Marboro Theatre

6817 Bay Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

JustinSheaOfAlfredNewYork
JustinSheaOfAlfredNewYork on February 6, 2005 at 3:39 pm

Does anyone have a date for the demolition of the Marboro yet? I’ll come down to Brooklyn to witness it.

YMike
YMike on February 1, 2005 at 5:16 am

Passed the Marboro on Sunday. One of the boards out front was pulled down and I guess anyone could enter the theatre if they wanted to.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on January 12, 2005 at 1:14 pm

It depends on what the area is zoned for. UA Court Street is 11 stories tall, I doubt they can get away with building something that size right on Bay Parkway.

EdPayton
EdPayton on January 12, 2005 at 12:33 pm

them used to make marboro cigaretes here

MarkW
MarkW on January 12, 2005 at 11:41 am

Either there will be few screens or they will build up like the Court Street Theatre.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on January 11, 2005 at 1:55 pm

Urbitran was the architecture firm that were responsible for the renovation of the UA Sheepshead Bay Theatre, wonder if they will be doing this project as well?

MarkW
MarkW on January 11, 2005 at 1:39 pm

Hopefully the name will be kept.

YMike
YMike on January 11, 2005 at 1:07 pm

Yes, To open in 2006.

FoxFan
FoxFan on January 11, 2005 at 12:48 pm

It it true? A new megaplex will be replacing the old Marlboro?

MarkW
MarkW on January 11, 2005 at 12:46 pm

I wonder what the new theatre will look like. If Regal was smart, They would buy the 4 houses behind the Marboro that are on Avenue O, Then they would have half the block and more room to play with.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on January 11, 2005 at 11:55 am

According to a recent article in the local Brooklyn papers, demolition of the Marboro is scheduled to begin in May of this year.

YMike
YMike on January 11, 2005 at 5:14 am

The lights have been turned off. Anyone know when the demolition is to begin?

MarkW
MarkW on December 13, 2004 at 4:00 pm

This urban explorer knows that too well :–)

But in this case I found out that entry is through the door after they call someone to remove a sheet of plywood.

sdoerr
sdoerr on December 9, 2004 at 2:50 pm

Urban Explorers such as myself always think there is always a way in, and there usually is. They most likely got in at a different location.

YMike
YMike on December 1, 2004 at 4:49 am

I heard the kittens were saved. Maybe the ghosts of theatre matrons past are turning them on and off.

MarkW
MarkW on December 1, 2004 at 1:56 am

Very strange indeed. They were on about 3 weeks ago and off the next night, I know that there is NO WAY in…. Maybe the kittens have taken over :–)

YMike
YMike on November 29, 2004 at 4:52 am

Passed by on Sunday. The Marque lights were turned on. The boards blocking the entrance are still in place so I do not know how anyone got in there to turn the lights on.

MarkW
MarkW on November 14, 2004 at 7:51 pm

The kittens are now a year old and doing well. As to others in the theatre, There is no way to tell as the building has been sealed pretty well this time.

MichelleS
MichelleS on November 7, 2004 at 9:11 pm

I grew up on Bay Parkway & West 10th street in the 70’s. I was feeling nostalgic and decided to look up some of my old “haunts” on the web. Wow, was I saddened to find this, especially the photos depicting the inside of the theater. I can remember standing in that lobby as if it were yesterday. RIP Marboro, and thanks for the wonderful memories. P.S. Anyone know if those rescued kittens are okay or if there are more cats in the theater who need help? I’m a volunteer animal rescuer and would try to get them some help if possible. I don’t live in the area anymore, but do have contacts.

SheaJC
SheaJC on October 29, 2004 at 10:28 pm

I was an employee of the Marboro theater until it closed in 2002. I can tell you all that every member of the staff took pride in the theater and we were all sad to see it close. Unfortunately, we did what we could, but could not do much without funding from Regal. We could not have the leaky roof sealed, or the faulty air-conditioning repaired. Instead of repairing faults as they occured, the theater was neglected and ended up in its final state. Regal is a penny-pincher of a corporation, and they showed no care to the Marboro, expect when they made the decision to close it. I am sad to see the Marboro being torn down because it is a fine piece of architecture, even it its current state. I do hope that they can preserve some of the ornate stonework around its entrance, but it is unlikely. I am glad that the Bensonhurst community is getting a fine new theater (with tickets at around $10.00 each, as they are in Sheepshead Bay), because it is much needed, and will succeed, as the Fortway and Alpine do with lack of parking. These are “community theaters” where employees know neighbors and locals, and that is how the Marboro was. Unfortunately, we will never have that again in a theater on Bay Parkway, and we will never be able to replace the Marboro.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 28, 2004 at 6:35 am

Mark, the catalog for the Michael Miller Slide Collection of Brooklyn theatres lists nine images for the Marboro. Six were taken in color in 1976 of the interior and exterior. Three are in B&W and show the auditorium when it first opened. Check out the website of Theatre Historical Society of America for ordering information:
www.historictheatres.org

MarkW
MarkW on October 27, 2004 at 8:21 pm

Thank you Warren! Would you have or know where I can find pictures of the Marboro from the 20’s-70’s?? Thanks!!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 24, 2004 at 8:37 am

Charles Sandblom was architect of the Marboro. Among his other Brooklyn projects at the time were the Congress, Walker, Carroll, Fortway, Biltmore, Empress, and Momart Theatres.

MarkW
MarkW on October 11, 2004 at 1:48 pm

Passed by today. Still sealed.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on October 5, 2004 at 7:59 am

I have a feeling any new theatre Regal Entertainment Group will open from now on will use the Regal Cinemas name, much like Loews Cineplex did with all their new theatres opening under the “Loews” banner.