Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 16, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Waaren, since the ads you post often have the Proquest “reproduction prohibited” tag still on them, isn’t this comment a bit hypocritical?

GeorgeTobor on May 16, 2009 at 8:40 am

Indeed I must whole heartily agree. The level of piracy that this individual exhibits is appalling. The excellent reputation of this blog is being diminished by these ill gotten photographs. It is time for the webmaster to put an end to this ludicrous practice.

kencmcintyre on May 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Here is another interior photo from the same era:

kencmcintyre on May 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Here is an interior photo, circa 1920s:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm

A 12/23/54 NY Daily News ad for “the greatest Christmas attraction of all time”. Er, I don’t think so … even Paul Newman would take issue with that statement:

Bway on April 30, 2009 at 10:14 am

While it’s a shame the Paramount is lost, at least they brought back the exterior, and a recreation of the marquee.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 13, 2009 at 2:06 pm

It doesn’t get much cooler than this:

P.S. Spend some time on this web site. It quickly becomes addictive!

robboehm on March 7, 2009 at 5:43 am

Well, my father was a smoker so that explains why we took the high road.

BoxOfficeBill on March 7, 2009 at 5:39 am

correction— I should have specified: “smoking was permitted in NYC theater balconies.” Balconies only. I came finally to climb to them as a teenager accompanied by friends, each with breast-pockets bulging with packs of Phillip Morris (my poison of choice) et al.

BoxOfficeBill on March 7, 2009 at 5:34 am

For my similar experience in the Paramount’s lofty balcony, scroll above to 3 March 2005. I don’t know why my mom climbed to the balcony that day. We never did at other theaters, except when accompanied by a smoker (her younger sister was one). IN those days, smoking was permitted in NYC theaters. It’s a wonder the projection beam was able to travel to the screen through all the celestial haze of Phillip Morris et al.

robboehm on March 6, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I. was only in the Paramount once with my parents as a child. At that time there was a movie and a stage show. On stage was Gene Krupa.

We climbed, and climbed up to our seats at the rear of the balconcy only to leave shortly thereafter when my mother had to leave because of the height factor which sometimes bothered her (Jones Beach Marine theatre and the Montauk Point lighthouse were the other times that I remember.)

Vito on December 3, 2008 at 9:51 am

Bob, I loved that clip as well. If only to once again see and hear that wonderful Eyes and Ears Paramount News opening and closing :)

BobFurmanek on December 3, 2008 at 9:26 am

Paramount newsreel covered this event. Check out the clip starting at 1:57 on YouTube:

RobertR on November 21, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Alan Ladd on screen and Miss Peggy Lee on stage

AnthonyBiancoviso on November 21, 2008 at 12:11 pm

To Warren Harris: How do you retrieve back (very Back!) copies of Variety?

Anthony Biancoviso

kencmcintyre on November 21, 2008 at 10:38 am

I heard that Jerry Lewis was thinking about running in 2012. No announcement yet, though.

roxy1927 on October 9, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Look at the women and girls in the Snow White photo.
They are all in dresses and skirts. I don’t see one in slacks.
And it looks like a matinee.

JackCoursey on October 7, 2008 at 6:52 pm

The following are September 2008 photos of the former Paramount Theatre: 1, 2, 3, 4

Rory on October 3, 2008 at 1:22 pm

“Love Me Tender” and “Snow White and The Three Stooges” would be because, I believe, the Paramount was the premiere theatre in NYC for some 20th Century-Fox movies for several years.
“The Best of Everything” and “Journey To The Center Of The Earth” both premiered there in late 1959.

42ndStreetMemories on August 22, 2008 at 5:12 am

I thought it was the singer, Frankie, that drew the crowds at the Paramount, apparently not…Great shot, RobertR.

CaptainAnthony on July 21, 2008 at 7:21 pm

This might shake some memories loose. I remember seeing two stage shows at the Paramount on Times Square. The first featured Phil Spitalny and His All-Girl Orchestra (featuring Evelyn and her magic violin). The second starred Johnny Ray.

AnthonyBiancoviso on July 21, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Re barton’s 7/26/04 posting- The night “Let’s Make Love” was sneak previewed at the Paramount, the regular attraction was “Hud.” I was there that night and saw Shirley MacLaine and Joan Collins, but not Milton Berle.

kencmcintyre on June 2, 2008 at 11:30 am

OK. I took some pictures, but not worth much now. Thanks.