Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

robboehm
robboehm on March 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Well, my father was a smoker so that explains why we took the high road.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on March 7, 2009 at 1:39 pm

correction— I should have specified: “smoking was permitted in NYC theater balconies.” Balconies only. I came finally to climb to them as a teenager accompanied by friends, each with breast-pockets bulging with packs of Phillip Morris (my poison of choice) et al.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on March 7, 2009 at 1:34 pm

rvb—

For my similar experience in the Paramount’s lofty balcony, scroll above to 3 March 2005. I don’t know why my mom climbed to the balcony that day. We never did at other theaters, except when accompanied by a smoker (her younger sister was one). IN those days, smoking was permitted in NYC theaters. It’s a wonder the projection beam was able to travel to the screen through all the celestial haze of Phillip Morris et al.

robboehm
robboehm on March 7, 2009 at 4:08 am

I. was only in the Paramount once with my parents as a child. At that time there was a movie and a stage show. On stage was Gene Krupa.

We climbed, and climbed up to our seats at the rear of the balconcy only to leave shortly thereafter when my mother had to leave because of the height factor which sometimes bothered her (Jones Beach Marine theatre and the Montauk Point lighthouse were the other times that I remember.)

Vito
Vito on December 3, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Bob, I loved that clip as well. If only to once again see and hear that wonderful Eyes and Ears Paramount News opening and closing :)

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Paramount newsreel covered this event. Check out the clip starting at 1:57 on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuEtIllFGQ4

RobertR
RobertR on November 22, 2008 at 12:58 am

Alan Ladd on screen and Miss Peggy Lee on stage

AnthonyBiancoviso
AnthonyBiancoviso on November 21, 2008 at 8:11 pm

To Warren Harris: How do you retrieve back (very Back!) copies of Variety?

Anthony Biancoviso

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 21, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I heard that Jerry Lewis was thinking about running in 2012. No announcement yet, though.

roxy1927
roxy1927 on October 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Look at the women and girls in the Snow White photo.
They are all in dresses and skirts. I don’t see one in slacks.
And it looks like a matinee.

JackCoursey
JackCoursey on October 8, 2008 at 2:52 am

The following are September 2008 photos of the former Paramount Theatre: 1, 2, 3, 4

Rory
Rory on October 3, 2008 at 9:22 pm

“Love Me Tender” and “Snow White and The Three Stooges” would be because, I believe, the Paramount was the premiere theatre in NYC for some 20th Century-Fox movies for several years.
“The Best of Everything” and “Journey To The Center Of The Earth” both premiered there in late 1959.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on August 22, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I thought it was the singer, Frankie, that drew the crowds at the Paramount, apparently not…Great shot, RobertR.

CaptainAnthony
CaptainAnthony on July 22, 2008 at 3:21 am

This might shake some memories loose. I remember seeing two stage shows at the Paramount on Times Square. The first featured Phil Spitalny and His All-Girl Orchestra (featuring Evelyn and her magic violin). The second starred Johnny Ray.

AnthonyBiancoviso
AnthonyBiancoviso on July 22, 2008 at 12:08 am

Re barton’s 7/26/04 posting- The night “Let’s Make Love” was sneak previewed at the Paramount, the regular attraction was “Hud.” I was there that night and saw Shirley MacLaine and Joan Collins, but not Milton Berle.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 2, 2008 at 7:30 pm

OK. I took some pictures, but not worth much now. Thanks.

William
William on June 2, 2008 at 7:25 pm

That’s right it’s all a re-creation.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 2, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I was in front of the Hard Rock yesterday. If I understand correctly, the marquee is a re-creation and not the original? Also the Paramount lettering on the building?

edblank
edblank on May 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Thanks for all of the extra information, Warren. I didn’t know enough then to be impressed by the combined Dorsey bands, and I’m guessing Joey Bishop was no more to me than someone who turned up on Ed Sullivan occasionally. I even enjoy knowing what we had trailers of that day.

edblank
edblank on May 28, 2008 at 5:45 am

Do I remember correctly that Frank Sinatra appeared here during the engagement of his “Johnny Concho”? He (oddly enough) co-produced this minor western, which he later dissed on the TV special “Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back."
I saw "Johnny Concho” at the Paramount and vaguely recall Sinatra making a live appearance.
Also caught “The Carpetbaggers” here on a mobbed Saturday night in the summer of 1964.

jflundy
jflundy on May 25, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Great pictures Warren !
Here is a lesser quality image from election night of 1928 showing part of the marquee as well as the Rialto vertical in the distance:

The crowd in the square is there to see the election results as hometown favorite Al Smith was defeated by Herbert Hoover.

ErnieN
ErnieN on May 7, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Great picture. I attended that show. Estrogen was rampant.

Cheers.

Ernie Nagy

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 3, 2008 at 4:14 am

This 1944 photo from the NYT may have been posted before. Apologies for any duplication:

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 1, 2008 at 2:50 am

Cooper’s subdued laconic on screen style doesn’t strike me as one that would have effectively translated on stage. I wonder how well it went over in the upper reaches of the Paramount. If his claims of exhaustion are to be believed (and there’s no reason to doubt it), I wonder if he didn’t tucker himself out from having to project to the theatre’s back rows. I can’t make out the details on the ad… does it say how many performances were scheduled for the day?