Brooklyn Paramount Theatre

385 Flatbush Avenue Extension,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

TRMiller
TRMiller on January 10, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Hi!
I appreciate your looking around. I’ll check into the PBS thing and let you know. Thanks again! I appreciate all the help!
Tom

LIUALI
LIUALI on January 10, 2008 at 11:16 am

hay TRMiller
The lady who might have that info. won’t be in till classes start up again on the 22nd. So I have been going around the school blindly looking till then. Nothing yet however I was told that PBS might have done a special on it so you might want to check that out as well. As soon as classes start I will make a trip up archivist to see if she has anything keep your fingers crossed.

LIUgirl

SPearce
SPearce on January 10, 2008 at 1:32 am

The following ad content ran in the May 10, 1946 NYC edition of the (Communist) Daily Worker. My guess – it was important to someone at this theater to support that newspaper at that time.

B'klyn Paramount Flatbush & DeKalb
Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour
“ROAD TO UTOPIA"
Extra! In Technicolor
"NAUGHTY NANETTE”

TRMiller
TRMiller on January 6, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Hello LIUgirl.
That would be great! Bob West was my maternal grandfather. I never met him as he abandoned his wife and four children and ran off to New York to be with some young starlet many, many years ago! In fact, I never heard grandma mention the name of the starlet so I am not sure who she was! He hung around with many of the famous actors and actresses of the era and was quite popular, so who knows who it might have been. He also played in Chicago and, I believe, Colorado. Obviously there is much more information on this side of his family that his other family, if he has one, might be interested in. So anything you might come up with just might be the thing we need to solve the mystery!
Have a safe day there in the Big Apple!
Tom

LIUALI
LIUALI on January 6, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Hi TRMiller

Since I will be on campus all day Monday I will be more than happy to see if I can find it for you.

TRMiller
TRMiller on January 6, 2008 at 7:42 am

Hello LIUgirl.
Do you know if any old photographs of the marquee exist with any of the performers names ‘up in lights’? Or do any other old photographs from the 1930’s to 50’s exist in an archive or library there? I am still looking for information about theatre organist Bob West, who played there many years ago!
Thanks.

LIUALI
LIUALI on January 5, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Hi I am a student at LIU and just so everyone knows LIU is not going to take down anything from the old gym. We use that area for school events as well as to register the incoming freshmen students on LIU day. The cafeteria will remain a cafeteria b/c it is the only one we have on campus and it is an awesome place to have lunch in. I mean the chandeliers are amazing. I know a lot of people believe that we do not care for the history that our school has but we do. No other university has the ambiance that LIU has. Also, Provost Haynes loves LIU and the history that main building has and she would never do anything to ruin or take away from the historic view. Provost Haynes should be given a lot more credit she is an amazing and inspirational women to say the least. Also, if you walk around the 3rd floor of the main building you can see that they kept all the same molding and not for nothing the bathrooms have not been changed in that building they are still theater bathrooms. LIU also has the original posters up from all the old movies they are framed and it is so awesome to look at them. I am sure if you ask for a tour of LIU by appointment they would be happy to do so the main number is 718-488-1000 I mean I would be happy to take pictures and prove it to you. Just let me know.

LuisV
LuisV on December 27, 2007 at 11:04 am

Wow! Great photos! Though this theater has lost a lot it does look totally salvagable. I assume that the original lobby colors were much darker and varied. It much have been beautiful back in the day.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 27, 2007 at 2:53 am

What a magnificent set of photos, Ken! Rather heartbreaking, actually. Given all that’s gone missing from the original ornamentation, it’s remarkable that so much still remains. With a new gymnasium in place for the university’s basketball team, I’m nervous as to what the future holds for this unique space. Thanks, once again!

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 26, 2007 at 11:51 pm

Excellent photoset Ken. Those are the best shots I have ever seen of the grand lobby as it exists today.

TRMiller
TRMiller on October 30, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Hello. I am looking for any information about personality theatre organist Bob West. During the 1930’s through possibly 1950, he played theatre organ at the Paramount Brooklyn Theatre, Fox Theatre in Brooklyn, and also theatres in Chicago. We have vintage music with his photo on the cover sheets, and some other family information about him. If you remember theatre organist Bob West, or know of any sources of information or family contacts for him, or any old memorabilia, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 26, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Apparently, an auction and dinner dance for the National Marine Educators Association was held at the LIU gym (former Bklyn Paramount) and if you scroll down past the first couple of photos on the page provided by ken mc, you’ll see a few photos of the event. The theatre itself is not the focus of any of the shots, but you can make out a glimpse of some of its remaining architectural elements in the background of one or two of the images.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 26, 2007 at 9:19 pm

There are a few pictures of the interior on this site:

kong1911
kong1911 on October 24, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Ed,
Sorry you missed the mini concert but it will happen again. Most likley early next year. As soon as I hear anything I will post it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 23, 2007 at 10:44 pm

I made it down to the former Paramount this past weekend (alas a week too late for the organ concert). I had my camera in hand, however, the guard on duty declined my requests to be let inside the gym/former auditorium. He was nice enough about it, but he said it was his first day and he just didn’t want to take the risk. Anyway, I strolled around the place and snapped some shots of the exterior.

Corner Flatbush & Dekalb
Rear view
Side view
Exit doors
Sidewall ornamentation
Sidewall ornamentation alt view
Ornamentation close up
Ornamentation detail
Smiling face
Exit door molding detail

How many ecstatic teens came pouring out of those side doors after an Allen Freed show at the Paramount in the late ‘50’s!

kong1911
kong1911 on October 10, 2007 at 8:05 am

I found out that the organ will be used this saturday from 1 to 4 PM as a mini-concert I’m told that all are welcome to come and listen. This means the auditorium only.

Leow2006
Leow2006 on September 7, 2007 at 11:48 am

I just hope to god the LIU don’t tear this wonderful buiding down. It was bad enough when they mutilated the once-lovely interior. Ideally speaking, it would be nice to see the exterior marquee, and the auditorium restored to their original glory. If anyone has any further news on any further developments regarding this lovely theatre, pleas let me know.

Thanks.

kong1911
kong1911 on August 26, 2007 at 11:56 am

To Dave,

I do not remember much re: the Alan Freed shows but there is a Alan Freed web site that has just about everything about him with photos of those days. Don’t have the web address handy but you can find it by doing a search.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 25, 2007 at 3:22 pm

kong1911 – when did Alan Freed do the shows at the Loew’s Oriental, before or after the Bkln Paramount?

Mariec53
Mariec53 on August 25, 2007 at 1:43 pm

To Kong1911….Wow….that’s right….thanks so much….I forgot all about those days til I found this site…..thanks again!

kong1911
kong1911 on August 25, 2007 at 8:34 am

To Mariec53, Murry the K shows were at the Brooklyn Fox about 2 blocks away. Allen Freed did shows at the Paramount.

Mariec53
Mariec53 on August 25, 2007 at 4:43 am

I remember going to rock and roll shows at the Paramount when I was like 11 or 12, maybe younger. But I always thought they were Murray the K shows….weren’t they? I remember seeing the Ronettes, the Shangra-las and maybe even the Four Seasons…..we used to get up at like 4am to get the train to the theatre and wait on line for hours………memories!!!!!

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 9, 2007 at 1:37 pm

From Variety May 5, 1950

GRIM TRAILER

Paramount theatre, Brooklyn, was focal point in a gruesome joke last Saturday when a man committed suicide by jumping out of a window and landing on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Picture at the theatre was D.O.A.