Beverly Center 13 Cinemas

8522 Beverly Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on September 3, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Looks like the opening is being delayed even further. Sounds like that there will be more than a few changes at the theatres (my best guess: they are installing digital projection in all auditoriums and doing some cosmetic changes as well).

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 29, 2009 at 2:22 am

Woop — you beat me to it.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 29, 2009 at 2:22 am

The phone line now states they need “extra time preparing” and will be open NEXT Friday with showtimes available on Wednesday. Shows how much the Rave rep I talked to knew.

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 29, 2009 at 2:21 am

Called their number and they say “we need more time to get the theatre ready, call back Wednesday.” I can only imagine.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 29, 2009 at 2:16 am

They’re listed in the Independent Theatre section in today’s Los Angeles Times. But they have no movies or times listed.

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 29, 2009 at 2:07 am

Well, the big day is here. Did it open?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on August 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Something’s fishy about all this. I think they are just jockeying to be the front runners if/when Beverly Center mgmt decide to build a new theatre there.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I contacted Rave again and they assured me the theater would re-open tomorrow. But no showtimes on any major website, on the phone line, or in the publications I’ve seen. If this is any indication of how it will be run, then Houston, this place is doomed for more failure.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 23, 2009 at 1:36 am

As stated above, Rave said there would be no significant programming changes.

As for ticket prices, we’ll have to wait ‘til Tuesday.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 20, 2009 at 1:27 am

Any new news on what the new operators are planning for the Beverly Center. Will it be 2nd run films as before?

richjr37
richjr37 on August 11, 2009 at 1:57 am

Exactly! Close and remodel completely or close and build somewhere else in B.H.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 11, 2009 at 12:56 am

Pretty much anyone who takes over the Beverly Center theatres will have to run them as they are. There is not much you can do to improve them without gutting the place out and starting from scratch. As far as bookings; they will have to contend on getting 2nd run. Mann just pretty much took all the moveovers from The Grove and occasionally a really crappy film Pacific did not want for The Grove.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I have a hard time believing that they’d want to build in the general vicinity of the BevCenter, what with the Grove and Century City siphoning off business.

And Regency would NEVER want a 13-screen discount house. That’s a semi-insane concept in the first place.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on August 10, 2009 at 11:02 pm

I think they’re just using this as a means to break into the LA market – if and when they decide to build a whole new theatre in or around the Center, they want first dibs. They have no business taking over this place. I said it before – I said it again: Beverly Center should either be a Regency discount house or put out of it’s misery outright!

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 10:58 pm

They are VERY responsive on twitter.com/ravemovies to all your concerns. Thus far, I’ve recommended that they work to lower ticket prices to $5 for second-run shows and negotiate a parking validation deal with the BevCenter.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Will they live up to this?: “our main objective is to provide the best possible customer service and experience possible within the current environment [of the Beverly Center 13].”

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm

RMP = Rave Motion Picture — AKA the all DLP, all stadium seating brand.

Follow up: “the show lineup is to be similiar to what is being run now. Any renovations are at the discretion of the Beverly Center.”

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm

looks like some words are missing. Also what is an RMP?

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I just received this response via Twitter from Rave: “we will operate the location but as The Beverly & not an RMP. Wide scale DLP isn’t planned, but 1 screen or so is possible.”

I will continue to try to find stuff out via this avenue.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I wondered that, too, but the auditoriums aren’t really long enough for that. In that case, you’d have a setup like the MPark 4, where the auditorium is ridiculously wide for the screen. If there was more time, I wouldn’t rule it out that they were eating into that wide hallway, but no way is that a 3 week project.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on August 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I wonder if they plan to combine screens? Thus getting rid of some that seat 67.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Keep in mind, though: the bulk of the stuff has got to be done by Aug. 28, unless they do a limited opening of only a few auditoriums ala ArcLight Sherman Oaks.

Three weeks is certainly long enough to install Rave-standard DLP setups. (Funny as it is to think those tiny screens could be running 4k.) Then again, given the chain will be hard pressed to live up to its “100% stadium seating” claim, maybe they won’t be following the DLP one, either. As much as I dislike DLP, I will say it would be great to see a second-run house like this (provided it is indeed remaining second run) run it, as it would eliminate the worn & torn prints.

What they’ll do with the auditoriums — no idea. Any attempt to install newer seating would result in a major reduction in auditorium capacity (you could barely sit without your knees touching the chair in front of you as it was). Time-wise, though, they could pull it off.

That all said, I would be SHOCKED to see major changes. How you could make the place a modern cinema without almost completely gutting it is beyond me.

This is what I don’t get about the Rave thing. The BevCenter 13, much as I love it in an 80s cineplex kinda way, is the antithesis of the amenities listed on their website.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 10, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Thank you,Chris.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on August 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Glad you corrected yourself on my behalf. I only posted that it had been closed. I had no idea who was gonna pick the place up. I was hoping it was Regency (makes all the sense in the world!) but, alas, Rave is the winner.

What in the world are they gonna do with this place? I went to a Rave in Las Vegas once. The place was drowning in a sea of VERY! LOUD! NEON GREEN & ORANGE! Can’t really see that color scheme working out over there…let alone the aforementioned issues with projection/sound/etc. We will see.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 9, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Boy is my face red. I really need to check my facts before i post.

I apologize for my previous posts.