Commack Multiplex Cinemas

100 Long Island Expressway,
Commack, NY 11725

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

moviegoer
moviegoer on May 4, 2005 at 8:38 pm

I live about 3 minutes away from the Commack Multiplex but since I got my driver’s license in 1991 I have only been there once. It’s a pit. Now I drive 20 minutes to get to the Island 16 or sometimes Regal Ronkonkoma or Loews Stony Brook. If NA is going to tear it down and open another De Luxe, that would be a welcome change indeed.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 14, 2005 at 7:55 pm

I think i read build first take down 2nd

Bway
Bway on February 14, 2005 at 7:53 pm

Will they fist build the new theater in the parking lot while continuing to operate the old building, or will they shut the theater down completely while construction takes place (which could be quite a while with the time of demolition to the end of new construction).
If it’s anything like the Island 16 in Holtsville, it will be quite nice.

cinemaboy
cinemaboy on February 13, 2005 at 9:36 pm

The architect for this theater, as well as Boston’s Pi Alley, and almost if not all of the Sack Cinemas, and Sonny and Eddy’s Cinemas, and many independently owned cinemas, was Burt W. Federman. His office was in Park Square and he designed or “twinned” literally thousands of cinemas in the New England area. By the 1980’s, he designed many of the Showcase cinemas located in New England and the central atlantic states. He passed away in 1987. He had also developed a soundproofing system for cinemas which had been first used in a mutiplex he had designed in the Bronx.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 13, 2005 at 9:01 pm

Soon to be torn down to make room for a new mega plex like island 16

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on November 1, 2004 at 7:37 am

The projection room here, as with the Sunrise in Valley Stream, is extremely long and narrow. It is like being in a submarine. If at one end or the other, you cannot see the other end of the booth. It is that far away. Only one projectionist is on duty at a time. To get from one end to the other at both places, a projectionist has to use a two-wheel foot scooter to thread projectors, start shows, raise and lower volume, check focus, etc. It is insane…

Bway
Bway on October 5, 2004 at 8:54 am

The Commack Cinemas is not closed yet, unless you mean the Multiplex Cinemas in Brookhaven linked above.

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 5, 2004 at 8:36 am

If this theater is torn down, does anyone know what’s going to happen to the neon signs in the lobby? I’d be willing to plunk down some cash for that “Rick’s Cafe Americain” sign.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 4, 2004 at 4:07 pm

i HAVE SUBMITTED THE RKO COMMACK TWIN AS A NEW THEATER

Orlando
Orlando on October 4, 2004 at 1:58 pm

The operation of this theatre has suffered in the past 8 years or so due to poor management and a facility in which cleanliness was not a priority. If money had been spent on the auditoriums, just to clean them up instead of the two remodels of the lobby and concession stands, this place would still have good numbers today. When I was there, this theatre was grossing over $150,000 a week and over $200,000 a week in the summer weeks. The concession was also huge topping over $50,000 a week in the summer with a concession payroll at below the 10% of the concession gross. If we only got commission then as they do now, there would be no excuae to have a theatre in this condition. Today it is the concession area and not the “movies” and their surroundings that are i9mportant to theatre owners. “It’s a shame, you know” as one of National Amusements' district managers use to say.

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 4, 2004 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the info, longislandmovies. I always thought that the Multiplex ran it out of business. Do you know when it closed and what the last movie was?

I also remember seeing “Grease” and “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” there.

Bway
Bway on October 4, 2004 at 9:45 am

Here’s a photo of the Commack Cinemas' sister theater, the Brookhaven Multiplex, which now sits abandoned because NA replaced it with the Island 16 Cinema de Lux in Holtsville nearby.

Click on my October 4th Message in the Brookhaven’s section linked below for a photo of the Brookhaven. Commack’s building was almost identical, and had a similar history.

/theaters/7672/

RobertR
RobertR on October 4, 2004 at 8:53 am

Great web site, I remember the RKO twin buit not the Mayfair.

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 4, 2004 at 8:37 am

It was actually both, lostmemory. You’re thinking of the Commack RKO Twin and Drive-In Theater (right next to it). In fact, that was where my father took me to see “Star Wars” for the first time on a rainy Saturday afternoon. To say it blew my little six-year-old mind is an understatement. The funny thing was, I didn’t want to see it because I thought it was a war movie— with soldiers and tanks and stuff like that. I still remember every detail about that day. I was watching “Super Friends” and after the movie, my Dad lost his keys at King Kullen.

Both the RKO Twin and the Drive-In shut down sometime in the mid-80’s, a few years after the Commack Multiplex ran them out of business (and now THAT is rumored to be coming down as well). The buildings (and that of the Long Island Arena) stood vacant for well over a decade, until they were demolished and turned into a shopping center anchored by Target.

For pictures of the RKO Twin and Drive-In, check these out:

Orlando
Orlando on October 1, 2004 at 10:45 am

I opened this theatre as the first managing director. It opened in November of 1983. I left in 1985 and at the time this was the second largest grossing theatre in the country behind the Sunrise Multiplex Cinemas in Valley Stream.

Nyce475
Nyce475 on October 1, 2004 at 10:25 am

There is rumors that this theatre is going to be closed and demolished in the next 6 months to make way for the new Cinema de Lux that National Amusements plans to build in it’s parking lot