RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,243 comments

BobbyS on November 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

How do these people stay out of jail? Imagine taking on the Keith’s and the Keith’s wins.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

SWC, I’m thankful that you’ve photographed surviving portions of the Keith’s interior, and that you’ve been kind enough to share them here. Please don’t withdraw any posts or photos based solely on the petty criticisms of others.

BobbyS on November 14, 2013 at 12:04 am

You would think so. The Indian culture is very ornate as well as the Chinese. They both show films in major cities, but I think the size of the RKO was against even their budgets. A cultural center is another matter. It is tailor made for that and should have been persuade.

Paul Noble
Paul Noble on November 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Have any Chinese or Indian movie chains or producers ever considered turning the Keith’s into a cultural center for the massive Asian communities of the Flushing area?

Shaw on November 13, 2013 at 10:54 am

First of all its screed, not skreed. CinemaTreasures even has spell check. And holes that were hammered through? They must have had a backhoe on the roof then. You could fit a 747 through some of those.

yanksali on November 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I went to the RKO Keith’s in Flushing virtually every Saturday as a kid in the 1950s to see sci fi movies. Fantastic place, and memories. Does anyone know how someone got to the offices on the second story? Some photos show law offices on the second story. Was there a separate door? I do not see any doorways on the outside of the building to permit someone to get to the second story. If anyone has a recollection of how access to the second floor offices was obtained, please share it.

Shaw on November 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Amazing survival my ass. The place is falling apart and has giant holes in the ceiling. Your pictures are pretty good though….if you were 5 years old.

paktype on August 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I think I saw a movie here very close to the closing date, but I can’t remember the name.

GlenBarrie on August 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

This was my theater of the sixties, I can not count how many great movies I had seen there. It was a beautiful place. there is a depressing video tour of the place, found on You Tube. A ghost of its former self, the video is like revisiting the Titanic.

BobbyS on July 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I would imagine the money is not there for this project to start. Months & years later, this tarnished gem hangs on..

gd14lawn on June 13, 2013 at 3:11 am

Any word on the current status of this project?

SWCphotography on May 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I am absolutely convinced that there is nothing of
value left in the theatre

Jeffrey1955 on January 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm

In the case of the Paradise, it appears to be that the megachurch had megabucks that the owner couldn’t refuse. In the case of the Keith’s (and I suspect in most cases) it is politicians in the pocket of developers.

LuisV on January 24, 2013 at 11:54 am

And sometimes it is just poor management.

robboehm on January 24, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oft times it’s also building codes and permits that kill projects such as the theatre in Stapleton, Staten Island.

BobbyS on January 23, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I wonder why the Paradise did not make it as a music venure. They had such grand plans(like the King’s have). Maybe there is just so much money to go around for entertainment. I wonder if this is the same church that wanted to buy the Portage Theater in Chicago and was turned down. They also have the old Loew’s in Brookyln. I believe it was the Metropolitan.

Jeffrey1955 on January 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I somehow missed the fact that the resplendently restored Loew’s Paradise in the Bronx has been bought by a mega church, and construction workers there had already managed to start a fire on Nov. 5 that caused heavy smoke damage. It’s a shame that so few of these stories end in Happily Ever After.

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Having been inside both recently – the Kings is in much better shape, and will be much easier to restore. However, I don’t think the Keith’s is beyond repair. I hope that the development falls through and someone comes along to restore the theater.

Jeffrey1955 on January 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Look at the interior of the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn and compare it to the shots of the Keith’s. Why is one being refurbished and the other considered a total loss? http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/loew-article-1.1245330

LugosiResearch on December 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

On Tuesday 30 January 1951, Bela “Dracula” Lugosi presented his in person Horror and Magic Stage show at RKO Keiths. Currently I am conducting research on all things Lugosi; if anyone out there actually saw this show and/or has memorabilia (poster, handbill, photos) related to this show, please contact Bill at Thanks in advance for any assistance!

SWCphotography on December 4, 2012 at 1:22 am

Center Proscenium with damage evident
Developer instructions:
demolish, subdivide and replace with sheetrock

BobbyS on December 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm

The fact that the RKO Keith’s is still standing today is truely amazing to me. After all the years and all the drama, this grand lady refuses to give up…..

WilliamMcQuade on December 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

This saga will never end. Not content with destroying the Loews Triboro, Democrat Donald Manes (Queens Borough President) turned down landmark designation for the full theater. He gave a sop to preservationists by designating the lobby only. Flash forward to today . This & the Triboru were the result of political shady deals .I worked on both preservation efforts & would never waste my time like this again.

SWCphotography on December 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm

After 26 years of neglect there has been
a lot of damage to this theatre.
But then there are two sides to every coin: