Showing 76 - 100 of 2,962 comments found
The Strand Theatre first opened on August 29, 1921. The feature film was The Three Musketeers with Douglas Fairbanks. Here is a newspaper article reporting on that opening.
ARTICLE ABOUT OPENING OF THE THEATRE
Announcements of what’s playing at Pawtucket and Central Falls movie theatres in November, 1921:
LISTINGS IN PROVIDENCE NEWS
New organ installed in Imperial Theatre in 1921. REPORTED HERE
Christmas party for 700 kids at the United Theatre in 1936.
The Rialto Theatre had a fire in July 1924 which almost destroyed the theatre.
Trahan’s Theatre (not “Trahon”) becomes the Community after refurbishing. Ad announcing opening on September 5, 1931:
Newspaper article reporting the opening, from Providence County Times, September 4, 1931:
Sexual awareness public service films, 1924. The End of the Road, and Prostitution and the Police. MEN ONLY, OVER 16
Red Cross Christmas drive in Bristol begins. Col. John E. Bailey addressed audience at the Star Theatre in 1918:
Yes, they indeed showed movies here too. This notice is from the Harmony (Village) column in the Providence County Times, January 9, 1925:
“Several from this place attended the picture show at Diamond Hall, Greenville, Wednesday evening.”
The play A Sewing Circle at Mrs. Martins at Diamond Hall on June 3, 1925, per the Evening Tribune.
This Providence News piece from January 11, 1919 reports on plans to use the Lafayette Theatre (earlier name for the Strand & Jane Pickens) as a “community theatre.”
The Scenic Temple first opened on Mathewson Street on December 31, 1906. The News-Democrat reported:
“The New Scenic Temple on Mathewson Street, formerly the Mathewson Street skating rink, opens today with motion pictures, illustrated songs and other attractive forms of entertainment. The temple will be open daily from noon until 10:30 P.M., and the programs will be changed on Thursday.”
OPENING DAY AD.
The building had originally been the Westminster Congregational Church, opened 1829.
Mayor Mahoney of Newport tells alien clergyman in 1922 he has no right to ask questions, one of which was “Have you withdrawn an officer from in front of the Bijou for preventing boys and girls under age from entering that theatre in violation of the law?"
Link to article in The Providence News:
The Park Theatre was sued in 1928 by the Vitaphone Corporation.
Lights out in 1919!!!
RESOURCEFUL MANAGER uses headlights from two cars to light theatre.
The above newspaper article refers to a 1913 opening. Actually the theatre opened a year later on October 26, 1914. 1919 was the fifth aniversary, not the sixth.
Article in The Providence News, October 24, 1919, on the sixth anniversary of the opening of the Royal Theatre on October 26, 1913.
Lots of background on the theatre is contained here, including the addition to the building that raised seating capacity from 900 to 1500.
The first three full-time downtown Providence movie theatres were these: Nickel, Scenic Temple, Bijou. There are others that did show films previously but they were sporadic showings, or in the case of the Lyric, short-lived. Movies were the main policy, though the Scenic Temple did include vaudeville acts. This ad from August 1, 1908 makes clear the growing trend: moving pictures are here to stay! They are not a mere innovation.
NICKEL, SCENIC TEMPLE, BIJOU