Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,201 - 1,225 of 1,467 comments

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 20, 2005 at 9:30 am

Bill Huelbig…. It would be even Better to see it on the big screen. This one with 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea would be a kick a.. double feature.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 20, 2005 at 9:04 am

Theaterat: This review of the Jules Verne DVD says the transfer is not perfect, but good enough:

I’m glad I was able to help you find a copy. I’ll bet we’re not the only ones. There must be hundreds of now-grown kids who saw it back then on Channel 9 and would love to see it again.

hardbop
hardbop on May 20, 2005 at 8:55 am

CRACK IN THE WORLD may not be on DVD, but it does pop up on TV. I have it on tape, taped off TV. I probably taped it 10 years ago or more, but never got around to watching it.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 20, 2005 at 8:28 am

Bill Huelbig…Thank you, thank you. No wonder I went crazy trying to hunt it down. I had the name wrong. Going to the web site TODAY to order it. And you are right, the score was teriffic. Can`t wait to get it, I just hope the DVD transfer does it justice.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 19, 2005 at 5:35 pm

Theaterat: You are exactly right! That movie was fantastic, and I watched it every time it came on Channel 9. Besides the amazing visual quality, it also has one of the most beautiful music scores ever written for a fantasy film.

I recently found out that it’s available on DVD from Nostalgia Video

I should be getting my copy any day now.

By the way, the actual (American) title is “The Fabulous World of Jules Verne”.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 19, 2005 at 10:41 am

RE rare or rarely seen si fi films, does anyboby out there remember a film called “The Incredible world of Jules Verne”. I remember seeing it on the old Channel 9 movies in the late 60s and early 70s.This unique and visually stylistic film was shot in black and white and featured an amazing combination of graphics, animation and model sequences that resembled 19th century book engravings.I think it was made in Czechoslovakia in the early 60s. Even today with the CGI and computer animation, this would blow most of them away!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 18, 2005 at 3:43 pm

“Crack in the World” is an unusual and exciting choice – it’s not on home video as far as I know, and hasn’t been shown on TV in years. It’s too good to be seen as rarely as it is. Can’t wait to see it on a theater screen for the first time.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 18, 2005 at 3:03 pm

I will be in NYC (from the UK) and look forward to going back to Loew’s Jersey to see the theatre ‘in action’ on the night of ‘Crack’ & ‘Body’.

I haven’t been inside the building since I organised a tour for the Cinema Theatre Association (UK) back in November 2000, so I am especially keen to see how the ongoing restoration is progressing and of course enjoy an evening at the movies, in a true movie palace.

hardbop
hardbop on May 18, 2005 at 1:09 pm

It looks I’ll be making the trek under the Hudson both days. I’ve never seen CRACK IN THE WORLD at all, though I’ve seen BODY SNATCHERS and will bail out after the first movie.

I am not a big fan of STAR TREK; in fact, I hate STAR TREK, so I haven’t seen any of the ST films but I may make my way there for KAHN. I have seen TRON.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on May 17, 2005 at 1:58 pm

The Loews Jersey’s next movie weekend is now online.

Friday 6/3/2005 Double Feature

• Crack In The World
  • Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Saturday 6/4/2005

• Tron
  • Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

Check out http://www.loewsjersey.org for more info.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on May 12, 2005 at 1:14 pm

Thanks guys, I am considering it. If members of my family will join me, I will go.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 12, 2005 at 12:55 pm

PATH stations in midtown Manhattan: 33rd St., 23rd St., 14th St., 9th St., Christopher St. (all on or near 6th Ave.) Downtown: the World Trade Center PATH station. Take PATH to the Journal Square station, and when you come outside walk to your left and you will soon see the Loew’s.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 11:56 am

Gustavelifting…. The PATH subway stops right across the street from the Jersey. I think you have to take it somewhere in Manhattan. You can call the “311” info nomber to check it/ I drive thru Staten Island and take the Bayonne Bridge to JKennedy Blvd. to get there.With no traffic, I can make it in 40 minutes.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on May 11, 2005 at 9:15 pm

One day I may take a trip to the Loew’s Jersey. Is there a train station near it?

teecee
teecee on May 11, 2005 at 4:32 am

my post is clearly for Jersey city not Brooklyn.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on May 10, 2005 at 8:45 pm

The Loew’s Kings is in Brooklyn, not New Jersey. Thanks anyway TC.

teecee
teecee on May 10, 2005 at 11:25 am

NJ historic trust information:

uncleal923
uncleal923 on May 9, 2005 at 3:04 pm

I know that there are some people on this page who know what I am doing with the Loew’s Kings, another wonder theater like the Jersey. I just figured some of you may want to join us.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 9, 2005 at 7:58 am

Rhett: Too bad you didn’t stay for Patton. Actually that was one of the Loew’s shortest waits between shows, a little more than an hour. Sometimes they run up to more than two hours. You could’ve gotten something to eat at the V.I.P. Diner, a little ways further up Kennedy Blvd. (see above post). As for driving back, there’s almost no traffic at that time of night (it ended around 11:20 PM). It’s also safe – I wound up walking halfway back to Weehawken by the time my bus came along at 11:50.

umbaba
umbaba on May 8, 2005 at 6:45 am

“Great Escape” was my first visit to the Loews..WOW…..my jaw dropped…what a theater…..I’ve never visited before because Jersey City isn’t the best of neighborhoods and the showtimes are usually too late…but this one i made work (Would the Loews consider an early start time for matinees…The Lafayette starts at 11:30am on Saturday and they get huge crowds…sometimes it’s just too late a start that takes up the day….for me at least…anyway) The print was awesome..although the projectionist at times seemed to be asleep at the wheel (sound loss, framing ) but an overall good experience….I really wanted to stay for Patton but it was too long to wait between shows and a 8:15 start time meant a late departure and driving through Jersey City back to route 3 would have been a nightmare so I reluctantly skipped it…I came back the next day for “Great Dictator”…it was great…I’m sorry there wasn’t more of a crowd…it deserved better….the theater did…My hat’s off to ALL the volunteers who give their time to keep classic movies, theaters and moviegoing alive…I hope the Loews Jersey goes to bigger and better and gets sell-out crowds…

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 2, 2005 at 11:37 am

Bill Huelbig….That is EXACTLY the way I felt when I went to the Jersey on 3 5 05 for my first time to see Ben Hur!It was unbelievable, especially the movie fans I spoke with for the first time. Seems like I knew them for years. I almost had to ask somebody to pinch me to prove it was not a dream!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 2, 2005 at 9:25 am

If you take the Stanley tour on the same day as a Loew’s Jersey show, you’ll feel like you died and went to movie palace heaven.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 2, 2005 at 8:16 am

Irv… The Stanley Does give tours, but I have never taken one. Just check it on “search Theaters” for more info. I am looking to take one in the near future. Prehaps I can combine it with a trip to the Jersey on the same day.Have fun!

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on May 2, 2005 at 7:59 am

Hardbop-

I noticed that other theater as well. It’s called The Stanley. The Jehovah Witnesses bought it and have restored it. I don’t think they show movies there but I read somewhere that they give tours.

hardbop
hardbop on May 2, 2005 at 7:37 am

One more thing, what is the theatre that is diagonally across the street from Loews Jersey City? It is on the same side of the street as the PATH station. That building, which still has a marquee, seems to be open, though I’m not sure what is in there. I doubt it is a theatre and I didn’t have a chance to walk by Saturday.

Oh, by the way, I did patronize the VIP diner, but didn’t have a chance to sample the Lime Rickey. Maybe next time.