Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,201 - 1,225 of 1,456 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 12, 2005 at 3:55 pm

PATH stations in midtown Manhattan: 33rd St., 23rd St., 14th St., 9th St., Christopher St. (all on or near 6th Ave.) Downtown: the World Trade Center PATH station. Take PATH to the Journal Square station, and when you come outside walk to your left and you will soon see the Loew’s.

Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 2:56 pm

Gustavelifting…. The PATH subway stops right across the street from the Jersey. I think you have to take it somewhere in Manhattan. You can call the “311” info nomber to check it/ I drive thru Staten Island and take the Bayonne Bridge to JKennedy Blvd. to get there.With no traffic, I can make it in 40 minutes.

uncleal923 on May 12, 2005 at 12:15 am

One day I may take a trip to the Loew’s Jersey. Is there a train station near it?

teecee on May 11, 2005 at 7:32 am

my post is clearly for Jersey city not Brooklyn.

uncleal923 on May 10, 2005 at 11:45 pm

The Loew’s Kings is in Brooklyn, not New Jersey. Thanks anyway TC.

teecee on May 10, 2005 at 2:25 pm

NJ historic trust information:

uncleal923 on May 9, 2005 at 6:04 pm

I know that there are some people on this page who know what I am doing with the Loew’s Kings, another wonder theater like the Jersey. I just figured some of you may want to join us.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 9, 2005 at 10:58 am

Rhett: Too bad you didn’t stay for Patton. Actually that was one of the Loew’s shortest waits between shows, a little more than an hour. Sometimes they run up to more than two hours. You could’ve gotten something to eat at the V.I.P. Diner, a little ways further up Kennedy Blvd. (see above post). As for driving back, there’s almost no traffic at that time of night (it ended around 11:20 PM). It’s also safe – I wound up walking halfway back to Weehawken by the time my bus came along at 11:50.

umbaba on May 8, 2005 at 9:45 am

“Great Escape” was my first visit to the Loews..WOW…..my jaw dropped…what a theater…..I’ve never visited before because Jersey City isn’t the best of neighborhoods and the showtimes are usually too late…but this one i made work (Would the Loews consider an early start time for matinees…The Lafayette starts at 11:30am on Saturday and they get huge crowds…sometimes it’s just too late a start that takes up the day….for me at least…anyway) The print was awesome..although the projectionist at times seemed to be asleep at the wheel (sound loss, framing ) but an overall good experience….I really wanted to stay for Patton but it was too long to wait between shows and a 8:15 start time meant a late departure and driving through Jersey City back to route 3 would have been a nightmare so I reluctantly skipped it…I came back the next day for “Great Dictator”…it was great…I’m sorry there wasn’t more of a crowd…it deserved better….the theater did…My hat’s off to ALL the volunteers who give their time to keep classic movies, theaters and moviegoing alive…I hope the Loews Jersey goes to bigger and better and gets sell-out crowds…

Theaterat on May 2, 2005 at 2:37 pm

Bill Huelbig….That is EXACTLY the way I felt when I went to the Jersey on 3 5 05 for my first time to see Ben Hur!It was unbelievable, especially the movie fans I spoke with for the first time. Seems like I knew them for years. I almost had to ask somebody to pinch me to prove it was not a dream!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 2, 2005 at 12:25 pm

If you take the Stanley tour on the same day as a Loew’s Jersey show, you’ll feel like you died and went to movie palace heaven.

Theaterat on May 2, 2005 at 11:16 am

Irv… The Stanley Does give tours, but I have never taken one. Just check it on “search Theaters” for more info. I am looking to take one in the near future. Prehaps I can combine it with a trip to the Jersey on the same day.Have fun!

evmovieguy on May 2, 2005 at 10:59 am

I noticed that other theater as well. It’s called The Stanley. The Jehovah Witnesses bought it and have restored it. I don’t think they show movies there but I read somewhere that they give tours.

hardbop on May 2, 2005 at 10:37 am

One more thing, what is the theatre that is diagonally across the street from Loews Jersey City? It is on the same side of the street as the PATH station. That building, which still has a marquee, seems to be open, though I’m not sure what is in there. I doubt it is a theatre and I didn’t have a chance to walk by Saturday.

Oh, by the way, I did patronize the VIP diner, but didn’t have a chance to sample the Lime Rickey. Maybe next time.

hardbop on May 2, 2005 at 10:31 am

Damn. I know that feeling. I thought all the obnoxious people sit next to me! I usually find that the loud ones are when two-middle aged women sit next to each other. They usually gab their way through the films. I got into it with this idiot — a man — at a recent screening of “The King & I” at an AMPAS screening in Manhattan. I don’t mind the popcorn eating when they sell it at the theatre, but this jerk brought his popcorn with him in Tupperware into the AMPAS theatre where eating is forbidden. He was right behind me too.

I also was at the Loews J.C. on Saturday for both THE GREAT ESCAPE and PATTON and it was nice to see both (for the first time) on the big screen. Maltin gives both films “4-star” ratings, though I don’t think the clunky GREAT ESCAPE deserves that high a rating. PATTON was flat out terrific and George C. Scott gave the performance of his life. The GREAT ESCAPE PRINT, despite the faux pas with the sound, was the better of the two prints. PATTON, IMHO, was the better of the two films. I actually found Elmer Bernstein’s score in TGE to be cloying, annoying and it called attention to itself.

More on sci fi, the guy who gives the spiels before the flicks mentioned that two potential titles are the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and THE WRATH OF KHAN.

Theaterat on May 1, 2005 at 12:35 pm

Irv….Good point!When this not too chatty middle aged guy goes to the movies, I try to talk as low as I can if there is something to say.I am NOT an elitist snob, but I feel that people who go to a great theayer to experience classic films have a bit more class than teenagers or young adults have when they go to a multiplex to see a movie like"Spiderman? or “The Matrix”.

evmovieguy on May 1, 2005 at 10:52 am

I was only there yesterday for ‘The Great Escape’ which was excellent. And yes it was funny when the sound went out at the beginning of one of the reels. Great film. Can’t wait for the Sci-Fi films in June. Any chance Loews Jersey could run films more often. Every other week perhaps? I’ll help..I promise. That place is so amazing, I hate waiting a month before I can go there again.

And if you’ll indulge me while I bitch and moan for a second: I’m a little amazed at the rudeness of a few of the people that go to some of these revival screenings. Yesterday at ‘The Great Escape’, and last week at ‘Suspicion’ at The Lafayette in Suffern I had the slight misfortune of sitting in front of a pair of obnoxious, chatty, loud, middle aged men. Maybe yesterday’s pair were the evil twins of the guys the week before. Generally speaking people that go to these screenings are more considerate than your average film going audience since the whole experience is being appreciated on a different level. But in both these scenarios, the men in both theaters insisted on chatting with each other and doing their best Ebert & Roeper impersonations during the film, and just to make it that much more interesting the guys yesterday were belching out loud and really letting people know that they could chomp on their popcorn. I’m not being overly sensitive about this, it was REALLY loud (the guys yesterday were not one, but two rows behind us and I could still hear it). This usually never happens. I know…I should actually be saying something at that moment, but it’s just going to turn into a scene, believe me. So if any of you chatty, belching, middle-aged dudes are reading this right now, please have a little decorum and don’t ruin it for others (alhtough I know some of you make a hobby out of bugging people and love doing it)…when the movie’s playing shut the f' up!!!!!! Eructate in your own space or in the bathroom. Thank you!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 1, 2005 at 8:55 am

“The Great Escape” and “Patton” were each a sight to behold on the big screen at the Loew’s yesterday. One funny thing: at one point the sound on “The Great Escape” dropped out. To get the attention of the projectionist, someone started whistling Elmer Bernstein’s memorable “Great Escape” theme, and many more of us joined in!

Theaterat on April 17, 2005 at 2:06 pm

OK K OK…I am just expressing my opinion on this film. I never said it was demeaning, it is just the way I see it. Maybe it is satire, but good satire does have some basis in fact. I also am NOT against it being shown. If something offends you, do not read it, see it listen to it, or buy it..

mdvoskin on April 17, 2005 at 12:14 pm

Speaking as a Jew, I also have never found this film to be any any way demeaning to Jews. I will be projecting it on Friday, and would not be doing so if it were otherwise. It was/is a satire, and should be viewed in that context.

Loews Jersey Projection Staff

umbaba on April 16, 2005 at 8:51 am

Theaterat….as an Italian, I don’t find the Great Dictator to be demeaning to Italians but a slap in the face of Naziism and Facism (did I spell it right) at the time yes, Italy was teaming with Nazi Germany, so they were enemies. Plus, it’s a comedy movie and it hit at the right time…I also don’t find The Godfather or The Sopranos to be an insult to Italians….I mean, who is the Mafia??….but I do find them to be great entertainment classics….you need to lighten up paisan!!!

Ziggy on April 15, 2005 at 1:15 pm

As a German, I never found this movie demeaning to Germans. It’s naziism that is demeaning. People that make fun of it are to be applauded.

VincentParisi on April 15, 2005 at 12:50 pm

Amazing. As a proud Italian I never found this movie demeaning only very funny. I think it is one of Chaplin’s best.
You could call Chaplin a lot of things egotistical, self righteous, overly sentimental (just like self-important movie stars today) but I don’t think a bigot is one of them.

Theaterat on April 15, 2005 at 11:55 am

1./kind of find The Great Dictator to be demeaning to Italians, Germans and Jews as well, but I guess this was the political climate in 1940. You guys at the Jersey could have done better than this, but I guess Patton and The Great Escape kind of make up for it.

mdvoskin on April 11, 2005 at 9:20 pm

Patton will indeed be a standard Panavision 35mm print. It is my understanding that the print has some issues with scratches and some occasional minor jump splices, but the color is good.

Great Escape in a newly struck restored print.

Loews Jersey Projection Staff