Academy of Music

126 E. 14th Street,
New York, NY 10003

elcomicguy1953
elcomicguy1953 on September 16, 2007 at 4:46 pm

I wonder does anyone remember a live broadcast by WNEW hosted by DJ Allison Steele “The Nightbird”? Featured was British born Germany residing “Nektar”. They were touring a just rleased album titled “Remember The Future”. I set my Sony reel to reel up to record the show, and went to it as well. In the first minutes of the opening number “Remember The Future” the power wnet out, and I have it all on tape. (Love live shows!)Fortunately power was restored quickly and the band was up and running, and gave a memorable show. I wasn’t sure if the show was at the Fillmore or Academy, but I looked at a list of shows at the Fillmore, and it didn’t show Nektar ever played there. Does anyone know of a list of shows at the Academy in the 70’s?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 9, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Looks like that last comment did the trick, Warren. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for Bryan to keep track of all the useful updates buried in the avalanche of comments that hit this site on a daily basis. I’m sure that the best way to ensure information on CT is updated where necessary is to email Bryan directly with the pertinent changes.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 9, 2007 at 10:32 am

Every time that I receive a post about this theatre, I feel like vomiting after reading the opening remarks in the introduction. Isn’t it about time that they were corrected? The Academy of Music was built by none less than William Fox, and first opened in 1926, by which time the twentieth century was already one-fourth over.

Rory
Rory on September 9, 2007 at 9:27 am

I never went to the Academy of Music Theatre, but I’m glad to read the comment left by “RobertR” back in 2005: “Want to hear a strange double bill? In May of 1969 Fox sent out "Planet of the Apes” and “Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines” as a double-bill. The catch phrase was “Perfect Mates Apes and Men”. It played here at the Academy along with the UA Riviera. posted by RobertR on Jun 10, 2005 at 4:35pm" I thought I was the only person in the world that remembered this double feature, which I saw when I was nine years old out on Long Island at the Lynbrook Theatre. It ran for a week starting on May 28, 1969. Since “Planet of the Apes” is my favorite film, I still celebrate the anniversary of this “strange double bill.”

jrobertclark
jrobertclark on August 7, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Lou Reed’s “Rock n Roll Animal”/“Live” recorded at the Academy of Music in 1973 or 1974. One of the great live records.

I saw Divine perform at the Palladium in 1986; I catcalled him/her and she let go with a tongue-lashing the likes I’ve rarely had since! I believe I asked him whether he had a dick, and the reply went something like: “Motherfucka, why don’t you come up here and I’ll show you whether I have a dick!” All in good fun, though!

MikeGTR
MikeGTR on May 24, 2007 at 1:50 am

I attended a show at the NY Academy of Music on 12/31/73 with headliners Blue Oyster Cult and openers Teenage Lust, Iggy & the Stooges (Raw Power-era band) and Kiss. This was Kiss’s first major NYC show and no one knew who they were yet. They were the first band out that night and even at that early hour me & my buddy who I went with were already half out of it (it was New Years Eve, after all…) and we were shocked by their show. No one had seen anything that crazy before. The other band’s added to the nuttiness of the night and Blue Oyster Cult brought the oom-pah band over from Luchow’s next door to play before their set. It is a show that is still in my memory after all these years and is one of those shows that when you tell people about it they go “wow, you were there?”. I saw many other shows at the Academy after this and always had a great time. I miss that theatre being a part of New York and it’s a damn shame that NYU saw fit to tear it down along with Luchow’s only to build more friggin' condos. The academy rocked and will live on in my mind and others who attended shows there.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 29, 2006 at 3:02 am

The opening sentence of the introduction is laughable and needs to be corrected. The Academy of Music was “created” by William Fox, who was in the midst of creating one of the nation’s largest theatre circuits at the time…Here are two views of the auditorium that I copied from the January 1927 issue of Architecture & Building Magazine:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/foxamc01.jpg
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/foxamc02.jpg

danielhalifko
danielhalifko on November 27, 2006 at 11:55 am

For $5.50 a seat, I attended the following 6 concerts between 1972 and 1974. I still maintain the “Ticketron” tickets.
Allman Bros Band, Commander Cody and Hus Lost Planet Airman and
New York Rock Ensemble.
Savoy Brown, Electric Light Orchestra and Manfred Mann.
Traffic and Lindisfarne.
Dave Mason, Livingston Taylor and James Montgomery Band.
Savoy Brown, Fleetwood Mac(before Nicks & Buckingham joined) and Long John Baldry.
Procul Harem.
Way back then you could smoke or “burn one” on the restroom
DUDE, THEM WAS THE DAYS.
-Dan Halifko, Orlando, FL.

SpotOne
SpotOne on October 27, 2006 at 1:06 am

Hi all;
I was a followspot operator for rock concerts at the Academy in the early 70’s. I alternated between there and the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, and as the Capitol booked more and more shows, I spent more time in New Jersey. But I did enough Oldies, Foghat, NRPS, Grateful Dead on and on shows at 14th Street to last a lifetime. I remember when the Climax Blues Band recorded FM live, there was a mic hanging from the ceiling about 8 feet from my Super Trouper. I was afraid to make a lot of noise operating the light, because the sound might get into the recording. I guess the music was loud enough I didn’t have to worry. :–)

MOst nights we only had 2 Carbon Arc spots at the Academy, and I was house left, stage right -perched on a shaky plywood platform hanging over the railing of the second balcony. When the act required more than two spots, we used a third in the projection booth. It was an amazing angle to run a spotlight from, and as the back wall of the booth was the wall of the theatre on 14th street, and the stage itself was near the opposite wall (13th street) you would be lighting up a target one city block away at an angle of something like 60 degrees. Thankfully that was the exception not the rule. Anyway, nice to find folks who also remember places like The Academy, the Capitol and other great old theatres. For my money, I wish I had done more shows at the Beacon. Gorgeous place.

John

GWaterman
GWaterman on August 20, 2006 at 12:04 pm

I only saw one show at the Palladium during the 70’s, but it was a double bill of Parliament Funkadelic with Bootsy Collins opening for them. I had a friend who was a roadie for Bootsy’s Rubber Band.

Man. That was cool

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 17, 2006 at 6:49 am

Julians! Thanks Willis69. You just answered a question I posed way back in October of 2003 at the top of this page and had completely forgotten about. I attended a number of shows here in the early ‘80’s. Seedy the street most certainly was at the time.

Willis69
Willis69 on August 17, 2006 at 6:28 am

The pool hall located above the Palladium was called Julian’s. Great old retro place that held up well despite numerous nouveau pool halls nearby. There’s some great video during the Academy’s Concert days in the dvd “All Dolled Up”, a documentary on the NY Dolls. The band actually shot a promo w/ them beginning in the Meatpacking District(or area fka Mtpkg District), then going down 14th Street and ending at the entrance to the Academy. I saw two concerts at the Palladium. The first, The Outlaws, was the loudest I’ve ever attended. The second show, on a cold wet spring night in 1983, we picked up tickets on what was a very seedy 14th Street and ended up in the 9th row for U2. Finally, long after the celebs abandoned the nightclub, it attracted a rough, mostly black crowd. I believe a bouncer was shot to death in front of the place. Ironically, Japanese guide books still had it listed as a “hot spot” and it was a funny juxtaposition of them lined up outside w/ the locals all waiting to get thru the metal detectors.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 13, 2006 at 10:14 am

Waren the Fillmore was only 2700 seats. I used to work with some of the same people who worked for Bill Graham who left when he closed the place in June of 1971. In Sept of 1971 Howard Stien booked a deal with United Artists for the unlimited use of the Academy and when Howard did not have a live show UA ran movies. One of the things i used to do for a few extra $$$ Was come in and change the marquee. What a pain it was in the winter because the letters were all cast iron and they got cold. And no I did not take all the letters down. I would inventory what was already up there and then pull what I needed from the back room. Saved me a good deal of time and grief.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 13, 2006 at 8:44 am

The Fillmore East was formerly Loew’s Commodore, which has a listing here. As Loew’s Commodore, it had 2,814 seats, according to the 1954 Film Daily Year Book. It’s possible that seats were added for the conversion to concert hall. They may have also included standing room in the body count.

drewcarolan
drewcarolan on February 13, 2006 at 8:05 am

The Fillmore East was a theatre with a seating capacity of 3664 according to records researched.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 13, 2006 at 5:46 am

This was originally the Yiddish Art Theatre. From 1953-83, it was home for the now legendary repertory group known as the Phoenix Theatre. After the Phoenix went bust, it became known as the Phyllis Anderson Theatre. I don’t think that it deserves to be listed as a “cinema trasure.” It was always a playhouse, and never “huge.” I will still stick to my estimate of 1,000 to 1,500 seats.

somoman
somoman on February 13, 2006 at 5:33 am

If my memory serves me well, the Fillmore east sat approximately 3000. Perhaps that puts a perspective on the Anderson Theater. And while we are at it regarding the Anderson, I got hold of a ticket stub from the Anderson dated Feb but there is no year on the stub. The name of the event that appears on the stub is “The Evolution of R……..and the stub is torn right after the letter "R”. Does this mean anything to any of you concert goers?

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 12, 2006 at 1:28 pm

after a little more digging i came upon this about the Anderson
Owner: CORPORATION Non-Profit Flag: N
SCHWARTZ ED PRESIDENT
ANDERSON THEATER REALTY CORP. 152 WEST 57TH STREET, 212 956 – 7070
NEW YORK NY 10019
OCCUPANCY CERTIFICATION: N
OCCUPANCY NOTIFICATION: N
REL TO BLDG OWNER: PRESIDENT
CORPORATION:
SCHWARTZ IRVING SEC'Y
152 WEST 57TH STREET, NEW YORK NY 10019 212 956 – 7070
I may try and call them to see if there is any public info available and add it to the data base

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 12, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Hey Warren it may not have been 5000 seats but it was HUGE. It had to be to be able to compete with the likes of the Fillmore. I saw Slyvester and the DCockettes there in 71 and it had a large orchastra section. I sat in the balcony. I have been searching and searching for any kind of specs on the place but it is hard to come by.

drewcarolan
drewcarolan on February 12, 2006 at 11:05 am

Let’s not forget that Hilly Kristal briefly opened CBGB 2nd Avenue Theater at the old Anderson on E. 4th Street at the end of 1977. Patti Smith, Talking Heads and other bands from the early CB’s days played there.

As you walked in the funky lobby the interior was done up like a subway stop with tiles that said cbgb 2nd Avenue.

The Anderson was a great theater and I’m glad to hear that some remember the Angels sponsored Dead shows as well as Joplin and the Yardbirds shows, for it was folklore legend for kids like me that grew up down there!

NoelGypsy
NoelGypsy on February 12, 2006 at 10:45 am

Hey East Coast Rocker, yes Ron Poole is my dad. Me and my sister used to work backstage with Marsha, and my mom worked the bar downsairs by the ladies room. Do I know you? Or will I remember you?? or do you remember me? If you want to you can Email me privately :0)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 12, 2006 at 5:08 am

I don’t know the seating capacity of the Anderson Theatre, but I would bet that it was nowhere near 5,000. My guess is in the vicinity of 1,000 to 1,500.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 12, 2006 at 4:40 am

Hey Noel if your dad is Ron Poole yes I knew him. He worked for UA as a district manager. So I take it you were not related to Gus Boviani and his family.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 12, 2006 at 4:28 am

I worked there for about a year after Ron D opened it back up. Who is/was your dad? Prior to the change over the manager of the Academy was from the UA chain. His wife and daughter were his assistant managers. Yeah I know all about the archive room. I wish I had the time to snoop around in there but they usually had the consession stand locked. The spiral stair case you talk about was above the dressing rooms. Before you got to it there was a big a$$ blower motor with a 12" wide belt. That was part of the old air conditioning system. I left there shortly before Elton John played there and one of the things he asked for was to have the chandileer working.. They had to lower it with extra lines to make sure that the cable it was held up with did not snap. On a few occasions I had to climb the ladder on the back wall stage right side to get up to the fly level. Man that was a scary feeling knowing therer was nothing between you and the ground.