Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 19, 2005 at 6:38 am

Thank you SO much for those wonderful pictures. They really sent me back.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 18, 2005 at 9:29 am

The Jolson tour has been discussed at the listing for the ex-Loew’s Prospect in Flushing, Queens.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 18, 2005 at 8:58 am

Warren, PA = Prince Albert? Then the tour should include the Cameo, no doubt.

YMike
YMike on August 18, 2005 at 5:29 am

Al Jolson made an appearance at the Oriental to promote his film “Jolson Sings Again”. He also went to other Loews theatres in Brooklyn on the same day.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 18, 2005 at 3:17 am

This was merely a PA tour of the Loew’s circuit for “Rock, Rock, Rock.” Freed made a brief stage appearance and then moved on to other Loew’s theatres.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 18, 2005 at 2:44 am

RobertR – I don’t know for sure, however, I wonder if it was a rock n roll show or was he himself just touring theaters to romote “Rock, Rock, Rock”.

RobertR
RobertR on August 18, 2005 at 2:34 am

I never knew Alan Freed played his shows at the Oriental.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 17, 2005 at 8:34 pm

Essentially the same marquee in 1950’s and 1977, but I wonder if all the neon was still working in the latter days.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 17, 2005 at 5:29 pm

I found this on the web long ago. Not sure where or who to credit.
A great shot of the marquee.

RobertR
RobertR on August 17, 2005 at 2:20 am

The marquee still looked great then.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 16, 2005 at 5:06 pm

Here’s a photo I took back in 1977.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 5, 2005 at 7:21 am

Thanks Lady Rigel. I’ll have to watch the film again and pay close attention to those scenes.

Just as a note Other movies filmed the Bensonhurst area include The French Connection, Dog Daya Afternoon and Sat. Night Fever with it’s classic opening sequence of Travolta walking down 86h St.

Anyone know of any other movies filmed in the area.

PKoch
PKoch on August 5, 2005 at 6:24 am

That was it ! I cracked up, and COULD NOT take the rest of the film seriously.

PKoch
PKoch on August 5, 2005 at 6:20 am

It’s called “Out For Justice”. I saw it in April 1991. I don’t recall if the Oriental was seen in it. I remember the el station was in it, and the following dialogue :

MAN : What chick ? (pointing) Her ?

SEAGAL : No, the other one over there, the one with the nipples you could dial a phone with !

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 5, 2005 at 3:45 am

JohnG409-Angie was film on 81st between 18th and 19th Avenues. I think you may know the block.

Also, I remember a Steven Segal movie being filmed at the intersection of 86th Street and 18th Avenue. Has anyone seen it and if the Oriental can be seen?

ERD
ERD on August 2, 2005 at 8:11 am

The Garden theatre was demolished in the 1950’s. I went there as
a child. It was called the “dump” in its last years. It was built before World War I. Originally, before air conditioning, the roof opened at night. A supermarket and now a lumber store and yard occupy the site where the building once stood. (The theatre is listed
in Cinema Treasures.

ERD
ERD on August 2, 2005 at 8:11 am

The Garden theatre was demolished in the 1950’s. I went there as
in Cinema Treasures.

ERD
ERD on August 2, 2005 at 8:10 am

The Garden theatre was demolished in the 1950’s. I went there as
in Cinema Treasures.

YMike
YMike on July 31, 2005 at 1:11 pm

I saw the Incredable Mr. Limpet at the Tilyou. Was the Garden Theatre demolished. Never remember seing another theatre building across from the 46th street from the subway.

YMike
YMike on July 31, 2005 at 1:10 pm

ERD
ERD on July 30, 2005 at 2:12 pm

The Garden Theatre was left out of the list of theatres along the West End line route. It was across the street from Loew’s 46th Street.It closed in the 1950’s. (See Garden theatre)

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 30, 2005 at 8:05 am

Yankee Mike… Did the Tilyou 2 or 3 times. It was a decent thearer that sort of resembled the RKO Dyker. Remember seeing “The Family Jewels” with Jerry Lewis and a double feature horror show- Cant remember the name.

YMike
YMike on July 29, 2005 at 8:36 am

I was never there either. Did get to the Tilyou once.

Theaterat
Theaterat on July 29, 2005 at 8:28 am

Yankee Mike… Almost forgot. I was never there, but I remember seeing it a few times.

YMike
YMike on July 29, 2005 at 8:13 am

Then we should include the Mermaid also.