Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on May 4, 2006 at 2:42 pm

DOn’t forget about the WALKER and further down 18th Ave.(Near MacDonald Ave. under the L) the CULVER.

YMike
YMike on March 20, 2006 at 1:21 pm

You can add the Marboro to that list.

Theaterat
Theaterat on March 20, 2006 at 1:13 pm

East Cost Rocker… Sorry to hear about your mother`s death. On the way you took to the VZ from Luna Park, there were at one time no less than7 theaters there. They were the SHORE, the TILYOU, the STILLWELL, the BENSON, the ORIENTAL, the HOLLYWOOD and the DYKER. Also, not too far away from these were the MERMAID, the SURF, the TRUMP Cinema, the TUXEDO and the DELUXE. Each and every one is now closed, abandoned, demolished, or used for retail. As long as we remember them, they will be , as Neil Young says in RUST NEVER SLEEPS- “gone, but not forgottren”.

EcRocker
EcRocker on February 16, 2006 at 2:37 am

You know as close as i lived to the Oriental I had never seen a movie there. It was 2 years ago today that my mom died and her funerak was on Feb 18th 2004. She lived her last years in Luna Park. On my way back to Maryland I took my gf through some of the areas i used to hang out in. On the way to the VZ Bridge instead of taking the belt I went straight up 86th st to Ft Hamilton parkway. I wanted to dry when I went by there. I remember all the fights that used to break out on weekends after the last shows let out and people would rush the Vegas Diner. At least the time I passed by the old Lady of 86th street the marquee was not covered over. RIP great Lady.

zomboscloset
zomboscloset on January 15, 2006 at 3:19 am

I saw my first horror film here, The Terror, with Boris Karloff. I forced my parents to take me so I didn’t have to stay with the babysitter. My mom loved horror, but dad hated it. I loved the balcony and dark interior, and it was close enough to walk to on spring and summer nights to catch the latest horror or sci fi flick. I was heartbroken when it closed.

John (http://zomboscloset.blogspot.com)

PKoch
PKoch on November 16, 2005 at 7:54 pm

Thanks, Warren. Perhaps it meant a new Loew’s Twin Theater was about to be opened, or ground broken to start construction of one.

jbels
jbels on November 9, 2005 at 1:55 pm

That photo is great JohnG, I remember seeing The Deep there. We would ride the bus up from Bay Ridge (The B-13 if I remember correctly, or B-39? Can’t remember and don’t live around there anymore). Saw The Big Bus there, saw Airplane, the Psychic Killer, one of the Friday the 13th’s, Ferris Bueller, etc…Last film I saw there was The Brady Bunch Movie and the theatre was in disrepair by that time.

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 19, 2005 at 2:58 pm

From what I remember, the neon signs were working, however, not all of them at the same time. There was always one or two letters out.

PKoch
PKoch on August 19, 2005 at 2:49 pm

My father remembers an appearance by Al Jolson at the RKO Madison Theater in Ridgewood, Queens, almost on the Brooklyn-Queens border, and probably, like the Ridgewood, to this day, listed in newspapers as being in Brooklyn.

My dad remembers that Jolson “brought the house down” with “Mammy” and other big numbers. He also claims to have met Jolson coming out of the subway a block from the Madison Theater at Myrtle, Wyckoff and Palmetto, directing him to the Madison, and getting free passes to the show as a result.

I would have thought a star of Jolson’s stature would have pulled up to the back entrance of the Madison on Madison Street in a limousine and entered the theater that way.

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 19, 2005 at 2:38 pm

Thank you SO much for those wonderful pictures. They really sent me back.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 18, 2005 at 4:58 pm

Warren, PA = Prince Albert? Then the tour should include the Cameo, no doubt.

YMike
YMike on August 18, 2005 at 1:29 pm

Al Jolson made an appearance at the Oriental to promote his film “Jolson Sings Again”. He also went to other Loews theatres in Brooklyn on the same day.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 18, 2005 at 10:44 am

RobertR – I don’t know for sure, however, I wonder if it was a rock n roll show or was he himself just touring theaters to romote “Rock, Rock, Rock”.

RobertR
RobertR on August 18, 2005 at 10:34 am

I never knew Alan Freed played his shows at the Oriental.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 18, 2005 at 4:34 am

Essentially the same marquee in 1950’s and 1977, but I wonder if all the neon was still working in the latter days.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 18, 2005 at 1:29 am

I found this on the web long ago. Not sure where or who to credit.
A great shot of the marquee.

RobertR
RobertR on August 17, 2005 at 10:20 am

The marquee still looked great then.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 17, 2005 at 1:06 am

Here’s a photo I took back in 1977.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on August 5, 2005 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Lady Rigel. I’ll have to watch the film again and pay close attention to those scenes.

Just as a note Other movies filmed the Bensonhurst area include The French Connection, Dog Daya Afternoon and Sat. Night Fever with it’s classic opening sequence of Travolta walking down 86h St.

Anyone know of any other movies filmed in the area.

PKoch
PKoch on August 5, 2005 at 2:24 pm

That was it ! I cracked up, and COULD NOT take the rest of the film seriously.

PKoch
PKoch on August 5, 2005 at 2:20 pm

It’s called “Out For Justice”. I saw it in April 1991. I don’t recall if the Oriental was seen in it. I remember the el station was in it, and the following dialogue :

MAN : What chick ? (pointing) Her ?

SEAGAL : No, the other one over there, the one with the nipples you could dial a phone with !

rigelstar
rigelstar on August 5, 2005 at 11:45 am

JohnG409-Angie was film on 81st between 18th and 19th Avenues. I think you may know the block.

Also, I remember a Steven Segal movie being filmed at the intersection of 86th Street and 18th Avenue. Has anyone seen it and if the Oriental can be seen?

ERD
ERD on August 2, 2005 at 4:11 pm

The Garden theatre was demolished in the 1950’s. I went there as
a child. It was called the “dump” in its last years. It was built before World War I. Originally, before air conditioning, the roof opened at night. A supermarket and now a lumber store and yard occupy the site where the building once stood. (The theatre is listed
in Cinema Treasures.