Coronet Theatre

3575 Geary Boulevard,
San Francisco, CA 94118

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on March 10, 2005 at 4:43 pm

And why didn’t you post that in the first place? To answer your question: No I’m not always that rude, are you always this stupid? If you really did any reserach you’d see that I am NOT new here nor am I “always that rude” Am sorry to all the others here for publicly posting this

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on March 10, 2005 at 4:39 pm

READ THE NEWS PAGE…..MARCH 17 =THE LAST DAY

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on March 10, 2005 at 4:37 pm

ARE YOU ALWAYS THIS RUDE ANTKNEE/I SEE YOU ARE NEW/

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on March 10, 2005 at 4:17 pm

Pardon you, but what exactly does that mean? Date for WHAT? The last show? Thanks for that useless bit of info.

aboriginal
aboriginal on February 28, 2005 at 9:27 pm

I have been going to the Coronet theater since I was a kid and seeing Star Wars for the first time in 1977. It is a shame that it will not be allowed to stay open for the whole series. Iâ€\ve grown up in the Richmond District and have seen countless movies there since that 1977 date. Is there anything youâ€\re aware of to keep the theater open long enough to allow everyone who wants to see all the six films in the place where it all originated? Is there a community group that can be contacted or a preservation society or Star Wars club site to get a plan in action to keep the Coronet theater open at least through July or August?

reply to

Steve2
Steve2 on February 22, 2005 at 11:22 pm

STAR WARS III opens in 3 months, May 19.

Demolition is scheduled Decmeber.

Would a 3+ month lease extension be a guaranteed FINANCIAL JACKPOT for Regal Entertainment Co. and the new building owners?

Heck, the net profits will pay for the wrecking ball crew.

Local Presidio mogul George Lucas has yet to pick a theater for the benefit showings. ???…..

Eric
Eric on February 22, 2005 at 6:36 pm

Fandango has showtimes scheduled all the way through March 3rd listed….

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on February 17, 2005 at 9:02 pm

That’s a bogus “reason”. The closing is/was never due to dimished attendence but that the owner’s want to develop the property for thier use.

scottfavareille
scottfavareille on February 14, 2005 at 11:08 pm

According to KCBS newsradio today, the Coronet will be staying open another week due to “increased crowds”.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on February 14, 2005 at 3:34 am

Unfortunately, the photo shown here doesn’t make it look like much of an architectural landmark.

stevenj
stevenj on February 14, 2005 at 3:27 am

Went to the 3:45 matinee this afternoon. The projectionist Mr Garcia mentioned gave a short history of the theatre before the show started. He said the theatre would be open for a few weeks more but that Million Dollar Baby would be the theatre’s last film. In the 50’s Mike Todd supervised the installation of the current screen (for Todd AO presentation), the orginal “surround” speakers were in the ceiling and the 2 sound systems installed now are Dolby Digital and Sony’s SDDS. The projectionist said they use the Dolby Digital system because it “sounds better”. The projectors also were modified in the 50’s for 70mm showings so that the correct aspect ratios could be achieved. Unless somehow this theatre can be saved from the wrecking ball, in a few weeks we will just have our memories of the Coronet.

ANTKNEE
ANTKNEE on February 13, 2005 at 2:59 pm

Just heard on the news this very moment that tonight’s 10pm showing of Million Dollar Baby will be the last show. 6:58 am 2/13/05

AlGarcia
AlGarcia on February 8, 2005 at 7:21 am

I got to visit the Coronet this past Saturday and I must say that although that was my first time there, it won’t be my last! I do plan on being there for the final showing of “Million Dollar Baby.” After all, the movie is that good I don’t mind seeing it twice.

While there on Saturday night, the head projectionist (who also works at the nearby Metro Theatre) closed the house curtain prior to the show and gave a small speech about the theatres history while mentioning to the audience about the Coronet’s upcoming closure. It was eerie how silent it got in that auditorium. He talked about the theatre having two different sound systems and how the they were capable of screening 70mm films. He also urged patrons to support the Metro, as it is in need of more moviegoers. After his short, but very appreciated speech he mentioned that after the previews the curtain would close and reopen at the start of the movie, just as if we were attending a movie back in the 50s. I’m sorry I didn’t catch the projectionists name.

Either way, I plan on being there this Thursday and enjoying the Coronet one last time!

stevenj
stevenj on February 8, 2005 at 3:28 am

The first time I went into the Coronet was during the long run reserved seat engagement of My Fair Lady. The top of the marquee was festooned with plastic flowers and I believe flags of many countries sprouted from the flower baskets. All the seats had clean white covers over the tops of the seatbacks. The house curtain was a deep yellow and besides the huge screen the Coronet had about the best sound system in the City. Going to the Coronet was an event. Over the years I’ve seen many films there. The last time I went in some jerk sitting behind me yacked on his cell phone until 3 of us asked him to shut up. They didn’t even use the deep yellow curtain anymore – it was permanantly open. The show started with a bunch of commercials. It was sad to see the theatre go down the tubes. It’s corporate (don’t care) ownership was showing very badly.

kevinsilva
kevinsilva on February 4, 2005 at 8:58 pm

What a drag this is! This was the place to see the bigscreen movies in San Francisco. I’m defintely going on Feb. 10 to get some last shots.

Steve2
Steve2 on December 20, 2004 at 7:49 pm

To be followed in May by the finale of the phenomenal Star Wars saga…….ironically could be the final curtain for our last grand single screen megastructure.

People, I do not see the passionate public outcry of protesting which San Francisco is famous for to save this theater.

Remember the FOX.

budyboy
budyboy on December 19, 2004 at 10:06 pm

Phantom at the Coronet!! I’m driving 40 miles to see it as it should be seen. Can’t wait!!

veyoung52
veyoung52 on November 29, 2004 at 3:53 am

Let’s not forget that the Coronet was the San Francisco premiere house for Todd-AO, “Oklahoma” opening around 2/16/56, followed by Todd’s “Around the World in 80 Days” Christmas week, same year.

LadyBee
LadyBee on August 31, 2004 at 5:41 am

ANYONE INTERESTED IN HELPING SAVE THE CORONET PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP.
I HAVE OPEN THIS PROJECT UP AND I AM READY TO TAKE CHARGE ON SAVING THE BUILDING FROM GETTING DESTORYED. SAVE THE CORONET!!
EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING INVOLVED!!

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 22, 2004 at 5:05 am

San Francisco had great viable single screen theatres longer than most other cities. It was the arrival of the AMC megaplex that one by one all the great single screen movie theatres started to bite the dust. After the decline of downtown in the 1960’s the Coronet was the undisputed king of the box office in San Francisco. The Coronet continued to be a big excusive run house long after the reserved seat roadshow fims of the 1960’s. I would venture to say the Coronet was one of the most successful single screen theatres in the nation for decades. All the studios and producers wanted there movies booked into the Coronet.Its to bad Regal got there hands on this property.Regal doesn’t even attempt to showcase this theatre in any way knowing they were going to dispose of it when they took over United Artists. The Coronet continued to be the flagship of UA long after the decline of the Egyptian in Hollywood and the Rivoli in NYC.The Coronet was always kept in top shape by United Artists who was notorious for letting there theatres fall apart.The Coronet was built in 1949 when not many theatres were being built. The first movie I saw at the Coronet was the reseved seat roadshow attraction “Funny Girl” in 1968. I saw Star Wars on its first day of release at the Coronet and the lines went on forever. 20th Century Fox had figured the number of people who had seen “Star Wars” at the Coronet matched the entire population of San Francisco, 6 months into its run it was still gossing $80,000 a week.Remember this is the same City which was offered the Fox for $1Million in 1963 and turned it down and then spent over $70 Million years later constructing Davies Symphony Hall. I guess when its all said and done the Castro maybe the last single screen still showing movies in the city.brucec

mcmikecroaro
mcmikecroaro on July 9, 2004 at 10:57 pm

I too was suprised that the Coronet passed on Spiderman 2. I assume it’s because they are playing “I Robot” instead. Likweise I think they should have moved “The Terminal” from the Metro to the Vogue so they could play Spiderman 2 there (instead of vise versa).

Eric
Eric on July 4, 2004 at 7:54 pm

Pictures of The Coronet can be seen at http://photos.yahoo.com/coronet_theatre1

Eric
Eric on June 22, 2004 at 8:10 pm

Regal just continues to baffle me. Instead of booking Harry Potter and Spiderman 2, the big summer movies that SHOULD be playing The Coronet, they’re showing Dodgeball to an empty house. I fear the end is very near…