St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

Vito
Vito on March 31, 2006 at 10:12 am

That’s not film, they should call it what it is, a DVD/Video festival

RobertR
RobertR on March 31, 2006 at 5:29 am

According to the web site the Staten Island Film Festival starts on
Thursday, June 01

Vito
Vito on March 23, 2006 at 4:30 am

garth,I wondered the same thing, there has not been any more talk about movies, Mrs Rosemary and her daughter have my info and knows I am available to help with such a project. I would only be interested in doing film. I just hope they were not discouraged by the dvd disaster held there recently.

Garth
Garth on March 22, 2006 at 3:40 pm

will they ever have a classic movie night? (no dvd projections please)….

Vito
Vito on January 20, 2006 at 7:30 am

What a marvelous idea, and so in keeping with the spirt of the good ole days. I am so proud of Mrs Rosemary and family for their outstanding efforts. When ever I drive by the theatre I always have a big smile on my face because it is so alive and well.

moonchild981
moonchild981 on January 17, 2006 at 8:41 pm

Theater fund-raiser lets you name your seat
To raise $$ for ongoing restoration, St. George Theatre patrons can have their names affixed to seats
Sunday, January 15, 2006
By TEVAH PLATT
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

The owners of the St. George Theatre are counting on community spirit to bolster the once and future majesty of the historic performance center.

To raise funds for the ongoing restoration of the theater, contributors who have been enchanted by the ornate theater, its productions, or its ambitious owners will have their names inscribed on the theater’s mahogany and red velvet orchestra and mezzanine seats in months to come.

The revitalization of the baroque-style theater has been driven by the labor and life savings of dance teacher Rosemary Cappozalo (known to Islanders as Mrs. Rosemary) and her daughters, Doreen Cugno, Luanne Sorrentino and Rosemary Hillers.

The family hopes the “Jump into the Hot Seat” campaign will raise $150,000 to pay for air conditioning, an advanced rigging system, its newly refurbished seats, and the continued restoration of the theater that first opened its doors to Hyatt Street in 1929.

On Feb. 12 at 2 p.m., the theater will host an event and tribute to Big Bands to honor “chairholders” who will see their names (or those of their companies or loved ones) on the seat-mounted plaques for the first time.

Already five months into the six-month campaign, the theater hopes to more than double the $68,000 it has raised to date. “We need a big push,” Mrs. Cugno said.

Such a push may come from the campaign’s committee members, Charles LaGanga of Dongan Hills, Bob Cutrona of Emerson Hill, and Jay Anderson of Eltingville, who will be ardently soliciting $200 and $400 donations — for mezzanine and orchestra seats, respectively — on the theater’s behalf.

FOR ‘ALL OF ISLAND’

“This theater is a jewel that should shine as a beacon of light from the North Shore to the South,” said LaGanga, the avuncular community leader, waving his arms with enthusiasm. “It’s for all of Staten Island. So I’m gonna go to the grassroots — I’m going to the banks, to the foundations, and to everyone I know. And I’ll be on the ferry passing out brochures.”

“When you see the energy of Mrs. Rosemary and her daughters, and the blood and sweat they put into the theater, you’ve got to help,” said Cutrona, who is naming a seat in honor of his daughters, Marley, 6, and Mia, 4, students at Mrs. Rosemary’s Dance Studio.

Anderson was instrumental in arranging contributors' eligibility to receive a 25 percent tax credit for their donations.

Lisa Mazzarisi Schroder and Kurt Schroder of Richmond purchased orchestra seats in honor of their daughters, Juliet, 11, and Jozie, 8, both Ms. Cappozalo’s students who performed in the recent Spectacular Christmas Show at the St. George Theatre.

“My husband Kurt and I are truly grateful to Mrs. Rosemary and her daughters for sharing their artistic passions with our family,” said Mrs. Schroder, adding that she cried through most of the Christmas show “because it was so beautiful.”

Chairholder Christine Asperti of Sunnyside, also naming a chair for her children, put her enthusiasm simply: “Going to the St. George Theatre is probably the single best thing a Staten Islander can do. When people walk out of the shows there, they’re just gleaming.”

AnneMarie and Vincent Colandrea of Dongan Hills will put the name of their family-owned business, Colandrea New Corner Restaurant, Brooklyn, onto a St. George chair.

SPECIAL AFFINITY

Because the restaurant is almost as old as the theater, and because its success has depended on “the family’s sacrifices,” Mrs. Colandrea said she felt an affinity between the restaurant and the theater she enjoys attending with her whole family.

“This dream is on its way to becoming a reality,” she said of the St. George Theatre. “It will definitely happen with everyone’s support.”

Last year, the St. George Theatre brought singers Don McLean and Gloria Gaynor and the Alvin Ailey dance company to the Staten Island stage. Upcoming performances include “Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka” in February, “Clifford’s Coming to Town” in March, and comedian Jackie Mason, live on the stage this April Fool’s Day — really.

The advanced rigging system that donor dollars will fund would bring more elaborate productions — the St. George could host a show similar to that of Cirque du Soleil, Mrs. Cugno said.

In other words, says Mrs. Sorrentino, “We would have no limits.”

For information on how to become a chairholder, contact the St. George Theatre at (718) 442-2900.

Tevah Platt is a news reporter for the Advance. She may be reached at

GregK
GregK on December 27, 2005 at 6:38 pm

The St George Theater just completed its 2nd annual “Christmas Spectacular” last week on Wednesday, December 21, 2005…A total of 8 shows. Most of the shows were either sold-out (or close to sold-out) and, based on the audience reaction, they were very pleased with the performance…Smiles all around. I had the privilege of again playing their fine Allen Theatre Organ at the start of each show, a'la Radio City Music Hall. In all, it’s estimated that about 12,000 or so people got to see the show and hear a theatre organ once again at the St. George!…It was a very rewarding experience to say the least. Our best to Mrs. Rosemary, her daughters, the staff and all the wonderful volunteers at the St. George Theatre for another successful community event! May God bless them all in the years ahead and may they continue in this fine and glorious tradition!!

Vito
Vito on October 16, 2005 at 4:09 am

It is great to see that marquee again, it was taken apart and replaced with a plan overhang sign. Any idea what year that photo was taken?. Would you have any of the Paramount marquee before 1970?

Vito
Vito on October 12, 2005 at 4:55 am

Thanks for the post edroogie, it is a shame the film festival folks are so ignorant to what it means to show classic films. I don’t blame Mrs Rosemary since I don’t belive it was the St George theatre people who set up this program, my understanding is that it was an outside agency. Unfortunatly these showings will, through word of mouth, send a very negitive message regarding the theatres film presentations, and could hurt future 35mm film presentations.
The sad truth is it was totally unecessary, all of the films shown are available in crisp, and many times pristine, 35mm prints which could have been shown on a larger screen in the proper aspect ratio.
Sounds like it was a disaster, we can only hope any future film showings will be handled by people who know how classic movies should be shown.

edroogie
edroogie on October 11, 2005 at 10:42 pm

very disappointing. went to see the “abbott & costello” flick, and not only was it a dvd video projection, the portable screen (set up in front of the closed theater screen) was about 15' wide. Audio was unintelligable at times. looks like slightly over 100 people paid $8.50 each to see this. I can only hope things will change in the future. Perhaps she’s doing well with Jackie Mason shows for $72.50 a pop, but as a movie venue, this was embarassing. Looks like I’m off to Loew’s jersey city to see REAL classic film projected on a REAL screen…done by REAL movie buffs whom CARE about presentation.

RobertR
RobertR on October 11, 2005 at 11:18 am

Heres a great Academy Award double bill

RobertR
RobertR on October 7, 2005 at 5:36 pm

I did not mean anything disprespectful about calling her that it just seemed odd. Now that I understand it started from her students calling her by Mrs Rosemary it makes more sense.

Garth
Garth on October 7, 2005 at 1:55 pm

vito , i agree with your decision not to see any movie not presented in a film format. i want to support the st. george but i don’t care to see dvd projections of films , at least not until the reviews come in of how good the presentation was.

Jean
Jean on October 7, 2005 at 1:47 pm

She is known on Staten Island to her pupils as Mrs. Rosemary. If you knew her she would be called Mrs. Rosemary. Besides,It’s easier to remember, and I know she doesn’t mind, as I have met her many, many times.

If one is more formal, one can call her Mrs. Rosemary Cappozalo.

Bottom line is she saved the day, no matter WHAT she is called. :)

Vito
Vito on October 7, 2005 at 11:43 am

STOP THAT! The people who love and respect Rosemary have choosen to call her Mrs Rosemary.

GregK
GregK on October 7, 2005 at 11:22 am

Errr Robert, what would YOU LIKE to call her?

RobertR
RobertR on October 7, 2005 at 10:50 am

Why is a grown woman called Mrs Rosemary by grown people?

Vito
Vito on October 7, 2005 at 10:19 am

I will pass on seeing on Casablanca or any other movie not shown in a film format. It’s nice to see classic movies returning to the theatre but if it’s not film I am just not interested. Before Mrs Rosemary and her family took over, there was a horrible women running things, at the time I did not realise she was not be be trusted and believed her story of doing a restoration, so I refurbished the 35mm projectors and sound equipment, some at my own cost. I don’t know what has happened there since or if it’s just the festival folks who have decided to present the movies in a non-film format. I hope the movies are a huge success and perhaps some day we can see them in 35mm as they were intended. We owe Mrs Rosemary a great deal of gratitude for what she has accomplished, it was not easy but she fought the good fight.

silvrladie
silvrladie on October 7, 2005 at 9:58 am

Sorry, I was never actually in the Theatre. You might want to try and contact the Trachtenberg family or possibly the Edelson family although he was reassigned to cover the theatres in and around Albany. Bill

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on October 7, 2005 at 8:45 am

Jean-

Thanks for the reply, I saw it in 35mm last year at the Lafayette in Suffern, so I don’t think I’ll make the journey to S.I. for the DVD showing.

Please keep us informed when the 35mm projectors will be up and running as I look forward to seeing a film there.

Jean
Jean on October 7, 2005 at 8:40 am

For now, at least, Casablanca won’t be shown in 35mm, however it IS being shown on a brand new large screen. All this until the projectors are in full working order.

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on October 7, 2005 at 8:38 am

Does anybody know if they are showing all of these films in 35mm prints? The website for the festival doesn’t say that formats being used at any of the venues and I dread the thought of trekking to SI to see a DVD.

GregK
GregK on October 7, 2005 at 8:30 am

Vito, you’re in luck!…“Casablanca” is being shown tonight, Friday, October 7th @ 8:00 pm so you didn’t miss it.

GregK
GregK on October 7, 2005 at 8:20 am

Bill, Do you have any recollections or info regarding the original WutliTzer pipe organ at the St George? Was it working when you were employed there? I play the Allen digital theatre organ they now have and am very interested in anything regarding the original WutliTzer Theater pipe organ. Thanks

Vito
Vito on October 7, 2005 at 8:06 am

Jean, if you attended the movie last night, give us your review.