UA Lynbrook 6

321 Merrick Road,
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

It’s been so long since I’ve been regularly posting, I’ve forgotten how to add links or pictures here! However, I read two articles today that discuss future plans for this site – one an interview from December 20th with outgoing Lynbrook Mayor Brian Curran, the other an article in the current Lynbrook/East Rockaway Herald that quotes the new Mayor, William Hendrick. Mayor Hendrick noted the theater as one of three areas of revitalization for the village that loom large on his agenda. No further details were provided, but the interview with Mayor Curran (now State Assemblyman Curran) notes that there is a commitment on Regal’s behalf to essentially knock down the old theater and build a new one with parking facilities. He compared the scenario to that of the Fantasy Theatre in Rockville Centre. With no other details offered, I’m not sure if that means the old Lynbrook Theatre will definitely be knocked down and replaced or it it will be gutted to its outer walls and remodeled, like the Fantasy was. I’d really hate to see the handsome facade go… Even with a gutted theater, at least the preserved exterior would serve as a deserving nod to the history of this old gal.

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on December 7, 2010 at 5:45 am

From the early 1920s a postcard view of the Lynbrook Theater in Lynbrook NY.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on October 3, 2010 at 12:33 am

I can’t beleive all six screens has Sony Digital Projection and Dolby Digital. Screens 3 and 4 has been MONO for years. Regal wanted to rebuild the location. Is it true the upstairs screens are now better auditoriums

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 15, 2010 at 1:57 am

Some pretty good stories on what sounds to be a dying theatre.

CConnolly1
CConnolly1 on June 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

What’s happening with this theater? I grew up on LI and now live in NJ and I thought I read that this theater was going to be redone. Is that still planned? This theater is in a good location.

Xmaspresnt
Xmaspresnt on June 4, 2009 at 3:31 pm

As one of your staff members for about six months in 1986, I will happily accept your kind compliments! The staff WAS awesome, and even at $3.35/hr, I still fondly think of it as my favorite job ever — lovely brown polyester uniforms notwithstanding. :o) And you’re right — Midnight Madness was just the best!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 18, 2009 at 3:51 am

Thanks RobertR… those 1986 shots – though maybe 2 or 3 years after I was a regular here – depict the marquee and storefronts as I remember them.

rsadetsky
rsadetsky on January 12, 2009 at 1:35 am

I managed the Lynbrook when it was a quartet in the mid-80’s. It was one of the very few UA theatres that had matinees during the week. There was talk of adding screens in 1986 and I remember Salah coming down one day with the mayor to look around. I faced Salah’s wrath afterwards due to a popcorn kernel still in the bin from the night before. One of my best memories was having Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight on the weekends upstairs next to the office. What a blast. This was a fun theatre to work and the staff was great.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 19, 2008 at 4:11 am

Behind those two shiny windows on the left is screen no. 6.
(The other screens are two on the orchestra level, two in the balcony and one on the former stage.)

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on February 22, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Well i went and saw Jumper on 2/20 heating and A.C. both worked.
The fantasy playhouse is part of the theater right?

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on January 21, 2008 at 3:54 am

Also, REGAL spent money on refurbishing E-Walk which is only 8 years old but don’t spend a cent on Lynbrook

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on January 21, 2008 at 3:53 am

Heat is working except for Theatre 5 and the Men’s Bathroom.
The bathroom is a icebox.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on January 6, 2008 at 5:25 am

STILL AS OF TODAY, STILL NO HEAT!!!

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on January 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Mike,
Thanks for all the answers to the questions I had. Very sorry to hear about your last shift…
It will be ashame to see lynbrook 6 go…

thanks

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on January 3, 2008 at 8:56 am

well the heat is broken again, it was working for a few days…..anyway tonight was my last shift at this theatre. very sad

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on December 31, 2007 at 5:36 am

If you want heat, go to Grand Avenue, they usually play date except the seats are tight

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 27, 2007 at 7:11 am

No heat in the winter… and on several occasions this summer, there was no A/C. Yup. Definitely not a top priority for Regal. All maintenance deferred until absolutely needed, it seems! What a shame. I guess I still have some emotional attachment to this old dump and still hope that if Regal ever does pay attention to this old work-horse, that it will honor its long history by preserving the facade.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on December 24, 2007 at 11:53 am

I feel like I’m working overtime on this site….anyway…
-If you ask a manager that is there more often than I am…they might help you out with a tour
-Regal can afford to rebuild…this is not a top priority anymore in their minds
-I guess preserving some of the building is possible. Would it be done? I doubt it.
-Lynbrook does get first run films…for some reason not the big ones as of late.
-No heat is a big deal…it has been fixed since. No excuses from me…

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 24, 2007 at 3:20 am

Lynbrook only shows first run movies; new releases are split between the Fantasy in RVC and the Lynbrook. Art releases go to the Malverne.

I was here the other day to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. Full matinée prices ($8. adults, $7. kids) and there was NO HEAT in five of the six screens. “We’re waiting for the parts” said the young manager (not Mike) and yet they have the nerve to charge full price.

I love and want to preserve old theaters, but this is a shit-heap in need of some serious attention.

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on December 24, 2007 at 1:06 am

Mike here’s a tip. If Lynbrook got movies that come out more recently more Peole would go to lynbrook. What me and my friends do is we check were the movies playing. IF it isn’t in LYnbrook than we go to Rockville Center. I prefer to go to Lynbrook personally because it is right in town.

guitarteen226
guitarteen226 on December 24, 2007 at 1:04 am

Mike, if I would have to do a video project could i possibly do it on the thearter, get a tour, etc..
is the closed down “Fantasy Play House” part of the theater?

Ed is also right if the building is structurally sound than some renavations could be done. also if they were to tear down the thearter and rebuild what would it do to traffic on Merrick Road?

If students can’t do the actual work than could they at least raise money for renevations? that is an equal opportunity for service hours.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 13, 2007 at 3:29 pm

At the very least, I would hope that some effort would be made to preserve and restore the handsome Merrick Rd facade. While original interior elements may have long ago vanished and would be unfeasible to restore for a gut and multiplex job, there is no reason why the original character of the Lynbrook’s exterior (which appears to be in very good shape) shouldn’t remain intact. Unless the structure itself is physically unstable, I don’t see why the entire building has to come down, Mike. As long as the foundation and outer walls are stout, the mission could be accomplished with a complete interior gutting down to the bare brick walls. This is how the Fantasy Theatre in Rockville Center was renovated – even though they needlessly mutilated the main exterior facade with the modernization. Better still is the example of the Midway Theatre in Forest Hills, Queens, where they pretty much preserved the integrity of the original facade, entrance foyer and lobby while gutting the auditorium space behind to carve out 9 modern and comfortable stadium style rooms – all within the original footprint of the old theatre.