Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on June 13, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Really appreciate your filling me in on the missing years via your collective musings. My fiancee then, from Forest Ave., and I attended the Oasis or the Ridgewood when we didn’t want to stray too far. We were part of the audience that watched Sly Stallone’s “Rocky” in ‘76 and cheered like crazy. I had no idea that this movie would represent the final bill there. Didn’t know about the subsequent roller rink or fire. I shopped at CVS (near Kark Ehmer’s) recently, wondering what exactly was missing. Thanks to you, now I know!!!

Bway
Bway on June 5, 2006 at 1:04 am

Robert, do you have a stack of old newspapers you find these in, or where do you find all these great old ads?

PKoch on May 16, 2006 at 1:50 pm

Thanks, Lost Memory. I think the details of the story line that you commented on resulted from the film being a re-telling of Joseph Conrad’s classic novel, “Heart Of Darkness” set in Vietnam, the whole point of which is that, the deeper the white man goes into the jungle, away from his civilization, the more his moral fiber deteriorates. You see the same idea in William Golding’s novel, “Lord Of The Flies”, and its two film versions.

The Martin Sheen character himself was skeptical of his assignment, when he said that tracking down one man in the jungles of Vietnam for murder was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

Even so, I enjoyed hearing The Doors classic “The End” on the soundtrack.

Maybe it’s time for a new re-telling of “Heart Of Darkness”, about how man loses his moral fiber the deeper he goes into cyber-space.

stevenl
stevenl on May 16, 2006 at 5:27 am

where do you guys find these old newspaper adds with the movie times.there cool to see

RobertR
RobertR on May 15, 2006 at 7:28 pm

I linked it the old way so the large image above can be removed

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Lost Memory, thanks for the description of “Platoon”. What about “Apocalypse Now” ?

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 1:57 pm

Now, boys and girls, don’t try this war at home yourselves, you could get hurt very badly …

Adrian Cronauer, where are you now ??? We need you to report on Iraq !

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 1:55 pm

Lost Memory, I agree. The network complaints about excessive violence on “Three Stooges Funhouse” were ridiculous, in light of Vietnam, and its daily TV coverage, and seem like a Lenny Bruce routine.

Four dead in Ohio …

This napalmed village is brought to you by Dow Chemical Company. Nyuk nyuk nyuk ….

Good morning Vietnam !

Bway
Bway on May 15, 2006 at 1:16 pm

Yes, that’s another reason I don’t think it’s a good idea to post the photos directly into the message page, as opposed to linking. If you have people posting very large photos directly into the message page, not only will you cause a hardship for dial up users, it will make you have to scroll back and forth just to read the messages if the photo pixels are too large to fit on people’s computer’s screen.
Again, this is why although I discovered you could post photos directly into message sections about two or three years ago (by testing it in preview), I never made it public that it’s possible, as unless the photos are less than 700X or 800X, it will cause problems on the pages, especially if people aren’t familiar with what they are doing.
I still think it’s better to link to photos as we have been doing.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 15, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Posting at the site seems to throw the whole page out of proportion. It’s like a masked standard-sized movie screen suddenly opening up to CinemaScope size.

Bway
Bway on May 15, 2006 at 1:04 pm

Warren, yes, you can post images directly into your posts, however, it may not be a good idea, as the pages will take longer and longer to load if too many photos are added to the message section, so I never did it. I discovered that the USB codes for images worked on Cinematreasures in the preview, but never did it for the above reason. That’s why it’s perhaps better to just link as most have been doing, but I don’t know other people’s opinion on this.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 15, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Can we now post illustrations directly at the listing, as RobertR did on May 14th? I thought that images had to be linked to a blog or whatever…And could someone please correct the introduction to this listing, which has both Skouras and Randforce spelled wrong.

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 12:44 pm

I was there at the instigation and invitation of a friend from the Ridgewood YMCA, a few years older than me, who was a bit immature for his age, although he DID have the climactic few minutes of the 1935 James Whale film “The Bride Of Frankenstein” on an 8 mm home movie reel.

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 12:40 pm

I think I may have seen Officer Joe in January 1969 at Our Lady Of Hope auditorium in Middle Village, Eliot Avenue and about 74th Street, just west of the Connecting Line RR tracks. I think he was trying to lead us kids in some inane Three Stooges nonsense song, which went something like, “Bee Ay Boo, Bee Ay Bippie Eye Boo Eye Yay”, like pig Latin on LSD on Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In. I was thirteen then and it was much too babyish for me.

PKoch on May 15, 2006 at 12:35 pm

Lost Memory, I remember “Officer” Joe Bolton very well, and his cautions to us kids not to attemot Three Stooges type stunts in real life, lest we severely injure ourselves.

I’ve always thought it ironic that we boomers went from that as kids to that teenage boy who tragically hanged himself and died in emulation of ‘70’s rock star Alice Cooper.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 15, 2006 at 12:51 am

Not that any theatre conversion of this type is ever flattering, but it sure makes for an ugly CVS building.

PKoch on May 2, 2006 at 2:34 pm

stevel, I didn’t forget anything. I only meant to represent the first two bars of the opening four notes of the theme.

I would write it in musical notation if I could.

stevenl
stevenl on May 2, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Maspeth, near Fresh Pond RD ..you forget the end of the song, it goess like this…….DA NA NAAAAAAAA NAAA DA
NA
NA
NAH

PKoch on May 1, 2006 at 1:31 pm

Good for you, stevel ! Exactly where will you be moving back to ?

Bway, I usually write the Twilight Zone theme like this :

ning NING ning ning, ning NING ning ning ….

stevenl
stevenl on April 29, 2006 at 7:39 am

actually i will be moving back into the area this summer.

PKoch on April 20, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Thanks, Bway. I LOVE the Twilight Zone ! LOL indeed !

Bway
Bway on April 20, 2006 at 5:52 pm

In Joisey or the the Twilight Zone….dudu dudu dudu dudu.

PKoch on April 20, 2006 at 5:02 pm

Thanks, Bway.

No, LostMemory, the Oasis was no mirage, unless all of us here (and perhaps many more that are not)on Cinema Treasures are having the same delusion ! What could explain such a mass hallucination ?

Bway
Bway on April 20, 2006 at 1:43 pm

That was probably at the beginning of the crack epidemic. That has subsided since the 70s and 80s.

PKoch on April 20, 2006 at 1:07 pm

I think that Karl Ehmer ad, the standing pig in the butcher hat and apron, is still painted on the building near where the Oasis Theater used to be, on the east side of Fresh Pond Road, facing north.

One could see it as one walked south on the east side of Fresh Pond Road, from Metropolitan Avenue.

It was once defaced with graffiti, reading :

EAT MY MEAT ! I’LL PORK YA !

which I think is gone now.

stevel, thanks for the mention of Richard Hell and the Voidoids. I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembers them. I was twenty-two when I saw the ad for their August 12 1978 concert at the Forest Park music grove and bandshell.

I have no idea what the drug scene is Maspeth is like now.