Beverly Center 13 Cinemas

8522 Beverly Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

richjr37
richjr37 on August 9, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Boy is my face red. I really need to check my facts before i post.

I apologize for my previous posts.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 9, 2009 at 12:58 am

I read it on Cinematour in the thread about the closing of the Bruin and Vlllage theatres after Mann cancels thier leases next year. I think Chris Utley posted it.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 9, 2009 at 12:42 am

For those who want to independently verify, the listing is here: View link

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 9, 2009 at 12:39 am

Rich37, where did you get that information?

Not to doubt you, but I see a Theater GM posting at the Beverly Center address online, posted today by Rave Motion Pictures. (Unless they have some connection to Regency I’m totally unaware of, then I think they most be the ones taking this theater over.)

Interestingly, Rave is a 100% digital chain. It would be wild if they outfitted the entire BevCenter complex with new projectors.

But I guess I’m speculating. Still, the job posting seems irrefutable.

richjr37
richjr37 on August 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Regency Theatres has picked up this theatre. Supposedly,they do a pretty good job on keeping up theatres abandoned by thier former owners.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I’m fascinated to learn who picked it up. It’s almost certain that it will remain second-run, but then again, I thought it was almost certain that it was doomed to never operate again, too.

Regency would be the easy guess, but there’s no mention of it on the website (or any other chain’s, for that matter). Could it be possible that a second-run chain will be entering the LA market for the first time?

Wonder if they’ll clean the place up at all… doubt it.

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 8, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Wonder who the new operator will be. It should go truly discount. Last time I was there Mann had the price mid-range (for Los Angeles) at $9.75.

I felt that a major operator (say Pacific) should have taken over the theatre, gutted it, and rebuilt. Pacific could have played the same films there as the Grove, offering people an option.

Personally I wish Mann would sell its remaining operations and leases to Pacific. Mann does seem to be slowly shutting down.

movie15
movie15 on August 8, 2009 at 4:31 am

The Beverly Center will be re-opening under new management on Friday, August 28, 2009. Got the info from the theaters phone line 310-652-7760.

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on August 6, 2009 at 7:51 pm

The once mighty Mann chain just keeps getting smaller and smaller. They haven’t built a theatre in years although some have been upgraded. I would imagine it is a sign of the times but it is sad to watch it gradually die off!

movie15
movie15 on August 6, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Going to see the final showing of Blood: The Last Vampire tonight at the Beverly Center. Let’s see if anybody shows up.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 6, 2009 at 9:06 am

Isn’t Regency losing Fairfax anyway? I thought the property was going to be re-developed.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on August 6, 2009 at 8:15 am

Simple answer: Regency should give Fairfax back to Laemmle (which still won’t solve the nightmare of trying to park there – which I would guess is 75% of that theatre’s struggles) and take Beverly Center 13 as a discount house. 13 screens of flicks at $3.00 a pop in the middle of a recession would surely make the cash strapped movie fanatics of LA truly glad.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on August 6, 2009 at 1:39 am

It’s always fun to see the speculation before the truth comes out.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm

If it’s going to remain second run (which it pretty much has to given The Grove and Century City so close), then it will be really hard to lure anybody in with the number of screens. Mann has essentially been operating the place at first-run prices (especially once one accounts for parking), and that’s probably part of the reason it hasn’t done so well.

Although the Fairfax is looking to have its fair share of troubles and Regency may have to give it up, I can’t imagine Regency would want to take up another theater only about 10 blocks away at present. Especially with that screen-count.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 5, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Wow! How did I guess it to be true? It appears Mann is just cleaning house all around. Pretty soon they will probably just run the Chinese…and very badly at that. The Beverly Center has not been a major player since The Grove opened. The mall owners will probably try to lure someone else into running it. Regency perhaps? Otherwise, it will probably remain vacant unless it turns into a retail outlet.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 5, 2009 at 9:14 pm

It would be wild if anybody picked the place up, so Thursday may be it. I’m now regretting that I decided against catching BLOOD: THE LAST VAMPIRE there last week due to traffic, now that I’m out of town and won’t be able to see a last show. Then again, perhaps NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH back in December was a fitting last show, as it was one of the few prints I’ve ever seen in good condition at the place. It’s a shame the place was so ratty, at least in recent years.

movie15
movie15 on August 5, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Sad news. The Beverly Center will be closing its doors on Thursday, August 6, 2009. Confirmed this by calling the theater.

BradE41
BradE41 on August 5, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Is Mann dropping the Beverly Center? They have no listings of showtimes on thier website beyond tomorrow.

Coate
Coate on May 4, 2009 at 9:10 am

KingBiscuits…
In addition to “Point Break” and “The Last Emperor,” the Beverly Center, believe it or not, showed the following in 70mm: “Cocoon: The Return” (1988), “The Abyss” (1989), “Patriot Games” (1992) and “The Remains Of The Day” (1992).

movie15
movie15 on May 2, 2009 at 6:40 pm

i’m shoched that this theater could play a movie in 70mm.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on February 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I found that one other film played in 70mm here: The Last Emperor in 1988.

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Which auditorium? I gather the big one upstairs?

Side note: The last few times I attended the theatre near the end of Loews Cineplex run and throughout Mann’s management no film I have seen there seems to have been in surround at all. They just seemed to be turned off.

As much as I try to avoid this theatre sometimes it is the only place to see a film that has played out elsewhere. One must go in with low expectations and enjoy it for the train wreck as it is, especially if you see a scope picture in one of the small houses with a screen the size of TV when properly masked.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on February 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm

The Beverly Center was also where Universal and DTS quietly tested the latter’s disc-based digital sound system on several titles between the fall of 1992 and the spring of 1993. If you saw Mr. Baseball, The Public Eye, CB4, Mad Dog and Glory, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story or several other Universal releases that played at the Beverly Center during this time, you got to experience DTS before it went public with Jurassic Park.

Side note: That first DTS test unit from 1992 is still in use at the Beverly Center to this day.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on February 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I was looking on the fromscripttodvd.com website and I was surprised to find out that a 70mm engagement played here. It was Point Break, the James Cameron-produced surfing action film with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze from 1991.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 6, 2009 at 9:02 pm

The info should give the aka Cineplex Beverly Center, the name it had in the L.A. Times theater listings in the 1980s.

I never went to this theater, and was only in the Beverly Center itself twice. I urgently desire never to see a movie here, or to enter the Beverly Center ever again.

I’m convinced that the entire Beverly Center complex was dropped onto the landscape by an alien spacecraft, and then the aliens used a mind-control ray to gull humans into thinking the monstrosity had been legally and deliberately erected by a developer. Someday the Intergalactic Court will require the offenders to return to Earth and remove their hideous heap of discarded refuse. I don’t want to be inside the place when that happens. (/rant)