Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,226 - 1,250 of 1,443 comments

hardbop on April 8, 2005 at 10:35 am

Do you by any chance have the time(s) “Patton” is playing? I have only seen it on video and am chomping at the bit to see it on the big screen. I need to know so I can schedule my Tribeca Film Festival going around this screening. The Loew’s Jersey City web site doesn’t have the new schedule posted yet.

I’ve been going out to the Loew’s Jersey City for several years now. I don’t know why more New Yorkers don’t make the trek. It is a 20-minute PATH ride from Penn Station and then directly across the street from the PATH station.

I was out there most recently for the “Rocky” screening, a movie, I’m sad to say, doesn’t stand the test of time. Hard to believe this one bagged a Best Picture Oscar.

I think the volunteers at the LJC deserve all the credit in the world because this on-going restoral is very much an on-going effort.

Theaterat on April 8, 2005 at 9:53 am

Geat Escape….definately, Where Eagles Dare….maybe. Von Ryans Express…not. How about The Longest Day or The Dirty Dozen? What makes Patton an excellent movie is George C Scotts performance. He is arrogant,defiant, strong willed, and generally relishes his role playing soldier. We will follow this guy anywhere. When he says he lived in previous lifetimes, we believe him. He is what Americans like about their commanders sort of the anti Mac Arthur. Above all, he is likeable in the role. Truly one of the greats. A friend of mine says the tanks are innacurate for their time …they actually appeared after WW II, but who cares?

VincentParisi on April 8, 2005 at 6:32 am

Please The Great Escape or Where Eagles Dare or Von Ryan’s Express.

VincentParisi on April 6, 2005 at 10:45 am

Patton a good movie but after over two hours of a bullying George C Scott you kind of know what Ava Gardner went through.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 6, 2005 at 10:35 am

A good musical tied to the theme of the end of WWII would be “It’s Always Fair Weather” a glum little story about disillusioned post-war vets.

VincentParisi on April 6, 2005 at 6:18 am

They don’t seem to like musicals all that much. Either the MGM kind or the wide screen ‘60s classics. Too bad.

Butch on April 5, 2005 at 10:34 pm

The next scheduled program is “The 60th Anniversity of the End of World War Two” on April 29th and 30th. So far: “The Great Dictator”(Charlie Chaplin) and
“Patton”(George C. Scott). “Patton” was one of only two films photographed in the D-150 process and even the 35mm prints are usually visually stunning.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2005 at 4:40 pm

Or, as my English teacher might say, when is the next scheduled program?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2005 at 4:39 pm

What is the next program scheduled?

Theaterat on April 3, 2005 at 9:24 am

Did the Jersey last night( april 2) After only 2 visits – The first for Ben Hur, this has become my favorite theater. Really liked Jailhouse Rock in the widescreen format. Stayed for the Haunting too. Excellent, intelligent film- the kind of shocker where your immagination is able to scare you more than FX can. The theater is a little rough around the edges, but the volunteers and others who are running the show deserve a standing ovation! This is moviegoing the way it used to be…and should be. With such winners like Miss Congeniality 2 and the Pacifier( to only name two) this was the best show in town!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2005 at 8:12 am

Last night was one of the best revival house experiences I’ve ever had: THE HAUNTING at the Loew’s Jersey. The theater looks a little bit like the house in the movie, what with the huge open spaces, the heavy curtains, the mirrors, the sculpted faces and heads all over the place, etc., and the way the soundtrack echoed and boomed throughout the place – I tell ya, I’ve seen the movie countless times on video and even a few times in 35mm, but nothing compared to how frightening the movie became in a theater like the Loew’s.

HenryAldridge on March 28, 2005 at 11:00 am

Does anyone know if Dick Leibert played at this theater before he went to the Brooklyn Paramount?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 16, 2005 at 4:53 pm

Posted today on the Loew’s Kings page:

The Brooklyn Paramount is larger and more sumptuous than the Kings, mainly because of its location in downtown Brooklyn, which was the equivalent of a major city in those days. The Brooklyn Paramount was also the first theatre built in the project that Loew’s took over from Paramount and became known as the “Loew’s Wonder Theatres.” That’s how Rapp & Rapp became architects of the Kings. They had already been scheduled for it by Paramount…The Brooklyn Paramount now seems to have an edge over the Kings in restoration to a theatre, since it’s in better physical condition and better served by public transportation.
posted by Warren on Mar 16, 2005 at 10:10am

Friends of the Paramount, unite!

teecee on March 16, 2005 at 10:26 am

There are some photos of the Stanley and Loew’s Jersey Theaters here:
posted by lostmemory on the Stanley listing Mar 16, 2005 at 10:27am

Thanks LM for finding this one!

VincentParisi on March 16, 2005 at 6:26 am

Nice double feature with starting times well placed. Please do more programs like this. Great stuff.

mdvoskin on March 16, 2005 at 6:13 am

The Loews Jersey’s next film weekend (April 1 & 2) is now on-line, all black & white wide screen films.

• Woody Allen’s Manhattan
  • Jail House Rock
  • The Haunting

Click on http://www.loewsjersey.org for more information and show dates and times.

JimRankin on March 15, 2005 at 12:08 am

Note that colors as seen on the printed page and on screen come from different technologies, so one must expect some differences in what one sees. The producers of the different media also may have different opinions and objectives in making colors brighter or diming them according to their marketing purposes. Sad to say, there is not ‘one color fits all.’ And when you get into the color of a video/TV image in either the NTSC or the new ATSC American color systems, it is yet again a whole new ball game!

mahermusic on March 14, 2005 at 5:12 pm

Colin Egan lives and breathes the Loew’s Jersey… he, Pattie, and all of us think of this as our (very large) baby….. just needing a LOT of changing.

VincentParisi on March 14, 2005 at 2:00 pm

And what I want to know is why the colors of the souvenir book photos match those of the print the Jersey showed?
I remember someone complaining when the restored Fair Lady played at the Ziegfeld in ‘93 that the colors were not as vivid as he remembered however they matched the colors that I remembered from the Broadway on Broadway 70mm print and the photos in the souvenir book. The only things that did not match were the astounding 6 track sound of the Warner Cinerama and its large curved head-on screen.

mdvoskin on March 14, 2005 at 1:45 pm

You know, sometimes memory plays tricks on you. A few years ago (3 to be exact), I got to see an original release 35mm British IB Tech print of Ben Hur. Let me tell you, the color quality, both in intensity and shading, on the new print is not significantly different.

The issue with using private prints is a complicated one. Some of the studios will allow you to run a privately owned collector print if you pay the licensing fee, and other will not. Both Ben Hur and GWTW are distributed by Warner, which will not. It would not be responsible for us to risk someones print, and our good relationship with Warner Brothers, to run a private print when they specifically do not approve.

Loews Jersey Projection Staff

As Pete has stated, the Loews Jersey does not have mag stereo capabilities.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on March 14, 2005 at 8:21 am

The Loew’s Jersey and its vertical sign are visible in a photograph of Journal Square that appears on page 28 of Kevin Lynch’s book The Image of the City. The photo is undated, but the book has a 1960 copyright. The photo is too small to be able to read the marquee.

In this photo, Journal Square looks like a frightening place for a pedestrian, with a wide sea of traffic going everywhere.

VincentParisi on March 14, 2005 at 6:57 am

Yes I remember that echo from the Westwood Pascack and the Hackensack Fox. What warm memories that evokes. I remember standing at the back of the balcony at the Loews Jersey once while they were working and was amazed at how wonderful the sound was coming from the stage. One of those secrets that seems to be lost with time.
I can’t give enough credit to Collin and his crew for what they have achieved. To take on Jersey politicos and Jersey developers and come out on top is beyond miraculous.

YMike on March 13, 2005 at 9:47 pm

I hope some day they open the balcony so we can all experience the acoustics. For now the echo reminds me of being in the Loews Oriental before it was split into three theaters.

mahermusic on March 13, 2005 at 6:57 pm

The Loew’s Jersey’s acoustics are incredible. I’ve told you guys about interesting things about the Jersey in earlier posts here, but I can also tell you that I can stand in the last row of the balcony, and hear people talking in normal conversation on the stage… clearly!

MrAudio on March 12, 2005 at 6:59 am

For some reason, I thought the Jersey did have mag capability. Thanks Peter for the heads up.

That echo….. When I first went to the Jersey during their first annual Comedy Fest, I was struck by two things. First, the decor of the auditorium which immediately reminded me of the UA Ridgewood where I spent most of my movie going youth (this was waaaaaay before they first triplexed, and from what I hear now, five plexed the place). Of course, the Jersey was more intricate and much larger, but the style was the same. Even down to the “fake” boxes.

The second was that echo! Warm, almost tangible feelings of being transported back to my youth immediately overtook me. This was how movies sounded when I was growing up! I had become so used to the modern acoustically “dead” room sound of modern cinemas, I had forgotten how things used to sound in a grand old palace.

Of course that echo was there in the Ridgewood because, like the Lowes Jersey, their balcony was never open, so the theater never reached full capacity, and the sound just bounced around all that open space.

Saps is right, if the Jersey was full, that echo would be greatly diminished. Then you would hear how wonderful acoustically the old place really is.