Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,226 - 1,250 of 1,457 comments

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on April 11, 2005 at 6:20 pm

Patton will indeed be a standard Panavision 35mm print. It is my understanding that the print has some issues with scratches and some occasional minor jump splices, but the color is good.

Great Escape in a newly struck restored print.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 11, 2005 at 10:08 am

The Great Escape AND Patton the same day! Wow! Too bad I have to attend a ship modelers show in Connecticut that day( my club is sponsoring it) If not for that, I would be the first one on line along with many members from my other club. I will miss it. I guess I can watch them on DVD, but it just will not compare to the Big Screen

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 10, 2005 at 7:57 am

Rhett: If you turn right after leaving the Loew’s and keep walking down Kennedy Boulevard a few blocks, you’ll come to a nice park called Lincoln Park. As for parking, use the parking facility described below and you can get a half-price-off voucher inside the theater:

Paid parking is available at “Square Ramp Parking Garage”, located directly behind the Loew’s on Magnolia Avenue. Traveling south on Kennedy Boulevard, continue past the Loew’s to the third traffic light. This is the intersection of Kennedy Boulevard and Tonnelle Avenue. (It is the first opportunity past the Loew’s to make a right turn.) Turn right onto Tonnelle Avenue from Kennedy Boulevard. Less than a quarter of a block down Tonnelle, make the first right turn you can onto Magnolia Avenue. This is a somewhat narrow, two-way street that appears to be a dead end. In fact, you will be looking at the side wall of the Loew’s at the end of the street. Travel down Magnolia until you reach the Theatre; turn left into Square Ramp Parking Garage. After parking, follow the red pavement and “Walkway” markings alongside the Theatre; continue on the walkway as it narrows to Kennedy Boulevard. Turn left onto Kennedy and the Loew’s entrance is a few paces away, next to the “J.C. Police” station.

umbaba
umbaba on April 10, 2005 at 5:47 am

I’ve never been to the Loews Jersey City. The showtimes never jived to my liking but with a matinee of Great escape and Dictator I might just take a trip. Re: Patton: What kind of print will it be. It definitely won’t be the D-150 print but will it be a standard Panavision 35MM?? How bout quality?? If I have to kill an hour between showtimes, are there places around to go? and how bout the parking situation?? If I go, I hope it’s a great experience and not one where I say I’ll never go back…Jersey City is not the best of sections…but look forward to the flicks

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on April 9, 2005 at 10:25 pm

“The Great Dictator” would have made a nice double bill with “To Be Or Not To Be” which starred Carole Lombard and Jack Benny.brucec

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on April 9, 2005 at 12:43 pm

Our next film weekend (April 29 – May 1) is now on-line.

• The Great Dictator
  • The Great Escape
  • Patton

Surf over to http://www.loewsjersey.org for more information.

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on April 8, 2005 at 11:09 pm

Vincent, if the old fashioned Chinese restaurant you are talking about is Canton Casino (or Canton Garden as it was also known) which was down the street from the Loews on Bergen Ave., that place has, sadly, closed. I found this out the hard way last week when I had it all planned to go there first and then to go to the Loews Jersey afterwards. I showed up to the front door of the restaurant only to find it locked. Tried to call information to get the phone number, but they didn’t have one listed.Major dissapointment, and I felt like I was about to get blown off the sidewalk in the process, it was so blustery that day. I’m so glad I got to go there on two other occasions. Apparently they closed last November after being there as long, if not longer than the Loews Jersey. Really amazing place, huge & ornate. Lotta history.

If this isn’t the Chinese place you’re talking about, I’d like to know about the other old fashioned place you are talking about. Would defintely want to check that out.

By the way, had an AMAZING time at Jailhouse Rock/The Haunting. My first visit to the Lowes Jersey and was blown away by everything. So glad this place has been saved. Cheers to the staff, they do an amazing job. I can’t wait to go at the end of April, I have told a bunch of friends and they are all psyched to go there as well. Hope to see you for ‘Where Eagles Dare’ and whatever else makes it on the bill.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on April 8, 2005 at 1:27 pm

Bruce that’s a great list of fims.
I’ve also heard there’s a classic Hudson County old fashioned chinese restaurnant in the area.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on April 8, 2005 at 12:49 pm

Here are a couple of suggestions for a double bill of MGM musicals. On The Town/Its Always Fair Weather, Meet Me in St Louis/The Harvey Girls, Singing in the Rain/The Bandwagon, An American in Paris/Gigi, Showboat/Kiss Me Kate, Annie Get Your Gun/Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society/Silk Stockings, and Easter Parade/Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

PS Vincent I also liked “Von Ryan’s Express” as well as The Great Escape,Patton,Bridge On The River Kwai,The Longest Day,The Guns of Navarone,Battle of Britain,Stalog 17,From Here To Eternity,The Train and Saving Private Ryan.brucec

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 8, 2005 at 12:27 pm

About the V.I.P. Diner:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 8, 2005 at 12:06 pm

Not really a restaurant, but right next door is a great little hot dog place called Boulevard Drinks. It’s been there at least as long as the Loew’s itself (1929), maybe even longer. Their hot dogs are excellent, and they make a great soft drink called a lime rickey. It’s located to the left of the Loew’s, and it’s very small (only about 6 or 7 stools), but you can always take the food out.

And of course about 3 or 4 blocks north on Kennedy Blvd. is the beloved White Castle. There’s a good diner in the neighborhood too, called the V.I.P. Diner. It’s a short walk from the Loew’s, off Kennedy Blvd. going south.

hardbop
hardbop on April 8, 2005 at 11:52 am

Looks like it will be a long day for me in Jersey City on Saturday, April 30. Hello Jersey City, goodbye Tribeca. Any good restaurant recommendations?

hardbop
hardbop on April 8, 2005 at 11:52 am

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on April 8, 2005 at 11:42 am

As of now, Great Escape will be on Saturday afternoon, Patton Saturday evening April 30th. I’ll post an announcement when it is finalized and on the web site.

Where Eagles Dare is one of my favorite movies, but here are no good prints available (red, splicy, scratched). We looked into it.

Don’t give up hope for MGM musicals at the Loews, I haven’t.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

hardbop
hardbop on April 8, 2005 at 10:35 am

Do you by any chance have the time(s) “Patton” is playing? I have only seen it on video and am chomping at the bit to see it on the big screen. I need to know so I can schedule my Tribeca Film Festival going around this screening. The Loew’s Jersey City web site doesn’t have the new schedule posted yet.

I’ve been going out to the Loew’s Jersey City for several years now. I don’t know why more New Yorkers don’t make the trek. It is a 20-minute PATH ride from Penn Station and then directly across the street from the PATH station.

I was out there most recently for the “Rocky” screening, a movie, I’m sad to say, doesn’t stand the test of time. Hard to believe this one bagged a Best Picture Oscar.

I think the volunteers at the LJC deserve all the credit in the world because this on-going restoral is very much an on-going effort.

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 8, 2005 at 9:53 am

Geat Escape….definately, Where Eagles Dare….maybe. Von Ryans Express…not. How about The Longest Day or The Dirty Dozen? What makes Patton an excellent movie is George C Scotts performance. He is arrogant,defiant, strong willed, and generally relishes his role playing soldier. We will follow this guy anywhere. When he says he lived in previous lifetimes, we believe him. He is what Americans like about their commanders sort of the anti Mac Arthur. Above all, he is likeable in the role. Truly one of the greats. A friend of mine says the tanks are innacurate for their time …they actually appeared after WW II, but who cares?

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on April 8, 2005 at 6:32 am

Please The Great Escape or Where Eagles Dare or Von Ryan’s Express.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on April 6, 2005 at 10:45 am

Patton a good movie but after over two hours of a bullying George C Scott you kind of know what Ava Gardner went through.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 6, 2005 at 10:35 am

A good musical tied to the theme of the end of WWII would be “It’s Always Fair Weather” a glum little story about disillusioned post-war vets.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on April 6, 2005 at 6:18 am

They don’t seem to like musicals all that much. Either the MGM kind or the wide screen ‘60s classics. Too bad.

Butch
Butch on April 5, 2005 at 10:34 pm

The next scheduled program is “The 60th Anniversity of the End of World War Two” on April 29th and 30th. So far: “The Great Dictator”(Charlie Chaplin) and
“Patton”(George C. Scott). “Patton” was one of only two films photographed in the D-150 process and even the 35mm prints are usually visually stunning.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2005 at 4:40 pm

Or, as my English teacher might say, when is the next scheduled program?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2005 at 4:39 pm

What is the next program scheduled?

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 3, 2005 at 9:24 am

Did the Jersey last night( april 2) After only 2 visits – The first for Ben Hur, this has become my favorite theater. Really liked Jailhouse Rock in the widescreen format. Stayed for the Haunting too. Excellent, intelligent film- the kind of shocker where your immagination is able to scare you more than FX can. The theater is a little rough around the edges, but the volunteers and others who are running the show deserve a standing ovation! This is moviegoing the way it used to be…and should be. With such winners like Miss Congeniality 2 and the Pacifier( to only name two) this was the best show in town!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2005 at 8:12 am

Last night was one of the best revival house experiences I’ve ever had: THE HAUNTING at the Loew’s Jersey. The theater looks a little bit like the house in the movie, what with the huge open spaces, the heavy curtains, the mirrors, the sculpted faces and heads all over the place, etc., and the way the soundtrack echoed and boomed throughout the place – I tell ya, I’ve seen the movie countless times on video and even a few times in 35mm, but nothing compared to how frightening the movie became in a theater like the Loew’s.