Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,276 - 1,300 of 1,413 comments

William
William on March 3, 2005 at 8:38 am

On the last reissue of “GWTW”, all the prints were printed anamorphic. So you will have a full 1.37 aspect ratio within the scope frame. Like on TV when an old 1.37 picture comes on, during the titles you see it windowboxed on the sides for the full frame and then it goes to slightly cropped.

IanJudge
IanJudge on March 3, 2005 at 8:31 am

I think that Mitchell means is that the last round of prints for the most recent re-release used a 1:33 image printed in the middle of a widescreen picture, with black bars to fill in the sides.

They did it this way because so few theaters have 1:33 lenses these days, and this new method would guarantee they could show the picture, since all theaters have 1:85 (flat) and 2:35 (scope) apertures and lenses.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on March 3, 2005 at 7:54 am

Mitchell,
I’m not sure what you mean. Is this the original 1.33 image or did the reissue cut off the image from the top and bottom?
What exactly does “side letterboxed” mean?
What is the color like?

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on March 3, 2005 at 6:55 am

I ran the chariot race reel from Ben Hur last night, and wow, the print is stunning and in Dolby Stereo.

The Gone With The Wind print is from the 1999 re-issue, which unfortunately, are all “side letterboxed” in a widescreen image. What this means to those watching it at the Loews Jersey is that the picture size will be somewhat smaller than the normal huge picture we normally present.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

Divinity
Divinity on February 23, 2005 at 9:58 pm

Since the clock has a twin, It might be possible to re-cast the figure so that St. George can slay his fire breathing dragon again.
Wouldn’t that go wonderfully with the fully restored sign?

beardbear31
beardbear31 on February 23, 2005 at 9:44 pm

Thank you Divinity, that always puzzled me….I am speachless now about that….

Divinity
Divinity on February 22, 2005 at 12:52 am

People Assumed that the crew removing the dragon were construction workers that might have been repairing the building Beardbear31. No one would suspect that theives would have done this in broad daylight at the city’s third largest shopping district.

YMike
YMike on February 17, 2005 at 11:04 am

Great! Can’t wait to see it.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on February 14, 2005 at 12:40 pm

If the studio sends the print of Ben Hur I expect they are going to send, the sound will be Dolby Stereo. GWTW will be the restored print from a few years ago, the only one currently distribution.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

YMike
YMike on February 13, 2005 at 8:58 pm

Hope they show the recently restored print of GWTW. Should look great on that big screen.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on February 13, 2005 at 8:33 pm

Great link, TC! Looking at those photos of them raising the restored dragon with a crane, makes me wonder how someone could have stolen the dragon from the Loew’s Paradise clock…..

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2005 at 6:46 am

“Ben-Hur” at the Loew’s Jersey on March 5th – 44 years after I first saw it there when I was 6 years old. I was hoping this day would come someday.

Vito
Vito on February 13, 2005 at 4:10 am

Mitchell, which sound formats will be used for “Ben Hur” and “GWTW?

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on February 12, 2005 at 11:47 am

The Loews Jersey’s next film weekend will be March 4-6, and is now on-line.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

teecee
teecee on February 11, 2005 at 11:03 am

Interesting photos taken during exterior renovation, courtesy of The Jersey Journal at this link:

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on February 3, 2005 at 7:42 am

Thanks for your response. I look forward to your next program.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on February 3, 2005 at 6:29 am

Hopefully if all goes well, you will see 70mm at the Loews next fall. As to a larger screen, it probably won’t happen since the theatre is also used for live performances. The current screen is the largest that can fit into the arch, and going outside the arch would make it impossible to raise the screen up into the stage loft. 60 to 70 foot portable screens are not really a viable option.

/Mitchell
Loews Jersey Projection Staff

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on February 3, 2005 at 6:00 am

But an image of 2.35:1 has a screen size distinctly smaller than a 1:33 or 1:85 with the type of proscenium the Loew’s has.

Shade
Shade on February 2, 2005 at 4:12 pm

I’m sure they would be into that, but I think they’d be happier if someone else was coordinating all the craziness with having a portable screen. They have a 50 x 25 now. Sure it’s not the Cinerama Dome’s 86-footer, but it’s not exactly small…

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on February 2, 2005 at 4:05 pm

OK so let’s say I’ve died and gone to heaven.
This would be the Loew’s presenting 70mm. However they install a screen of 60 to 70 ft for just such a purpose.
The Loews is great for Vistavision(how about Vertigo, Funny Face or Strategic Air Command?) But cinemascope in that huge place is a disappointment as screen size is reduced by a third to a half.
Anyway if the people at the Loew’s(and though I don’t know you I love you all)are interested I’m for starting a NY wide-screen club and working to find a way to make a portable screen for such events. Having no expertise in such matters I don’t know if this is even doable. Might the Loew’s be interested in something like this? Any comments?

Butch
Butch on February 1, 2005 at 10:06 am

I was there for the last show Saturday when an announcement was made that a closing theater in Washington would be donating two 70MM projectors to the Jersey. Hopefully this may encourage a 70MM festival in the future.

gabedellafave
gabedellafave on February 1, 2005 at 9:24 am

I was also there on Saturday, but only for the first film. Nice presentation! I highly recommend this venue to anyone who cares about seeing classic films in their original environment. The theatre itself will knock your socks off. It is an amazing sight to see. Not only is it huge and ornate, but it is largely intact — a definite time warp to c. 1929.

YMike
YMike on February 1, 2005 at 5:18 am

Was there Saturday. Nice prints on both films.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 11, 2005 at 6:30 am

I can’t believe it. Finally somebody there who can program films suitable for a movie palace. Sorry for the sarcasm guys but it’s been too long. Keep up the good work!

YMike
YMike on January 11, 2005 at 5:16 am

They are showing the 1940 “Thief Of Bagdad” as well as “The Adventures Of Robin Hood” on Jan.29. Hope they get nice prints. Both films should look great on a big screen.