Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,326 - 1,350 of 1,414 comments

Divinity
Divinity on October 19, 2004 at 4:33 pm

The Loews Jersey is a Divine theater that I discovered on this website. Thank you Cinematreasures! I finally made my first visit for the 75th anniversary festival. It was so wonderful wandering the halls and the grand lobby. There is a distinct aroma lingering in this theater that reminded me of what the Paradise (Jersey’s sister theater in the bronx) smelled like when I was a child. The exhibit in the lobby was wonderfully informative. I will definately re-visit for “Night of the living Dead” on Oct 30th. Hopefully I will be able to drag along some friends who will probably pretend to go only for the theater and not the cult classic. I have no shame in admitting that I will enjoy both.

porterfaulkner
porterfaulkner on October 19, 2004 at 2:55 pm

Congratulations, Loew’s Jersey City. Its all yours now so run with it! Great good wishes for the future of this most majestic of movie palaces.

RobertR
RobertR on October 19, 2004 at 2:48 pm

I think Night of the Living dead may be in the public domain, so they dont have to pay any film rental. I second the motion for White Christmas, I have never seen it in a theatre.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on October 19, 2004 at 2:37 pm

Very wonderful news. Just hope they schedule films more suitable to a movie palace. Lately the programs have been more Film Forum retrospective and less Loews MGM. Anybody have any comments on this? Sorry for looking a gift horse in the mouth after all these guys have been through and the great work they have done. But Night of the Living Dead for a Saturday evening on the Halloween weekend just ain’t a family audience friendly film. Leave it to places like the Angelica and Cinema Village. Hope they’ve got a pristine print of White Christmas lined up for the holidays.

RobertR
RobertR on October 18, 2004 at 6:15 pm

Great News !!!! I hope we can look forward to more classic films.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on October 18, 2004 at 4:10 am

Saturday’s Jersey Journal reports Acting Mayor L. Harvey Smith has signed a five-year agreement with Friends Of Loew’s to operate the theatre.

MarkW
MarkW on October 14, 2004 at 5:19 pm

Doug,

Any news? Good news I hope.

-Mark

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on October 13, 2004 at 1:48 am

The proposal before the City Council scheduled for tonight (October 13) has been postponed. It may be on the agenda at the October 27 meeting. Will keep you posted.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 8, 2004 at 12:49 pm

On Saturday, I saw my 20th classic movie on the Loew’s big screen,
SPARTACUS. Believe me, the last thing Jersey City needs is another
tacky store or office building. It’s incredibly sad how a wonderful
building like the Loew’s has to constantly struggle just to survive.
I sincerely hope Saturday wasn’t the last time I took a walk around
the beautiful lobby and its upstairs balcony, or climbed the grand
red-carpeted staircase, or sat in one of the front rows and gazed up
at the ceiling hundreds of feet above my head – all awe-inspiring
sights that can’t be experienced in any other movie theater in the New York area.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on October 7, 2004 at 7:33 am

There will be a meeting of the City Council at 6:00 PM on Wednesday, October 13 at City Hall, 280 Grove Street – two blocks west of the PATH station. Smith’s plan to transfer the theatre to the Redevelopment Authority will go through unless the council is convinced otherwise.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on October 5, 2004 at 12:29 pm

Porter:
Platters themselves are not inherently damaging to film. But there are many more surfaces that the film must touch and all of them can add up to increased wear on the print if the platter is not well maintained. Also, the make-up and tear-down process on the print is where most of the damage occurs, especially if it’s done rapidly (which is usually the case in most platter operations where they are working 4-18 screens at once).

porterfaulkner
porterfaulkner on October 5, 2004 at 11:44 am

Bob; you say that platter systems are not acceptable for running vintage or rare prints. I’d be interested to hear why not. Is the modern stock more hard wearing or is it that the film companies want a projectionist to be present just in case of mishap?

RonMotta
RonMotta on October 5, 2004 at 11:15 am

I went to the screening of “Superman” this past Sunday and must say, it was probably the best movie-going experience I ever had since I was six years old (not including proposing to my wife at the Ziegfeld two years ago). I also left the place kicking myself for just discovering this buried treasure. When I saw the kind of movies that have played here recently—like “Forbidden Planet”, “A Night at the Opera”, “Dr. Who and the Daleks” and pretty much all incarnations of “Frankenstein,”—I couldn’t believe that I just found out about this place and now, it’s on the verge of being closed down.

Unfortunately, I don’t live in Jersey City (don’t even live in New Jersey), so I’m not sure what kind of weight my opinion would have with the city council or the mayor, but why can’t they see past their own arrogance and greed? The Loews Jersey isn’t just a movie theater, it has the potential to be a cultural center.

“Listen to reason for once, man, even if you are a politician!” —Jon Pertween in “The Day of the Daleks”.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on October 5, 2004 at 8:55 am

Yes, that Forbidden Planet show was in Perspecta Stereo, and that’s why I included the MGM Symphony, cartoon, and Perspecta demo reel in the program. We had over 700 people for that presentation! The integrator was working pretty well, although we were having some problems with the center channel. But, it did give an idea of how effective the process could be on a 50 foot screen. Most people though it was true 3 channel stereo!

Vincent, I’m sorry too that my association did not continue with the Jersey. But, they have there own way of presenting film now, and I’m afraid it doesn’t jive with the type of presentation which I like to do.

As far as the current situation, I have no idea what ugly politics are involved with the future of this theater. It’s a true shame.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on October 5, 2004 at 8:28 am

Bob considering your knowledge, all the work you did at the Jersey and your appreciation of great classic films I am very sorry you are no longer affiliated with the theater.
Will there be a public hearing on the fate of the FOL?

theatrefan
theatrefan on October 5, 2004 at 8:27 am

Bob – Wasn’t Forbidden Planet presented in Perspecta Stereo sound back in April 2002? I was there for that show and it was awesome!

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on October 5, 2004 at 8:13 am

Vito, the booth was a mess when we started. When Loew’s pulled out of the building in the mid-80’s, they not only stripped all the equipment, they left the booth windows open. Pigeons moved in, and the place was a filthy mess. When we started restoring the booth, Bob and I had no heat OR running water. We had to go next door to CH Martin to clean up. I don’t miss those days at all!

The Corelites were abandoned in the theater (one was laying on stage, and the other was in a storage room near the booth.) They needed a lot of work, and Bob deserves all the credit for getting them functional again. They have new jaws, but that #2 lamp has always been very moody.

That’s a new screen which I was able to secure with a donation by Comcast. I brought in Nick Clooney and American Movie Classics to do a segment when we opened up the center aisle and un-veiled the new screen. It was quite an event!

Vito
Vito on October 5, 2004 at 8:03 am

Bob, Thanks for the info, sounds like a booth I would have enjoyed working in, (hate platters) The core lights are magnificent, the drifting, of course, can be traced back to the motor needing new brushes or if the positive carbon is drifting perhaps the tension on the jaws is a bit tight. I must stop by and visit sometime, sounds like a great booth.

theatrefan
theatrefan on October 5, 2004 at 8:00 am

I think vandals destroyed the original one, so its a new screen.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 5, 2004 at 7:48 am

Is the screen currently in the theater the original screen or did they install a new one?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on October 5, 2004 at 7:28 am

Yes, Tom Pedler was a very very kind man, and all of us who knew him at the Jersey miss him very much.

Vito, the projection equipment was secured by Bob Eberenz. The projectors are Kineton reel to reel. The sound system is a Sony DCP with vintage Altec tube amps, and the speakers are Altec Voice of the Theater. They can handle 4 channel Dolby stereo, and 3 channel Perspecta. (The Perspecta integrator is a fully restored Fairchild unit from 1954.) The lamphouses are 1955 vintage Ashcraft Super Corelite carbon arcs. Considering their age and current lack of continual use, they work as best can be expected. Last weekend, the #1 lamp was fine but #2 was drifting and had a color temperature imbalance.

Any theater that wants to run archival or vault prints has to run reel to reel. Platters are not acceptable for rare prints.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 5, 2004 at 4:20 am

Jim: Sorry to tell you this, but Tom Pedler died on April 27, 2002. There was a memorial to him printed in the program for the James Bond festival held at the Loew’s Jersey in May 2002.

Vito
Vito on October 5, 2004 at 4:08 am

Bob, will you please tell us what type of projection you installed?
two projectors or platter. Sound system.

mdit99
mdit99 on October 5, 2004 at 1:28 am

Anyone know what happened to Tom Pedler, The only man that was employed by the Theatre to do much of the behind the scenes work, like plumbing and electrical? I spoke to him on a few occasions and he really knew his stuff.

RobertR
RobertR on October 3, 2004 at 6:53 pm

Are any more movie events planned? It would have been fun to do something for Halloween. It could have coincided with that big horror & sci-fi show they hold every year in Secaucus.