Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,326 - 1,350 of 1,443 comments

Butch on February 1, 2005 at 6:06 pm

I was there for the last show Saturday when an announcement was made that a closing theater in Washington would be donating two 70MM projectors to the Jersey. Hopefully this may encourage a 70MM festival in the future.

gabedellafave on February 1, 2005 at 5:24 pm

I was also there on Saturday, but only for the first film. Nice presentation! I highly recommend this venue to anyone who cares about seeing classic films in their original environment. The theatre itself will knock your socks off. It is an amazing sight to see. Not only is it huge and ornate, but it is largely intact — a definite time warp to c. 1929.

YMike on February 1, 2005 at 1:18 pm

Was there Saturday. Nice prints on both films.

VincentParisi on January 11, 2005 at 2:30 pm

I can’t believe it. Finally somebody there who can program films suitable for a movie palace. Sorry for the sarcasm guys but it’s been too long. Keep up the good work!

YMike on January 11, 2005 at 1:16 pm

They are showing the 1940 “Thief Of Bagdad” as well as “The Adventures Of Robin Hood” on Jan.29. Hope they get nice prints. Both films should look great on a big screen.

bruceanthony on December 31, 2004 at 7:12 pm

I think a good rotation of quality films from 1930’s,1940’s,1950,s,1960’s,and films after 1970 would attract a large audience. A studio tribute to M-G-M during its 80th birthday would tie in Loew’s Jersey’s historical past.Maybe at the end of the tribute a new M-G-M film such as “Be Cool” with John Travolta and Uma Thurman could be premiered or shown. Maybe someone could contact MGM and gain some publicity for the Loew’s-MGM connection as well as promoting there new film. Its ironic that MGM will soon be part of Sony and at one time Sony ownded a 50% interest in Loew’s theatres.brucec

RobertR on December 10, 2004 at 7:58 pm

I’m suprised they would only run My Fair Lady on a Friday night and not both nights. What kind of stereo equiptment is the theatre using right now?

VincentParisi on December 10, 2004 at 7:37 pm

Having enjoyed your programs enormously and finding the individual you are refering to always a pleasure to speak with and a charming host in his introductions one can only regret any misunderstandings the two of you have had as your previous relationship did the theater proud.

VincentParisi on December 10, 2004 at 5:48 pm

What they are doing now makes no sense to me. They want to contiue to show classic films at the Loew’s. Yet they show films that are R rated or innapropriate for the family or they show films that as great as they are really need a rest. Am I missing something?

JimRankin on December 10, 2004 at 5:39 pm

Poor Bob Furmanek; he has noticed what I have: that the theares are often far sweeter than the people who own and run them.

VincentParisi on December 10, 2004 at 4:58 pm

Just saw the holiday schedule. Wow. A Christmas Story and It’s a Wonderful Life.
Calling Bob Furmanek
The Loew’s is in desperate, desperate need of a film programmer who knows what will play well in a movie palace and what films have not been played to death. Guys, you have struggled so much and done such magnificent work. Why are you wasting these weekends?

Divinity on November 21, 2004 at 7:12 am

The theatre is owned by the city and leased by the Friends of the Loews, as it has been for quite some time. They should be safe for the next few years, since the mayor and city council signed an agreement with them, (thanks to the supporters and friends of the loews) granting them a new lease.
Dont worry darling. Everything should be just fine.
I shall be there for the performance after attending Sunday service at the lovely Stanley theatre (Assembly Hall) across the street.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 20, 2004 at 2:15 pm

This is performance of G&S “Iolanthe” performed by the Ridgewood Gilbert & Sulivan Opera Co.. Sunday 21st November 2004 at 2:00pm Admision is FREE. A great opportunity to see the Loew’s and also see the stage being used. I wish I could be there.

SwankyJohn on November 20, 2004 at 1:48 pm

The marquee is scaring me – it’s announcing a Gilbert & Sullivan program that’s presented by the mayor and city council…. does that mean the Friends of the Loews lost the fight? Can someone give us all an update on the situation?

Divinity on November 14, 2004 at 11:45 pm

I believe that the balcony cannot be opened until the fire escape and upstairs emergency exits are restored.

DougDouglass on November 2, 2004 at 10:02 pm

At www.LoewsJersey.org you can sign-up for emails of upcoming events.

sethbook on November 2, 2004 at 9:43 pm

Is the Jersey open or not? When I go to Moviefone or enjoytheshow.com, and no Loews Jersey is listed as showing movies…

BobFurmanek on October 20, 2004 at 9:34 pm

Vincent, I’m glad that you enjoyed the Martin and Lewis program. That was typical of the kind of show that I like to do: a rare archival print with unique extras that you can’t see anywhere else. Many people commented on the live performance footage of Dean and Jerry, and how cool it was to see it in comparison with their work on film.

The balcony IS huge – it has just about as many seats as the orchestra section!

YMike on October 20, 2004 at 9:27 pm

That’s a shame. The balcony section looks as big as the orchestra. Hope someday I can see a film there.

VincentParisi on October 20, 2004 at 9:26 pm

So Friends please contact this guy. I love Manchurian Candidate but you don’t need to see it at the Loew’s. It just ain’t a movie palace picture. How about knock-out color 4 track stereo prints of The Music Man and Bye Bye Birdie? Then how about some more Jerry Lewis features? The Artists and Models program was great.
Make us happy. The October programming is as dreary as the weather. People should leave the Loew’s smiling!

YMike on October 20, 2004 at 9:12 pm

I have been to this great theatre several times. Are there any plans to open the balcony seating area any time soon?

Vito on October 20, 2004 at 8:05 pm

What wonderful threads regarding the movies we would all love to see at Loew’s Jersey. There is one horror film no one mentioned for Halloween, “The Thing” made in 1951 by Howard Hawks which still gives me chills. As for “White Christmas” I think I would walk the 30-40 miles from home to the theatre to see that film in all it’s original beauty. I assume as soon as the bookings are ready we will all know what films are coming up.

VincentParisi on October 20, 2004 at 5:41 pm

Friends please contact Bob and try to get that Technicolor print for Christmas.
People will be blind for days after seeing it but it will be worth it!
And then try to get an archival print of another Vistavision masterpiece Funny Face(maybe you can get it when Donen comes to NY who can then introduce it.) Moviegoing doesn’t get better than that. Saw it at the Music Hall in the late 70’s. Movie heaven.

VincentParisi on October 20, 2004 at 4:30 pm

Robert, a beautiful color print of White Christmas is dazzling. I saw it years ago at the Regency in Manhattan and someone I was with said that it was as if she was seeing it for the first time. Those Vistsvision ratios are perfect for the Jersey’s proscenium.

Divinity, a roaring 20’s night at the theater is a great idea. A very early talkie or silent comedy classic, some hot twenties jazz on stage with the women decked out in flapper dresses, and the men in suits(bring a hat!) or tuxes.
A gala night and a way for the Friends to make some nice dough.