RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 1,326 - 1,350 of 1,366 comments

StephanieK
StephanieK on September 30, 2004 at 11:50 am

I remember spending one long day there with my little sisters watching “The Green Berets” and leaving them alone to wander upstairs to make crank phone calls from their “London-style” telephone booth. I wonder what ever became of that. This theater was the coolest place to spend the whole day watching some great movie. Growing up in College Point in the 60’s I saw everything there and we called it The Keith’s. It was magnificent then and I am sick to think that it met so ignoble an end. That lobby rivaled anything Disney could even contemplate for a Great Movie Ride! How sad.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on September 14, 2004 at 12:15 pm

Several life-long New Yorkers I knew in the 80s called it ‘da Keets'
never mentioning Flushing, and everyone knew what they were talking about.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 14, 2004 at 11:25 am

The Keith-Albee Flushing opened a week after Proctor’s 58th Street in Manhattan. Both were designed by Thomas Lamb, and became the only RKO theatres in the Greater New York area in the “atmospheric” style.

Bway
Bway on September 14, 2004 at 10:56 am

That was also probably as to not to get it confused with the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill. Many people confuse the two.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 14, 2004 at 10:46 am

To the best of my knowledge, this was never known as “Keith’s Theatre.” When it first opened in December, 1928, it was the Keith-Albee Flushing Theatre. When Keith-Albee theatres were absorbed into RKO Theatres, the name was changed to RKO-Keith’s Flushing. Informally, regular patrons usually called it RKO Keith’s, or Keith’s Flushing.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 14, 2004 at 10:23 am

Thanks, Warren, for the nicely researched double-bills. Yes, ‘52 was a flop. I’m shocked to realize that I’d seen only two of those billings day-dating at my local nabe (RKO Dyker)that year, even though memory has tricked me into thinking that as a movie-mad ten-year-old I went to the Dyker nearly every week. (I did see six of those features at other theaters, however, some first-run in Manhattan, others third- or subsequent-run in B'klyn.) One downside of seeing films first-run in Manhattan was missing some curious co-features that have meanwhile achieved cult-status: “Rancho Notorious,” “Three for Bedroom C,” “The Thief,” “Beware My Lovely.” One surprise is the reversal of status that sometimes happened in double-billing: that year, “Wait till the Sun Shines Nellie” was a prestige opener at the Roxy (with an ice show on stage!), while “Don’t Bother to Knock” snuck into the Globe: then Monroe became a sensation, so that “Don’t Bother” (deservingly)got top billing when it reached the boroughs. And what a sad end to Irene Dunne’s fame to go out on a second-billing in “It Grows on Trees.” For the record, the two programs that I saw at RKO were “Les Mis” & “Wife’s Best Friend” on a chilly, rainy autumn day (late in the year, implying that I hadn’t been in that theater for at least ten months!) and “Snows of Kilimanjaro” & “Raiders,” which I recall as the Christmas-week show (and remember darkly for having eaten popcorn, the first time ever, which made me sick later that evening—uugh). I’m sure that I saw many, many more films at the Loew’s circuit that year. For RKO, yes, '52 was a bummer.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 9, 2004 at 1:44 pm

These are some of the programs that were shown at Keith’s Flushing in 1952, the last year that I ever attended the theatre:
“The Racket” & “Behave Yourself"
"Fixed Bayonets” & “Let’s Make It Legal"
"Come Fill The Cup” & “Bride of the Gorilla"
"Golden Girl” & “The Lady Pays Off"
"Anne of the Indies” & “Assassin For Hire"
"I’ll See You In My Dreams” & “The Tanks Are Coming"
"Double Dynamite” & “Slaughter Trail"
"Decision Before Dawn” & “Love Nest"
"The Model and the Marriage Broker” & “Journey Into Light"
"I Want You” & “St. Benny, The Dip"
"Room For One More” & “On Dangerous Ground"
"Five Fingers” & “Return of the Texan"
"Viva Zapata” & “Close To My Heart"
"Bright Victory” & “Weekend With Father"
"Deadline USA” & “Japanese War Bride"
"This Woman Is Dangerous” & “Bugles in the Afternoon"
"With A Song In My Heart” & “Hoodlum Empire"
"Bend of the River” & “Meet Danny Wilson"
"Belles On Their Toes” & “Loan Shark"
"Kangaroo” & “No Room For The Groom"
"Lydia Bailey” & “Models, Inc."
"Diplomatic Courier” & “Outcasts of Poker Flat"
"The Winning Team” & “3 For Bedroom C"
"Jack and The Beanstalk” & “San Francisco Story"
"We’re Not Married” & “Rancho Notorious"
"She’s Working Her Way Through College” & “Carson City"
"Don’t Bother To Knock” & “Wait Till The Sun Shines, Nellie"
"The Story of Robin Hood” & “Half Breed"
"Dreamboat” & “The Lady in the Iron Mask"
"What Price Glory?” & “Has Anybody Seen My Gal?"
"Where’s Charley?” & “Beware My Lovely"
"Monkey Business” & “Night Without Sleep"
"The Crimson Pirate” & “Sally and St. Ann"
"The Big Sky” & “Captain Blackjack"
"Les Miserables” & “My Wife’s Best Friend"
"One Minute to Zero” & “Lost in Alaska"
"Big Jim McLain” & “The Thief"
"The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima” & “The Rose Bowl Story"
"The Lusty Men” & “Battle Zone"
"Bloodhounds of Broadway” & “Toughest Man in Arizona"
"The Iron Mistress” & “It Grows on Trees"
"The Snows of Kilimanjaro” & “The Raiders"
It should be noted that in those days, the RKO Circuit played mainly Warner Bros., 20th Fox, RKO, Buena Vista, and Universal releases, and never MGM, Paramount, or other companies that had exclusives with the Loew’s Circuit. Also, 1952 was a low-quality year for Hollywood product, which is probably why most of the movies I mentioned are forgotten today.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 9, 2004 at 12:26 pm

Read this article about the man that let this theater deteriorate.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 3, 2004 at 8:42 am

Somewhere recently, I saw it mentioned that the fountain that was once the centerpiece of the grand lobby is now believed to be in a restaurant in Greenwich Village. Does anyone know the name of that restaurant? I’d like to go there to check. I saw the fountain many times and would recognize it instantly. The restaurant would have to be fairly large to accommodate it.

cb229
cb229 on August 26, 2004 at 5:55 pm

I have searched high and low for photos, but there isnt
much available, as the theater was locked up for so many years.
Here is a two page article about the current state of
the theater with info. about the upcoming changes.It also
has a small picture of the lobby.
The auditorium is going to be demolished as it is in horrendous
condition.The moron who owned it for almost twenty years
tore out a crucial wall, leaving the theater partially exposed
to the elements, thus the massive destruction.The lobby and mezzanine will be saved an incorporated into RKO Plaza which is
scheduled for completion in 2006.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 24, 2004 at 10:32 pm

CINEPLEX was the company that saved the movie bsns in N.Y. and many other places.Not until CINEPLEX ODEON come along was anyone restoring or putting any money into theaters.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 24, 2004 at 10:10 pm

The RKO-CW people sold this theatre just days before they sold the rest of the company to Cineplex. When The Grand Pooh-bah of Cineplex found out he went to the guy who bought it and offered him the sun, the moon and the stars to buy it back, but was refused. While I generally view Cineplex and The Grand Pooh-bah with contempt for ruining so many decent theatres New York, I will admit that on these big old palaces they did do a decent job of restoration [e.g. the lobby of the Loew’s Met in Brooklyn]. This would have been one that I would have been glad to see him take over.

It’s a shame that the slimeball who let the Keith’s deteriorate wasn’t jailed years ago for his disregard of the landmarks law. And the City of New York is culpable for letting him get away with it. The City could have declared eminant domain and bought it from this guy and sell it to someone committed to restoration, like Cineplex.

Bway
Bway on August 24, 2004 at 6:01 pm

Much has been talked about here about the lobby of the Keith’s. Any word on what the main auditorium’s condition is in? From what I gather it’s not that great of condition, maybe even totally trashed. Does anything remain of the walls or ceiling, or anything? I would love to see photos of the Keith’s both in it’s heyday or current shambles, anyone know of any available on the net?

sticky
sticky on August 23, 2004 at 10:42 am

I rememmber attending my first Rock n Roll show at the Flushing RKO. It was emceed by Murray the K deejay from 1010 WINS. The show featured Wicked Wilson Pickett and introduced two new bands from England, Cream and The Who. I remember Pickett strutting up the aisles with his mike cable trailing behind singing “Funky Broadway” and “Midnight Hour”. Cream and the Who did only a couple of numbers and were LOUD and raw but pumped up the crowd.

shalow
shalow on July 15, 2004 at 4:03 pm

I remember going to the rock and roll shows at the Keiths. What a great memory and theater. Going to a show was truly and event.

trapdoor
trapdoor on June 30, 2004 at 8:32 pm

The Keiths continues to stand tall and proud at the juncture
of Main and Northern.However,
its in absolute shambles at this point.The theater
portion of the building is in total disrepair and is
going to be torn down by Boymelgreen Developers to make
way for residential building and some retail.The lobby
is in bad shape but restoreable.It has landmark status
and will be restored to its original glory.It will be
incorporated into the new structure.It is a very slow process
as Boymelgreen is working with community officials to
come up with the best possible plan for the site.The last plan
was rejected due to its size and scale.Here is good story on the
condition of the lobby.Although its been bruised and battered
by years of neglect and deliberate actions by the former owner of the property,it is in suprisingly good shape.Here’s the article:

FrankCastle
FrankCastle on May 17, 2004 at 4:22 pm

The idiot who destroyed the interior of that theatre should be hung on main street! What a disaster. That place should have been preserved with landmark status and made into a museum. What a great place to watch a movie. Of course most of the people who live there now weren’t around, probably not even in this COUNTRY, when it was open. What a sad, sad outcome for such a glorious palace…

exny1
exny1 on May 16, 2004 at 11:45 am

thanks Warren, your right, it was Pitkin, on Pitkin Ave.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 16, 2004 at 7:10 am

The Brooklyn theatre that your mother remembered was almost certainly Loew’s Pitkin, which had the same architect as Keith’s Flushing in Thomas W. Lamb. Both theatres were in the “atmospheric” style. The clouds that seemed to be moving across the ceiling came from projectors on the side walls of the balcony.

exny1
exny1 on May 15, 2004 at 8:14 pm

I was there many many times, it was a beautiful theater. When I was a kid, 50’s 60’s, during intermission the sky would actually move, or atleast look liked it moved. Years later, it had stopped and the theater owner told me it was in need of repair. My mom told me there was a theater in brooklyn, long since closed that did the same thing. I think it was the Pickford ave?? Not sure, anyway, the Fluching Keith’s was and still is the best theater I have ever been in.

mgeesgirl
mgeesgirl on April 19, 2004 at 4:03 pm

the last time i was there – was to see the movie “popeye” with robin williams…

mgeesgirl
mgeesgirl on April 19, 2004 at 4:02 pm

are there any pictures of the inside of the keiths??? i was young and the last movie was “popeye” and i don’t really remember much.. just that it was grand…

avkarr
avkarr on March 21, 2004 at 4:05 pm

There was a building to the immmediate W with a facade that was shaped in the letter D – it was for the Deborah foundation (a group founded to fight TB). They ran Bingo and Adult Dances, presumably to raise funds. I thought there was a clinic there too but it wasnt a hospital per se. The closest hospital was Parsons Hospital.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 21, 2004 at 7:39 am

What hospital was next door to the Keith’s Flushing? I recall only retail stores on both sides of the entrance and throughout the rest of the block.

avkarr
avkarr on March 20, 2004 at 7:20 pm

It was the biggest & best theatre in downtown Flushing. I saw many
1st run films of every genre and the size just amplified the
laughs/screams of the patrons. Remeber seeing LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, THE FRONT, WILLIE WONKA to name a few. Also Mel Brooks' SILENT MOVIE in the right hand side orchestra section, to this day was the only comedy I have ever seen jaded, too-cool NYers go bananas laughing over. Chester37a is correct, RUNNING SCARED was the last flick shown there (which I also saw, there)-I used to drive my Mom to Bingo at the hospital next door and for years the posters hung in the displays.The story of the Keith’s is the story of Flushing, change happened but not necessarily for the better.