Loew's Jersey Theatre

54 Journal Square,
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Showing 1,351 - 1,375 of 1,417 comments

Vito
Vito on October 5, 2004 at 4:08 am

Bob, will you please tell us what type of projection you installed?
two projectors or platter. Sound system.

mdit99
mdit99 on October 5, 2004 at 1:28 am

Anyone know what happened to Tom Pedler, The only man that was employed by the Theatre to do much of the behind the scenes work, like plumbing and electrical? I spoke to him on a few occasions and he really knew his stuff.

RobertR
RobertR on October 3, 2004 at 6:53 pm

Are any more movie events planned? It would have been fun to do something for Halloween. It could have coincided with that big horror & sci-fi show they hold every year in Secaucus.

theatrefan
theatrefan on October 3, 2004 at 11:38 am

I was there Tuesday the 29th and I feel I really feel quite privileged to have been there for the 75th Anniversary celebration and to have been in such magnificent movie palace surroundings. It was a night to remember! I really do hope the friends of the Loews succeed with the battle over the theatres lease issue.

RobertR
RobertR on October 3, 2004 at 6:58 am

Is anyone going today to see Superman?

RobertR
RobertR on October 2, 2004 at 10:14 am

Orlando
I will look for you by the left staircase. I will have on a Navy Blue US Open Jacket.

RobertR
RobertR on October 1, 2004 at 7:23 am

The other thing that will disapear is the name Loews off the marquee. It’s strange but when Cineplex took over the 59th Street East from City Cinemas they told the owner they wanted the name D.W. Griffith changed because they felt they did not have the legal right to use it. The original owner Nick Justin gaver it that name when they ran that year long festival.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on October 1, 2004 at 7:12 am

Orlando, my last film event at the Jersey was the Frankenstein weekend.

It is truly a magnificent theater, and I’m very pleased with the role my early film events played in helping to save it. The science-fiction weekends; classic horror; Abbott and Costello; Sherlock Holmes; Laurel and Hardy; dye-transfer archival Technicolor prints and Perspecta Stereo sound are all contributions to the Jersey of which I’m quite proud. I secured loans of extremely rare 35mm materials, including vintage trailers, shorts, cartoons and production shorts. I even located one-of-a kind kinescopes for some of the comedy events!

When I began, the projection booth was stripped of equipment and was occupied by pigeons. After years of hard work by my friends Bob Eberenz, Steve Levy and myself, the booth is now fully equipped for classic film presentation. Bob and Steve secured donations of all the equipment, and their contributions to this project are immeasurable.

I’ll only say that FOL’s concept of presentation for film began to differ greatly from mine. After ten volunteer years, and bringing in the theaters most successful events, it was time to move on.

I wish them all the best, and hope they can move this project forward and get the theater fully restored and operational. We proved that classic film is a viable entity for the movie palace format, and I hope that it will continue.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on September 30, 2004 at 4:58 pm

This whole thing might make a good story for NPR (national public radio). Maybe that will help FOL a bit, perhaps….

Orlando
Orlando on September 30, 2004 at 3:01 pm

I plan to attend SPARTACUS this Saturday, having attended the 75th anniversary Tuesday. I have a feeling that “classic movies” will cease after Sunday’s showing of SUPERMAN as to not enrage current fans of the movies and the THEATRE. Then, (I’m assuming)the transfer of the theatre will leave FOL on the street after their hard work. I was unaware an acting mayor (for how long?) had so much clout. However I was encouraged by all the “politicos” who addressed the audience on Tuesday and hope they stand by their word. Even though the movie started ½ hour late, it was necessary to let the people know what is going on. Loved the MGM Tom & Jerry cartoon “Cruise Cat” which preceded MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON.
(P.S. Bob, did you have a falling out with FOL?)
(P.S. RobertR, maybe I’ll meet you Saturday night for SPARTACUS in the lobby by the left staircase or in row LL center orchestra, right side)

RobertR
RobertR on September 29, 2004 at 6:19 pm

What a slap in the face for all the people that gave of their time for the love of the theatre. I fear in the hands of the city there will be no more classic movie nights.

MarkW
MarkW on September 29, 2004 at 3:54 pm

On the day of the 75th, Mayor Smith announced that title of the Loew’s was being given to the city’s redevelopment corporation. My feelings are anger and more anger. The FOL has put so much into the theatre. It was also announced that they will have a mayoral debate at the Loew’s. I suggest that people attend and make it known that the FOL deserves a lease.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 29, 2004 at 11:12 am

I developed the classic film programming concept at the Loew’s Jersey, and had always hoped for the opportunity to bring back many of the great MGM titles. The 75th anniversary would have been the perfect time to show the films mentioned above. I have unique access to rare, archival 35mm dye-transfer Technicolor prints, and they would look great with the Jersey’s carbon arc projection capabilities.

However, I am no longer involved with this project. Hopefully, the new group working on film events will take some of these suggestions under consideration in their future programming.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 29, 2004 at 10:28 am

Yes GWTW would look great there. I would love to see them do a lot more MGM technicolor films.

RobertR
RobertR on September 29, 2004 at 8:35 am

I am coming this weekend to see Spartacus. I would LOVE to see Gone With The Wind or Dr Zhivago here, two of MGM’s best.

DougDouglass
DougDouglass on September 29, 2004 at 8:09 am

It was hoped that at the 75th Anniversary celebration, Acting Mayor L. Harvey Smith would announce he’s signed the lease over FOL. It could assure his election to the job. Anyone attend the event?

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on September 24, 2004 at 10:36 am

Does anyone know when the former Loew’s Paradise Wonder Morton theater organ, which was moved into the Jersey some 7 years ago will be up and running? It would be great to have some organ concerts to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the theater.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 24, 2004 at 9:23 am

It would have been nice to have some MGM during the anniversary weekend however I wonder what size audiences it would have attracted. It seems as though the type of escapist films that MGM specialized is very much out of fashion and the few people interested in them are content to subscribe to TCM. Unfortunately it is also the type of film that exalt these grand theaters and show them off to their best(I mean they were literally made for them.) But today how many pople are going to go out of their way to see Marie Antoinette, Meet Me in St Louis or Mutiny on the Bounty?(I’d like to think I’m wrong as I love these films.)

MarkW
MarkW on September 19, 2004 at 6:37 pm

I’ll be there!

ocullenpete
ocullenpete on September 19, 2004 at 5:48 pm

THE LOEWS JERSEY WILL BE SHOWING"MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON" ON 9-28-04 AT 7:45PM. ITS THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY ANNIVERSARY OF ITS OPENING IN 1929.A SHORT COMMEMERATIVE PROGRAM WILL BE HELD PRIOR TO THE MOVIE.TICKETS WILL BE THIRTY-FIVE CENTS WHICH WAS THE PRICE OF ADMISSION IN 1929 WHEN THE LOEWS JERSEY OPENED ! PETE CULLEN

ocullenpete
ocullenpete on September 12, 2004 at 4:56 pm

THE LOEWS JERSEY WILL BE SEVENTY FIVE YEARS OLD ON SEPT.28,2004.IT OPENED ONE MONTH BEFORE THE STOCK MARKET CRASHED IN 1929.

William
William on July 29, 2004 at 2:20 pm

I’ve only had the chance to see one event there. I hope their next series of films will be a good series.

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 29, 2004 at 1:26 pm

Thanks William, this theatre will be celebrating it’s 75th Birthday in September, wonder what will be planned?

William
William on July 29, 2004 at 1:10 pm

No this theatre was and is only 35mm equipped.

theatrefan
theatrefan on July 29, 2004 at 12:06 pm

Does anyone out there know is this theatre set up to do 70mm?