Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1,401 - 1,425 of 1,474 comments

RobertR on November 16, 2004 at 8:13 pm

Does anyone know the steps the friends of Loews in Jersey City took?

JimRankin on November 16, 2004 at 3:53 pm

I have to applaud Mr. Faulkner who is working from London, England to advocate an American theatre that too few of us prize. Yes, we have a great many lavish movie palaces remaining, and when the day come that CT will once again accept photos, we will no doubt see the reason that so many more deserve preservation, but for now it seems that the truly BIG projects such as the KINGS or the UPTOWN in Chicago are going to fade away until the point come that taxpayers must pay the millions it will take to clear the eventually dangerous crumbling buildings from any access to vagrants and children who find such hulks irresistible. There is another fabulous Rapp & Rapp theatre sitting in Milwaukee, dark and moldering and it too deserves restoration and reuse. But where will all the money come from? These are financially tight times with wars to pay for and tragic social causes of higher priority. Some ‘angels’ have come along for some theatres, such as the STANFORD in Palo Alto, Calif., and the PABST in Milwaukee, but such ‘sugar daddies’ are rare and getting rarer. Local publicity groups can sometimes help, but one should not break his own heart by deluding himself that an outside group with no real funds can do more than talk. After all, Proposition L to save the theatres of San Francisco, was just defeated at the polls amid speculation rife with doubt as to accountability —and that initiative did not involve any increase in taxes! ( What hope is there for the KINGS if one would suggest it become a public facility to be restored by, adapted by, and operated by public taxes? As the old saying goes: ‘Wishing isn’t getting.’ Mr. Faulkner is to be admired, but will any locals with dollars step forward to make it a privately-funded reality? We can only hope.

porterfaulkner on November 16, 2004 at 3:17 pm

RobertR et al, I have submitted a description for this most magnificent ‘Wonder’ theatre with the help of THSA documents and David Naylor’s books. Also attached a personal photo taken in the 1990’s, can’t believe it hasn’t been done before now.

Come on guys, lets do something about the formation of a ‘friends’ group to restore the Kings and halt the decline of this truly unique treasure.

R143 on November 15, 2004 at 11:35 am

It’s a shame that this once beautiful theatre is now falling apart.

Bway on November 15, 2004 at 5:24 am

Barbra is not the only combinations of bars and bras I have seen…
Uh oh…back to the movies. Hey, we got to have some fun here too…

uncleal923 on November 14, 2004 at 8:02 pm

Hello Again;
I decided to keep you all updated on the search for the guy who wants to restore the King’s. He called me, but my mother got the message. I left a message with him, and hopefully he will return it.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2004 at 8:18 am

The answer is Barbara Streisand.

williamrorex on November 14, 2004 at 7:59 am

Hi guys. I am not from New York, but need to answer a trivia question about the Lowes Kings Theatre. Does anyone know which mega star once ushered there. Was it Ben Stiller (probably to young), Robert DeNiro or Barbara Streisand

Bway on November 11, 2004 at 9:36 am

Robert, I don’t know too much about this theater otherwise i would do it, but maybe if you write a little intro for it, and email to cinematreasures and they could put it in the intro section.

RobertR on November 9, 2004 at 8:26 pm

Could we please add an introduction to one of the most important of all NY theatres

Ziggy on November 9, 2004 at 4:20 pm

If anyone’s interested, there is a print of “Memoirs of a Movie Palace”, a pictorial history, on film, of the Loew’s Kings, currently up on ebay. It is auction number 6338606957.

Divinity on October 25, 2004 at 10:04 pm

If a preservation group is started please keep us posted. I would love to make a contribution and I am sure that others would as well.
Remember that New York City has a great deal of resources that just need to be tapped into. If this is a commercial infill site, adjacent retail space can be used to generate income and the buisness would get tax incentives. I am sure that with good marketing the people of NYC would love to support this palacial structure. This is the last of the five wonder theaters that is not being developed into some type of venue. Such an edifice should be preserved, especially with the demise of American architecture these days.
Dont let them trample on the divine!

uncleal923 on October 25, 2004 at 9:18 pm

According to the article mentioned above a person named Bruce Friedman, who has a cable access show in Brooklyn wants to do so. I sent an E-Mail to the channel, and maybe I will receive a reply.

I was never to the Loew’s Jersey, I live on Long Island. Did anyone ever hear about the Patchogue Theater for the Performing Arts. It’s smaller than the Kings, but it’s a vaudeville house that was built in the 1920s, and holds concerts. I once ushered there until they decided to let me go. I should have some idea what they can do with these old houses.

RobertR on October 25, 2004 at 9:09 pm

I would love to be involved with a group to save this like the group did for the Loews Jersey City.

Mike326 on October 25, 2004 at 9:07 pm

It makes me sad every time I drive or walk by the Kings. I can
still see the beautifully lit marquee with the moving white lights,and of course the mesmerizing LOEW’S sign which would spell
out each letter in dazzling neon.
Does anybody know anything as to what is happening?

uncleal923 on October 25, 2004 at 8:37 pm

As it turns out I am looking for that Friends of the Kings Organization from that posting by Gena2. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them.

uncleal923 on October 24, 2004 at 10:35 pm

I read the afformentioned article in the Brooklyn Skyline. This Long Islander who originally hailed from Brooklyn would like to know how to get in touch with the group that plans to restore/renovate the Loew’s Kings. Maybe concerts and legitimate theater can be presented there. I also remember when people pronounced it Low-wheeze. However, I am a returning college student and theater major so maybe I can help somehow. I am serious though I like to put some humor in what I write for the internet. I pronounced it Low-wheeze when I was.

JimRankin on October 20, 2004 at 2:26 pm

A previous comment mentioned the present day photos of the KINGS as taken and posted by this French member of the Theatre Historical Soc.’s tour last year: and part of the site is also in English, though the photos speak the international language.

AS to why there is no description. That is probably because CT staffer William Gabel, who originally entered the theatre into their data base, did not submit a description/history at that time. Perhaps it was not a house that he was personally familiar with; perhaps he had no adequate resources available from which to bring together a description of merit; or perhaps he did not have sufficiently recent information to round out an article that would reflect the venue today as opposed to only yesterday. In any case, writing a complete and accurate description is not as easy as it appears in that the writer must strike a balance between a tract and a monograph. While CT does allow “unlimited” text in that area, one must still have a balance of information available, a sufficient knowledge of the genre to put the location in perspective, and current information to make the article timely and valuable to those wanting to know status and the possibility of a tour. While I love the works of Rapp & Rapp and especially the KINGS (one of my ‘Favorites’), I do not live in NYC and have never been in the KINGS, and while photos of it do make me want to know more and to appreciate what was, they are not enough with which to write a decent article, since this grandiose palace deserves much, much more than a mere verbal sketch.
Will CT accept a submitted Description/History at this point? You will have to get their reaction as their time permits. (You cannot use the Add-A-Theatre form, due to the fact that the theatre already exists here.)

R143 on October 20, 2004 at 1:59 pm

I also saw that commercial. Recently many music videos are also using the interior of these old gems too.
ANd of course the exteriors are used in countless films and shows as a backdrop. There is much more substance in an old theater either in shambles or in good condtion depending on what look or feel to the scene they are looking for, than a multiplex.

As for the Kings, what is the current condition? Any update or photos available of it currently?

And to comment on someone’s comment above from March, why is there no description for this theater? How do we edit that part. This theater deserves a description in it’s opening paragraph.

BobFurmanek on October 20, 2004 at 1:54 pm

In many ways, the art of movie exhibition has come full circle. Architecturally, we’re back to the tiny shoebox style nickelodeons.

JimRankin on October 20, 2004 at 1:50 pm

It is ironic indeed, considering how they were dismissed years ago as old, musty, and outmoded, yet today the movie palaces that remain are often the most imaginative and artistic structures remaining in our cities. The irony is that we seek to preserve on film what we so seldom seek to preserve in life as living art works as well as memorials to our past. Of course, it is, as always, a matter of money and keeping something alive today that was intended to have thousands pay to enter it each day, is a Herculean task with few having the deep pockets needed to do the job. In the new book “Cinema Treasures” the authors make the observation that using such palaces as the LOS ANGELES has become a cottage industry for many such, and is often all that stands between them and the wrecking ball. A few multiplexes, such as the COLUSUS in Toronto are so large and elaborate as to almost be movie settings themselves, but such multiplexes are in the minority, and we are more and more left to notice the painful contrast between the opulent palaces of yesteryear and the spare and uninspired screening rooms of today.

br91975 on October 20, 2004 at 8:23 am

While watching last night’s Yankees-Red Sox ALCS Game Six, I saw the new spot for the Nissan Altima, which features a brief exterior glimpse of the shuttered Olympic Theatre in downtown LA, and had a thought: isn’t it ironic how, in current advertisements, films, and television programs, it’s the old single-screen houses and movie palaces – the most-endangered of movie theatres – which are used far more often as a shooting location than the modern-day multi- and mega-plexes?

Divinity on October 20, 2004 at 7:59 am

I for one would have no problem visiting Flatbush. I lived through the 80’s in this city and it never kept me from going to the theater on Times Square. Those were the days when shootings and muggings were frequent. One had to walk around clusters of prostitutes, pimps and other unsavory individuals back then. Yet people kept visiting and Times Square is alive and well today.

jflundy on October 20, 2004 at 1:08 am is the URL for the THSA archieve. It holds the Loews, Inc. collection of photographs. They can supply you at a price prints of any Loews house from various periods pre dating the 1960’s.

uncleal923 on October 19, 2004 at 10:30 pm

Does anyone know of any bitmapable (Is that a word?) images of the Loews Kings in its heyday?