Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1,401 - 1,425 of 1,556 comments

Divinity
Divinity on December 7, 2004 at 1:43 pm

Movie Place,
What is your store called? And where is it located?

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 7, 2004 at 9:24 am

Now that Barbra has another concert tour planned for the summer maybe she should kick it off at the Kings. And if it’s with Neil Daimond isn’t he from NY as well? Now I know this can only happen in our dreams(these people insist that the logistics of these things be overwhelming and arcane) but it sure is a hell of an idea.

Movieplace
Movieplace on December 7, 2004 at 9:10 am

Dear Bruce 1,

what cable system and what channel does your show appear on? I would love to see your shows about the Kings. I have RCN in Manhattan, so if your show is on anything related to Time Warner I won’t get it. I have been trying to get a copy of the documentary about the Kings Memoirs of a Movie Palace. Ziggy said there was one for sale on ebay but I could not find it. I own a video store in Manhattan and I would transfer the VHS of this film to DVD and loan it out free to my customers. I would also make it available to T.H.S.O.A. members as well as Cinema treasures.org members. I saw this film years ago and have been trying to get it for now 20 years.
I will be doing a photo exhibit in my store called “movie theatres of the Upper Westside” very soon. I have some great and not so great pictures from the municipal archives of theatres long and not so long gone. But all missed.

Movie Place NYC

Divinity
Divinity on December 6, 2004 at 8:32 pm

(LOL)!Of Course we will Alan. :)

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 6, 2004 at 8:22 pm

Would you all please forget I put my name there

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 6, 2004 at 8:20 pm

Bruce 1;
Have you had any volunteers from any Long Island Colleges yet?
Sincerely
Alan G. Wasenius

fbarlam
fbarlam on December 3, 2004 at 10:34 pm

My graduation from Lafayette High School in 1966 was held at the Loew’s Kings which never made much sense to me being that Lafayette is in Bensonhurst. But for some reason, many high schools in Brooklyn had their graduation there. Interesting though, my wife’s graduation in 1968 from Erasmus Hall High School, which is right down the street, was not held there, but rather on the school campus.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on December 3, 2004 at 8:46 pm

The Loew’s Kings has been closed since 1979 and at the present time, the NYC Economic Development Corporation will allow no visitors. They will issue an RFP (Request For Proposal) very shortly. Most recently, they authorized an asbestos-lead abatement study and were most happy to learn that this was not a problem!

As far as working electric, there’s enough for illumination but it could hardly be described as complete. The building has not been heated for years and it is colder inside than outside!! So it doesn’t matter what time of year, it’s still cold inside!

I do a weekly Cable TV show and have done several episodes about and inside the Loew’s Kings. Along with interior footage, I have interviewed restoration specialists, theatrical producers, etc. I am very glad that my enthusiasm is shared by so many of you and hope that our collective effort will eventually get this place restored and reopened as a Center for the performing arts.

As far as the Loew’s Paradise, I have taken an extensive tour and found the theater ready for use and that was a year ago! Unfortunately, the operator spent all that money and then lost his lease. Since then, really nothing has progressed.

Divinity
Divinity on December 2, 2004 at 10:45 pm

How wonderful that you have wings to fly us around Warren.
However I think that it is more interesting to travel as worldly and sophicisticated pedestrians rather than being crampped up in a tourbus like a bunch of gawking tourists. There may be wonderful suprises that will come up as we wander through the city.

Who will provide our transportation?

Divinity
Divinity on December 2, 2004 at 10:32 pm

Saps,
I am sure that there are taxis near the subway and public busses as you mentioned. It seems ideal.

Exactly how many blocks is the theatre from the subway?

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on December 2, 2004 at 8:09 am

For the record, Cinema Treasures harbors no “ill will” towards the Theatre Historical Society of America whatsoever and heartily suggests any researcher, historian, or enthusiast contact them for any projects, etc.

By the way, another tremendous resource is the B'hend and Kaufmann collection at the Margaret Herrick Library (part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences) in Beverly Hills.

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 2, 2004 at 6:21 am

I know that the Theatre Historical Soc. has a number of photos from opening day as well as later years; you would do well to ask them via their E-mail of the Ex. Director given on the bottom of their front page at: www.HistoricTheatres.org (DO NOT mention Cinema Treasures since there is some ill will at present, it appears. Don’t ask me why or how; I only perceive this and could be wrong.)

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 1, 2004 at 9:23 pm

I was from Brooklyn and I think this place is in the middle of nowhere, unless you are taking the bus or driving. The nearest subway lines are several blocks awaw, either on East 16th Street or on Nostrand Avenue; no subway line runs along that part of Flatbush Avenue. So unless you’re really devoted it could be a chore to get there.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on December 1, 2004 at 8:35 pm

The Unofficial New York Nostalgia Buff Webpage may be placing a page on the site where people can help the Kings reopen. The address of the site is http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/awaseniu The site is already online. The author, Alan G. Wasenius, first has to check to see if he has enough webspace. He is not a Computer Major at SUNY Stony Brook, but a Theater Major. He will be checking with the head of the organization trying to ensure accuracy. He would appreciate it if any of you can tell him where there are any public domain/ fair use photographs of the Kings in its 1960s prime.

RobertR
RobertR on December 1, 2004 at 10:55 am

Warren

Does the Kings still have electric service? I was only in the theatre one time to see “The Way We Were” and would love to see it again.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 1, 2004 at 10:42 am

I’m sure the nice folks at Loew’s Jersey would welcome a volunteer crew with open arms! Just bring some work clothes, and they’ll let you visit any area of the theater. They’re very receptive to anybody that wants to do volunteer work for them.

Divinity
Divinity on December 1, 2004 at 10:37 am

The owners of the paradise will not allow official tours until construction is complete. It is still a hard hat area. From what I saw last month, the interior should take no more than six to eight months for it to be safe.
I would love to tour the kings (Great idea Vincent!).
Perhaps we can wait until construction is done with at the paradise so that we can tour all five wonder theatres. We can schedule it on a weekend that Loews Jersey is presenting a film so that we can enjoy a film in an operating movie palace after the tour. If we arrive early we can get a tour of the Stanley Theatre across the street.
I dont think that we will need a bus since all theatres are accessible by mass transit.

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 1, 2004 at 10:23 am

If no one else steps forward, one might ask the NYC area Director of the THEATRE HISTORICAL SOC., Joe Masher, via his E-mail at:

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 1, 2004 at 10:12 am

Well how about setting up some kind of NY borough movie palace mini tour allowing a group of us some weekend day a visit to the Paramount the Kings and the Paradise? This would obviously involve a lot of planning and a fee but with a bus and the proper permits and insurance I think those of us New Yorkers who regularly visit this site would greatly appreciate a visit to some of the most beautiful buildings that still exist in the tri-state area. And who knows how much longer we will have this chance before they join the rubble of the Roxy?

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 1, 2004 at 9:31 am

A side note to any ‘intrepid’ folks who are confident taht they can gain entry to any place, with or without permission: Entry to any place without the owners' permission is ILLEGAL, and even if an owner discovers you there and does not prosecute for malicious trespass, you cannot KNOW what will await you once inside. There may be two or four legged creatures that will confront you, and what will be your defense or path of escape? Even if the lights do work, where are the switches located, and if you do turn them on, you have used the owners' power at their expense, which can be prosecuted as theft even if no other damage is done. And if something should fall upon you, who will know to rescue you? Be eager, but be practical; get permission and an escort from the owners!

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 1, 2004 at 6:27 am

How does one get to the Kings from Manhattan and can one go inside at any point during the weekend?

Divinity
Divinity on December 1, 2004 at 12:15 am

Will the friends of the kings be creating a website?

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 29, 2004 at 8:23 pm

I also thought of the Home Depot possibly sponsoring the project because they can work with the specialists as well as show the people how to handle the repairs. Another possibility would be an engineering college.

As a major in theater, I would like to see it as a performance space. Radio City Music Hall is Successful, so the Kings can be.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 29, 2004 at 8:19 pm

It’s about time I chimed in on this discussion now. Before anyone decides to start a not for profit then they have to consult a lawyer. You have to be registered in the State of New York. I remember this from a paralegal course I took in 1991.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on November 29, 2004 at 7:31 am

To: Jim Rankin
From: Bruce (Save The Kings)
It’s possible that Jehovah’s Witnesses did survey the Loew’s Kings before taking over the Albermale or redoing the Stanley. However, the Stanley is over 5,000 seats, while Loews
Kings was originally 3,692 but was later reduced to 3,192 for more comfortable seating. However, you’re suggestion about asking JW, if they did a site survey and if they have photographs or documents is clever! Or what problems they faced even as a tax exempt organization…

If members of cinematreasures wanted to start our own tax exempt organization and answer the RFP, coming soon… then maybe, we could garner enough free labor volunteers, etc. etc. and try to Save The Kings as a Center for the Performing Arts. In some ways learning from the experience of JW and also the Loew’s Jersey team.

By the way, such an idea has been suggested to me in the past by the Loew’s Kings Project Mgrs of the NYC Economic Development Corporation. However, I thought that this idea was just tooo hard to put into practice. However, maybe it is possible? Especially since Borough President – Marty Markowitz very much wants to see a comeback of the Kings as a Center for the Arts!!

Theater restoration specialists have their facilities in Brooklyn and possibly, they would help to teach our volunteers, the tricks of the trade?

Bruce.