Loew's Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 1,401 - 1,425 of 1,497 comments

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on November 18, 2004 at 6:25 am

CConnolly is right. Pretty soon a major developer will want it for a condo building. Gustave, do we know if she got the message? With so little she can do so much.

chconnol
chconnol on November 18, 2004 at 5:52 am

In my opinion, the area this theater is located (Flatbush) is just at the beginning of a major regentrification (sorry if I didn’t spell that right…). Anyway, it’s a prime area that is being discovered by New Yorkers who cannot affort Manhattan. In ten years time, it’s going to be all new again. If anyone is going to start a restoration of the Kings, they’d better do it quick. I’m telling you, this area is going to be HOT, HOT, HOT. I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90’s. Park Slope was established as a nice area by then. But I’ve been back recently and I’m shocked at how many areas that were once really nasty and slummy are beautiful now. Flatbush is next.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 17, 2004 at 7:55 pm

Sorry Guys, but Miss Streisand has been contacted and, last I heard, she didn’t return the call. They have only a committee started and not the actual restoration.

porterfaulkner
porterfaulkner on November 17, 2004 at 2:47 pm

Vincent, thats not such a strange idea and in fact it could be a stepping stone toward restoration of this jewel.

One of the reasons I think this venue is so neglected is that because of its size and location it has been unseen for nearly 30 years. The locals can’t be passionate about something they have been told is fabulous unless they can see it for themselves.Also to see what it was in the past and can be again via photgraphs of they heyday against what it is now. Viewing it in a poor state can also be a powerful incentive to do something urgently. If there is no interest after exposing the community and local investors to something great in their midst, then at least the ‘Friends’ gave it a chance and failed honorably.

Perhaps Miss Streisand is ‘just the ticket’ to get the ball rolling??!!

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on November 17, 2004 at 2:30 pm

Would Streisand like to spearhead a campaign to save this important piece of Brooklyn history? First some money from other Hollywood Brooklynites to make it usable and then a couple of concerts to support a full scale restoration. I understand she has not retired from charitable concerts. Maybe a parade down Flatbush as well for the hometown girl made good.

Divinity
Divinity on November 17, 2004 at 2:12 pm

The following is a link to the Friends of the Loews website: http://www.loewsjersey.org/ A telephone number as well as information on the aquisition and restoration of the theatre are provided.

RobertR
RobertR on November 16, 2004 at 7:13 pm

Does anyone know the steps the friends of Loews in Jersey City took?

JimRankin
JimRankin on November 16, 2004 at 2:53 pm

I have to applaud Mr. Faulkner who is working from London, England to advocate an American theatre that too few of us prize. Yes, we have a great many lavish movie palaces remaining, and when the day come that CT will once again accept photos, we will no doubt see the reason that so many more deserve preservation, but for now it seems that the truly BIG projects such as the KINGS or the UPTOWN in Chicago are going to fade away until the point come that taxpayers must pay the millions it will take to clear the eventually dangerous crumbling buildings from any access to vagrants and children who find such hulks irresistible. There is another fabulous Rapp & Rapp theatre sitting in Milwaukee, dark and moldering and it too deserves restoration and reuse. But where will all the money come from? These are financially tight times with wars to pay for and tragic social causes of higher priority. Some ‘angels’ have come along for some theatres, such as the STANFORD in Palo Alto, Calif., and the PABST in Milwaukee, but such ‘sugar daddies’ are rare and getting rarer. Local publicity groups can sometimes help, but one should not break his own heart by deluding himself that an outside group with no real funds can do more than talk. After all, Proposition L to save the theatres of San Francisco, was just defeated at the polls amid speculation rife with doubt as to accountability —and that initiative did not involve any increase in taxes! (http://www.noonl.com/) What hope is there for the KINGS if one would suggest it become a public facility to be restored by, adapted by, and operated by public taxes? As the old saying goes: ‘Wishing isn’t getting.’ Mr. Faulkner is to be admired, but will any locals with dollars step forward to make it a privately-funded reality? We can only hope.

porterfaulkner
porterfaulkner on November 16, 2004 at 2:17 pm

RobertR et al, I have submitted a description for this most magnificent ‘Wonder’ theatre with the help of THSA documents and David Naylor’s books. Also attached a personal photo taken in the 1990’s, can’t believe it hasn’t been done before now.

Come on guys, lets do something about the formation of a ‘friends’ group to restore the Kings and halt the decline of this truly unique treasure.

R143
R143 on November 15, 2004 at 10:35 am

It’s a shame that this once beautiful theatre is now falling apart.

Bway
Bway on November 15, 2004 at 4:24 am

Barbra is not the only combinations of bars and bras I have seen…
Uh oh…back to the movies. Hey, we got to have some fun here too…

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 14, 2004 at 7:02 pm

Hello Again;
I decided to keep you all updated on the search for the guy who wants to restore the King’s. He called me, but my mother got the message. I left a message with him, and hopefully he will return it.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 14, 2004 at 7:38 am

It’s Barbra, a combination of bar and bra, not Barbara.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2004 at 7:18 am

Bill:
The answer is Barbara Streisand.

williamrorex
williamrorex on November 14, 2004 at 6:59 am

Hi guys. I am not from New York, but need to answer a trivia question about the Lowes Kings Theatre. Does anyone know which mega star once ushered there. Was it Ben Stiller (probably to young), Robert DeNiro or Barbara Streisand

Bway
Bway on November 11, 2004 at 8:36 am

Robert, I don’t know too much about this theater otherwise i would do it, but maybe if you write a little intro for it, and email to cinematreasures and they could put it in the intro section.

RobertR
RobertR on November 9, 2004 at 7:26 pm

Could we please add an introduction to one of the most important of all NY theatres

Ziggy
Ziggy on November 9, 2004 at 3:20 pm

If anyone’s interested, there is a print of “Memoirs of a Movie Palace”, a pictorial history, on film, of the Loew’s Kings, currently up on ebay. It is auction number 6338606957.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 5, 2004 at 8:33 am

During planning and construction, the theatre was known as Loew’s Tilden, presumably to designate its proximity to Tilden Avenue, named in honor of politician and public benefactor Samuel J. Tilden. The name was changed to Kings only a few months before opening.

Divinity
Divinity on October 25, 2004 at 9:04 pm

If a preservation group is started please keep us posted. I would love to make a contribution and I am sure that others would as well.
Remember that New York City has a great deal of resources that just need to be tapped into. If this is a commercial infill site, adjacent retail space can be used to generate income and the buisness would get tax incentives. I am sure that with good marketing the people of NYC would love to support this palacial structure. This is the last of the five wonder theaters that is not being developed into some type of venue. Such an edifice should be preserved, especially with the demise of American architecture these days.
Dont let them trample on the divine!

uncleal923
uncleal923 on October 25, 2004 at 8:18 pm

According to the article mentioned above a person named Bruce Friedman, who has a cable access show in Brooklyn wants to do so. I sent an E-Mail to the channel, and maybe I will receive a reply.

I was never to the Loew’s Jersey, I live on Long Island. Did anyone ever hear about the Patchogue Theater for the Performing Arts. It’s smaller than the Kings, but it’s a vaudeville house that was built in the 1920s, and holds concerts. I once ushered there until they decided to let me go. I should have some idea what they can do with these old houses.

RobertR
RobertR on October 25, 2004 at 8:09 pm

I would love to be involved with a group to save this like the group did for the Loews Jersey City.

Mike326
Mike326 on October 25, 2004 at 8:07 pm

It makes me sad every time I drive or walk by the Kings. I can
still see the beautifully lit marquee with the moving white lights,and of course the mesmerizing LOEW’S sign which would spell
out each letter in dazzling neon.
Does anybody know anything as to what is happening?

uncleal923
uncleal923 on October 25, 2004 at 7:37 pm

As it turns out I am looking for that Friends of the Kings Organization from that posting by Gena2. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 25, 2004 at 6:43 am

As far as I know, there is no present group planning to restore/renovate the Kings. The property is owned by the City of New York, which has been trying to find someone to take it over, so far without success, probably due to the huge financial costs involved.