St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

Vito
Vito on October 7, 2005 at 5:04 am

The St.George had it’s first movie showing since the restoration.
I was unable to attend, did anyone go to see “Casablanca"
Doreen, can you tell us about it?

Vito
Vito on October 6, 2005 at 4:44 am

Oh yes, I worked for John, (Mr.D) a wonderful gentlemen indeed.
I forgot about the Drive-in, I believe Fabian ran the Liberty as well.

silvrladie
silvrladie on October 6, 2005 at 3:21 am

To saps & vito, Sorry I can’t remember much as I didn’t think 40 years ago I would be recollecting memories. I was offered the managership of this theatre but declined because I was only in my twenties and it would’ve required me to work nights, weekends and holidays, which at that time I wasn’t prepared to do. I do vaguely remember the mgr. of the Paramount a fine Italian gentleman I think his name was DeLiberto? I can remember the Drive-In doing very well when it was open. The Ritz did rather poorly. I can remember we paid out a load of money to ABC Vending company of Long Island City, NY which was in charge of our concession stand. Other than the mgr. most of the employees made very little salaries. Sorry I think thats about it. If I should remember anythingelse I will post it. Bill

Vito
Vito on October 6, 2005 at 1:05 am

Bill, you must be as happy as we all are about the restoration by Mrs Rosemary and her daughters. Thank God for people like them who saved the theatre from a fate simimlar to so many other magnificent theatres, two of the other Fabian theatres, Paramount and Ritz were not as fortunate.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 5, 2005 at 10:59 am

Spill, Bill. What else do you remember? Did you save anything from those days that you can share? Any specific thoughts or stories about the St. George or any other theater in your circuit? We’re waiting!

silvrladie
silvrladie on October 5, 2005 at 10:19 am

Hi, My name is Bill Erbis I was an employee of the Fabian Theatres Circuit. The St. George was one of our more profitable theatres in the 1960’s it was run by Mr. Jack Trachtenberg who was the manager. The other District Mgr. was Mr. Adrian Edelson. Both fine gentlemen.Just thought I’d add a little history…

Vito
Vito on August 27, 2005 at 8:59 am

Nice memories!
I remember well those kiddie matinee Saturdays which were popular when I first started in the theatres. We would have 10 cartoons, a stooge comedy, this weeks exciting chapter of a serial and usually a western feature, the Durango Kid was popular. Then of course the matrons would roam the ailes with their trusty flashlights, keeping order and making sure all the kiddies were in the childrens section.

keionm
keionm on August 8, 2005 at 11:40 am

Dear Doreen,

I’m sorry I never had the opportunity to get involved with the foundational restoration efforts of the glorious St. George. Congratulations on your great efforts. You truly have a Jewel in the St. George. Are you familiar with a play called Love Letters by AR Gurney? This would be an excellent play for a fundraising event should you ever have one. I should know i’m producing it for a theater restoration effort in Charlotte, NC. It is a very simple play to put together since it is just read by 2 celebrities and all you really need is a desk and two chairs.

The play has proven to be a favorite among benefit organizers worldwide because of it’s simplicity. If you need additional info please feel free to email me at

Vito
Vito on June 7, 2005 at 6:14 am

Garth, I have communicated to Doreen my interest in helping in any way I can in the booking, promoting and even the projection ( a city of NY icence is required) of movies. Soon, perhaps in the fall, I hope we will get together and make it happen. I too am so very greatful to Doreen and Rosemary for what they have accomplished.
Talk about sticking with it and making it happen against all odds.
Brava!

RobertR
RobertR on June 6, 2005 at 3:07 pm

The web site announces these two festivals as coming.

Downtown Film Festival September 2005

SIEDC Film Festival June 2006

Garth
Garth on June 6, 2005 at 2:46 pm

took another tour on saturday , the restoration is incredible. does anyone have info on movie nights? if so i’m there….

GregK
GregK on May 27, 2005 at 1:29 pm

Got a chance to play the organ once again at the “Wizard of Oz” production last night…What a thrilling experience to play to a nearly sold out performance. Prayers and best wishes to Mrs. Rosemary and her family as they strive to make this endevor a success as well as establish an excellent asset to the Staten Island community! Keep up the good work!!!

ghamilton
ghamilton on May 22, 2005 at 1:36 pm

I would love to attend anything in this venue.Never seen it,never been to Staten Island.What I see from this site is the blood,sweat and tears,not to mention drama,pain and heartbreak that go into this kind of undertaking.Everybody who cares is nice,but those who put their money,however much,their guts and life into bringing,or keeping life into one of these temples of the human spirit are doing God’s work.They deserve more than just our thanks.There’s some folks down on the Fla Gulf coast that are up to their armpits in aliigators with their project.They could use more than just sympathy.

AnnMarie
AnnMarie on May 19, 2005 at 6:54 am

Thanks so much for the info, so it looks like Staten Island really DOES have splendid grass (!). I’ll keep my eyes open for the classic movie night.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 18, 2005 at 3:27 pm

The St. George website says that a classic movie night is coming soon.

AnnMarie
AnnMarie on May 18, 2005 at 2:00 pm

I’d love to say again “congratulations” and “thank you” to Mrs. Rosemary for her vision and steadfastness with this project. I had the pleasure of touring the space last summer with a group of friends and was thoroughly impressed. I’ve lived in St. George (the neighborhood) for 10 years now and this is about the best thing that has happened for the art community here. I am new to this chat room and was just reading the comments about bringing in classic films. I would love to see some, once in a while, at the St. George. I did not notice anything coming up on the schedule that was film-related. My favorite is “Splendor in the Grass” and I’ve heard it was filmed in STaten Island way back when. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or just rumor?

VPortunato
VPortunato on February 23, 2005 at 9:57 am

The theatre is spectacular and Ms. Rosemary and her daughters have done a fantastic job. Please patronize it. I gave many gift certificates at Christmas. I also plan to do so for Birthdays! What better way to spread the news. This is a wonderful asset for Staten Island and New York City. I hope it continues to thrive for generations!

GregK
GregK on December 27, 2004 at 10:39 am

The St George just completed its 1st annual Christmas Spectacular last week on Wednesday, December 22, 2004. A total of 7 shows. Most of the shows were close to sold out and most attendees were very pleased with the performances. Smiles all around. I had the privilege of playing an Allen ADC 4500 Theatre Organ at the start of each show, a'la Radio City Music Hall (which was loaned to the theatre by Steve Frank of Allen Organ Studios of New York thru a cooperative effort of myself and NYTOS). In all, about 10,000 or so people got to hear a theatre organ in the St. George in over 50 years! It was a very rewarding experience to say the least.

Greg K

poppy
poppy on December 19, 2004 at 8:34 am

Long live the ST. George Theater. I remember going there many times on dates, back in the 50’s. The good old days.

Jean
Jean on December 7, 2004 at 5:03 am

The evening was wonderful! Red carpet, a string trio, klieg lights, 4 trumpeters, wonderful food,open bar, waiters//waitresses galore, singing from an Irish tenor, a 16 piece band, awards, Senator Marchi (who had attended the St. George back in 1929), a huge Christmas tree, organ music( An Allen Organ loaned through the NYTOS ) played by Bernie Anderson and Greg Klingler, and 400 people. If you would like to see photos of the evening, feel free to e-mail me.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on December 6, 2004 at 6:31 am

How did the event go Saturday night?

Jean
Jean on November 30, 2004 at 1:01 pm

Tomorrow ( Wednessday ) there are plans for a temporary installation of an Allen Organ console to be installed at the St. George Theatre. This installation is in preparation for the 75th anniversary of the theatre’s opening which was on December 4th, 1929. The gala re-opening is to be this Saturday! The “loaner” will be at the theatre for about a month. Meanwhile, the nice folks at the New York Theatre Organ Society ( NYTOS ) are trying to aquire another organ for permanent installation in the theatre. We’ll keep our fingers crossed, and hope this comes to fruition! Thanks, NYTOS!

YMike
YMike on November 19, 2004 at 5:05 am

Sounds great. Hope it happens.

Jean
Jean on November 18, 2004 at 5:36 pm

Yankee…..

I have just been informed that someone will be coming to the theatre soon to check out the projection room. The St. George Theatre will try to start showing classics in the spring. Films that are planned are Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, and The Wizard of Oz.

YMike
YMike on November 18, 2004 at 11:05 am

On the St. George web site there is mention of a classic movies night comming soon. Anyone know when this is happening?