Rolling Hills Theatre

2535 Pacific Coast Highway,
Torrance, CA 90505

ninamccoy
ninamccoy on April 15, 2005 at 5:44 am

Hey, this is how Torrance is spelled

steveo
steveo on April 14, 2005 at 8:12 pm

the address of the rolling hills theatre was 2535 Pacific Coast Highway, Torrence, Ca.
This is printed on a free giveaway photo of Disney’s Robin Hood
I got from the theatre way back when…..

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on April 11, 2005 at 7:21 am

I am wondering if word has gotten out about what happened there which may keep patrons from wanting to eat there? Shortly after the killings I heard that an excellent suspect was found already in jail for something else. I also heard that a possible murder weapon was found in his car. This is all I know and never heard if that story was true or if anyone was ever caught.

ninamccoy
ninamccoy on April 11, 2005 at 5:58 am

Yes, I did start at the Rolling Hills about the time you left. Once the theatre was closed I was transferred to the Metro/Crest, then Holly, Hastings for a short stint to Paramount and yes I do remember you as well. I am still in contact with Roger, he is outside of Seattle, he is completely out of theatre business. He is in the insurance industry.

So you also remember Andrea Efurd, who is now Andrea Brabec as well. Her and Keith live in the area still and are realtors for Century 21,they have two kids.

Yes the theatre was many restaurants I remember Cricketts Tea House was there as well as the Paradise Restaurant

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on April 10, 2005 at 10:55 pm

Garrett is a regional director for Loews in Washington state.

Ed Collins
Ed Collins on April 10, 2005 at 10:52 pm

Are you kidding me? Of course. Roger was the manager at the time I was there – I was his assitant for the six months or so that I worked there, before being transferred to the Paramount in Hollywood. I haven’t heard from Roger in probably 20 years. Didn’t he move back up north? (If I remember, I think he was from Washington.) And of course I remember Gerrit van der Bend as well. Gerrit was my supervisor for the two years that I was the manager of the Holly and the year or so that I managed the Hastings. In fact, I also remember you. Didn’t you start at the Rolling Hills about the time I left?

tropicalgirl
tropicalgirl on April 10, 2005 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the location of the theater. I thought it may have been located at PCH & Crenshaw where the Big 5 and Panera’s Restaurant and there is a spa upstairs from the restaurant. There have been many different restaurants that have occupied the Killian’s location that have not been able to stay in business for some reason.

ninamccoy
ninamccoy on April 10, 2005 at 8:37 pm

I was the assistant manager on the last day of the theatre closing. The theatre was bought by the Pacific Theatre chain approx 1 year before the theatre closed. Prior owners were SRO (Sterling Recreation Organization based in the Pacific North West. The Local SRO office was located on Wilshire Blvd in the Miracle Mile area.

The restaurant there now is Killians with a break zone pool hall and a teachers supply store.

There is now a 21 screen AMC theatre directly behind the old theatre.
Ed do you remember Roger Premo or Garrett Vander Bend

posted by Nina McCoy (Chirello) 04/10/2005 815pm

jackhicko
jackhicko on March 25, 2005 at 12:35 am

Was it where the pool hall is now?

Ed Collins
Ed Collins on March 24, 2005 at 8:51 pm

One of these days I’ll take a drive out to Rolling Hills (I live i Orange County… about 45 minutes away) and look for my old movie theatre. It shouldn’t be too hard to find the location of where the theatre once stood, even after 20+ years, which is approximately how long its been since I worked there. When I do I’ll report back the address of the building that is there now, assuming someone else doesn’t beat me to it first.

As to your second question, I have no idea.

It just so happens I am currently working with the young nephew (I think that’s the relationship) of the person who was the manager (I will not mention his name in this forum) at the time of the murders. However, bringing up the whole story to this young man and asking him to look into it is something I am not going to do. (I am curious, though.)

tropicalgirl
tropicalgirl on March 24, 2005 at 8:35 pm

Does anyone know the restaurant that is housed where the Rolling Hills Theater was? Did they ever find out who killed the four employees?

KimF
KimF on February 3, 2005 at 7:46 pm

Oh… And the Parasol was an extra special dinnertime treat some Saturday nights when mom and dad picked us up after the movies!

KimF
KimF on February 3, 2005 at 7:45 pm

Spent countless wonderful Saturday afternoons at the Rolling Hills during the mid-late ‘60s. Single screen, triple features, band and dance contests, and special guests – including Adam West and Burt Ward, which was REALLY cool! $.60 for admission and me, my little brother and our friends were entertained for HOURS. Used to win those dance contests (can you imagine… the Hula…? Heh), too… $1 prize, plus a free movie pass for another Saturday. They always opened with a short film, too… “Skater Dater” comes to mind. We must have seen “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Help” at least a dozen times each over the years… along with “The Time Machine” and loads of teen beach and monster flicks. Fabulous!

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on December 29, 2004 at 10:53 am

Bah. The comment about your memory was not meant as a derogatory one. The addresses of both theatres were given as Crenshaw / Pacific Coast Highway – you’re more likely to find gas stations opposite each other on street corners than theatres. I miss the Parasol, too!

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 29, 2004 at 7:15 am

This theater was located in the Rolling Hills Plaza.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 29, 2004 at 7:09 am

Also please note moviemanforever’s comment above. He also acknowledges the existence of the UA across the street.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 29, 2004 at 7:07 am

As the original contibutor of this theater, why would anyone think I would post the same one twice? I grew up in the South Bay and attended this and the UA regularly. Your comments about my “insular little memory” and the assumption I was “mistaken” were not appreciated. I had acquantances among the murdered and worked for UA when it happened so I am not likely to make that mistake. I am aware of missing comments and I think you have even reposted some of mine. I appreciated that. As both buildings have been converted, not demolished, I will try for the addresses my next trip down. Both theaters had the “L” shaped or 90 degree design so that may have added to the confusion.

I have e-mailed Ross and asked him why my UA Torrance submission vanished.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on December 28, 2004 at 10:16 pm

Someone saw that it shared an address with this theatre and expunged it from the record. It seemed like the same theatre, I guess. Unfortunate – with all the negative publicity surrounding this theatre – that we still don’t know its actual street address. Occasionally the board will eat comments – a whole bunch got lost during the board update; I’m just glad that my current mania for southern California theatres drove me to save the comments for each theatre before the board updated!

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 28, 2004 at 5:53 pm

MAGIC: I am the contributor of the UA Torrance Theater and have never seen it posted. I submitted it before Christmas. You just mentioned it got “axed”. Why?

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on December 22, 2004 at 7:01 pm

Well, gee whiz – couldn’t you take that one insular little memory that was mistakenly included under the United Artists theatre entry that just got axed, and put it in here?

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 16, 2004 at 9:45 pm

One other comment: The theater was not built on the beautiful Palos Verdes Peninsula. It was in Torrance in a shopping ceneter at Crenshaw and Pacific Coast Hwy. The United Artists Theater was across the street. The FOX Palos Verdes was built shortly after on Silver Spur Rd.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on October 2, 2004 at 5:09 pm

Denny’s comment in full was: “Denny > Nov 30, 2002 10:14 PM EST
The murders happened in February 1973. The feature film was Disney’s "World’s Greatest Athlete”. The bodies were taken out on coroner’s wheeled gurneys durning the morning as kids came to line up at the ticket window but a note on the ticket booth window announced that the theatre will be closed until further notice. The story was covered by all the major TV networks and got coverage around the world."

jmarellano
jmarellano on September 6, 2004 at 7:12 am

The Stadium theatre was located in downtown Torrance. Also there were a few in Manhattan Beach, Redondo, and Hermosa.

These are south bay too.

Ed Collins
Ed Collins on September 6, 2004 at 3:52 am

Hi Bobby,

My comments were taken from an old SRO newsletter. As it was written, I surmised it was the ONLY theatre in the Southbay area, not just SRO. However, I cannot verify the accuracy of that piece of information and I suppose I should not be surprised if it is not completely accurate. I have little doubt your information is correct. Thanks for the clarification.

bobboren
bobboren on September 5, 2004 at 11:42 pm

Ed, are you saying that the Rolling Hills Theatre was the only SRO theatre in the southbay in 1962, or the only Theatre?

It was definately not the only Threatre in South Bay in 1962 – there were at least two in Downtown Torrance, which is clearly part of South Bay. One of them ended up as a Pussy Cat Theatre eventually – the other a live play house – both are gone now.