Regency Village Theatre

961 Broxton Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Cliffs
Cliffs on March 30, 2010 at 11:54 pm

segask,
Not that I don’t totally love the outright doom and gloom you’re pontificating (and before the change has even taken place, no less), but I’m hopeful that Regency might be a bit more aggressive than Mann has been for the past decade. Mann spent the first decade of the new millennium letting their once great dynasty wither away one closure and demolition at a time. The worst part is Mann operates a great many of the Cinema Treasures this site is devoted to and they singlehandedly put almost all of them in danger. While I think that there are things that have happened that were outside Mann’s control, I think an overriding lack of enthusiasm and aggression on Mann’s part were directly responsible for the slow hemorrhaging they have seemed content to allow. I’ll provide a pair of examples…

Los Angeles has a handful of theaters that people are willing to go out of their way for… The Dome, The Chinese, The Village, The Bruin, The Vista (and a list that used to include The Festival and The National). Yet The Village would almost always mirror the showings over at The Dome or Grauman’s leaving several films without a premiere screen engagement. The Chinese and The Village are both theaters I would enjoy seeing a movie at. Why make me decide between them rather than giving me an option at both? Now I know that the reason for this is because those films are typically the most popular, but if something’s playing at The Village and also at The Dome, I’m more inclined to drive the extra 20 or so minutes to hit The Dome. Which brings us to point number 2-

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the technical pros and cons of the Cinerama Dome, I don’t think very many could dispute that it is probably the greatest movie experience in Los Angeles: reserved seating purchased with no service charge online, no on-screen advertising, great presentation (movie props and costumes in the lobby, the curtains always operate as part of the show), excellent staff, exciting alternative programming (Cinerama presentations, great Q&As), and a generally well-mannered, enthusiastic crowd. Mann took all the things people loved most about the Arclight experience and implemented NONE OF IT (and they had the better part of a decade to do so). Arclight took moviegoing and classed it up for a new era. Mann stuck to the same old rigid theatrical dogma that served them well in the 80s… except it’s no longer the 80s. Think about it- In late 2001, Mann added 6 adjacent screens to Grauman’s. A few months later, Arclight reopened The Dome with 13 additional adjacent screens. Which one of those two theaters was more forward thinking and which on is currently reaping the benefit?

As the market changed… Mann didn’t, plain and simple and that’s why they were losing money.

Now I do think there needs to be some kind of move over complex built in Westwood. The closing of all of those old screens (again, mostly Mann it seems) needs to be replenished somehow. It may not be possible behind The Bruin, but I know there’s space available on Gayley and Lindbrook (both east and west side of the street- which could put a complex right on Wilshire). Unless the studios suddenly stop demanding a film play for more than a week, it’s gonna be a necessity.

But I believe Regency knows the financials for these theaters (they wouldn’t have taken then over if they didn’t) and are prepared to work hard to make The Village and The Bruin the flagships of their organization (probably with an eventual eye towards The Chinese as well). But if anyone from Regency is actually reading this… Don’t simply continue to run these houses same old same old as the classics they are (and how Mann ran them) but rather give people reasons to return time and time again.

xaverian
xaverian on March 30, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Anybody know much about Lyndon Golin’s background? Is he a passionate exhibitor or more of a financial/numbers guy?

hillsmanwright
hillsmanwright on March 30, 2010 at 10:54 pm

One thing’s for sure. They’ll still get premieres. Studios couldn’t/wouldn’t book with Mann’s operation uncertain.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on March 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm

We’ll have to wait and see what kind of bookings they can get.

hillsmanwright
hillsmanwright on March 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

O, ye of little faith. As long as that attitude holds, it’ll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Regency isn’t in the business of losing money, nor would they be expanding in this economic climate specifically to do so. They made money at the Fairfax, when others couldn’t. Perhaps, the lower monthly rent they negotiated with the Skouras survivors who still own both theatres will make the difference between win and lose – profit or loss. If nothing else, both houses will have a much different feel than under the long, slow death march of all Mann’s properties as they fulfill their announced intention of leaving the exhibition business. Rule #1 in exhib. – the property takes on the personality of its management.

segask
segask on March 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm

well I’m really glad it will remain a first run movie house. But obviously Mann was losing money here. Regency knows they’ll lose money here. I wonder how long they plan to lose money here?

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on March 30, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Regency also operates the Tamarac Square Cinema in Denver which was originally a Mann house.
The Tamarac was one that Mann actually built.

BradE41
BradE41 on March 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Very nice! I posted this press release on my Facebook page with my own personal forward to my friends.

hillsmanwright
hillsmanwright on March 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Here’s the release: Variety is mis-reporting that Regency bought the theatres. They’re just leasing for now.

WESTWOOD, CA — Regency Theatres is pleased to announce the acquisition of two of the most legendary movie theaters in Los Angeles. Beginning on Thursday, April 1, Regency Theatres will be the proud operators of the historic Village and Bruin Theaters located in the heart of Westwood Village.

“We are excited to be adding the iconic Village and Bruin Theaters to the Regency family of theaters” said Lyndon Golin, President of Regency Theatres. “These celebrated movie houses have been landmarks in Los Angeles since the 1930’s and we plan to extend their legacy far into the future.”
Built in 1930 and opened in 1931, the Village Theater has been a popular location to see movies for several generations of moviegoers. The theater’s grand architecture, large auditorium (which seats over 1,300 patrons) and state-of-the-art presentation make it a destination movie theater for film fans everywhere. The most striking feature of the theater is the 170-foot white Spanish Revival-style tower which looms high over the Broxton and Weyburn intersection.
The theater is a favorite among movie studios, which frequently select the theatre to premiere their top films. The Village Theater will soon celebrate its 80th Anniversary.
The Bruin Theater, a streamlined Art Deco cinema, opened its doors in 1937 directly across the street from the Village Theater and the two have stood side-by-side for over seven decades.
The Regency Village Theater is located at 961 Broxton Avenue and the Regency Bruin is located just across the street at 948 Broxton Avenue. Movie information and ticketing is available at www.regencymovies.com

About Regency Theatres:
Based in Calabasas, family-owned Regency Theatres was founded in 1996 and operates 22 locations in Southern California as well as theaters in Nevada and Colorado.

hillsmanwright
hillsmanwright on March 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

Look for Regency Theatres to make the Village/Bruin announcement today, March 30. I’ll post the release as soon as I get clearance from Regency. Such wonderful news! Having been forced out of the Fairfax, Regency now steps up to operate two gems. It’s up to us to actually support them and buy tickets – and lots of their fresh-popped popcorn. While you’re in the neighborhood, support the Crest with your $$, too.

garyabelov
garyabelov on March 30, 2010 at 6:19 am

Wonderful news.. Makes me want to fly to L.A. from St. Louis and watch a movie at my favorite theatres in the country. Long live the Village and the Bruin!!!!!!!

BradE41
BradE41 on March 30, 2010 at 6:07 am

It somewhat makes sense. Regency seems to want to be a player. They have taken over a few Mann theatres already. My guess is they will take more…or what is remaining. Yes, end of an era. The Village was my first job in 1980. Mann has always been a big part of Westwood. But hey, the theatres are staying open and Regency is anxious to make a name.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on March 30, 2010 at 1:27 am

Sorry, Chris, but this comes as a complete surprise to me. As I’ve said before, I am not an insider, but I do have access to an insider, and the last I heard, Mann was going month-to-month once the main lease expired.

segask
segask on March 29, 2010 at 11:13 pm

does any one have any inside info on the length of Regency’s lease?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on March 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm

The moral of the story is…

NEVER PLAY EDWARD HAVENS IN A GAME OF POKER! :) I have a new found respect for you, brother. Made me (US!) think I (WE!) had lost my mind!

Now the big question…IS CHINESE NEXT?

segask
segask on March 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

now that its over, my compliments to Mann theaters. I hope Regency maintains the same high level of presentation quality and theater upkeep that Mann has right up to the end. I think this theater has the best overall sound of any of the big movie palaces in L.A. (though I never got to hear the big downstairs auditorium at the Avco before they twinned it, nor the old Plitt century plaza before it was chopped up). For overall presentation quality I rate the Village the highest out of all the palaces in westwood and hollywood.

But now that the Mann era is over, what do you guys think of the job Mann did with the Village theater over the years?

xaverian
xaverian on March 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Is this for real? Regency is talking over the Bruin and Village lease? I am totally surprised but very happy that the Bruin and the Village will stay open. Awesome…..

This represents a real departure from the typical Regency theater, but this is great news.

segask
segask on March 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm

well that’s it – the end of the Mann era in Westwood. Just ten years ago Mann had all the theaters in the village north of Wilshire Blvd.

Village
National
Bruin
Festival
Regent
Plaza
Westwood 4 plex

I think that was all of them.

segask
segask on March 29, 2010 at 9:15 pm

yeah, on the Regency website you can inquire about renting the Village and Bruin:

segask
segask on March 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm

wow! So there it is. They’re taking over the Bruin too.

Talionis
Talionis on March 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Yup, confirmed, Regency. The employees have to interview with them this week.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on March 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm

OH MY GOD. It’s REGENCY! It’s REGENCY! http://regencymovies.com/

BradE41
BradE41 on March 29, 2010 at 11:37 am

I think it has pretty much been established that they are staying open on a month to month, with Mann as the operator. I’m not holding my breath for anything else at this point. But I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will get a few more years from them.

xaverian
xaverian on March 29, 2010 at 1:34 am

April 1st comes this week….let’s hope some national theater chain, or maybe some film heavyweight/billionaire, gets serious about taking over the leases for these two national treasures. Losing them would be a tragedy.