Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

GFeret
GFeret on June 2, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Re.: PATIO marquee –

trucks keep ramming it, can’t say why this should be a particular problem in more recent times. Someone else can speculate?

jwballer
jwballer on May 29, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Wow the marquee is really getting beat up

gompka
gompka on May 27, 2009 at 12:56 am

My mom worked in the patio theater from about 1991 till 1998 and would often take me to work with her, at one time we lived in the apartment building attached to the Patio. After so many years of being around the Patio and essentially growing up there I share some of Mr. Antonelli’s memories of the Patio and of Alex K. Although I was too young at the time to think of the Patio in the same way I think of it now, I would love to be able to see a movie in it. Going into a new theatre today is boring and bland. Even if the movie was bad you wouldn’t be disappointed because of all of the things you could see while in the theatre. I remember on some days I would try to sneak into the projection booth and would see all of the posters on the wall and the big projectors and tubes of metal rods used to light the projectors. I also remember Mr. Antonelli and that he was very serious about his work at the Patio, when i try to remember way back I remember when “The Wizard of Austin Boulevard” was being filmed at the Patio and it was full of wires and lighting equipment. I think those who have worked in the Patio have an extra special bond with the place, even someone like me who as a little boy helped my parents clean up the empty popcorn buckets and pop cups. I also know that there were others who devoted their time to help keep the Patio running, and to the best of my knowledge they did this for free. The three gentleman would come in on Saturdays and fix-up the place. I don’t remember a whole lot about them, but maybe PatioMike or Mr. Antonelli can help me out here, I remember them as Mr. Richard (DIc), Mr. Jim, and Mr. Jerry.

Dave K

GFeret
GFeret on May 20, 2009 at 2:02 pm

For PATIO to remain standing profoundly disused for so many years sort of tells me the owner awaits even expects the right terms to be brought them for putting it back in business. Optimism, can’t fault them for that. Otherwise it’d’ve wiped away already, right?

I think of other disused old neighborhood movie palaces that came back to life after years, but unfortunately I can think of some—Montclare is one—the owner seemed to want to but after time ultimately gave up the ghost. With that in mind what’re the realistic odds for the PATIO—there’s poor street parking and it ain’t of any architectural significance.

MPol
MPol on March 5, 2009 at 4:15 pm

This, too, looks like a nice theatre inside.

LouB
LouB on March 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm

The above website has a nice interior view of the Patio.

MPol
MPol on March 4, 2009 at 11:24 am

Good luck to all of you down there. Hope they re-open the Patio Theatre for you.

jwballer
jwballer on March 3, 2009 at 7:28 pm

they should reopen this place

MPol
MPol on February 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm

How cool, MK49er! Thanks for the sweet little story about your mom, you and the Patio Theatre.

mkreyche
mkreyche on February 23, 2009 at 6:41 pm

My mother was born in 1921 and lived most of her first 35 years or so a few blocks from the Patio on Mason Ave.—including, probably, when the theater opened! She always called it the PAY-show. I remember my dad taking me there to see Disney’s Peter Pan. I would have been about 4 at the time (yes, it was a VERY big deal!).

MPol
MPol on January 21, 2009 at 2:08 pm

It looks like a gorgeous theatre, both inside and out. Sure hope you guys can save it, for your own sake, although I’m not a resident of the Chicago area, or the State of Illinois, generally.

dklauck
dklauck on January 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I am trying to reach Patiomike from above posts. We are interested in forming a Save the Patio neighborhood group to raise money for the restoration and preservation of this beautiful theater. Anybody with info please contact me at e mail below.

“LETS SAVE AND REOPEN THE PATIO THEATER”

Thanks
Dan

chgotim
chgotim on December 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Maybe because the marquee, itself, was getting so beat up that it, too, is now in need of renovation. ;–)

jeromeathon
jeromeathon on December 28, 2008 at 3:20 am

Does anyone know why the “renovation” on the marquee was taken down?

MPol
MPol on December 27, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Quadrama: May I make a suggestion? If you’re going to post very long posts like the one you’ve posted, you might wish to break them up into individual paragraphs to make the posts easier to read. Hope I’ve been of some help here.

jeromeathon
jeromeathon on November 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm

After a few months of reading postings here and there on this forum I finally created an account =P. I grew up around this neighborhood. I guess I was fortunate enough to be able to enter the doors of the Patio (pat-ee-oh) while Mr. Alex and Mr. Antonelli were running things. I attended St. Ferdinand Elementary School K-8 and I would go to the Patio with my family and/or friends pretty often. You can’t beat $2 (when the price was raised I remember being confused, haha)!

From reading the other posts it seems I’m one of the youngin’s on here. Just once, even if it were just one more time (although, I would be very happy, along with everyone else here, to see it open again), I would like to step through those doors and have that “feeling.” It’s a feeling you can’t get going to Crown Village or an AMC; the grandeur is lost there.

If someone were to hold a special event to celebrate the magnificence that is the Patio theater, I would be at that event in a heart beat; standing in line underneath the flashing marquee, $2 in hand (or $3 haha).

I just want that “feeling” back.

MKuecker
MKuecker on October 20, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Well, I hope someone does something with it. I’d love to have a tour of the inside. Can we arrange it? Pretty please? :)

Drop me a note:

Bing00
Bing00 on July 20, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Patiomike,

As I mentioned above, I am in real estate development. I have had a conversation with Alex and am working with a group seriously interested in the revitalization of The Patio. I would like to write to you with a few questions off this sight and if you would be so kind as to consider that, please contact me at

My thanks,
Michael

primo
primo on May 27, 2008 at 9:27 pm

To anyone with some insider info…

I am a photographer based in Chicago and am looking for neglected locations throughout Chicago to host a photo shoot. I am looking to use a beautifully surreal space as a backdrop for an interior design catalogue and think The Patio would be a great place.

If anyone has any information about making this a reality, please get in contact with me at your earliest convenience. Thanks in advance.

Carey Primeau

aek316
aek316 on May 26, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Another classic I never got to go to (or if I did, I’m too young to remember). Truly a shame. I drive by this theater all the time and the marquee unfortunately looks like it’s collapsing. Looks like there may be too many roadblocks to reopen it. Really too bad in light of the Portage’s success and judging from some of the pictures, the inside of the theter looks to still be in pretty good shape-

Patiomike
Patiomike on April 22, 2008 at 7:53 am

The monsignor is somewhat mistaken. The business licence had not expired and the owner was not on vacation. A complicated dispute over the number of useable seats played a much larger part. The number of seats, among other things, determines the Public Place of Amusement License fee. Instead of resolving the dispute, the city chose to force our closure. There is only one nearby business with a parking lot. In early days, it was available to us. After a change of ownership, requests for access were refused. It always seemed strange to us, when discussing parking, to see empty buses roll by.

MKuecker
MKuecker on April 21, 2008 at 5:41 pm

This just in: According to my friend who claims to know the Montsenior at St. Pascal’s Church – just up the road from The Patio: The owner went on vacation, and the business license expired. When he tried to get it renewed, the City of Chicago said “To run a movie theatre, you need to have parking space for at least 25 cars.” Because the license already expired, he missed the grandfather clause. Now I’m sure if that’s the case: There are several businesses with ample parking just a block from the theatre that for the right price would love to hire out 25 spots, and would probably do it for the advertising alone. They should be approached. Anyone know how to Mowemy Po Polsku? :)

chgotim
chgotim on April 18, 2008 at 1:24 am

I know someone who is familiar and experienced with maintenance of old theaters. I think it would be worthwhile for Alex to ask him to walk through and take a look at things sometime. Perhaps he could advise the owner on what really needs to be done to get those matters up to snuff. He might even have a decent idea about how to do something about repairing that A/C.

ThreQtrWlf
ThreQtrWlf on April 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm

In the early 1960’s, my grandparents lived on Dakin and Marmora..about a block away from the Patio. I was about 4 years old at the time, and my grandfather took me to see “The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.” I remember looking up at the starry ceiling. It was a humid summer night, and after the movie, he carried me home. I am 48 now and that memory will always be with me.