UA Lynbrook 6

321 Merrick Road,
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 28, 2005 at 8:42 am

I remember this theater as a quartet back in the late ‘70’s and early '80’s. I saw many movies here (and snuck around from auditorium to auditorium on a single ticket on more than one occasion). We lived in Laurelton, which is the last neighborhood in Queens as Merrick Blvd crosses into Nassau County and becomes Merrick Road, and we’d often take walk to the Nassau border in Valley Stream so we could take the N4 bus to the Lynbrook. There was another smaller theater on Hempstead Ave just a block or so away called Studio One. I remember one night my Mom took a whole bunch of us out to the movies and everyone wanted to see “Rocky II”, except for me and my friend Mike who had seen it already. So they all saw that movie at the Lynbrook while Mike and I took in “Alien” at the Studio One.

I remember taking my little brother to see “The Muppet Movie” here and the virtually X-rated gore fest “Dawn of the Dead” was playing the downstairs theater on the right. Back in those days (and maybe still today?) the doors to the auditoriums had these square windows through which you could view the screen. My brother was too small to peer in to the theater, but he was curious about the zombie flick – which I had already seen and giddily described to him in vivid detail. I picked him up and let him peek in through the window just in time for him to watch one of the characters in the flick plunge a screwdriver deep into the ear of a zombie in graphic close-up. He was 7 years old at the time and it’s an image that is burned into his memory – as well as a story he still loves to tell to this day!

We used to lie about our ages to get into R-rated movies. Even at 14 or 15 we passed pretty easily for older kids and rarely had a problem. One time, however, we couldn’t convince the cashier that we were 17 and had to buy tickets to a PG-rated movie, when in fact we wanted to see “Dawn of the Dead.” I want to say we bought tickets for “Rocky II” but I’m not entirely sure. Anyway… we snuck into “Dawn of the Dead” regardless and were allowed to settle in and enjoy the flick for about 25 minutes until one of the ushers (a young guy probably college-age) came in shining his flashlight and asked to see our tickets. When he saw the stub, he just looked at us slyly, said “Son of a gun!” and escorted us to the front doors! So, we plopped down on the curb waiting for the bus to take us back to Queens and after a while that very same usher comes out of the theater and sees us sitting there rather dejectedly. He tells us that he was just getting off and wasn’t going to come in after us, but found himself gripped with a strong sense of duty! We certainly weren’t as amused as he so obviously was with himself and sent him on his way with a few choice words. We wound up finally seeing “Dawn of the Dead” at the Rivoli Theater in Times Square, where age restrictions weren’t quite as dutifully monitored.

I also remember having to walk all the way home from this theater after seeing a late show here one week night in the summer. The movie let out around 11pm or so and we didn’t realize that the bus stopped running completely after 10pm! We sat at the bus stop in front of the theater for nearly an hour before an usher exiting the theater informed us that there would be no bus until about 5 in the morning! What a walk that was! I was never so happy as when we finally came to the 7-11 located near the Queens border and realized (a) we could get something to drink and (b) the end of our journey was near! My sides start to hurt me just thinking back on that trek.

The UA Lynbrook was one of my many local cinematic haunts during the time. We also had the little Laurelton Theater on our side of the border, the Valley Stream, Belaire Twin, Century’s Green Acres and Sunrise Cinemas in Valley Stream as well as the RKO Twin and Fantasy Theaters in Rockville Center, the RKO triplex in Lawrence and the discount second-run Five Towns Theater in Woodmere.

DennisLeight
DennisLeight on October 18, 2005 at 4:34 am

There once was a small Kimball theatre organ in this theatre. I looked at it once, back in the early 70’s while I still lived on Long Island. The console was intact and the cables still connected to the windchests in the chambers. The blower also still could be started. Unfortunately almost all of the pipe work had been removed. Everything relatively small, from Tenor C up had been removed by someone. The manager, whose name I have forgotten, was surprised to learn this from me. She had no explaination. Systematic vandalism, I suppose.

chconnol
chconnol on February 2, 2005 at 8:48 am

Ugh! None of the old ornamentation is left? What a disgrace. This place was one of LI’s true movie palaces. If I remember correctly, it was (and pardon me if my architectural phraseology is not up to snuff) done in a “Spanish” style. What a shame.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 28, 2005 at 1:04 pm

I recently had the opportunity to meet the projectionist here, a great guy called Meredith Rhule. He took me to all four (!) projection booths (one for the two orchestra theaters, one for the two balcony theaters, one on the former stage and the last in a former commercial space off the lobby) where I watched him run a grade-A show. We talked a lot about the deplorable state of modern movie presentation and had a few laughs at the expense of the dopes at Regal/UA for some of their arcane practices. Meredith was cool enough to show me around the place as well; we poked around the old backstage dressing rooms and downstairs I got a look at the orchestra pit, which really is a pit nowadays. We searched a bit for any signs of the former ornamentation, but little is left. It was a real treat to shoot the breeze with a true union professional, a man with a sense of history (he also worked the Chinese Theater and at private Hollywood screening rooms for many years before moving east). This guy takes pride in his work and it shows, a precious commodity in a world where the high-school usher often runs the show.

chconnol
chconnol on December 22, 2004 at 10:03 am

The Fantasy might’ve been designed properly but they also gutted a fine looking theater.

taketheatrai
taketheatrai on December 21, 2004 at 8:39 pm

The UA Lynbrook is a terribel place to see a movie when its crowded. In Theatres 1 and 2, the seats have obstructed vews with the persons head blocking the film.

The upstairs auditoriums are MONO. No stereo or digital sound. Cinemas 1 and 2 have DTS.

REGAL plans to expand it to 10 to 14 screens. The Fantasy in Rockville Center was built in 1989 was design properly. All Fantasy screens had DTS sound.

RobertR
RobertR on December 6, 2004 at 12:51 pm

Yes, Cineplex did the same with the Green Acres, Fantasy, Fresh Meadows and I think a theatre in Brooklyn. As far as Lynbrook is concerned it’s a miracle it’s still open with UA running it.

chconnol
chconnol on December 6, 2004 at 12:17 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Green Acres in Valley Stream and the Fantasy in Rockville Centre did get this so-called Midway treatment, right? In some ways I find that more brutal as it complete destroys anything that resembled the old theater.

I was on LI over Thanksgiving and went by the Lynbrook. GOD that place was huge. You can see how high up the arched ceiling goes. I guess a creative architect could’ve maintained the original architecture while multiplexing it but the cost would’ve been cost prohibitive.

RobertR
RobertR on December 6, 2004 at 11:20 am

The Midway was totally gutted down to the four walls. They then added new floors to create a multiplex. It is the only UA theatre they ever multiplexed properly.

chconnol
chconnol on December 6, 2004 at 11:18 am

“it will get the Midway treatment” from saps above dated 8/2/04.

What is the Midway Treatment?

chconnol
chconnol on November 8, 2004 at 12:35 pm

Gee, I wonder why the Sunrise Multiplex isn’t listed? I’m sure lots of people have “interesting” stories about it.

As for the Lynbrook, this was one of my favorite theaters growing up. Maybe my memory is tainted but I remember it as being HUGE. And very ornate. It was done in a Spanish style. A lovely place to see a movie. The most memorable movie I saw there was “Rocky” in 1977. About a year or so later, it was multiplexed to four theaters. At first, this was cool. Wow! Four theaters in one place! But now I realize what a loss it was and is.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 4, 2004 at 11:01 pm

Sorry, I was there again tonight and there ARE six screens, number six being in a former retail space adjacent to the lobby and not part of the former auditorium. And it is a little shoe-boxy, though it’s wide and shallow rather than long and narrow.

theatrefan
theatrefan on August 3, 2004 at 8:18 am

UA was not known for the upkeep of their theatres, usually they would run them into the ground. I’ve been to this cinema and it wasn’t bad at all, but it is obsolete by modern Regal standards, and according to them it is due for an overhaul.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 2, 2004 at 8:04 pm

And there are five screens, number five on the old stage being the only one that could be called a shoebox, yet even it has a high ceiling and is roomier than you might think.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 2, 2004 at 8:02 pm

I was there tonight and was surprised about how not-awful it was. The three auditoriums (I know that’s wrong!) I went in were all clean, no noticable broken seats and the screens were bright and focused. The lobby was also well decorated and pleasant to be in.

I saw a movie upstairs, which seems to be the original balcony divided in two, and it was nice to imagine what the whole thing must have looked like and felt like, and imagining where the original screen was.

I have heard both rumors about this place: That it will be demolished and a new house built, or that it will get the Midway treatment. Either way, I recommend seeing a movie here, especially upstairs, for a little taste of the olden days.

edward
edward on March 12, 2004 at 5:22 am

UA Lynbrook 6, 321 Merrick Rd., Lynbrook, NY 11563, 516-593-1050:

Vito
Vito on March 12, 2004 at 4:28 am

As a projectionist at The Lynbrook during the 60s and 70s I can tell you the booth was not equiped for D-150, We had two Norelco 35/70 projectors and ran a lot of 70mm during which two projectionists on duty at all times. I remember “Oliver” as my favorite. “The Sound Of Music” played there a second time in 35mm with four track mag stereo sound.

joemasher
joemasher on March 11, 2004 at 5:43 pm

The Lynbrook will receive the “Midway” treatment at the end of this year, as will the Marboro, according to my sources.

Orlando
Orlando on March 11, 2004 at 5:06 pm

The Brentwood was not a D-150 theatre but I saw “Lady And The Tramp” in Cinemascope and the screen stretched the entire width of the auditorium which was hidden by a red satin curtain that worked and this would have been in 1985.

Orlando
Orlando on March 11, 2004 at 5:01 pm

To the best of my knowledge, this was never a D-150, only in Woodbury, L.I. and Lefrak City, Queens. The first sound/talkie on Lond Island premiered here. At one time in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, Century Theatres leased the building. This was a money maker until the Sunrise Multiplex came along, but after awhile it regained its' lost audience when the crowds in Sunrise Multiplex in Valley Stream became unruly. Its' Roadshow status lasted from 1964 until 1968 (“Camelot” being the last one). “The Sound Of Music”’s Roadshow Engagement followed the Syosset’s Roadshow, it was a moveover. Once the theatre is rebuilt, it should become popular again since the Sunrise doesn’t offer stadium seating.

RobertR
RobertR on March 11, 2004 at 2:17 pm

Did the Lynbrrok ever have d-150 projection? According to one of the wide screen web sites they had the equiptment, but I have never heard this. Also someone told me the Brentwood in Suffolk county was also a d-150 theatre? I only knew about The Rivoli, UA Lefrak 150 and The late great Cinema 150 in Syosset.

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2004 at 7:23 am

Why dont they do to this what they did to the Midway?

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 6, 2004 at 11:41 am

Two days ago, I had to go peeking around the place again. I was back in theater #5, the area that used to be the stage area. It is so cool to check out the old dressing rooms on the first and second floors. I had managed to go below and snoop into what remains of the covered-up orchestra pit. I have seen at least a thousand similiar theaters across the country, and each and every one tells a story of what had to be such an incredible era. For the life of me, I cannot understand why these palaces are not being used for their original intentions today. I love Broadway in New York; Every city should have its own little Broadway. Why are these treasures not supported by their communities?

js662
js662 on February 6, 2004 at 3:37 am

I managed this theater for a short time in 1967-68. I was drafted in 68 and had to leave. This was a single screen theater at the time I was there and was set up with 70mm as it was used for Roadshows during the early 60’s. The first reserved seat performance was Dr Zhivago followed by the Sound of Music. This was a great single screen theater with a full stage and a working pipe organ in the orchestra pit. Today the theater is in poor shape and the division of the auditorium had removed all the beauty of the theater. I understand its fate with the wrecking ball is only a short time away…. What a shame!!!

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 2:13 pm

Tell me about it. I just did a double shift there yesterday. Word is, once the cuban restaurant on the property ends their lease, the place will be demolished and rebuilt from scratch. If you drive by, you will notice all the other businesses on the property are vacant. Only the cuban restaurant remains and is holding-up the plans.