UA Lynbrook 6

Lynbrook, NY 11563

edward
edward on March 12, 2004 at 5:22 am

UA Lynbrook 6, 321 Merrick Rd., Lynbrook, NY 11563, 516-593-1050:

Vito
Vito on March 12, 2004 at 4:28 am

As a projectionist at The Lynbrook during the 60s and 70s I can tell you the booth was not equiped for D-150, We had two Norelco 35/70 projectors and ran a lot of 70mm during which two projectionists on duty at all times. I remember “Oliver” as my favorite. “The Sound Of Music” played there a second time in 35mm with four track mag stereo sound.

joemasher
joemasher on March 11, 2004 at 5:43 pm

The Lynbrook will receive the “Midway” treatment at the end of this year, as will the Marboro, according to my sources.

Orlando
Orlando on March 11, 2004 at 5:06 pm

The Brentwood was not a D-150 theatre but I saw “Lady And The Tramp” in Cinemascope and the screen stretched the entire width of the auditorium which was hidden by a red satin curtain that worked and this would have been in 1985.

Orlando
Orlando on March 11, 2004 at 5:01 pm

To the best of my knowledge, this was never a D-150, only in Woodbury, L.I. and Lefrak City, Queens. The first sound/talkie on Lond Island premiered here. At one time in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s, Century Theatres leased the building. This was a money maker until the Sunrise Multiplex came along, but after awhile it regained its' lost audience when the crowds in Sunrise Multiplex in Valley Stream became unruly. Its' Roadshow status lasted from 1964 until 1968 (“Camelot” being the last one). “The Sound Of Music”’s Roadshow Engagement followed the Syosset’s Roadshow, it was a moveover. Once the theatre is rebuilt, it should become popular again since the Sunrise doesn’t offer stadium seating.

RobertR
RobertR on March 11, 2004 at 2:17 pm

Did the Lynbrrok ever have d-150 projection? According to one of the wide screen web sites they had the equiptment, but I have never heard this. Also someone told me the Brentwood in Suffolk county was also a d-150 theatre? I only knew about The Rivoli, UA Lefrak 150 and The late great Cinema 150 in Syosset.

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2004 at 7:23 am

Why dont they do to this what they did to the Midway?

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 6, 2004 at 11:41 am

Two days ago, I had to go peeking around the place again. I was back in theater #5, the area that used to be the stage area. It is so cool to check out the old dressing rooms on the first and second floors. I had managed to go below and snoop into what remains of the covered-up orchestra pit. I have seen at least a thousand similiar theaters across the country, and each and every one tells a story of what had to be such an incredible era. For the life of me, I cannot understand why these palaces are not being used for their original intentions today. I love Broadway in New York; Every city should have its own little Broadway. Why are these treasures not supported by their communities?

js662
js662 on February 6, 2004 at 3:37 am

I managed this theater for a short time in 1967-68. I was drafted in 68 and had to leave. This was a single screen theater at the time I was there and was set up with 70mm as it was used for Roadshows during the early 60’s. The first reserved seat performance was Dr Zhivago followed by the Sound of Music. This was a great single screen theater with a full stage and a working pipe organ in the orchestra pit. Today the theater is in poor shape and the division of the auditorium had removed all the beauty of the theater. I understand its fate with the wrecking ball is only a short time away…. What a shame!!!

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 2:13 pm

Tell me about it. I just did a double shift there yesterday. Word is, once the cuban restaurant on the property ends their lease, the place will be demolished and rebuilt from scratch. If you drive by, you will notice all the other businesses on the property are vacant. Only the cuban restaurant remains and is holding-up the plans.

RobertR
RobertR on February 5, 2004 at 4:41 am

I am suprised UA has not closed this yet, the current condition is hoorrible.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 4, 2004 at 10:39 pm

As a projectionist, I wish I could have ran film there when it was a single screen… :(