Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Patsy on October 14, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Lost Memory: Your post of July 21, 2007 are spectacular and makes me wonder why this elegant theatre wasn’t saved especially with it’s rich Sinatra history.

Patsy on October 14, 2007 at 2:10 pm

There is a photo with a timeline of the Paramount on this site.

Rory on September 20, 2007 at 7:27 am

On the Fox Home Video DVD of “The Best of Everything” is a brief Fox Movietone Newsreel segment on the premiere of this movie at the Paramount Theatre on October 9, 1959. I’ve heard that Fox is preparing a special edition of “Journey to the Center of the Earth,” which premiered at the Paramount on December 16, 1959. I hope they have a newsreel of that event.

William on August 24, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Alany926, You should try The Theatre Historical Society of America for photos on the Paramount Theatre in Times Square. They at one time published an annual featuring the Paramount Times Square Theatre (1976)#3. They would be the best in finding photos of the theatre.

ajy926 on August 24, 2007 at 11:55 am

Hi Everyone!

Hopefully someone can help me or steer me in the right direction. I’m doing a piece on the Paramount Theater Times Square, NY and I’m trying to collect all available pictures..

If anyone can help me I’d appreciate it greatly,

katten41 on July 17, 2007 at 4:25 am

I worked at Paramount Pictures headquarters from late 1964 through early 1965 and remember once being taken by a veteran employee down a series of stairs from our offices to a door that opened upon a top-down view of the shuttered theater. It was a spectacular vista, one befitting a master shot for “Phantom Of The Opera.” From that vantage point, even a youngster like myself understood immediately what theatrical grandeur was all about.

katten41 on July 17, 2007 at 4:14 am

Can anyone provide a list of films playing at the Paramount in the last half of 1962? Many thanks in advance.

ErnieN on May 7, 2007 at 11:23 am

Excellent pix, Warren. Many thanks. A reminder that, I guess, all of Manhattan is basically rock.

Ernie Nagy

ErnieN on May 7, 2007 at 11:22 am

Ernie Nagy

ErnieN on April 1, 2007 at 11:42 am

Great photo, KenRoe. Many thanks.

Ernie Nagy

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 1, 2007 at 11:31 am

A vintage postcard view of the Paramount Theatre Building in 1927:

BobHarlow on March 19, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Another VistaVision film that played at The Paramount was
“The Court Jester” in early 1956. Does anyone know if it was in 8
perf Horizontal?

ErnieN on March 19, 2007 at 11:12 am

Betty Hutton was a pretty big star, although her rather manic style of acting always seemed a little over the top to me. In any event, I join those who mourn her passing. I think, somehow, she did not lead the happiest of lives.

I found it a bit odd that none of the obits I read mentioned that she was the sister of Marion Hutton, Glenn Miller’s chick vocalist during the glory years of that band (a frequent denizen of the Paramount, of course).

Ernie Nagy

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 19, 2007 at 8:45 am

I hadn’t heard about Betty until the day after it was announced. My cousin told me, and we watched “The Greatest Show on Earth” (a Music Hall attraction) that night to honor her.

Vito on March 19, 2007 at 6:01 am

Perhaps some of you have not heard the sad news of Betty Hutton’s passing. Having been out of town all of last week I had not heard the news until this weekend.
I understand from my friend Warren that TCM did a tribute to Betty, I am sorry that I missed that.
Since many of her movies, including her first, “The Fleet’s In, opened at the Paramount, I decided to post something here to be sure all of her fans heard the news. Betty left the business to early, I am sure she could have continued to entertain for many more years, but she was happy with her decision to quit entertaining and that’s all that matters.

RobertR on January 30, 2007 at 5:44 am

1943 with the Ink Spots on stage

balloonhedz on January 23, 2007 at 5:12 am

PS…thanks for the photo kudos on the rest ofthe stuff. If you like burlesque, FDNY stuff, subway stuff, Coney Island, and general NYC street stuff…lemme know Ill give you links.

Vito on January 23, 2007 at 5:12 am

balloonhedz asked if anyone remembers the Century circuit, and I just had to respond. Forgive me for taking up space on the pages devoted to the magnificent and so very missed Paramount, but I wanted to write about one of the best theatre circuits I ever had the privilege of working for. During the late 50s and through much of the 60s I refused to settle down in one particular theatre, opting instead to work the Roadshows and vacation relief in theatres mostly on Long Island. I worked just about every Century theatre simply because they where the best, maintenance was a priority back then and the theatres were always kept in tip top condition. I developed a reputation with one of the District managers who often asked the union to “send Vito” because he knew I took great pride in my work.
They were the only theatre circuit operating at the time which a strict delux policy which meant the curtain had to be closed at the end of the trailers/shorts and reopened at the start of the feature, the stage lights were also brought up full and lowered again. During intermission music absolutely had to be played (except in Roadshows) and you were never allowed to “cut a record” (yeah, records, remember them?) We had to wait until a song ended before starting the show, we were not even allowed to fade the music out, the song had to be completed. Generally it was best if a new song was to begin and you only had a minute or so left for the intermission, you simply stopped the music at that point. Masking could never been seen moving it was to be opened or brought in during the Delux stage so that the curtain would hide the moving masking.
On holidays we would always start the day with a showing of the National Anthem, which was a film clip of a waving flag with the Anthem playing, God help you if you forgot to do that.
Thanks for allowing me to post just a few of the great memories of working for the magnificent Century theatre circuit.

balloonhedz on January 23, 2007 at 5:04 am

Warren…I know. ;–)
Thats why I SAID…if it would be better posted elsewhere and not in a thread about the Paramount…Ill move it.

Bway…thanks for the heads up as to making the search easier. Ill go post it. And thanks for the kudos. Not a bad shot for hand me down cheap camera after all I guess :–)

Bway on January 23, 2007 at 4:42 am

Balloon, great photo! I like all the others in your album too…
You should post this in the Valencia section. In your address bar where it says “548” for the Paramount, just put “903”, and go.
Either that, or you can search for any theater in the top left where it says “search” theater, and type in any name, like “Valencia”.

balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 5:42 pm
itsnot the bestof shots but its one of my earliest when I started shooting the subway in 1977. It shows the facade of the place (least from the tracks UP)

And I know this is a thread about the Paramount…so if you want it moved just point me where :–)

click on the image and it gets a BIT bigger

balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 5:34 pm

thats where my mom took my sister and me to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS back in the early early 70s. My pop was still working out of a command housed in the 103 Precinct then.

Its a joy to hear they didnt strip it when it became Tabernacle of Prayer.

Bway on January 22, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Actually, aside from the addition of a chandelier in the ceiling of the valencia, the Calencia is completely intact, and the same as it was when it was a theater….sure, it’s colors are painted quite guady now, but at least it’s being maintained, cared for, and technically could become a theater again within some minor revisions back. Thats a lot more than can be said for most.

balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 1:26 pm

oh maaaaaaaaan what a gem :–)
who remembers the CENTURY theater chain?
And the Loews Valancia!~
What a friggin palace that place was!~
Least its still standing as a church rather than being gone outright.