Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

ErnieN
ErnieN on May 7, 2007 at 11:22 am

Excellent pix, Warren. Many thanks. A reminder that, I guess, all of Manhattan is basically rock.

Cheers.

Ernie Nagy

ErnieN
ErnieN on April 1, 2007 at 11:42 am

Great photo, KenRoe. Many thanks.

Ernie Nagy

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 1, 2007 at 11:31 am

A vintage postcard view of the Paramount Theatre Building in 1927:

BobHarlow
BobHarlow on March 19, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Another VistaVision film that played at The Paramount was
“The Court Jester” in early 1956. Does anyone know if it was in 8
perf Horizontal?

ErnieN
ErnieN on March 19, 2007 at 11:12 am

Betty Hutton was a pretty big star, although her rather manic style of acting always seemed a little over the top to me. In any event, I join those who mourn her passing. I think, somehow, she did not lead the happiest of lives.

I found it a bit odd that none of the obits I read mentioned that she was the sister of Marion Hutton, Glenn Miller’s chick vocalist during the glory years of that band (a frequent denizen of the Paramount, of course).

Ernie Nagy

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 19, 2007 at 8:45 am

I hadn’t heard about Betty until the day after it was announced. My cousin told me, and we watched “The Greatest Show on Earth” (a Music Hall attraction) that night to honor her.

Vito
Vito on March 19, 2007 at 6:01 am

Perhaps some of you have not heard the sad news of Betty Hutton’s passing. Having been out of town all of last week I had not heard the news until this weekend.
I understand from my friend Warren that TCM did a tribute to Betty, I am sorry that I missed that.
Since many of her movies, including her first, “The Fleet’s In, opened at the Paramount, I decided to post something here to be sure all of her fans heard the news. Betty left the business to early, I am sure she could have continued to entertain for many more years, but she was happy with her decision to quit entertaining and that’s all that matters.

RobertR
RobertR on January 30, 2007 at 5:44 am

1943 with the Ink Spots on stage

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 23, 2007 at 5:12 am

Bway~
PS…thanks for the photo kudos on the rest ofthe stuff. If you like burlesque, FDNY stuff, subway stuff, Coney Island, and general NYC street stuff…lemme know Ill give you links.

Vito
Vito on January 23, 2007 at 5:12 am

balloonhedz asked if anyone remembers the Century circuit, and I just had to respond. Forgive me for taking up space on the pages devoted to the magnificent and so very missed Paramount, but I wanted to write about one of the best theatre circuits I ever had the privilege of working for. During the late 50s and through much of the 60s I refused to settle down in one particular theatre, opting instead to work the Roadshows and vacation relief in theatres mostly on Long Island. I worked just about every Century theatre simply because they where the best, maintenance was a priority back then and the theatres were always kept in tip top condition. I developed a reputation with one of the District managers who often asked the union to “send Vito” because he knew I took great pride in my work.
They were the only theatre circuit operating at the time which a strict delux policy which meant the curtain had to be closed at the end of the trailers/shorts and reopened at the start of the feature, the stage lights were also brought up full and lowered again. During intermission music absolutely had to be played (except in Roadshows) and you were never allowed to “cut a record” (yeah, records, remember them?) We had to wait until a song ended before starting the show, we were not even allowed to fade the music out, the song had to be completed. Generally it was best if a new song was to begin and you only had a minute or so left for the intermission, you simply stopped the music at that point. Masking could never been seen moving it was to be opened or brought in during the Delux stage so that the curtain would hide the moving masking.
On holidays we would always start the day with a showing of the National Anthem, which was a film clip of a waving flag with the Anthem playing, God help you if you forgot to do that.
Thanks for allowing me to post just a few of the great memories of working for the magnificent Century theatre circuit.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 23, 2007 at 5:04 am

Warren…I know. ;–)
Thats why I SAID…if it would be better posted elsewhere and not in a thread about the Paramount…Ill move it.

Bway…thanks for the heads up as to making the search easier. Ill go post it. And thanks for the kudos. Not a bad shot for hand me down cheap camera after all I guess :–)

Bway
Bway on January 23, 2007 at 4:42 am

Balloon, great photo! I like all the others in your album too…
You should post this in the Valencia section. In your address bar where it says “548” for the Paramount, just put “903”, and go.
Either that, or you can search for any theater in the top left where it says “search” theater, and type in any name, like “Valencia”.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 5:42 pm

itsnot the bestof shots but its one of my earliest when I started shooting the subway in 1977. It shows the facade of the place (least from the tracks UP)

And I know this is a thread about the Paramount…so if you want it moved just point me where :–)

click on the image and it gets a BIT bigger

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 5:34 pm

thats where my mom took my sister and me to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS back in the early early 70s. My pop was still working out of a command housed in the 103 Precinct then.

Its a joy to hear they didnt strip it when it became Tabernacle of Prayer.

Bway
Bway on January 22, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Actually, aside from the addition of a chandelier in the ceiling of the valencia, the Calencia is completely intact, and the same as it was when it was a theater….sure, it’s colors are painted quite guady now, but at least it’s being maintained, cared for, and technically could become a theater again within some minor revisions back. Thats a lot more than can be said for most.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 22, 2007 at 1:26 pm

oh maaaaaaaaan what a gem :–)
who remembers the CENTURY theater chain?
And the Loews Valancia!~
What a friggin palace that place was!~
Least its still standing as a church rather than being gone outright.

ErnieN
ErnieN on January 4, 2007 at 7:37 am

We almost lost Carnegie Hall; we lost Penn Station; casinos are being imploded in Las Vegas almost daily; all the legendary night clubs in Hollywood (Ciro’s, Brown Derby, etc.) have disappeared. We have no sense of history or continuity. It’s the American way.

Ernie Nagy

Bway
Bway on January 4, 2007 at 2:54 am

WHat a sin it is that they allowed the Paramount to be destroyed. They were so foolish back then. Just think, in the 70’s, we almost lost Radio City Music Hall. Unthinkable today, but just imagine, that was the PLAN. The Paramount shouldn’t have been lost either.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 3, 2007 at 5:45 pm

happy sigh
those vintage shots rock. I truly believe I was born in the wrong period sometimes.
And all the times I ate at Ollies I n e v e r realized where I actually WAS!!!!! And the weird part IS…I KNEW there was a Manhattan PARAMOUNT!!!!
Im absoutely ASHAMED of myself (Im a history loving NATIVE for God sake!!)
Lemme put it this way…for those familiar with NYC stuff pertaining to Coney Island. Each year after the Mermaid Parade, theres the fundraiser for Coney Island USA called the Mermaid Parade Ball. This year it was at the building that used to be Henderson’s Music Hall and Restaurant til 1923. Outside the Palace in Manhatan, it was like THE vaudeville house in NYC. The likes of Eddie Cantor, Al Jolson, and Harpo Marx in his debut with the Marx Brothers played there. I do burlesque and vaudeville work. When I heard I was to perform at the Ball in THAT venue…I was awestruck. When I was escorted in the back door to the place, I was just speechless…I could almost feel the spirits of those guys in the house. It was the ultimate feeling of reverence on my part. I just ran my hand up the wall as I climbed the stairs. It was by no means the stage door and stairs, but who CARES!!! I was THERE!!! Inside, when you know where to look, you can see the wall supports for the balcony tiers on the north and south walls on the east interior of the building.
Thats why I was wondering if the PARAMOUNT was a vaudeville house too. I figure…1926 opening with live stage shows…it MIGHT have been.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 3, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Balloonhedz… I stored some of those images in my scrapbook on photobucket.com. Here’s a link to a 2005 shot I took of the retro-marquee canopy and entrance. You can advance through all the photos there by clicking “next” or view all the thumbnails by clicking “see all” just above it.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 2, 2007 at 8:37 pm

yup…the elevators are passenger operated now.
Thanks muchly guys…I got new stuff to do now next time Im up that way. Its unfortunate that a lot of the pix linked from here are dead links.

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2007 at 1:52 am

I think the Hard Rock marquee was where the old theater marquee was, so that would mean the Hard Rock would be about where the lobby was?
Remember, this building was an office building, in addition to a theater even when the theater was still there. The theater area was just made into more offices.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 1, 2007 at 7:05 pm

ok…I know I shoulda read everything before posting…but it was just such a rush to find you guys I had to go with it.
So I have it straight…am I to understand that the entrance under the marquee takes you into the Hard Rock and not the office building lobby?
Im rarely that far uptown, Ive never taken notice of the features of the building until just last week. Now I have to really go look. Dumb question..where is the office building lobby in regard to the HRC/Marquee?

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 1, 2007 at 6:10 pm

Hi guys~
I just developed a fascination with the building. I was on the confetti crew that worked from the 18th floor setback last night. Being a performer myself, I was pumped as hell to find Id be working on that building. Not knowing the theater space had been demolished rather than maybe just reconfigured, I was throroughly confused when we were led from the side entrance on the south side of the place, through the south bank of elevators to the north bank, and didnt see ANYthing that resembled a theater.
Thing is, the elevator lobby looks sooooooo vintage.
Heres my thing….
Lets say that the place was STILL the theater. You walk in through the doors under the marquee. In light of the location of the two banks of elevators as they are right now…where was the theatre and how did you access it from that lobby/those doors?
Also, was it ever a vaudeville house?