Brooklyn Paramount Theatre

385 Flatbush Avenue Extension,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 6:08 am

SNWEB: Would love to revisit the photos posted on Nov. 28, ‘05.

MichaelAnthony: Your post of Nov. 29, 04 was most interesting to read and I hope you can tell us more about your visit!

Patsy
Patsy on January 3, 2007 at 5:21 pm

A friend of mine who lives on Long Island brought this theatre to my attention, again and I’ve been trying to find interior photos that I recall seeing of the gym which also showed the proscenium overhead, but I can’t find them now. If anyone can help, I’d appreciate it.

michaelxavierlundy
michaelxavierlundy on September 9, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I haven spoken with the Provost of the Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus about that, and I believe other people have at least thrown the idea of some kind of theatre restoration for the old Paramount out on the the table. It seems that there really is no interest on the university’s side to restore the facility back into an actual theatre. Now, I have to toss this out to the list. The Paramount Theatre was converted into a gymnasium/athletic center and re-named “Schwartz Athletic Center.”

There is now a brand new athletic center complete with gymnasium and swimming pool around the corner from the building that the Parmount is in that was built for that campus. Also, another theatre, the Krumble Theatre for the Performing Arts was built. Kind of ironic…

Michael Xavier Lundy, House Organist
St. Geroge Theatre, Staten Island, New York

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 9, 2006 at 12:03 pm

Pretty cool. Glad to know that someone is looking after the organ while the future of the building is debated.

I can’t play but would consider it a thrill to hit one key and hear a note echo through the auditorium. I wonder if the alterations to the auditorium over the years (like the classrooms in the balcony) have diminished the sound of the organ at all. Seems like they should fundamentally alter the acoustics.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 8, 2006 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for posting the information, Michael. I shall endeavor to be there! I don’t know if I’ve heard a theater organ played in person since Radio City Music Hall stopped its original program of films and stage shows in the late ‘70’s!

michaelxavierlundy
michaelxavierlundy on September 8, 2006 at 6:33 am

Hello:

I wanted to let everyone know that the Brooklyn Paramount Organ has been repaired and will be played on Saturday, October 28th. There will be a mini-concert by myself, a brief meeting of the New York Theatre Organ Society (NYTOS) and then Open Console.

I know many of you are aware that this organ suffered major damages as a result of the roof collapsing in on two of the chambers, but I am glad to see that the repairs have been made and that the organ is sounding once again. Please check the NYTOS website (www.nytos.org) for more information regarding the activity on October 28th.

-Michael

Michael Xavier Lundy, House Organist
St. George Theatre – Staten Island, NY

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 29, 2006 at 4:56 am

RobertR… that ad is for the B'klyn Fox, not the Paramount.

RobertR
RobertR on August 28, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Porgy & Bess in 1959

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 25, 2006 at 5:52 am

Ij has some items that are certainly appropriate to share on the individual theater pages – including some vintage photos of the Times Square area that he’s posted on a few pages. However, as far as hawking his wares, he should definitely restrain from posting on each theater page and add a link to his site using the feature provided by CT for that very purpose.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 24, 2006 at 6:49 pm

I’m not buying anything from ij’s collection, but I thought there were several interesting items that I enjoyed looking at.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on July 24, 2006 at 7:41 am

Just a wild thought: is “Cinema Treasures” a fancy acronym for “eBay?”

Nah. Didn’t think so.

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 24, 2006 at 12:53 am

The above post is by “Irajoel” who is just polluting this theatre’s page as he has many others here. It is a pity that he cares nothing for the theatres but only for his own profit. Others speaking here have some nobility of purpose, but not such huckstrers! To patronize such greedy and brazen merchants is to do a DISservice to us all. If only there were a way to block such spammers!

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 11:01 am

I’m posting nice movie material that are also mostly for sale.

you can also view my entire inventory at
www.cinemagebooks.com
I have over 5,000 items including many books in non-film such as
gay and lesbian, African American, posters, graphic design, fiction, poetry and much more.
posted by ij on Jul 23, 2006 at 1:52pm

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 6, 2006 at 12:18 pm

That is a great one! I just wish the rail car was not in the way.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on July 6, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Here’s a color shot of the marquee c.1948 featuring “The Paleface,” starring Bob Hope and Jane Russell:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 6, 2006 at 7:17 am

I still have hope.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 6, 2006 at 6:36 am

Just looking at the photo Warren posted in Feb of this year. Looks like the Brooklyn Paramount along with the Chi Paradise were the two most beautiful movie palaces ever built in the US. From the black and white photos I’ve seen of them to have actually been in them in their glory days almost seems like too much.

kerryrichards
kerryrichards on June 20, 2006 at 7:30 pm

I was there on Sunday and I spent about two hours wandering around inside and out. I had dinner at Junior’s across the street then wandered over.

1. The first thing on the exterior you notice is that the fire escapes are all removed. Then you can see the stagehouse it was small, but had flyspace. On the inside you can see the stage was not that deep I’d say about 20 feet! I find this really surprising, so it must have been built mainly for movies.

2. The original plasterwork, procenuim, and ceilings are all still there, and in remarkable condition.

3. LIU has removed the mezzanine, most of the balcony seating, and has retained the lobby as a restaurant.

4. They have tried to utilize as much of the space as possible. The mezzanine level doors to the old boxes are now small offices. The stagehouse flyspace area has been floored in and that space used up. The stage entrance and associated rooms are now the LIU securuty department.

5. The balcony has been walled into the existing space and converted to classrooms retaining some of the the original upper balcony seating area.

6. The stairways to the upper areas of the theatre have been removed and the connected office building is now used to get upstairs.

7. The lobby is in great shape, and the grand staircase to the mezzanine is still there.

The space is remarkable, but I think it is very unlikely it will ever be restored. The stage is too tiny for todays use, and the abutting buildings seem to prevent any expansion.

I then drove up Flatbush to look at the Kings, how depressing!

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on June 12, 2006 at 2:24 pm

What a theater! What a building!

Located on the downtown side of Fort Greene Park (and Brooklyn Hospital where I made my own earthly debut way too many years ago), the Brooklyn Paramount on that corner, across Flatbush Ave. Extension and Junior’s Restaurant with its sinful luscious cheese cake), was a landmark. Still is.

The Brooklyn Paramount was also the site, I believe, of a number of Alan Freed Rock ‘n’ Roll shows at Easter and Christmas. (Freed, one of the best deejays Cleveland ever sent us, was convicted in ‘60 by a Senate sub-committee for payola practices – which were standard practice in the industry at that time! – and fired from his nighttime spot at WINS radio. He died penniless in Florida in '65. Meanwhile, his stage shows were taken over by Murray the K Kaufmann, also the self-proclaimed “5th Beatle,” now also deceased.)

Recall seeing “The Blob” there in 1958. There was even a 45 of the title tune released by the 5 Blobs on Columbia. Don’t remember ever hearing it on 1010 WINS, but I still have a mint DJ copy of it!

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 7, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Nice one. What a roof sign!

RobertR
RobertR on April 10, 2006 at 7:09 am

A story from the day after the closing

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 7, 2006 at 4:26 am

Thanks Warren. I thought so, but I wasn’t sure if that retrofit had been complete by summer ‘62. I suppose any further discussion of this fact should continue on the Capitol’s page, but it’s incredible that more than half of the Capitol’s original seating was concealed behind draperies.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 6, 2006 at 11:31 am

The article cites the Paramount’s 4144 seating capacity as being “second only to Radio City” in NYC. What about the Loew’s Capitol on Broadway? Had they already curtained off large chunks of seating for the Capitol’s conversion to Cinerama by the summer of 1962?