Brooklyn Paramount Theatre

385 Flatbush Avenue Extension,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 5, 2007 at 4:16 pm

You’re welcome, Patsy; however they are not my photos, I was speeding around the web and found them.

Patsy
Patsy on January 5, 2007 at 2:49 pm

The second photo shows a group of people standing on the gym floor. I wonder if they are there for a basketball game or to see the “theatre”? If I had ever gone to a game in that GYM, I would have had to tape my mouth shut for I would have been very vocal about what L.I.U did and not be so much concerned about the outcome of any game going on!

Patsy
Patsy on January 5, 2007 at 2:45 pm

dave-bronx: Thank you thank you thank you as I just knew that some CT member would have photos to share with us! The first one almost took my breathe away when I could finally see the theatre part high above the gym part. I hope and pray that returning this space back to the beautiful theatre it once was….is DO-ABLE! Thank you again for the photos!!!

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on January 5, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Some recent photos of the Bkln Paramount:

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 4, 2007 at 7:02 pm

I hope it will too Patsy. But it will be a long road back if it does. Not an impossible road, but certainly a long one.

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 2:23 pm

This is a wonderful link to Rosa Rio who used to play the organ at the Brooklyn Paramount and the link says that she lives in FL and plays the organ at the Tampa Theatre now. Also, this Sunday Jan. 7th is the 80th anniversary open house for the Tampa Theatre. If anyone is near Tampa, they should most definitely GO! I went to the 75th anniversary at the Fox in Atlanta and it was a very memorable day!

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 2:13 pm

After reading the many posts about this theatre turned gym I would like to think that this gym will now be returned to the grand theatre that it once was. Can anyone give us some updated information about this ‘hopeful’ idea?

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2007 at 6:08 am

SNWEB: Would love to revisit the photos posted on Nov. 28, ‘05.

MichaelAnthony: Your post of Nov. 29, 04 was most interesting to read and I hope you can tell us more about your visit!

Patsy
Patsy on January 3, 2007 at 5:21 pm

A friend of mine who lives on Long Island brought this theatre to my attention, again and I’ve been trying to find interior photos that I recall seeing of the gym which also showed the proscenium overhead, but I can’t find them now. If anyone can help, I’d appreciate it.

michaelxavierlundy
michaelxavierlundy on September 9, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I haven spoken with the Provost of the Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus about that, and I believe other people have at least thrown the idea of some kind of theatre restoration for the old Paramount out on the the table. It seems that there really is no interest on the university’s side to restore the facility back into an actual theatre. Now, I have to toss this out to the list. The Paramount Theatre was converted into a gymnasium/athletic center and re-named “Schwartz Athletic Center.”

There is now a brand new athletic center complete with gymnasium and swimming pool around the corner from the building that the Parmount is in that was built for that campus. Also, another theatre, the Krumble Theatre for the Performing Arts was built. Kind of ironic…

Michael Xavier Lundy, House Organist
St. Geroge Theatre, Staten Island, New York

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 9, 2006 at 12:03 pm

Pretty cool. Glad to know that someone is looking after the organ while the future of the building is debated.

I can’t play but would consider it a thrill to hit one key and hear a note echo through the auditorium. I wonder if the alterations to the auditorium over the years (like the classrooms in the balcony) have diminished the sound of the organ at all. Seems like they should fundamentally alter the acoustics.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 8, 2006 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for posting the information, Michael. I shall endeavor to be there! I don’t know if I’ve heard a theater organ played in person since Radio City Music Hall stopped its original program of films and stage shows in the late ‘70’s!

michaelxavierlundy
michaelxavierlundy on September 8, 2006 at 6:33 am

Hello:

I wanted to let everyone know that the Brooklyn Paramount Organ has been repaired and will be played on Saturday, October 28th. There will be a mini-concert by myself, a brief meeting of the New York Theatre Organ Society (NYTOS) and then Open Console.

I know many of you are aware that this organ suffered major damages as a result of the roof collapsing in on two of the chambers, but I am glad to see that the repairs have been made and that the organ is sounding once again. Please check the NYTOS website (www.nytos.org) for more information regarding the activity on October 28th.

-Michael

Michael Xavier Lundy, House Organist
St. George Theatre – Staten Island, NY

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 29, 2006 at 4:56 am

RobertR… that ad is for the B'klyn Fox, not the Paramount.

RobertR
RobertR on August 28, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Porgy & Bess in 1959

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 25, 2006 at 5:52 am

Ij has some items that are certainly appropriate to share on the individual theater pages – including some vintage photos of the Times Square area that he’s posted on a few pages. However, as far as hawking his wares, he should definitely restrain from posting on each theater page and add a link to his site using the feature provided by CT for that very purpose.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 24, 2006 at 6:49 pm

I’m not buying anything from ij’s collection, but I thought there were several interesting items that I enjoyed looking at.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on July 24, 2006 at 7:41 am

Just a wild thought: is “Cinema Treasures” a fancy acronym for “eBay?”

Nah. Didn’t think so.

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 24, 2006 at 12:53 am

The above post is by “Irajoel” who is just polluting this theatre’s page as he has many others here. It is a pity that he cares nothing for the theatres but only for his own profit. Others speaking here have some nobility of purpose, but not such huckstrers! To patronize such greedy and brazen merchants is to do a DISservice to us all. If only there were a way to block such spammers!

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 11:01 am

I’m posting nice movie material that are also mostly for sale.

you can also view my entire inventory at
www.cinemagebooks.com
I have over 5,000 items including many books in non-film such as
gay and lesbian, African American, posters, graphic design, fiction, poetry and much more.
posted by ij on Jul 23, 2006 at 1:52pm

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 6, 2006 at 12:18 pm

That is a great one! I just wish the rail car was not in the way.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on July 6, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Here’s a color shot of the marquee c.1948 featuring “The Paleface,” starring Bob Hope and Jane Russell:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 6, 2006 at 7:17 am

I still have hope.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 6, 2006 at 6:36 am

Just looking at the photo Warren posted in Feb of this year. Looks like the Brooklyn Paramount along with the Chi Paradise were the two most beautiful movie palaces ever built in the US. From the black and white photos I’ve seen of them to have actually been in them in their glory days almost seems like too much.