Beverly Center 13 Cinemas

8522 Beverly Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

WayBackWhen2008
WayBackWhen2008 on June 6, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Can anyone confirm or deny that the the theatre has closed down?

BradE41
BradE41 on August 8, 2007 at 5:16 pm

The Cineplex Beverly Center worked in the 80’s. It was a hip place to see films. I saw many Indie Films first run there during the 1980’s. Films like Parting Glances, Mike’s Murder (brief exclusive re-issue), Educating Rita, My Beautiful Laundrette, Dance with a Stranger and just above any other avant-garde film from that ERA. It was long before Sunset 5 came along and the Beverly Center was part of 80’s pop culture. Time was not nice to the Theatre and The Beverly Center. When Pacific and AMC started building larger multiplexes it was not cool to sit in a theatre that was the size of a mini-van. Mann probably has very affordable rent or perhaps is just booking it for the shopping center so it could stay open. I understand the MANN emblem is not anywhere on the marque.

markinthedark
markinthedark on June 12, 2007 at 2:07 pm

This happened to me when I saw “Girl With the Pearl Earring”. Except it was the reverse in a top-masking auditorium so there was open screen above and below the 2.35:1 projected image. They did come in and fix it without anyone asking.

It is a wonder it is open in a town like this when better theatres in the area have been shuttered. Mann must have a good deal with the mall in order to keep the place open. Their ticket prices are lower the other Mann theatres, however, making it a quasi-first run/second run theatre.

Funnily I am always amused coming here (only under dire cirqumstances, like when it was the last place in LA that “Flags of Our Fathers” was still playing). Its like seeing a bad car crash, a museum of bad cinema design. I do have to hand it to Cineplex Odeon, even though all their builds were generally crappy grey and purple shoe boxes with bad slope, bad line of sight, bad light reflective painted grey walls in auditoriums, (the list goes on), they ALWAYS at least had Dolby Stereo in all their theatres, something which many crummy shoeboxes of the 70’s and 80’s did not have.

mistertopps
mistertopps on June 12, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I think it’s actually kind of incredible that a theatre this crappy can still stay in business in los angeles of all places. How they can charge full price for 2nd run films is beyond me. The first and last time i went to this theatre was to see Mean Creek. In an auditorium of maybe 40-50 seats and with a screen maybe 8 feet wide. But the kicker is that they were projecting it in the wrong aspect ratio— they had the masking set to 2.35, and in closeups everyone’s heads (and eyes) were getting cut off. It was a Thursday PM screening, so I can only imagine that it was projected this way for the entire week. When I went to complain, they actually didn’t know what the words “aspect ratio” meant, but at least they fixed it.

reluctantpopstar
reluctantpopstar on May 3, 2007 at 2:11 am

Ugh, I saw a few movies when I lived nearby this horrible theater, but after a while I couldn’t stand the tiny screens/theatres and stopped going there. Then I switched over to the newly opened Hollywood Galaxy, now closed. Did see David Bowie and Iman coming out of a show one time at the BC.

That tiny theatre has a screen only slightly larger than the one I use at home for my video projector! Yikes. And I only counted 51 seats in that photo.

William
William on June 30, 2006 at 5:31 am

The problem with your idea of Pacific taking over the National would not work because of the zoning in Westwood area. Because you are stuck with a large single screen theatre and can not add extra screens because of the zoning. That’s why no one has added new theatres to that market.

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 24, 2006 at 9:53 am

What irks me is that Mann added this pit to their roster, but is getting rid of the National, one of the best theatres in LA. If I were King, Pacific would take over the National and give it the Arclight treatment just like they did the dome.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 24, 2006 at 9:43 am

Either Mann needs to upgrade this place or put it out of its misery.

Mark Tufiftee
Mark Tufiftee on March 2, 2006 at 12:24 am

I watched “Tamara” in auditorium 2. I was very happy to see the place back in business, it looks like it’s had a thorough cleaning. One thing that made me sad though, the extra concession in the hallway leading to the big rooms is gone, there’s just a wall there now.

BradE41
BradE41 on February 13, 2006 at 12:54 pm

Perhaps they are putting very little into now with plans later on for a renovation. They probably took over the least to have the lease. If they could gutt out the place and build nicer and bigger screens they could have something.

jmarellano
jmarellano on February 11, 2006 at 7:44 pm

I went today to see “Good Night And Good Luck”.

Was in auditorium 3. The big theatres had Munich and King Kong I beleive.
Most of the movies are older movies. business was dead. Five people in my theatre, about 12 or so around the entire complex.

Mann cleaned up the place though. Still looks the same however.
New seat covers in the theatres(a nice bright red), cup holders behind the seats , new carpets, and a clean look for a 20+ year old theatre. Floors were nice and clean.

restroom had new stalls.

Also, no Mann signage anywhere. The old Cineplex Odeon logo was replaced with a generic “Beverly Center 13 Theatres” sign. They have new letters for the marquee. No more showtimes on there. they put a small board over the box office window with showtimes (like any mann theatre)

Presentation and sound was good.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on February 10, 2006 at 4:30 pm

It’s now listed on Mann’s website. I’m going to ask the CinemaTreasures folks to update the status and chain.

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 10, 2006 at 7:00 am

Anyone know what changes or upgrades have been done by Mann if any. It reopened very quickly…

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on February 10, 2006 at 6:25 am

Based on a few online movie-times sites I’ve seen, this is reopening today as a Mann theatre. Can someone confirm this from, say, today’s LA Times ad? (It is not yet on Mann’s website.)

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 7, 2006 at 12:45 pm

Photos posted here:

Taken a few months prior to closing. I counted a whopping 67 seats in that small auditorium.

William
William on February 7, 2006 at 12:24 pm

Give it alittle time, it’s only been a week or so. All the screens on the main floor of that plex need tobe gutted, so better theatres can be made. All to replace all of that crap equipment in the booths. I worked that theatre many times and the equipment was just wore out.

BradE41
BradE41 on February 7, 2006 at 11:37 am

I hope if MANN does take over the space they gut it out a build some nice screens. Wasn’t Pacific going to build more screens at the Grove?

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on February 7, 2006 at 3:09 am

So what is happening to this theatre? On another page, someone linked to an article claiming that Mann would take it over.

sjs1234
sjs1234 on February 6, 2006 at 3:47 pm

The Cineplex Beverly Center 14 was the original configuration when they opened back in 1982. Sometime in 1986 the theater underwent a major renovation. When Cineplex added the 2 five hundred seat theaters upstairs they re configured the original 14 theaters downstairs to 11. They made some of the original small theaters larger.By the time they finished the renovation, the Beverly Center was just 13 screens.

jmarellano
jmarellano on January 28, 2006 at 7:39 pm

Also, The Beverly Center website has taken the theatre off the site.

jmarellano
jmarellano on January 28, 2006 at 7:35 pm

maybe someone who worked there could solve this. If you look on the marquee on CinemaTour, you can see space for what was a 14th theatre.

markinthedark
markinthedark on January 28, 2006 at 6:10 pm

Interesting. Anyone know what happened to the 14th Screen? Perhaps a wall was broken through because the largest house had well over 200 as well as the 2nd largest (the 2 screens on the 9th floor, both with balconies).

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 28, 2006 at 4:17 pm

More from that July 21, 1982 NYTimes article:

“There are 14 movie screens tucked away on the eighth floor of the Beverly Center mall in West Hollywood, not by any means a world record. Cineplex, proprietor of the 14 theaters, holds the Guinness record for its 21-screen complex in Toronto.

“The 14 theaters in the Beverly Center have about 1650 seats. The largest theater has about 200, the smallest 75. Films can be mixed and matched like clothing separates because automated equipment allows one print of a movie to be shown in as many as six theaters at a time….

“Three projectionists are needed to run the 14 projectors. Fourteen projectors are needed, rather than the usual two per theater, because the film is spliced into one continuous loop. It spools onto immense silver platters and never has to be rewound. In the immense rectangular projection booth, black ribbons of film are looped along the walls like live party decorations.

“A computerized system that allows tickets to be bought hours in advance for any performance the same day eliminates waiting in line; the Art Deco concession stand has added cappucino, Perrier, and Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut Bar to the usual popcorn, hot dogs, and M&M’s.”

The article lists some of the films showing on opening weekend:

The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball (on three screens with 350 seats)
Don’s Party (on two screens with 200 seats)
Garde a Vue
A Week’s Vacation
Quest for Fire
Chariots of Fire
Author! Author!
Firefox

BradE41
BradE41 on January 27, 2006 at 5:58 am

There is no listing for the Theatre in today’s L.A. Times so I am assuming it is now gone. The theatre WILL NOT be missed; it really sucked.

markinthedark
markinthedark on January 27, 2006 at 5:33 am

Probably just a misprint…