Million Dollar Theatre

307 South Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90013

RATV2007
RATV2007 on September 8, 2007 at 7:09 pm

The Million Dollar will be operating very soon…
We will present award winning film movies, International artists, Latin Music, pop, rock bands our own Million Dollar Ballet and orchestra…We will mantein the high standard of quality some future events includes the Official Latin Venue for the Oscar night* on February 24 2008.

We invite the fans of The Million Dollar to check a preview web page on http://www.myspace.com/elmilliondollar

For TICKETS and season pass email

Regards

Raul Alberto

President

Latin Market

for “El Million Dollar”

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on September 7, 2007 at 8:05 am

I got inside again today!! I had a group of tourists from Ireland and just as I was giving my “the oldest movie palace still standing” spiel, the gates of the theatre opened and we were able to go inside. The lobby is still undergoing renovations – still laying new tile and the ceiling still needs a few touch ups, but the auditorium appears to be finished for the time being. The main floor has new carpet and the lighting is perfect to accentuate the newly painted walls. They’ve also hung red drapes on the side walls of the auditorium to add a new layer to the space without spending a boatload of cash. All traces of that dammed church have been wiped clean of the interior, and the theatre is ready for a new phase in it’s history. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with how this renovation job has come off. I know several people were a bit apprehensive with the news that the theatre was going to have major work done, but I feel that the management has a good clear vision, and all is well.

LawMann
LawMann on August 29, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Greg thanks for the update as a good many of us are waiting for this historic theatre to re-open.

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on August 11, 2007 at 9:02 am

I talked my way into the theatre again this week by approaching Robert Voskanian, the theatres manager who was standing beneath the marque. He was very eager to walk me around the theatre auditorium and it looked fantastic – the best I’ve ever seen it. The ceiling still has the same water damage as it’s always had, but that kind of work costs millions to repair. The thing that I was most interested in was the lobby dome. Voskanian said that when they had started the project that one of their plans was to restore the original lobby dome from 1918. He said that they brought in several different specialists to survey the area, but that they all said that it would cost too much to be done at this time. I have a feeling that down the road when the theatre has had the opportunity to generate some income, that the smaller details such as that will be dealth with. I’m just glad to see the theatre alive with activity and the smell of fresh paint rather then of must and dust.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2007 at 8:38 pm

This is the back of the building in July 2007:

cynbel02
cynbel02 on July 24, 2007 at 8:03 am

Urgent…Please help! My father, Alfredo Mendoza was a Mexican entertainer and performed there with his late aunt famous Mexican singer Amalia Mendoza sometime in the 1960’s or 70’s. Can anyone please tell me where or how I can find photo or film archives on performances held at the Million Dollar Theatre. I am researching my fathers career and could use your assistance. Please contact me at Thanks

Carolina

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2007 at 12:41 am

Looks like my link is still holding up, three days later. That’s encouraging.

Here is a small ad in the LA Times dated 5/6/39. Thankfully times have changed for the better:

MILLION $ 2ND BIG WEEK
Premiere of Stage and Screen
“Blackberries of 1940"
40 Sizzling Brown Skin Beauties

plus 2 First Run Features

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 11, 2007 at 5:08 am

Here is a photo from the Library of Congress:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 26, 2007 at 10:18 pm

It is a great building. Rent DOA (the original) or Blade Runner for a look at the inside, or just go there if you’re in LA. Sometimes they charge to get in and walk around, sometimes they don’t. It depends on the current administration.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 26, 2007 at 3:35 pm

Just so visitors to this site know, the Bradbury, though not a theater, is a wonderful historic building that can be visited:

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on June 26, 2007 at 3:15 pm

I’m sorry…. I work in the Bradbury, and was able to get into the Million Dollar Theatre – ugh, I’m having a senior moment and I’m only 26!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 26, 2007 at 3:03 am

You’re talking about the theater, right? The Bradbury is across the street. Not being picky, just clarifying.

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on June 26, 2007 at 2:41 am

I was at the downtown office this week, and I was able to get into the Bradbury playing the “I’m a tour guide/member of the LAC’s historical theatres committee” crap…. Well…. The auditorium looked okay – painted red, gold, and cream. The lights were down save for these red lights on for accent… The Lobby on the other hand….. As I posted above, they have removed the 1950s drop ceiling, but they have placed a rather ugly gold pressed tin ceiling in it’s placed and have hung ugly lamps…. I’m hoping that once this theatre is open and making money, that they’ll do a full lobby restoration at a later date….

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 5, 2007 at 12:47 am

This is a 1923 ad that includes the Million Dollar Theater.

LAOPERAMAN
LAOPERAMAN on June 3, 2007 at 5:29 am

I was in the theatre lobby this morning conducting a tour and saw that the drop ceiling and round lights added in the 1950s has been removed. Near that front door the 1940s round dome has been un-covered and is being restored. I couldn’t get my group into the auditorium, but I could see that the underside of the balcony has been re-painted a Maroon-ish color. I hope to try to sneak in next Saturday.

delarosamark
delarosamark on June 3, 2007 at 1:07 am

Hello – My name is Mark Anthony De La Rosa and I am the Grand Son of Adolfo (Al) De La Rosa, also known as “El Gordo De La Rosa.” He worked directly for Frank Fouce in the 1950’s and managed the Million Dollar Theatre and was also responsible for booking and bringing various Latin Talent from all over Latin America to include Pedro Infante, Jorge Negrete, Pedro Vargas, Cantinflas, La Bomba Atomica and various others to the United States. Please advise if you knew my Grand Father; if so, I would like to hear some stories or you may have some pictures that you may be willing to share. My Grand Father passed away on December 5th, 1968 (before I was born). I do look forward to your response. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Mark A. De La Rosa

P.s. I can be reached at

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 22, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I guess a million is appropriate, given the name of the theater.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 22, 2007 at 2:44 am

I suppose it could have taken them a while to bring the sign down. There is no reason they really had to. If anyone inquired they could’ve said that the theatre is under contract, and a lot of time wouldn’t have been wasted.

The other thing is that I imagine it doesn’t really take that long to spend a million dollars on renovation, despite what instinct might lead you to believe.

If it were a pain-staking restoration, which I don’t get the feeling it is, I could see how the time span you are discussing might seem odd.

My two cents.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 22, 2007 at 1:53 am

They had a “for lease” sign out front a few months ago. I didn’t know all this renovation was going on inside. Who is paying for all this?

Homeboy
Homeboy on May 22, 2007 at 1:36 am

From Downtown News, May 21, 2007: “The legendary theater at Third Street and Broadway, built by Sid Grauman, is being renovated and will reopen in June, said manager Robert Voskanian. The Million Dollar Theatre, which seats more than 2,000 people, will host film screenings, movie premieres, stage performances and concerts. Voskanian said the next phase of the renovation includes replacing the carpet, drapes and some electrical repairs. The theater has been completely repainted and is awaiting a shipment of gold tiles for the lobby, which will house an upscale concession stand. The $1 million-plus refurbishment is more than halfway complete, said Voskanian.”

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 18, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Here is a 1987 photo from the UCLA collection:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 11, 2007 at 12:52 am

The blade looks the same in this 1950 photo:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 11, 2007 at 12:40 am

Here is a 1984 photo. The blade looks a little different:

RATV2007
RATV2007 on April 27, 2007 at 2:42 am

The Million Dollar is back.! Soon Latin Cinema Award winning movies * with subtitles available in english

more info for tickets

fri-sat-sun. Wed and Thu Latin Music acts , arts paint and special events.

We welcome all fans to support the renovated Million Dollar