St. George Theatre

25 Hyatt Street,
St. George, NY 10301

nlttak
nlttak on November 14, 2004 at 9:08 am

Hi: For whatever it’s worth, The St George Theatre Wurlitzer organ console is now in a private home in Arlington Minnesota. It would be really nice to see it eventually returned to the theatre. It’s been around the country. First it was reinstalled in a pizza restaurant in Texas, then to a private home in Ontario, CA. then to Century Pipe Organs in Minneaplis and finally sold to Lawrence Crawford of Arlington MN. Best wishes: Terry Kleven…

Jean
Jean on November 14, 2004 at 4:44 am

Saps,

I have introduced the new owners to the gentleman who plays the organ ( a 1928 Wurlitzer ) and shows classic films at the Union County Arts Center in Rahway, NJ. They should be meeting this week to discuss classic films, etc. I am also trying to get an organ for the St. George as well. If you are in NYC ( staten Island ), why don’t you come to the theatre’s 75th gala anniversary, December 4th? For more information, visit their web site. In addition, should you wish to see more photos of the theatre’s interior, feel free to e-mail me.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 14, 2004 at 12:36 am

What’s the latest on the classic film series? I’d love to see a great old movie in a great old theater.

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on October 13, 2004 at 4:20 pm

The theatre will not be sold.

ghost6873
ghost6873 on October 13, 2004 at 1:24 pm

If you haven’t already don so, you guys better get this theatre its landmarks status. There are plans in the works for someone to buy it back from Rosemary, at a sum that she may not resist, and to level the entire block to make way for a tall residential tower, as well as commercial space. It is inevitable that a building will go up next door, but do not allow the theatre to be vulnerable!

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on October 8, 2004 at 10:26 pm

Hi Jean,
Vito, Please contact us at the theatre regarding classic movie series, we want to get this going.
Peter, Please contact us at the theatre regarding classic movie series. We need your assistance.

thanks
Doreen
718-442-2900

Jean
Jean on September 23, 2004 at 10:56 am

Yes Mike, but seeing IS believing. One has to go inside to appreciate the true grandeur and splendor of this theatre.

I am so glad the theatre is FINALLY open to tour goers of Staten Island and the St. George area. Hip, hip, hooray for Mrs. Rosemary and her family!

YMike
YMike on September 23, 2004 at 7:17 am

In the Brooklyn section of today’s NY Daily News there is a nice picture of the balcony of this theatre. Is that what it looks like now?

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on September 16, 2004 at 8:04 pm

I do hope the plans for films come through. For an idea of the types of shows you might want to consider running, check out two film classics series that are currently running in the New York/New Jersey area:

Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre, Suffern, NY – www.bigscreenclassics.com (this is the series that I run)

The Movie Palace Experience – at the Union County Arts Center (Rahway Theatre), Rahway, NJ – www.ucac.org (Bernie Anderson is in charge of this series)

Feel free to contact me if you’d like any assistance.

Pete Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre

Garth
Garth on September 16, 2004 at 5:53 pm

recently i again toured the theatre, ms rosemary is doing a spectacular job.like vito, i would very much appreciate an occasional classic movie night.the thought of seeing a film in this venue is very exciting,perhaps it could be once a month or so….

Vito
Vito on September 6, 2004 at 11:09 am

Thank God!
Doreen, the red valance above the stage curtain can also be lowered for cleaning. I cleaned it as best I could. I’m off to Hawaii, where I lived for 10 years, see you in about two weeks.

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on September 6, 2004 at 10:52 am

Stage curtain is still there and in working condition!!!!

Vito
Vito on September 6, 2004 at 5:22 am

I am comcerned about the speaker system. The one removed was an
Altec model A4 Voice of the Theatre with two 15" woofers and a hi Frequency horn loaded in an 800 lb cabinet. If anyone knows were we might get a speaker of that type please let us know. I just hope my Altec Lansing poer amplifiers are still in the booth. Doreen, you did not mention the red stage curtain, is it still there?

Jean
Jean on September 5, 2004 at 9:05 pm

Hi Doreen,

I KNEW of the hole in the usher’s dressing room. As a matter of fact, I got on hands and knees to pull stuff in that was inside that hole. Some of the items were tattered ushers uniforms, a wallet, iron items, pieces of signs, and plenty of liquor bottles! :) Did you see the Snow White cardboard ad that was found and the Lifesaver’s display? Some of the stuff is really great. Other items are difficult to decipher. The graffitti was there from earlier times ( probably the 70’s ). Other than that I know very little except for what you told me.

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on September 4, 2004 at 7:39 pm

JEAN,
SHE (AND YOU KNOW WHO I’M REFERRING TO) CLEARED THE STAGE OF EVERYTHING. THE ONLY THING SHE LEFT US WAS JUNK! You have no idea of the damage she has cost us: every seat in the front mezz. was slit, the marble mantel and wall in the orchestra was torn to pieces, grafitti in every restroom, holes in dressing room walls, the roof was neglected and will cost us millions to repair interior dome, hole in the center of the stage, I could go on and on — BLATANT VANDALISM DONE BY THE CARETAKER HERSELF!!!!!!

YOU FAIL TO REALIZE THAT WE ARE ONLY WORKING WITH THE BEST IN THE THEATE AND RESTORATION BUSINESS. Of course, we are restoring the phone booths and they will be working soon.
As to the items you mentioned, anything of value was saved but whatever is gone was gone before we took over. Please keep in mind that we are restoring this magificient theatre because we LOVE it and have many fond memories of it as native Staten Islanders. The theatre’s best interest is always our upmost priority.

Vito,
Yes, the screen is still there. We look forward to meeting with you to start a movie series soon.
Doreen

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 3, 2004 at 11:51 am

Thanks so much Warren. I’ll add those to the listings.

That’s probably the case with the Orpheum. The sign on the facade makes no mention of movies.

Thanks again!

Bob

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on September 3, 2004 at 11:03 am

This message is for Warren, and this is the only way that I could contact him.

It appears from your posts that you have some old issues of Film Daily. I’m trying to get some additional information for a few NJ theaters that I recently posted. They include the Orpheum in Paterson; the Palace in Passaic, and the Strand in Clifton. If it’s not too much trouble, could you please tell me the listed seating capacity for these theaters?

Many thanks!

Bob

Vito
Vito on September 3, 2004 at 10:27 am

Doreen, is the screen still there?

Vito
Vito on September 3, 2004 at 9:49 am

Well, that is not good new about the speaker. Jean is right, it would take a lot to get it out of the building. However the previous owners (renters) were very desperate for money and I guess stole it. I am very concerned now about what they took out of the booth. I had a complete sound system in the booth which I had upgraded with the help of friends in the industry. I worry now it’s also gone. I will have to take inventory when I get back. I never should have trusted Stephine and her band of thiefs, trouble is I discovered too late what she was up to. Did they take the stage curtain?

Jean
Jean on September 3, 2004 at 8:54 am

Yes Doreen, the speaker WAS there before you took the “helm.” I wonder how a HUGE speaker could just disapear? I had posted a magazine page with photos of ceramic fountains above the fountain in the lobby so people touring the theatre could see other styles. In the Staten Island Advance article about the theatre’s opening in 1929, it discusses the colors of the theatre’s usherette’s costumes, as well as where the statuary was. There was a huge one in the inside the theatre in a niche but I have yet to figure out where that would have been. Perhaps where your mom’s desk is today? ( Near where the phone booths are?) The article discusses the tapestries throughout. Did you notice the lion’s head hooks by the upstairs bathroom? Do you think you can get those booths operating again? They are a GREAT piece of history and I would hate to lose them. The architectural items I discussed earlier were located upstairs in a room near the usher’s room. The items were pieces of statues and iron items like chair parts and light parts. Maybe they can be displayed at a later date? I hope yo saved all the postes that were in the transoms, as well as the “Children’s Only Section” sign. These are ALL great items that can be displayed in a minni museum maybe downstairs(?)
I hope you will get good news within the next week or so regarding the organ.

How soon should one purchase a ticket for the 75th anniversary? I would LOVE to be there.

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on September 2, 2004 at 9:25 pm

Jean,
When did you use that huge speaker — Before we took over? We installed a speaker system—is that what your referring to? The lights in the basement were all inspectected by our tech director and highly qualified theatre engineers. Anything of use was saved. We also lucked out and got a great deal on lights recently. Once phase 2 of electrical updating is complete, we can make use of them. We also spent in the tens of thousands installing stage lights that was completed in June. The fountains have been cleaned, and inspected by our plumbing contractor, Richmond Pl. We’ve been hounding him lately about them, because he said he would get them working for us. In all time that theatre will shine from top to bottom…it all takes time…and money.
Doreen
Doreen

Jean
Jean on September 2, 2004 at 5:51 pm

Doreen, I KNOW I saw ONE of the theatre’s huge speakers on stage. Matter of fact, we played a cd I made of organ music from that speaker and it sounded great. In addition, there is a room in the basement FULL of lighting equipment. Surely you must have seen it? As for Vito, I am sure he will be of great help to you and the theatre. I KNOW there are other qualified persons who would want to help out as well. The last time I was there, the fountains were not operating. Have they been repaired to working order yet? What happened to all the items that were found under the orchestra seats in the basement crawlspace? I know I for one, went on my hands and knees pulling out old statuary and iron items once belonging to chairs and lights that adorned the theatre walls. I hope these items were not discarded. Maybe they can be put on display if not incorporated in to the theatre’s resoration?

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on September 2, 2004 at 5:27 pm

Vito,
We haven’t touched the projection room. Everything should be in there from day one. As far are your speaker system, I have a feeling it’s gone. The past owners removed everything from the stage. We found it completely empty with no lights nor speakers when we arrived. You’ll have to stop in for the status. Look forward to your visit when you return.
Doreen

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2004 at 1:06 pm

Doreen, I worked for 45 years in theatre exibition. I know several film buyers (bookers) who can give us all the info we need to procure films. I am going on vacation on Monday for two weeks but will start contacting people immediately thereafter and find out what I can. Booking the films is fairly simple, there are many markets which supply classic films in 35mm. Last time I was in the booth everything was working fine, I do wonder however if anyone has
been up there to undue some of my work. In addition, I installed a Voice Of the Theatre A4 speaker system and hope it is still there. I last saw it stage left covered in cloth. The wire connecting to the projection booth is attached to the screen, which had been bolted to the ceiling for safety sake, but the screen once the bolts are removed can be lowered and it is in very good condition. It should be the second fly to the right of the one marked “Rag” which is the
main curtain. Incidently, the curtain is capable of not only going up/down it can, since it is two panels, work as a travel curtain.
the rigging just needs to be replaced. I will talk more to you about this upon my return, meanwhile I encourage anyone else intersted in getting classic movies back to the St George contact Doreen

owneroftheatre
owneroftheatre on September 1, 2004 at 12:32 pm

We would love to show classic films for children as well as adults. Personally, I wouldn’t know who to contact to get these classic films, nor do I know what it entails.
We need a qualified person to run the show as this is not our specialty. Any interested parties should contact me at the theatre 718-442-2900.
We would love to have a series of films run weekly or monthly.

Doreen