Marboro Theatre

6817 Bay Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

MarkW
MarkW on May 31, 2004 at 8:48 pm

The Marboro has recently been sealed by the FDNY. Regal has made NO ATTEMPTS to seal this theater. The interior has been vandalized heavily. The lack of heat has caused the plaster ceiling in the balcony to collapse in many places. Whatever they plan to do, DO IT SOON!

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on May 29, 2004 at 4:45 pm

The Marboro theatre will reopen in 2006 with stadium seating, Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound and a brand new interior, this has been confirmed by the Regal Entertainment Group Construction Department. A much needed and missed theatre will be coming back to serve the residents of Bensonhurst Brooklyn!

YMike
YMike on May 18, 2004 at 5:20 am

It is going to be a Kohls. The signs are already there.

RobertR
RobertR on May 17, 2004 at 10:43 am

The building behind Best Way was looked at by a few chains for a theatre but the rent and lease situation was more then a theatre could justify.

fred1
fred1 on May 17, 2004 at 9:02 am

i think its going to be a kohls dept store but i love the idea of a theatre

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on May 17, 2004 at 8:38 am

Any new news on this theatre?

I really do not think Regal will re-open it.. in their eyes, people can go to the Sheepshead.

Also, there is no parking here… What are they going to do anout that?

Has anyone heard rumblings from years ago about a new theatre going next to the Belt Parkway behind Best Buy, before you get to Nelly Bly on the service road?

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on March 10, 2004 at 2:20 pm

If you go to the NYC Dept of Buildings Website, you will see that permits have been issued for this theatres address. The building is still owned by Regal as well.

Orlando
Orlando on March 9, 2004 at 7:04 pm

When JAWS opened here in its' initial release, this was still a single screen. Living in Flatbush JAWS, was playing a lot closer at Century’s Rialto but they were sold out virtually the first four weeks straight, I traveled to my old Junior High School neighborhood to see Jaws at the Marboro by bus and train.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on March 9, 2004 at 4:00 pm

I’ll believe when I see it.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on March 9, 2004 at 1:19 pm

Regal Entertainment plans to start construction sometime later this year with the work ending sometime in 2006.

MarkW
MarkW on February 24, 2004 at 9:54 pm

Any idea when work will start?

RobertR
RobertR on February 19, 2004 at 11:56 am

I was told this is a definate Regal multi-plex site.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on February 19, 2004 at 11:13 am

Yes it was 4.. but it DID have The Rocky Horror Picture Show there… I remmeber leaving from a movie with a friend and all these weird people were running up the stairs.. so we went back and watched….

Any word on further renovations to the theatre?

MarkW
MarkW on February 15, 2004 at 4:21 pm

Wrong theater. This place was 4 screens.

Nelson
Nelson on February 15, 2004 at 1:31 pm

If I remeber correctly this was a Quad that they converted to I think 8 theatres . It was the one movie theatre in the area that had discount matinee shows so it was always packed on saturday mornings. They were also one of the first theatres to have the midnight Rocky Horror Shows taking its cue from the Waverly in Manhattan. Most of the theatres were small and sound wasnt too great

RobertR
RobertR on January 20, 2004 at 7:49 am

The Midway prospers and no area is worse to park in then Forest Hills.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on December 25, 2003 at 1:56 am

This would be great.. a tribute to my grandparents whose 1st date was here…. and then more first dates can lead into new families again… Please keep us up to date.

It is a good location although they will need to add parking to whatever they make someplace… with no lot, you only will get neighborhood traffic… OK for one screen or even 4 but not a lot.

Lawrence
Lawrence on December 24, 2003 at 8:12 am

Something is going on with this movie house and if Dolby is parked in front, you can expect it will reopen at some point soon.

mp775
mp775 on December 23, 2003 at 12:48 pm

NYC Department of Buildings issued a work permit on 7/25/03 for “Repair and Upgrade of Existing Theater where shown on plans – No change in Use, Egress, or Occupancy.”

An electrical contractor is in the theater this very moment, and a truck from a supplier of Dolby digital equipment is parked in front.

MarkW
MarkW on December 22, 2003 at 2:17 am

Something is going on here. It seems that there are contractors working in the theater and from what I was told, UA WILL reopen it. We shall see.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on December 4, 2003 at 6:06 pm

If it wasn’t for this theatre, I may not be here.

My grandparents met in this theatre. My grandfather followed my grandmother in… They met for the first time.

The upstairs theatres, especially one of them was awful.. you couldn’t see because the screen was down this “tunnel” for some reason, and the sound was unaudiable.

I hope regal follows through wuth their plans, although in today’s economy this might not happen.

Not only that, they just renovated the Sheepshead Bay, and in their eyes they may think this location would take away from that one.

Regal is the largest US theatre company, but they are also one that watches costs. While the UA Sheepshead Bay is a “nice” theatre, it is not as fancy and extravagant as other Stadium seating theatres throughout the country. In fact, they didn’t even convert ALl the auditoriums.

And if they were going to do something with the Marboro, why wait over a year?

If they do, I hope they keep the Marboro name. Maybe even bring back Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Since I didn’t live in bensonhurt, I didn’t go to this theatre often. However, as I said before. if it wasn’t for the Marboro, I may not be on this earth.

Mike

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on November 20, 2003 at 6:07 am

Apparently Regal Entertainment Group plans to turn the former UA Marboro into a tenplex scheduled to open around 2006. The ten auditoriums would feature all digital sound with stadium style seating. This project would be similar to what was done with the United Artists Midway in Forest Hills, Queens. This project would bring a much needed movie theatre back to the residents of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. I hope it actually gets done.

William
William on November 15, 2003 at 10:44 am

The address for the Marboro Theatre is 6817 Bay Parkway

MarkW
MarkW on October 27, 2003 at 9:08 pm

Any Idea what the plans are?

unknown
unknown on October 23, 2003 at 7:21 am

FYI – I spoke with Regal Entertainment. They have no intention of selling the property and stated that they have plans for the location.