Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

ErnieN
ErnieN on December 12, 2006 at 3:04 pm

What a great photo! A poignant reminder of heady days. The war was turning in our favor and the big bands were in full cry. I was among those in attendance during this engagement. It was intense!

Cheers.

Ernie Nagy

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Bill, It was quite a nice little screening room, we had 12 seats that came from the Staten Island Paramount when it was renovated, the screen came from the Staten Island Lane when they installed Cinemascope. We cut a 6x 8-foot piece, rolled it up, shelped to my house and installed it. We had two Bell and Howell projectors, and yes, we made changeovers. As I recall, an average movie was mounted on three or four reels. You mentioned the movies probably played in my basement at the same time they were in theatres, well, we had United Artists “Hole in a Head”, which was in Deluxe color, a week before it opened on B’way at Loew’s State. Maybe my little theatre should be listed here :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 1:57 pm

Vito: sounds to me like your basement qualifies as a Cinema Treasure in its own right!

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Bill I understand why you get flustered. The best way to enjoy “Journey” was at at the Paramount in four track mag stereo.
Yes, the 16mm print was anamorphic (scope) Fox did not strike the flat letterbox versions of their movies in the initial rollout.
The 16mm prints were made at the same time as the 35mm theatre release for distribution to the the Army and Navy. We were able to borrow all the Fox films, and any other studio that used Deluxe color. I also had “The Blob” from Paramount, and “Elmer Gantry” from U.A among others. I also got my hands on “Physco” though a trade with a buddy of mine at Paramount, I gave him “Can Can”. When “South Pacific” was re-released, the prints were struck by Deluxe rather than Technicolor, so it played my basement as well.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on September 1, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Bill,

I agree with the excitement of feverishly scanning the new TV Guide for the Early Show, The Late Show (during summer vacation) and Million Dollar Movie. Also, the anticipation of “what will they show” when a ballgame doubleheader was rained out.

Back to being almost on-topic. I caught “Journey” at my RKO 23rd St with “Miracle of the Hills” with Rex Reason. I remember seeing it with dad on Friday night and begging my mom to let me see it again with the kids on Saturday. No luck.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Sorry about the double post. See how flustered I get when the conversation turns to “Journey to the Center of the Earth”?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 1:18 pm

“Journey” was my favorite of all the “4:30 Movies”. Remember how exciting it was when a beloved movie showed up in next week’s TV Guide? It’s a good thing to be able to own the movies now and see them whenever we want, but something very special has been lost at the same time.

Vito: was that 16mm print in CinemaScope? That must have been quite a show down there in your basement. It was probably still playing in neighborhood theaters at that time.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Ed: was that 16mm print in CinemaScope? That must have been quite a show down there in your basement. It was probably still playing in neighborhood theaters at that time.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 1, 2006 at 1:00 pm

Caught that film a number of times on the old “4:30 Movie” that ran weekdays on WABC-TV channel 7 in NYC. I guess not even the scissor-happy editors at channel 7 could whittle “Journey” down to a cogent 72 or so minutes in order to accommodate the commercial breaks in the 90 minute time slot, so they would spread it out over two days.

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 12:12 pm

Ed and Bill, I was working for Fox at the time and Ed is correct, it was a Fox picture, the Paramount reference is for the theatre.
I remember it well, a bunch of us from Fox went to the midnight New Years eve show. About a month later I was able to borrow a 16mm print to show in my basement.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 1, 2006 at 8:32 am

Bill… I wonder if the headline refers to the theater while playing on the meaning of the word “paramount” as well. As far as I can determine, Paramount Studios had nothing to do with this release.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 7:37 pm

Here’s the Daily News “Journey” review. This Fox picture is also (according to the headline) a Paramount picture:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Here is an ad for “Journey to the Center of the Earth” from the New York Daily News – December 1959:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Here is an ad for “Journey to the Center of the Earth” from the New York Daily News:

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 24, 2006 at 3:20 am

Ed is right! These are pages about theatres, and are not for spam. There are provisions under the NEWS link at the top of each page to post such advertising rather than waste limited space on other pages. “Irajoe” is not performing a service advertising his posters; he is just just hawking something for his profit— not ours. And the reason people don’t openly list their E-mails is precisely to prevent such abuse of their privacy by the spam of such inconsiderate and greedy ‘merchants.’ Just because something may be distantly related to theatre architecture doesn’t mean it belongs on pages such as this!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 23, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Irajoel… you should post your link on the home page of Cinema Treasures rather than hitting the individual theater pages. This way you address the entire membership at once, rather than multiple posts that may or may not be related to the specific theater page you are posting in. Just a suggestion.

ErnieN
ErnieN on July 23, 2006 at 2:09 pm

Great posting Irajoel. Enjoyed all the posters, particularly the “Frankenstein.” It is of a type I have not seen before. Served also as a reminder that, over the years, we have confused the creator (Dr. Frankenstein) with his creation, the monster.

Cheers.

irajoel
irajoel on July 23, 2006 at 12:15 pm

I have been putting up images from souvernir programs and other great movie material that I have and most are for sale.
I also have a great website www.cinemagebooks.com
where you can view over 5,000 film related items including programs and much more. Please feel free to email me
don’t understand why members don’t give email addresses. I’m new to the photobucket site but i guess you can view all my images using my
name irajoel.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 8, 2006 at 3:41 pm

The Paramount Building was designated a landmark in 1988, long after all interior and exterior traces of the theater were eliminated. The current marquee, arched window and attendant ornamentation are recreations of the original Paramount Theater marquee and required LPC approval before they began work in 1999 or so. I imagine that a permit to remove the marquee and restore the facade to its 1988 configuration would be quickly approved by the LPC.

Here is a photo of the Paramount facade more or less as it would have appeared at the time of Landmark designation:

Before restored marquee

This image doesn’t show street level, but you can see the portion of the lower facade where the arched window and Paramount logo were initially located (and later recreated) in the lower left side of the image near the corner of the building. It is the portion just at the top of the lower facade where there appear to be a couple of missing windows in the fenestration.

ShortyC
ShortyC on July 8, 2006 at 7:38 am

Is the exterior of this theatre landmarked?

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on June 15, 2006 at 2:29 pm

But now you can see Streisand at the Garden for $1,800.
These are the good old days!

wasu
wasu on June 15, 2006 at 1:16 pm

Where else could you see Tommy Dorsay and Frank Sinatra in person for a buck and a half and catch a movie as well?

Ah! Those were the days!

Wasi

wasu
wasu on June 15, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Ah! Those were the days!

Wasi

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 12, 2006 at 9:37 am

Warren… just to clarify, the theater’s entrance ornamentation on the exterior of the Paramount Building is replica, not remaining from the original. If you walked down Broadway just 6 or 7 years ago and looked up at the building’s facade, you’d just see the same repetition of squared windows and spandrels within the limestone as is the motif along the entire perimeter of the building’s lower floors. The old entrance arch was completly demolished and had to be recreated from old photos (not even the blueprints were available) for the 2001 installation of the WWF theme restaurant.