Paramount Theatre

1501 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

ErnieN
ErnieN on January 4, 2007 at 7:37 am

We almost lost Carnegie Hall; we lost Penn Station; casinos are being imploded in Las Vegas almost daily; all the legendary night clubs in Hollywood (Ciro’s, Brown Derby, etc.) have disappeared. We have no sense of history or continuity. It’s the American way.

Ernie Nagy

Bway
Bway on January 4, 2007 at 2:54 am

WHat a sin it is that they allowed the Paramount to be destroyed. They were so foolish back then. Just think, in the 70’s, we almost lost Radio City Music Hall. Unthinkable today, but just imagine, that was the PLAN. The Paramount shouldn’t have been lost either.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 3, 2007 at 5:45 pm

happy sigh
those vintage shots rock. I truly believe I was born in the wrong period sometimes.
And all the times I ate at Ollies I n e v e r realized where I actually WAS!!!!! And the weird part IS…I KNEW there was a Manhattan PARAMOUNT!!!!
Im absoutely ASHAMED of myself (Im a history loving NATIVE for God sake!!)
Lemme put it this way…for those familiar with NYC stuff pertaining to Coney Island. Each year after the Mermaid Parade, theres the fundraiser for Coney Island USA called the Mermaid Parade Ball. This year it was at the building that used to be Henderson’s Music Hall and Restaurant til 1923. Outside the Palace in Manhatan, it was like THE vaudeville house in NYC. The likes of Eddie Cantor, Al Jolson, and Harpo Marx in his debut with the Marx Brothers played there. I do burlesque and vaudeville work. When I heard I was to perform at the Ball in THAT venue…I was awestruck. When I was escorted in the back door to the place, I was just speechless…I could almost feel the spirits of those guys in the house. It was the ultimate feeling of reverence on my part. I just ran my hand up the wall as I climbed the stairs. It was by no means the stage door and stairs, but who CARES!!! I was THERE!!! Inside, when you know where to look, you can see the wall supports for the balcony tiers on the north and south walls on the east interior of the building.
Thats why I was wondering if the PARAMOUNT was a vaudeville house too. I figure…1926 opening with live stage shows…it MIGHT have been.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 3, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Balloonhedz… I stored some of those images in my scrapbook on photobucket.com. Here’s a link to a 2005 shot I took of the retro-marquee canopy and entrance. You can advance through all the photos there by clicking “next” or view all the thumbnails by clicking “see all” just above it.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 2, 2007 at 8:37 pm

yup…the elevators are passenger operated now.
Thanks muchly guys…I got new stuff to do now next time Im up that way. Its unfortunate that a lot of the pix linked from here are dead links.

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2007 at 1:52 am

I think the Hard Rock marquee was where the old theater marquee was, so that would mean the Hard Rock would be about where the lobby was?
Remember, this building was an office building, in addition to a theater even when the theater was still there. The theater area was just made into more offices.

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 1, 2007 at 7:05 pm

ok…I know I shoulda read everything before posting…but it was just such a rush to find you guys I had to go with it.
So I have it straight…am I to understand that the entrance under the marquee takes you into the Hard Rock and not the office building lobby?
Im rarely that far uptown, Ive never taken notice of the features of the building until just last week. Now I have to really go look. Dumb question..where is the office building lobby in regard to the HRC/Marquee?

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 1, 2007 at 6:10 pm

Hi guys~
I just developed a fascination with the building. I was on the confetti crew that worked from the 18th floor setback last night. Being a performer myself, I was pumped as hell to find Id be working on that building. Not knowing the theater space had been demolished rather than maybe just reconfigured, I was throroughly confused when we were led from the side entrance on the south side of the place, through the south bank of elevators to the north bank, and didnt see ANYthing that resembled a theater.
Thing is, the elevator lobby looks sooooooo vintage.
Heres my thing….
Lets say that the place was STILL the theater. You walk in through the doors under the marquee. In light of the location of the two banks of elevators as they are right now…where was the theatre and how did you access it from that lobby/those doors?
Also, was it ever a vaudeville house?

ErnieN
ErnieN on December 12, 2006 at 12:04 pm

What a great photo! A poignant reminder of heady days. The war was turning in our favor and the big bands were in full cry. I was among those in attendance during this engagement. It was intense!

Cheers.

Ernie Nagy

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 11:48 am

Bill, It was quite a nice little screening room, we had 12 seats that came from the Staten Island Paramount when it was renovated, the screen came from the Staten Island Lane when they installed Cinemascope. We cut a 6x 8-foot piece, rolled it up, shelped to my house and installed it. We had two Bell and Howell projectors, and yes, we made changeovers. As I recall, an average movie was mounted on three or four reels. You mentioned the movies probably played in my basement at the same time they were in theatres, well, we had United Artists “Hole in a Head”, which was in Deluxe color, a week before it opened on B’way at Loew’s State. Maybe my little theatre should be listed here :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 10:57 am

Vito: sounds to me like your basement qualifies as a Cinema Treasure in its own right!

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 10:48 am

Bill I understand why you get flustered. The best way to enjoy “Journey” was at at the Paramount in four track mag stereo.
Yes, the 16mm print was anamorphic (scope) Fox did not strike the flat letterbox versions of their movies in the initial rollout.
The 16mm prints were made at the same time as the 35mm theatre release for distribution to the the Army and Navy. We were able to borrow all the Fox films, and any other studio that used Deluxe color. I also had “The Blob” from Paramount, and “Elmer Gantry” from U.A among others. I also got my hands on “Physco” though a trade with a buddy of mine at Paramount, I gave him “Can Can”. When “South Pacific” was re-released, the prints were struck by Deluxe rather than Technicolor, so it played my basement as well.

42ndStreetMemories
42ndStreetMemories on September 1, 2006 at 10:32 am

Bill,

I agree with the excitement of feverishly scanning the new TV Guide for the Early Show, The Late Show (during summer vacation) and Million Dollar Movie. Also, the anticipation of “what will they show” when a ballgame doubleheader was rained out.

Back to being almost on-topic. I caught “Journey” at my RKO 23rd St with “Miracle of the Hills” with Rex Reason. I remember seeing it with dad on Friday night and begging my mom to let me see it again with the kids on Saturday. No luck.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 10:22 am

Sorry about the double post. See how flustered I get when the conversation turns to “Journey to the Center of the Earth”?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 10:18 am

“Journey” was my favorite of all the “4:30 Movies”. Remember how exciting it was when a beloved movie showed up in next week’s TV Guide? It’s a good thing to be able to own the movies now and see them whenever we want, but something very special has been lost at the same time.

Vito: was that 16mm print in CinemaScope? That must have been quite a show down there in your basement. It was probably still playing in neighborhood theaters at that time.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2006 at 10:18 am

Ed: was that 16mm print in CinemaScope? That must have been quite a show down there in your basement. It was probably still playing in neighborhood theaters at that time.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 1, 2006 at 10:00 am

Caught that film a number of times on the old “4:30 Movie” that ran weekdays on WABC-TV channel 7 in NYC. I guess not even the scissor-happy editors at channel 7 could whittle “Journey” down to a cogent 72 or so minutes in order to accommodate the commercial breaks in the 90 minute time slot, so they would spread it out over two days.

Vito
Vito on September 1, 2006 at 9:12 am

Ed and Bill, I was working for Fox at the time and Ed is correct, it was a Fox picture, the Paramount reference is for the theatre.
I remember it well, a bunch of us from Fox went to the midnight New Years eve show. About a month later I was able to borrow a 16mm print to show in my basement.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 1, 2006 at 5:32 am

Bill… I wonder if the headline refers to the theater while playing on the meaning of the word “paramount” as well. As far as I can determine, Paramount Studios had nothing to do with this release.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Here’s the Daily News “Journey” review. This Fox picture is also (according to the headline) a Paramount picture:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Here is an ad for “Journey to the Center of the Earth” from the New York Daily News – December 1959:

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 31, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Here is an ad for “Journey to the Center of the Earth” from the New York Daily News:

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 24, 2006 at 12:20 am

Ed is right! These are pages about theatres, and are not for spam. There are provisions under the NEWS link at the top of each page to post such advertising rather than waste limited space on other pages. “Irajoe” is not performing a service advertising his posters; he is just just hawking something for his profit— not ours. And the reason people don’t openly list their E-mails is precisely to prevent such abuse of their privacy by the spam of such inconsiderate and greedy ‘merchants.’ Just because something may be distantly related to theatre architecture doesn’t mean it belongs on pages such as this!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 23, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Irajoel… you should post your link on the home page of Cinema Treasures rather than hitting the individual theater pages. This way you address the entire membership at once, rather than multiple posts that may or may not be related to the specific theater page you are posting in. Just a suggestion.