Embassy Theater

3208 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11208

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 21, 2007 at 3:47 am

MVitale,

Hi! I read your blog. It was incredible! I actually have 2 kids 21 years apart! Where in East New York did you grow up? What schools did you attend?

Muzer

panthergirl
panthergirl on September 21, 2007 at 2:57 am

Hey, you guys have been very busy here the past few days!

Just catching up and when I read about the “oil bill”, I had to comment:

We used to tease my father who would call oil “earl” and call the Earl Theater the “Oil”. We never understood why he couldn’t just switch them around!

We never played kick-the-can, but we did play stick ball (a manhole cover made a great homeplate), and we had to stop every five seconds to let a car by. Those streets were SO narrow, too, so it was an interesting playing field.

I have actually introduced my kids to “hit the penny”… a game we’d play with a “Spaldeen” (pink rubber ball) and a penny and a sidewalk crack for hours on end.

We were also obsessed with TV Westerns, so we’d gallop up and down the block whipping our invisible steeds and yelling “Yah!”. A sight to behold, I’m sure.

I should introduce you to my personal blog, where I write about a lot of things but often post photos and stories about the old neighborhoods and my childhood. Here are two posts you might enjoy:

(you’ll recognize the corner of Sheridan and Atlantic in that photo)

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 6:14 am

Thank you, Muzer.

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 20, 2007 at 6:09 am

To PKoch,

Muzer

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 5:59 am

Muzer,

Thanks, I never knew that. It makes sense, more so than Western Easter, the date of which is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Next Easter falling on MArch 23 is as about as early as Western Easter can get.

Would you be so kind as to give me your private e-mail address so we can continue our most interesting correspondence privately ? Thanks.

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 20, 2007 at 5:54 am

PKoch,

Actually “Greek Easter” has to do with the Jewish Passover. It needs to be after the Jewish Passover because that in effect was the “last supper”. Hence, sometimes the 2 Easters are weeks apart. This coming year – 2008 – Western Easter is March 23 and Orthodox Easter is April 27.

Muzer

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 5:17 am

Muzer,

Thanks. Have you been back to Holy Trinity since you moved to Long Island ?

“Greek Easter”, eleven days later than “Western” Easter, because the Patriarch of Constantinople never accepted the Gregorian Calendar ?

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 20, 2007 at 5:10 am

PKoch,

Yes, it was a Russian Orthodox Church since it’s inception in the 1930’s. My family was affiliated with the Church until we moved to Long Island in 1995. Back then most people thought of it as a church to go to on “Greek Easter”.

Muzer

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 5:04 am

Muzer :

Thanks for the details of Baerenklau Oil Co. There was a homeownser’s insurance bill I paid for my parents in person near Ridgewood Savings Bank, to save a stamp, before I sold our Ridgewood house at the end of May 1999.

Thank you also for the details of your Holy Trinity Orthodox Church. I have known its green copper onion domes and distinctive crosses as an ENY landmark all my life ! I feel privileged to have finally met someone who has been inside and was a member of its congregation. Was it a Russian Orthodox church ?

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 20, 2007 at 4:47 am

PKoch,

Yes Baerenklau was about 1-½ blocks from where I lived. I went there many times with my Grandmother to pay the “oil bill”. No sense in wasting a 3 cent stamp when we lived so close! LOL!! They had a water cooler in the office which at the time was “new” so I found it facinating and kept asking for “drinks of water” LOL!!

I actually went to Church on Glenmore Avenue between Pennsylvania and New Jersey Avenues in the heart of East New York. The parish was Holy Trinity Orthodox Church. Most people thought it was a “Greek Church”.

Muzer

PKoch on September 20, 2007 at 4:25 am

phillysantella :

You’re most welcome to the TZ updates. I’m glad you’re keeping an eye open for repeats, but, if you don’t want to wait for repeats to see these episodes again, you can click on the IMDb links I provided, and read about them, in depth, if you wish.

The links will also give you the next dates those episodes will be broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel.

Which Franklin K Lane did you attend : the one that is still there in Cypress Hills near Dexter Court, Elderts Lane and 75th Street, or the earlier one my dad remembers at Evergreen Avenue and Covert St. in Bushwick ?

Also, where was the E.N.Y. Vocational High that you attended ? My dad went there also, 1933-37.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Muzer :

Thanks for the additional details of your life in Bklyn.

My time in Ridgewood (Cornelia between Wyckoff and Cypress) 1955 – 1999, roughly corresponds to yours in ENY / Cypress Hills. A high school classmate and, later, friend of mine at St. Francis Prep in Williamsburg, 1969-73, Frank Lombardo, was from St. Rita’s parish.

I also remember a Baerenklau Oil Company on the corner of Jamaica and Chestnut, circa Christmas 1966, from a visit to my dad’s parents and sister at 169 Chestnut St.

philsantella
philsantella on September 20, 2007 at 4:08 am

Muzer

The yrs. 1954 thru 1972 I worked for a Co.on the corner of Fulton and Logan. My wife lived on corner of Fulton and Richmond. She went to Blessed Sacrament.
Those names do sound familiar. We also were from St.Rita,s parish.
I Grad from St.Rita,s and on to F.K.Lane and also E.N.Y.Vocat. high

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 20, 2007 at 2:35 am

Phillysantella,

I lived from 1954-1995 (41 years) on Jamaica Avenue between Norwood and Logan Streets about 3 blocks east of Highland Park. My family owned the house since 1923 and then when my Uncle passed away in 1994 we sold the house. I too live on Long Island since 1995.

My daughter’s in-laws lived on Glenmore Avenue for many years. Their last names are Competello and Leccese. Sound familiar? I believe they went to St. Rita’s parish.

Muzer

philsantella
philsantella on September 20, 2007 at 2:02 am

PKoch

Tanks for the update on Twilight Zone, will surely keep an open eye for any repeats

philsantella
philsantella on September 20, 2007 at 1:59 am

HI Muzer

Was born on Glenmore Ave. between Elton St. and Linwood 1935 to 1946
Moved to Cleveland St. between Fulton and Atlantic 1946 -1962
Married in 56 Moved to L.I. 1962 and still here.
How about you?

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 8:51 am

phillysantella :

You may have seen Twilight Zone shows “Walking Distance” and “Kick The Can” and are just not remembering them right now. You can still see them on TV (Sci Fi Channel), albeit edited and interrupted, or get them uncut and uninterrupted on VHS or DVD.

Here are links to Internet Movie Database pages on both episodes :

www.imdb.com

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 19, 2007 at 7:51 am

phillysantella,

Since my youngest (son) is only 11 it’s going to be awhile before we catch up to you. By the way where in East New York did you live?

Muzer

philsantella
philsantella on September 19, 2007 at 7:46 am

PKoch, Muzer,
Twilight Zone had some great shows way back when. Dont recall the particular ones you mentioned. Too bad Im sure we would have enjoyed them.
Cheers to you Muzer! But you will have to go a little to catch up to my wife and i. We have 3 girls, 1 boy and 9 grandchildren :)

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 6:38 am

Good for you, Muzer !

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 19, 2007 at 6:35 am

PKoch,

I love having multi-generation’s around. It sure makes for an interesting life! I’m also lucky enough to be retired after a 35 plus year career at a major NYC Bank. Oh Well, I’m off to take my granddaughter to her dancing class now! LOL!!
Muzer

PS My daughter actually married someone who’s family is originally from “East New York”. We have mutual friends/acquaintances. Talk about 6 degrees of separation LOL!!

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 5:40 am

Congratulations, Muzer ! Yes, you really are spanning different generations !

I tend to think of myself that way. On nycsubway.org’s “SubTalk”, my handle was “Nostalgiaddict”. I also referred to myself as “Nostalgi Agonistes” (after Shelley’s “Samson Agonistes” and T.S. Eliot’s “Sweeney Agonistes”) bridging the gaps between past, present and future.

Muzerof2
Muzerof2 on September 19, 2007 at 5:36 am

PKoch,

I was 53 this past May. I have a 32 year old married daughter, an 11 year old son and 2 grandkids – ages 5 and 3. I really am spanning different generations LOL!!

Muzer

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 5:31 am

Muzer, phillysantella, MVitale, have any of you seen the classic Twilight Zone episodes “Walking Distance” and “Kick The Can”, both about being young again ?

“OLLIE OLLIE OXEN FREE !”

PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 5:29 am

I know what you mean, Muzer, because of all the expensive hi-tech games my son has.

How old are you, Muzer ?