Beverly Center 13 Cinemas

8522 Beverly Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 27, 2006 at 11:14 am

I presume this theatre is closed today, as people mentioned in comments on other pages here.

A New York Times article from July 21, 1982, said: “THE largest movie theater complex in the United States opened last week in a new shopping center in Los Angeles. There are 14 movie screens tucked away on the eighth floor of the Beverly Center mall in West Hollywood.” I guess one of the screens must have closed later.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on January 23, 2006 at 2:12 pm

This theatre has no evening showtimes scheduled for Thursday, January 26, only matinees. Since that’s supposed to be the night for changing all the Loews theatres over to AMC, I wonder what’s afoot.

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 17, 2005 at 10:03 pm

Some pictures posted at:
Check out the screen size in relation to the exit door…

br91975
br91975 on September 15, 2005 at 4:38 pm

You caught me, Mark, just as I was typing my message – good eye…

br91975
br91975 on September 15, 2005 at 4:33 pm

Both Chuck1231 and lostmemory’s recently posted links are actually links to images of the New Beverly Cinema: /theaters/1156/

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on September 15, 2005 at 4:29 pm

Nice pictures, fellas, but wrong theatre. This thread is for the Beverly Center multi-plex, which is in the Beverly Center Mall at the corner of Beverly and La Cienega.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on August 25, 2005 at 7:30 am

Incredibly small screens and extortionately high ticket prices. The GCC Beverly Connection across the street is completely gone now, too.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 25, 2005 at 2:51 am

I went to this theater once in the 1980’s. My television at home had a bigger screen than the theater I was in. Good riddance if it closes. Maybe they can level the Beverly Center and bring back the pony rides.

William
William on August 9, 2005 at 3:17 pm

Beverly Center had it’s day. Cineplex ran that theatre into to ground, and I guess Loews finished it off.

That least Pacific Theatre’s Grove gives the neighborhood area the Best show for their money. The former GCC Beverly Connection Theatre did a very good job before the Grove opened and AMC closed it.

br91975
br91975 on August 9, 2005 at 2:38 pm

Word has it that the Beverly Center Cinemas will be closing sometime within the next 6-12 months and replaced by a location of the Loehmann’s clothing store chain.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on August 8, 2005 at 8:49 pm

The booth is in shambles and has been since it opened. It was not planned out by an architect. There are huge water pipes and electrical conduits right in walkways and along the walls. I was always climbing over or ducking under something while working this maze. One projector has a mirror reflecting the image from the lens to another mirror on the floor and out a floor-port onto a screen. Try focusing this mess! I don’t know how Bobby Popita, the regular projectionist, can stand it.

rivest266
rivest266 on July 3, 2005 at 8:09 pm

This was built by Cineplex, this was their 1st US theatre after building miniplexes in Toronto and elsewhere in Canada.

br91975
br91975 on June 26, 2005 at 12:13 pm

Looking at fellow Cinema Treasures poster Ken Roe’s impressive photo essay on the Pacific Theatres at the Grove on the Cinematour web site (http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=20400), it’s no wonder it’s dominating the market it serves; it’s truly an impressive venue.

kelley
kelley on August 28, 2004 at 3:23 am

I heard the The Sunset 5 theatres on Sunset in West Hollywood have even been hurt by the very successful Grove theatres.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 27, 2004 at 9:52 pm

I attended this multiplex once in 1985 to see “Brazil,” and it was a horror story getting in and out due to the traffic congestion in the streets surrounding the shopping mall and in the many levels of car parking. Having been raised in New York City where I could always walk to a movie, I guess I would never be able to adjust to having to use a car to get there.

br91975
br91975 on August 27, 2004 at 9:06 pm

The closing of the cinemas at the Beverly Center is inevitable, due to the success of its relatively new zone mate (and first-run major-studio flick magnet), the all-stadium seating Pacific Theatres at the Grove, which opened in 2002. (The AMC Beverly Connection sixplex across the street – which was once, as was true of the Beverly Center multiplex, one of the most popular theatres in L.A. county – was put out of its misery this past August 15th, and is likely, along with the rest of the Beverly Connection property, to soon be redeveloped.)

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 27, 2004 at 9:03 pm

Except for the two screens they added at the top of the complex this is a terrible complex to see a movie. Im surprised people still go here after the Grove opened. I heard that Loew’s isn’t going to renovate so maybe they will close when the lease ends. The Beverly Connection across the street is slated to close down in the near furture.brucec

kelley
kelley on August 27, 2004 at 12:29 am

These theatres are mostly awful little boxes.

William
William on August 26, 2004 at 10:06 pm

But that’s all in total for all 13 screens combined.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 26, 2004 at 10:03 pm

The Beverly Center Cinema has 1879 seats.