AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

95Crash on August 9, 2007 at 11:19 am

Chris: I understand and respect your points. I have a very big stack of Devs ticket stubs myself — having gone to their games since they came here in 1982. And I myself liked going to see them at CAA too. I guess the main reason I am pro-Newark is because I feared that if they didn’t get that deal done, then the team would’ve eventually been sold and then moved out of state. And I would never want that to happen. I always liked the fact that there is a team that actually “wants” to play in New Jersey and, just as importanly, uses the New Jersey name (unlike the Giants, Jets, and now, ugh, Red Bulls). But I don’t want to bore everyone else in this forum with sports talk. If you’d like to continue this conversation, post a message at and I’ll gladly reply.
Now, back to the Tenplex, reading photoman1001’s post makes me long for the old days of 70mm and magnetic sound! I am proud to say that — even though the theater was not what it used to be — I was at the closing show in Theater 1, the latest Pirates of the Carribean movie. It was a nice night, even if a lot of the kids were just there to see the movie, not to reminisce.

JeffS on August 9, 2007 at 11:09 am

“I miss the old noisy rectifiers, platters and projectors. The stories of past adventures, problems, drama. Sitting for hours with my father in the original lobby watching people. Oh well.. its gone but not forgotten.”

Photoman: I also grew up at a theater. My grandfather ran a Summer operation at Rockaway Beach, Queens for 40 years. My mom grew up at that theater, and so did I. Both my mom and myself grew up with the same projectionist. The Simplex Supers ran for 40+ years in that booth with carbons behind them. I remember the noise, the Tungar rectifiers, the hand rewinding of reels, the heat in the booth on hot summer nights, changeovers, and so on. I also remember when I pulled on a chain and all the window shutters came crashing down during a show! It too is gone, but it certainly isn’t forgotten. A little piece of it lives on in my basement.

JeffS on August 9, 2007 at 11:03 am

“The new movie patrons are so dazzled by all this digital garbage that they are fooled to think that it is better than tried and true 70mm and magnetic sound.”

One thing everyone seems to constantly forget is the equipment used isn’t there for YOUR satisfaction. If it were, 70mm and magnetic sound (even on 35mm) would still be the standard.

Digital is used for one simple reason: MONEY. PROFIT.
Moving to a glitzy new building is done for one simple reason: MONEY. PROFIT.

Using digital takes all the distribution (shipping) and photographic (film + lab) costs out of the equation. Result, more money for the studios without doing anything.

The spin machine is constantly working to make you think digital is bigger and better, and it’s irrelevant if it is or isn’t. The spin machine is there to make the studios money. It appears to be working. Now, if only the quality of the movies produced were better, perhaps I’d be more inclined to spend $11 to go see them.

photoman1001 on August 9, 2007 at 10:22 am

the expansion into a ten plex was the pinacle for the theater. After that it was down hill and who ever was the owner at any given time NEVER wanted to do any improvements. They were always talking of relocating. The projection equipment was piecemealed and getting parts was an adventure. Big business thrives on new.. bigger.. better. The old timers were suprised it lasted till now. The new movie patrons are so dazzled by all this digital garbage that they are fooled to think that it is better than tried and true 70mm and magnetic sound. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. Why not put a theater onto a mall? I truely miss the ten plex. I miss playing with the equipment. I miss walking through the maze of hallways to the projection booths. I miss the old noisy rectifiers, platters and projectors. The stories of past adventures, problems, drama. Sitting for hours with my father in the original lobby watching people. Oh well.. its gone but not forgotten.

Christophersepp on August 9, 2007 at 9:40 am

By cost tax dollars, I meant due to all the huge tax incentives they got for building in Newark, similar to the new Giants Stadium deal.

Christophersepp on August 9, 2007 at 9:35 am

I’ve always been a die hard Devils fan, and have the stacks of used tickets to prove it,lol, along with being a huge movie fan, so I would like to see the team and the Tenplex do well. The Tenplex was always profitable, but AMC thought the mall theater would do even better. If the Tenplex was failing financially, it wouldn’t bother me as much. I don’t like stadium seating, so the mall theater would never do it for me, even with comfy I’ll stick with the Willowbrook theater or Secaucus, if I’m forced to go to an AMC. The Devils could have found a nicer area to put the new arena, maybe more centralized and suburban, where the socioeconomic level of the populace fit the typical hockey fan and lowered ticket prices which would have helped attendance most. NJPAC is nice, but has never been profitable, that’s why they’re always asking for donations. It’s easier for me to catch a bus/train to see a show in NYC, than it is to take public transportation to Newark. The Devils problem has always been fan base age, which is much younger, on average, than Rangers fans, which is why as the tickets prices rose much too high, attendance went down. In the old days, when the team didn’t do as well, but tickets prices were dirt cheap, the arena was always close to full, now, Dev/Ranger games don’t even sell out anymore. Newark will not solve their problems, just cost the city tax dollars.

Christophersepp on August 9, 2007 at 9:12 am

The correlation between Continental and the Tenplex, is they are both being replaced by so-called new and improved versions of themselves in worse (parking, traffic, crime) areas. I’ve never understood the argument about it being hard to get to Continental with so many highways being in the area: rt. 3, rt. 120, rt. 17, the Turnpike, etc… The Newark Arena would only make sense if NJ was NY and we had rail/subway stations everywhere or at least complete bus service. There will be no way to get to the new arena from most of Bergen or Passiac County, without driving, and unlike E. Rutherford, that’s driving to a bad area at night. All week they’ve had reports on News 12 about the high rate of crime and murder in Newark, not something you hear about in E. Rutherford.

95Crash on August 9, 2007 at 7:23 am

I don’t see much of a correlation between the Devils' former situation at the Continental Airlines Arena (CAA) and the former situation at the Route 4 Tenplex. But I will say that I know that, aside from the people who live in Bergen County, it was not easy for a lot of fans to get to Devils games (or Nets games, for that matter) on a weeknight. Especially for those fans from Essex County and below. Sometimes we here in Bergen County don’t realize that there are a lot of proud Jersey supporters in those areas. People who want to root for a Jersey team. At least with the new Newark arena there is easy access to NJ Transit from all over. That is huge. Sure, being a Bergen County resident, it will be a longer trip for me. But I can understand why the team moved. They could’ve renovated the old CAA and still they would’ve struggled to fill the building on a weeknight. The owner wants to see the team be successful, not only in winning but monetarily too, and, being a Jersey guy himself, he wants to keep the team in the state. I support that. In Newark, the team will get most of the profits from concessions, parking, and the like — which is immensely important for a sports team in this day and age. That is in direct contrast to the setup at the Meadowlands, which is run by the state of NJ, which reaps most of those profits. And just because the arena is in Newark does not mean fans won’t come. The New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) does just fine there. There is security in those places. It is not like they build those arenas/theaters in the middle of the projects.
Now back to the Tenplex, being the major theater in Bergen County, as far as I knew, they were not hurting for customers. They just needed to update the place a little. As has been discussed in this forum previously, the sound system was kind of shabby compared to what it used to be. They also could have installed comfier seats. I was at the new AMC Garden 16, or whatever it is called, and those seats are nice! Plus they give you plenty of leg room. And the screens are huge and the sound system is booming, compared the the old theaters at the Tenplex. … Still though, i would rather they had fixed up the Tenplex.

supermp2 on August 8, 2007 at 8:22 pm

They are still pulling things out of it. I still eat at the Fuddruckers next door (which now has the Artic Thunder Machine formerly housed at the 10 plex, BTW)and saw a dumpster filled with stuff int 10 plex parking lot. There were some metal boxes marked for some type of film equipment and a stand up sign that looked like it could be lit up.
It had an illustartion of a movie camera on it. I wanted to look more, but I felt too conspicious since there is still a constant flow of traffic through the parking lot.

Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 8:15 pm

You’re right Jeff, good point. I didn’t think of that. I know the residents of East Rutherford would have rather had a renovated Continental than the traffic nightmare which will be Xanadu, but when do residents ever have a say in these kind of In relation to the Tenplex. It just hit me again when I was in Paramus this week how three theaters have all disappeared this year. The Paramus Picture Show, famous for Rocky Horror showings, the little theater outside the mall whose name I can never remember, and of course The Tenplex. Has anyone gone by the Tenplex lately? I didn’t get a chance to. I was wondering if they’ve done anything other than the boarding up someone else mentioned. Who knows, maybe it will be deserted for a while like Alexanders was and get

JeffS on August 8, 2007 at 10:37 am

“For that kind of money they should have built it in Upper Saddle River or Mahwah, not Newark.”

I understand you’re only trying to make a point, but they build these sort of things in Newark because there is no “not in my back yard” resistance. Residents of USR or Mahwah would never allow a project such as this to go through.

Now, back to the triplex!

Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 9:13 am

The Devils Arena is very similar to the tenplex situation. The new theater at the mall costs more per ticket and is in a worse location re: parking and traffic. The new Devils Arena will have costlier tickets, less seats than Continental, yet more extremely costly luxury boxes/club seats, and is in a much worse and less hockey friendly area. Most of my friends who’ve had season tickets at Continental all these years have finally been priced out of their seats $150 versus $90 or so, and the fact that you’re paying $150 to risk going to Newark is the straw that broke the camels back. The Devils thought they had trouble filling the arena before, so they decided let’s charge more and put the arena in the worst place possible?

Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 9:06 am

Part of the money for the new Devils Arena is coming from the state, but most is coming from Newark. Newark Mayor Corey Booker recently forced a large number of city workers to retire early or were let go, due to the fact that the city budget deficit is so ridiculously high, and yet hundreds of millions of dollars go into an arena that wasn’t needed. I’ve been a huge Devils fan my whole life, and spent a huge percentage of my youth watching games at the arena. They should have just renovated Continental. The lower tier tickets at the new arena, in one of the highest crime areas of the state, will be almost double what they cost at Continental, $150. For that kind of money they should have built it in Upper Saddle River or Mahway, not Newark.

95Crash on August 6, 2007 at 9:35 pm

I believe it was the city of Newark, not the state of New Jersey, that put a big chunk of its own money into the new arena. And as a NJ Devils fan, I hope it is a success — for both the team and the city. … Regarding New Jersey politicians not caring enough about the Tenplex or some other NJ landmarks, I agree. But then I guess we could go on for days talking about what is wrong with politics in NJ if we wanted to.

Christophersepp on August 6, 2007 at 8:00 pm

Actually, what I should have said was: if only I knew about the closing early enough to get something accomplished. The article in the paper didn’t cover the situation from a sympathetic angle, and the writer I spoke with forget to put the website in the article, so most people thought it was a written petition. All the politicians I spoke to gave me lip service, but what else is new in New Jersey. We have the highest taxes in the country, property/state income/sales tax, and yet the Jets/Giants/Devils get state money and millions in tax incentives to build new stadiums/arenas that no one wanted, especially in Newark of all places. Why I foolishly thought a NJ politician would have helped out in this situation is beyond me.

Christophersepp on August 6, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Most, if not all, of the Tenplex employees were offered jobs at the new theater, but turned them down. I, and all of my friends and family, will never go see a movie at the new theater, so I can understand why they wouldn’t want to work there. For a lot of the employees of the Tenplex I spoke to, it wasn’t just a job, it was like a second home. It’s kind of the same feeling a lot of us patrons had for it over the past 30+ years or so. I’m still really disappointed because I had two independent theater owners interested in leasing the property, but when AMC let the lease go, the owners of the property leased it to a company who will eventually turn it into an extension of the newer Bergen Mall. If only I acted faster.

JeffreyM on August 6, 2007 at 4:27 pm

No, he was an elderly I think asian man.

On another unrelated note:

I did ask the manager (the one with the grey hair and grey walrus moustace)at the TenPlex whether he’d be working at AMC16 and he said no.

moviebuff82 on August 6, 2007 at 4:16 pm

is that ticket taker named Monika? I saw her last afternoon and she tore only one ticket instead of the two. She was very nice and courteous.

JeffreyM on August 6, 2007 at 4:12 pm

The only former Tenplex employee that I recognize @ the new AMC 16 is a very friendly ticket taker.

moviebuff82 on August 6, 2007 at 12:26 pm

When will the tenplex be gutted down? I haven’t heard anything in the Record or on News 12. Also, did some of the security guards from the old tenplex move over into the new AMC, along with its employees. I’ve seen most of the new ones at the new location to be young and a bit unskilled.

JeffS on July 23, 2007 at 3:14 pm

You can be certain it will be demolished. That was already in the cards as has been said before. The “when” is the only question. A Wal-mart? I doubt it. Land plot not big enough, and traffic is already atrocious on Rt 4. There’s already a Wal-Mar on Rt 46 in Saddle Brook (incidentally on the plot of the old Rt 46 Drive-In). I also don’t think Wal-Mart would be interested in another store that can only stay open 6 days a week.

moviebuff82 on July 23, 2007 at 2:13 pm

well i guess that the tenplex will be demolished or transformed into a walmart!

95Crash on July 23, 2007 at 1:50 pm

The building’s windows were boarded up over the last few days. I first noticed it on Friday July 20.

moviebuff82 on July 22, 2007 at 11:06 am

when I used to live in clifton, the library had past issues of all the local papers showing the movie listings for the tenplex, mostly NY Times, Bergen Record. To date, the only CO locations that survive as AMCs are two: The Newport Centre theater in Jersey City and the Menlo Park mall theater in Edison. Both of them could never match the longevity of the tenplex, which had better sound and picture equipment than those two.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 7, 2007 at 4:48 am

You can find listings for the Stanley Warner in the Bergen Record. The Hackensack Public Library has all the issues on microfilm, in the basement.