AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

95Crash
95Crash on August 9, 2007 at 9:23 am

I don’t see much of a correlation between the Devils' former situation at the Continental Airlines Arena (CAA) and the former situation at the Route 4 Tenplex. But I will say that I know that, aside from the people who live in Bergen County, it was not easy for a lot of fans to get to Devils games (or Nets games, for that matter) on a weeknight. Especially for those fans from Essex County and below. Sometimes we here in Bergen County don’t realize that there are a lot of proud Jersey supporters in those areas. People who want to root for a Jersey team. At least with the new Newark arena there is easy access to NJ Transit from all over. That is huge. Sure, being a Bergen County resident, it will be a longer trip for me. But I can understand why the team moved. They could’ve renovated the old CAA and still they would’ve struggled to fill the building on a weeknight. The owner wants to see the team be successful, not only in winning but monetarily too, and, being a Jersey guy himself, he wants to keep the team in the state. I support that. In Newark, the team will get most of the profits from concessions, parking, and the like — which is immensely important for a sports team in this day and age. That is in direct contrast to the setup at the Meadowlands, which is run by the state of NJ, which reaps most of those profits. And just because the arena is in Newark does not mean fans won’t come. The New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) does just fine there. There is security in those places. It is not like they build those arenas/theaters in the middle of the projects.
Now back to the Tenplex, being the major theater in Bergen County, as far as I knew, they were not hurting for customers. They just needed to update the place a little. As has been discussed in this forum previously, the sound system was kind of shabby compared to what it used to be. They also could have installed comfier seats. I was at the new AMC Garden 16, or whatever it is called, and those seats are nice! Plus they give you plenty of leg room. And the screens are huge and the sound system is booming, compared the the old theaters at the Tenplex. … Still though, i would rather they had fixed up the Tenplex.

supermp2
supermp2 on August 8, 2007 at 10:22 pm

They are still pulling things out of it. I still eat at the Fuddruckers next door (which now has the Artic Thunder Machine formerly housed at the 10 plex, BTW)and saw a dumpster filled with stuff int 10 plex parking lot. There were some metal boxes marked for some type of film equipment and a stand up sign that looked like it could be lit up.
It had an illustartion of a movie camera on it. I wanted to look more, but I felt too conspicious since there is still a constant flow of traffic through the parking lot.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 10:15 pm

You’re right Jeff, good point. I didn’t think of that. I know the residents of East Rutherford would have rather had a renovated Continental than the traffic nightmare which will be Xanadu, but when do residents ever have a say in these kind of things.lol In relation to the Tenplex. It just hit me again when I was in Paramus this week how three theaters have all disappeared this year. The Paramus Picture Show, famous for Rocky Horror showings, the little theater outside the mall whose name I can never remember, and of course The Tenplex. Has anyone gone by the Tenplex lately? I didn’t get a chance to. I was wondering if they’ve done anything other than the boarding up someone else mentioned. Who knows, maybe it will be deserted for a while like Alexanders was and get haunted.lol

JeffS
JeffS on August 8, 2007 at 12:37 pm

“For that kind of money they should have built it in Upper Saddle River or Mahwah, not Newark.”

I understand you’re only trying to make a point, but they build these sort of things in Newark because there is no “not in my back yard” resistance. Residents of USR or Mahwah would never allow a project such as this to go through.

Now, back to the triplex!

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 11:13 am

The Devils Arena is very similar to the tenplex situation. The new theater at the mall costs more per ticket and is in a worse location re: parking and traffic. The new Devils Arena will have costlier tickets, less seats than Continental, yet more extremely costly luxury boxes/club seats, and is in a much worse and less hockey friendly area. Most of my friends who’ve had season tickets at Continental all these years have finally been priced out of their seats $150 versus $90 or so, and the fact that you’re paying $150 to risk going to Newark is the straw that broke the camels back. The Devils thought they had trouble filling the arena before, so they decided let’s charge more and put the arena in the worst place possible?

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on August 8, 2007 at 11:06 am

Part of the money for the new Devils Arena is coming from the state, but most is coming from Newark. Newark Mayor Corey Booker recently forced a large number of city workers to retire early or were let go, due to the fact that the city budget deficit is so ridiculously high, and yet hundreds of millions of dollars go into an arena that wasn’t needed. I’ve been a huge Devils fan my whole life, and spent a huge percentage of my youth watching games at the arena. They should have just renovated Continental. The lower tier tickets at the new arena, in one of the highest crime areas of the state, will be almost double what they cost at Continental, $150. For that kind of money they should have built it in Upper Saddle River or Mahway, not Newark.

95Crash
95Crash on August 6, 2007 at 11:35 pm

I believe it was the city of Newark, not the state of New Jersey, that put a big chunk of its own money into the new arena. And as a NJ Devils fan, I hope it is a success — for both the team and the city. … Regarding New Jersey politicians not caring enough about the Tenplex or some other NJ landmarks, I agree. But then I guess we could go on for days talking about what is wrong with politics in NJ if we wanted to.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on August 6, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Actually, what I should have said was: if only I knew about the closing early enough to get something accomplished. The article in the paper didn’t cover the situation from a sympathetic angle, and the writer I spoke with forget to put the website in the article, so most people thought it was a written petition. All the politicians I spoke to gave me lip service, but what else is new in New Jersey. We have the highest taxes in the country, property/state income/sales tax, and yet the Jets/Giants/Devils get state money and millions in tax incentives to build new stadiums/arenas that no one wanted, especially in Newark of all places. Why I foolishly thought a NJ politician would have helped out in this situation is beyond me.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on August 6, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Most, if not all, of the Tenplex employees were offered jobs at the new theater, but turned them down. I, and all of my friends and family, will never go see a movie at the new theater, so I can understand why they wouldn’t want to work there. For a lot of the employees of the Tenplex I spoke to, it wasn’t just a job, it was like a second home. It’s kind of the same feeling a lot of us patrons had for it over the past 30+ years or so. I’m still really disappointed because I had two independent theater owners interested in leasing the property, but when AMC let the lease go, the owners of the property leased it to a company who will eventually turn it into an extension of the newer Bergen Mall. If only I acted faster.

JeffreyM
JeffreyM on August 6, 2007 at 6:27 pm

No, he was an elderly I think asian man.

On another unrelated note:

I did ask the manager (the one with the grey hair and grey walrus moustace)at the TenPlex whether he’d be working at AMC16 and he said no.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 6, 2007 at 6:16 pm

is that ticket taker named Monika? I saw her last afternoon and she tore only one ticket instead of the two. She was very nice and courteous.

JeffreyM
JeffreyM on August 6, 2007 at 6:12 pm

The only former Tenplex employee that I recognize @ the new AMC 16 is a very friendly ticket taker.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 6, 2007 at 2:26 pm

When will the tenplex be gutted down? I haven’t heard anything in the Record or on News 12. Also, did some of the security guards from the old tenplex move over into the new AMC, along with its employees. I’ve seen most of the new ones at the new location to be young and a bit unskilled.

JeffS
JeffS on July 23, 2007 at 5:14 pm

You can be certain it will be demolished. That was already in the cards as has been said before. The “when” is the only question. A Wal-mart? I doubt it. Land plot not big enough, and traffic is already atrocious on Rt 4. There’s already a Wal-Mar on Rt 46 in Saddle Brook (incidentally on the plot of the old Rt 46 Drive-In). I also don’t think Wal-Mart would be interested in another store that can only stay open 6 days a week.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 23, 2007 at 4:13 pm

well i guess that the tenplex will be demolished or transformed into a walmart!

95Crash
95Crash on July 23, 2007 at 3:50 pm

The building’s windows were boarded up over the last few days. I first noticed it on Friday July 20.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 22, 2007 at 1:06 pm

when I used to live in clifton, the library had past issues of all the local papers showing the movie listings for the tenplex, mostly NY Times, Bergen Record. To date, the only CO locations that survive as AMCs are two: The Newport Centre theater in Jersey City and the Menlo Park mall theater in Edison. Both of them could never match the longevity of the tenplex, which had better sound and picture equipment than those two.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 7, 2007 at 6:48 am

You can find listings for the Stanley Warner in the Bergen Record. The Hackensack Public Library has all the issues on microfilm, in the basement.

movieguru2007
movieguru2007 on July 7, 2007 at 12:37 am

Does anyone remember which NJ newspaper(s) had movie listings for this theater before 1972? The Newark Star Ledger only goes back until 1972.

NJtoTX
NJtoTX on June 30, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Unfortunately, all I remember about the Stanley Warner was waiting in a long snaking line that wound way back into the parking lot for well over an hour in 1977 for Star Wars. There aren’t many movies I hate with a passion, but that tops the list. Always preferred the Century at the Garden State Plaza.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2007 at 12:21 am

Thanks to Michael Coate and Bill Kallay, here’s the answer to Movieguru’s question:

I guess “Marriage on the Rocks” was the actual first movie screened, even though it was a one-time-only engagement. My friend and frequent poster Jeff S. owns a 35mm print of that film. I’d like to think it was the same one that opened the Stanley Warner that night in 1965.

movieguru2007
movieguru2007 on June 29, 2007 at 11:59 pm

Does anyone know when exactly this movie theater opened and what the first movie it played was?

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 2:51 pm

I bet it does, I have to settle for IMAX.

JeffS
JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Magnetic sound still lives in my home theater, the 35mm version anyway, and it sounds glorious.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 2:35 pm

thanks Justin.. lol.. 100-plex with a fast food resturant in each one!

William.. thanks for the info, I do miss 70mm and magnetic sound.