Chicago Theatre

175 N. State Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

LYNNMICHALI
LYNNMICHALI on August 25, 2006 at 5:57 am

I have always loved the Chicago. I remember going on a double date on Valentine’s Day with my friends. We went to Bob Elfman’s for corned beef first. The movie we saw was “The Towering Inferno”. When the show was over we came out of the auditorium, looked through those glass doors and saw one of the worst snow storms ever.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 25, 2006 at 5:34 am

Up about 8 posts, on August 20th is a nice night view of the Chicago Theatre. Those lights they have restored in the terra cotta really look nice (but what a pain to replace a bulb!). Anyway, is there a name or what is it called when a system of lights is built into the terra cotta? Also, I had noticed those bulbs in the building never lite way back in the early 1960’s. To get them lite again after perhaps at least 50 years, I would guess they would have had to do some rewiring and such, how can they do that? Most folks, I bet, never noticed those blackened bulbs (I’ve seen them at other theatres too), but, it looks great and kudos to the theatre for getting them lite, I really never expected them to do that!

Broan
Broan on August 23, 2006 at 5:53 pm

A November 12, 1919 Mae Tinee article in the Tribune stated: “Balaban and Katz’s downtown theater will be called The Capitol, for the readon that it is to be the largest if any of their theaters and will be their executive headquarters. This theater is to be located on the east side of State street between Lake and Randolph streets. Building operations will begin early in the spring when the existing leases expire.” A July 4, 1920 ad for bonds shows a drawing of the Chicago with the name Ambassador, which persisted until at least December. In April, 1920, the Harris and Selwyn were announced (as Rapp & Rapp designs which weren’t built, but still with the near-twin theme). At the time, they were to be called the Chicago and Selwyn. By January 1921 they had recieved the Harris and Selwyn names, freeing the Chicago name.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on August 23, 2006 at 4:04 pm

I cannot testify to the Ambassador name being in play. But I have copies of the Chicago Theatre blue prints that were used to construct the building hanging in my home. If I look up now from this laptop I am staring directly at the name CAPITOL in the lower right-hand corner of drawing number 10 (exterior elevations). For anyone who cares to know it was job number 19-15.

JimRankin
JimRankin on August 23, 2006 at 1:44 am

In its 1981 ANNUAL, titled “The Chicago Theatre” there is an article on page 5 “The name Chicago” wherein is acknowledged that various working drawings and renderings did bear both the names Capitol as well as Ambassador and explains the common practice of changing planned names for a theatre before opening day. There is also a brief history of the previous theatres that bore or were to bear the name CHICAGO. Unfortunately, that ANNUAL is out-of-print, but it may be within the collections of those libraries which have their “Marquee” magazine that far back. (see: www.historictheatres.org )

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 22, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Also the Ambassador Theatre? From the 2006 book THE CHICAGO MOVIE PALACES OF BALABAN AND KATZ by David Balaban, page 51. On talking about the Chicago Theatre, “Originally called the Ambassador Theatre before its completion”??

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on August 22, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Thank you for the conformation. and thany you for your time :)

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on August 22, 2006 at 6:45 pm

100% true. Original blueprints were created under name of Capitol.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on August 22, 2006 at 6:38 pm

Is it true that the Chicago Theatre started out as the “Capitol"theatre and if so when was is changed to Chicago?
Thank You for your halp on the issue. :)

Broan
Broan on August 20, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Here is a late 40s view. Here is an early 60s view.

Will Dunklin
Will Dunklin on July 11, 2006 at 11:54 am

Charrio, if you’ll click on my name below, you’ll find my e-mail link under “contact info”. I may have some info for you.

JimRankin
JimRankin on July 3, 2006 at 1:46 pm

If no one else knows, contact the Theatre Historical Society of America which is headquarted outside of Chicago in Elmhurst at: www.historictheatres.org

toncon
toncon on July 3, 2006 at 12:03 pm

re Chicago Theatre, circa 1955 — I have three questions.
Does anyone know: (1) How many steps led up to the stage from the auditorium floor? (2) Was the railing surrounding the orchestra pit made of wood, or iron, or…? (3) Backstage, where was a major stage-star’s dressing room — 1st floor, or 2nd, or 3rd, or…? I hope someone can help. Thanks.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on June 22, 2006 at 12:12 am

The Channel 7 ABC reported that the Chicago is getting a new smaller stage under the theatre and it will be called something like Chicago Theatre Downstairs set to open in September the 1st show i think will be eather “Sheer Madness” or “HairSpray”.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 10, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Randolph Street was fun back then. I had forgotten about that arcade. Put many quarters into the great standup video games in that place!

I’ll take that over Block 37 any day.

daimon9
daimon9 on June 10, 2006 at 10:31 am

The last movie I saw at the Chicago Theater was E.T when I was around 7 or 8. I remember going downtown with my friends when I was around 12 years old(1986) and having so much to do downtown. It was so much fun to go downtown when I was younger. We used to go to the Wood’s Theater, United Artist, and maybe grab some pizza at Ronnie’s and then hit the gameroom that used to be in between State and Dearborn on Randolph. Ahhh!! the memories.

hamiltonmark
hamiltonmark on June 8, 2006 at 4:44 pm

This theatre was use in the TV show “So You Think You Can Dance” which aired on Wednesday June 7 2006. You were shown great shots of both the inside and outside of this theare.
What a fantastic looking theatre.

Broan
Broan on June 6, 2006 at 6:47 am

Keep in mind, the scanning is done from the microfilm and then uses OCR technology to recognize the text, so it shouldn’t be terribly labor-intensive. One of the major drawbacks is that to get the text most readable for OCR, the exposure for the whole page is knocked up drastically, such that graphics are almost always badly distorted.

Broan
Broan on June 6, 2006 at 6:44 am

It must be getting more affordable, though; the Proquest-competitor newspaperarchive.com (which features a far less sophisticated and therefore less useful search system) now features many local papers, including the suburban chicago Daily Herald.

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 6, 2006 at 6:30 am

Thank you, Brian; it is nice to know this. Maybe research on Chicago area theatres will now go even faster than before. It’s a pity more cities' papers are not fully on-line, but so much scanning and server space is no doubt expensive.

Broan
Broan on June 5, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Well, actually Jim, the full run of the Chicago Tribune is now online, available through the Chicago Public Library, and various local libraries and universities. once you get a hang of running searches (I usually do a combination search of several unlikely theater names that would appear in the daily listings, like “milford AND rockne AND adelphi” or what have you), you can fairly easily pull up movie listings for a set window of time. It would be time consuming of course, but less fatiguing than microfilm.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 5, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Did anyone see any of the Conan O'Brien shows from the Chicago? Very heartening sight to see them pan across a full house cheering wildly for Conan.

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 4, 2006 at 5:40 am

Joe DuciBella of the Theatre Historical Society, located in Elmhurst, is a recognized authority on the CHICAGO, so he may already have compiled such data. He is at:

You can of course do the research yourself by viewing the listings for it in microfilmed copies of the Chicago papers, either at libraries there or by having films sent to your local library. It is a tedious process, but probably the only way to it today.

Suz
Suz on June 3, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Can anyone tell me how to obtain a copy of the bookings at the Chicago Theatre for the years 1940 through 1944?
Thanks.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 18, 2006 at 9:01 pm

It was on one of those office floors above the lobby, where B&K once had space (I think later Plitt too). You took the elevator upstairs and walked about twenty steps to the screening room’s entrance. It was pretty modern, even having rocker chairs. I photographed the screening room. My whole collection of photos was later given to the Theatre Society in Elmhurst. I’m sure they would sell copies for a few bucks. It seems to me that they would just rip the thing out if they were going to use it for office space. It was an odd space for office conversion, and the interior of the office floor had been demolished to the four exterior walls at the time I saw it. The screening room sat in a big open space.

I’ll drop you a note when I get a few minutes Brian.