AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 22, 2007 at 11:06 am

when I used to live in clifton, the library had past issues of all the local papers showing the movie listings for the tenplex, mostly NY Times, Bergen Record. To date, the only CO locations that survive as AMCs are two: The Newport Centre theater in Jersey City and the Menlo Park mall theater in Edison. Both of them could never match the longevity of the tenplex, which had better sound and picture equipment than those two.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 7, 2007 at 4:48 am

You can find listings for the Stanley Warner in the Bergen Record. The Hackensack Public Library has all the issues on microfilm, in the basement.

movieguru2007
movieguru2007 on July 6, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Does anyone remember which NJ newspaper(s) had movie listings for this theater before 1972? The Newark Star Ledger only goes back until 1972.

NJtoTX
NJtoTX on June 30, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, all I remember about the Stanley Warner was waiting in a long snaking line that wound way back into the parking lot for well over an hour in 1977 for Star Wars. There aren’t many movies I hate with a passion, but that tops the list. Always preferred the Century at the Garden State Plaza.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 29, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Thanks to Michael Coate and Bill Kallay, here’s the answer to Movieguru’s question:

I guess “Marriage on the Rocks” was the actual first movie screened, even though it was a one-time-only engagement. My friend and frequent poster Jeff S. owns a 35mm print of that film. I’d like to think it was the same one that opened the Stanley Warner that night in 1965.

movieguru2007
movieguru2007 on June 29, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Does anyone know when exactly this movie theater opened and what the first movie it played was?

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 12:51 pm

I bet it does, I have to settle for IMAX.

JeffS
JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Magnetic sound still lives in my home theater, the 35mm version anyway, and it sounds glorious.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 12:35 pm

thanks Justin.. lol.. 100-plex with a fast food resturant in each one!

William.. thanks for the info, I do miss 70mm and magnetic sound.

William
William on June 20, 2007 at 12:12 pm

photoman1001, The Dolby CP-65 can run mag 70MM with a Dolby MPU unit set-up. But when Star Wars came out it was only the Dolcy CP-100 as the processor.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 12:06 pm

thanks for the info. BTW, nice photos. Maybe in the future when the GSP 16 closes to make room for a 100-plex you can take pictures of that one!!!

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 12:01 pm

William.. you might be right about the dolby. The magnetic system was thrown out long ago. But I do remember pushing the buttons on that unit forever. I will check with one of the projectionists that was a tech. That unit was around for magnetic sound though.

Justin.. The ‘stadium seating’ in theaters 4 & 5 was a result of consolidation. It was a balcony in the original theater design. As far as I can remember it was the only theater I was ever in that had seating like that.
The only theater that I missed was theater 6. It was running at the time I was there taking the pictures.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 11:48 am

photoman1001, some of the theaters, such as four and five, have stadium seating. Were they the first stadium seating theaters to be formed out of the old one-screen theater to be located in Bergen County? BTW, you missed out on some theaters, such as #6.

William
William on June 20, 2007 at 8:40 am

photoman1001, in your photo marked Sound-theater-one. You put the caption “That Dolby unit is the original one that played the 70MM Star War.”

That Dolby processor looks like a Dolby CP-65 unit, which was introduced in August 1991 from Dolby. The only Dolby processor that could handle 70MM Dolby 6-Track Mag Stereo available back in 1977 was the Dolby CP-100 with a Dolby MPU-1 and a Dolby 364 for Noise Reduction for the surrounds and a Dolby SRA-4 for the surrounds.

That pictures shows the theatre could handle Dolby SRD and DTS but no magnetic stereo sound. The other sound system must be long gone.

JeffS
JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 8:29 am

They went to the AMC 16 at the GSP :)

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 8:16 am

where did everyone go?

JeffS
JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I wonder where those are headed. My basement maybe?

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 6, 2007 at 11:13 am

yes it is a norelco 35/70. It was by theater 10. There is also one in booth six. They just sat there longing for 70mm :(

JeffS
JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 11:05 am

Booth-8910, is that a Norelco 35/70 machine in the foreground?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 6, 2007 at 9:33 am

Thanks for the pictures, Photoman 1001. My favorite is “The Original Lobby”.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on June 6, 2007 at 8:30 am

How many seats did it have as a single screen theater please?

Thank You.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on June 5, 2007 at 4:49 am

Photoman1001, thank you so much for the link to the pictures. It is greatly appreciated. I’m still calling/emailing everyone I can think of to save this theater, but it looks like I’m running out of venues to pursue. At least I’ll now have your pics to keep my memories alive. Thanks again.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 4, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Well here is the link to see some of the pics

enjoy

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 31, 2007 at 12:28 pm

me too..that theater changed the way people went to movies in North Jersey. the theater was on the big screen in the movie ransom.

95Crash
95Crash on May 31, 2007 at 11:31 am

On my way home I stopped by the theater yet again and this time asked another guy if he knew anything about what will happen to the building. He didn’t know. When I asked him about the film equipment, projectors, and such, he said that AMC gave it to their other theaters — just as Justin and hotwaterbottle had surmised. I didn’t see the first guy there, or his truck, but maybe he only bought one film projector for his new theater in Upstate New York. I wish I had asked him what town it would be in. … I am not in this business, so I don’t know what other questions I could’ve asked. I am just a fan of the Tenplex. I will miss it.