AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

movieguru2007 on July 7, 2007 at 1:37 am

Does anyone remember which NJ newspaper(s) had movie listings for this theater before 1972? The Newark Star Ledger only goes back until 1972.

NJtoTX on June 30, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Unfortunately, all I remember about the Stanley Warner was waiting in a long snaking line that wound way back into the parking lot for well over an hour in 1977 for Star Wars. There aren’t many movies I hate with a passion, but that tops the list. Always preferred the Century at the Garden State Plaza.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2007 at 1:21 am

Thanks to Michael Coate and Bill Kallay, here’s the answer to Movieguru’s question:

I guess “Marriage on the Rocks” was the actual first movie screened, even though it was a one-time-only engagement. My friend and frequent poster Jeff S. owns a 35mm print of that film. I’d like to think it was the same one that opened the Stanley Warner that night in 1965.

movieguru2007 on June 30, 2007 at 12:59 am

Does anyone know when exactly this movie theater opened and what the first movie it played was?

photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I bet it does, I have to settle for IMAX.

JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Magnetic sound still lives in my home theater, the 35mm version anyway, and it sounds glorious.

photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 3:35 pm

thanks Justin.. lol.. 100-plex with a fast food resturant in each one!

William.. thanks for the info, I do miss 70mm and magnetic sound.

William on June 20, 2007 at 3:12 pm

photoman1001, The Dolby CP-65 can run mag 70MM with a Dolby MPU unit set-up. But when Star Wars came out it was only the Dolcy CP-100 as the processor.

moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 3:06 pm

thanks for the info. BTW, nice photos. Maybe in the future when the GSP 16 closes to make room for a 100-plex you can take pictures of that one!!!

photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 3:01 pm

William.. you might be right about the dolby. The magnetic system was thrown out long ago. But I do remember pushing the buttons on that unit forever. I will check with one of the projectionists that was a tech. That unit was around for magnetic sound though.

Justin.. The ‘stadium seating’ in theaters 4 & 5 was a result of consolidation. It was a balcony in the original theater design. As far as I can remember it was the only theater I was ever in that had seating like that.
The only theater that I missed was theater 6. It was running at the time I was there taking the pictures.

moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 2:48 pm

photoman1001, some of the theaters, such as four and five, have stadium seating. Were they the first stadium seating theaters to be formed out of the old one-screen theater to be located in Bergen County? BTW, you missed out on some theaters, such as #6.

William on June 20, 2007 at 11:40 am

photoman1001, in your photo marked Sound-theater-one. You put the caption “That Dolby unit is the original one that played the 70MM Star War.”

That Dolby processor looks like a Dolby CP-65 unit, which was introduced in August 1991 from Dolby. The only Dolby processor that could handle 70MM Dolby 6-Track Mag Stereo available back in 1977 was the Dolby CP-100 with a Dolby MPU-1 and a Dolby 364 for Noise Reduction for the surrounds and a Dolby SRA-4 for the surrounds.

That pictures shows the theatre could handle Dolby SRD and DTS but no magnetic stereo sound. The other sound system must be long gone.

JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 11:29 am

They went to the AMC 16 at the GSP :)

photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 11:16 am

where did everyone go?

JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 3:48 pm

I wonder where those are headed. My basement maybe?

photoman1001 on June 6, 2007 at 2:13 pm

yes it is a norelco 35/70. It was by theater 10. There is also one in booth six. They just sat there longing for 70mm :(

JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 2:05 pm

Booth-8910, is that a Norelco 35/70 machine in the foreground?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 6, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for the pictures, Photoman 1001. My favorite is “The Original Lobby”.

ArchStanton007 on June 6, 2007 at 11:30 am

How many seats did it have as a single screen theater please?

Thank You.

Christophersepp on June 5, 2007 at 7:49 am

Photoman1001, thank you so much for the link to the pictures. It is greatly appreciated. I’m still calling/emailing everyone I can think of to save this theater, but it looks like I’m running out of venues to pursue. At least I’ll now have your pics to keep my memories alive. Thanks again.

photoman1001 on June 4, 2007 at 9:28 pm

Well here is the link to see some of the pics

moviebuff82 on May 31, 2007 at 3:28 pm

me too..that theater changed the way people went to movies in North Jersey. the theater was on the big screen in the movie ransom.

95Crash on May 31, 2007 at 2:31 pm

On my way home I stopped by the theater yet again and this time asked another guy if he knew anything about what will happen to the building. He didn’t know. When I asked him about the film equipment, projectors, and such, he said that AMC gave it to their other theaters — just as Justin and hotwaterbottle had surmised. I didn’t see the first guy there, or his truck, but maybe he only bought one film projector for his new theater in Upstate New York. I wish I had asked him what town it would be in. … I am not in this business, so I don’t know what other questions I could’ve asked. I am just a fan of the Tenplex. I will miss it.

95Crash on May 31, 2007 at 11:22 am

I stopped over at the theater this afternoon, on my lunchbreak, and spoke with a gentleman who was loading up a Ryder moving truck with a combination of food-vendor machines and movie poster frames and other stuff. One of the popcorn machines wis sitting outside. I asked him if he knew what was going to happen to the building. He said he had heard that it was going to be torn down, but he wasn’t sure. He also said that he had bought the film projectors. (I don’t know if he meant all of the projectors.) I asked him if he owned a theater. He said he was opening one in Upstate New York. After that, his cell phone rang and I didn’t want to stick around and take up more of his time.

hotwaterbottle on May 31, 2007 at 9:33 am

Justin, you’re probably right. Whatever equipment is useable will be spread out among the other AMC theatres that need them; snackbar equipment, candy counters, projection equipment, you name it.
Face it, folks. It was nice while it lasted, but this theatre is d o n e.