AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 12:06 pm

thanks for the info. BTW, nice photos. Maybe in the future when the GSP 16 closes to make room for a 100-plex you can take pictures of that one!!!

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 12:01 pm

William.. you might be right about the dolby. The magnetic system was thrown out long ago. But I do remember pushing the buttons on that unit forever. I will check with one of the projectionists that was a tech. That unit was around for magnetic sound though.

Justin.. The ‘stadium seating’ in theaters 4 & 5 was a result of consolidation. It was a balcony in the original theater design. As far as I can remember it was the only theater I was ever in that had seating like that.
The only theater that I missed was theater 6. It was running at the time I was there taking the pictures.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 20, 2007 at 11:48 am

photoman1001, some of the theaters, such as four and five, have stadium seating. Were they the first stadium seating theaters to be formed out of the old one-screen theater to be located in Bergen County? BTW, you missed out on some theaters, such as #6.

William
William on June 20, 2007 at 8:40 am

photoman1001, in your photo marked Sound-theater-one. You put the caption “That Dolby unit is the original one that played the 70MM Star War.”

That Dolby processor looks like a Dolby CP-65 unit, which was introduced in August 1991 from Dolby. The only Dolby processor that could handle 70MM Dolby 6-Track Mag Stereo available back in 1977 was the Dolby CP-100 with a Dolby MPU-1 and a Dolby 364 for Noise Reduction for the surrounds and a Dolby SRA-4 for the surrounds.

That pictures shows the theatre could handle Dolby SRD and DTS but no magnetic stereo sound. The other sound system must be long gone.

JeffS
JeffS on June 20, 2007 at 8:29 am

They went to the AMC 16 at the GSP :)

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 20, 2007 at 8:16 am

where did everyone go?

JeffS
JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I wonder where those are headed. My basement maybe?

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 6, 2007 at 11:13 am

yes it is a norelco 35/70. It was by theater 10. There is also one in booth six. They just sat there longing for 70mm :(

JeffS
JeffS on June 6, 2007 at 11:05 am

Booth-8910, is that a Norelco 35/70 machine in the foreground?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 6, 2007 at 9:33 am

Thanks for the pictures, Photoman 1001. My favorite is “The Original Lobby”.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on June 6, 2007 at 8:30 am

How many seats did it have as a single screen theater please?

Thank You.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on June 5, 2007 at 4:49 am

Photoman1001, thank you so much for the link to the pictures. It is greatly appreciated. I’m still calling/emailing everyone I can think of to save this theater, but it looks like I’m running out of venues to pursue. At least I’ll now have your pics to keep my memories alive. Thanks again.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on June 4, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Well here is the link to see some of the pics

enjoy

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 31, 2007 at 12:28 pm

me too..that theater changed the way people went to movies in North Jersey. the theater was on the big screen in the movie ransom.

95Crash
95Crash on May 31, 2007 at 11:31 am

On my way home I stopped by the theater yet again and this time asked another guy if he knew anything about what will happen to the building. He didn’t know. When I asked him about the film equipment, projectors, and such, he said that AMC gave it to their other theaters — just as Justin and hotwaterbottle had surmised. I didn’t see the first guy there, or his truck, but maybe he only bought one film projector for his new theater in Upstate New York. I wish I had asked him what town it would be in. … I am not in this business, so I don’t know what other questions I could’ve asked. I am just a fan of the Tenplex. I will miss it.

95Crash
95Crash on May 31, 2007 at 8:22 am

I stopped over at the theater this afternoon, on my lunchbreak, and spoke with a gentleman who was loading up a Ryder moving truck with a combination of food-vendor machines and movie poster frames and other stuff. One of the popcorn machines wis sitting outside. I asked him if he knew what was going to happen to the building. He said he had heard that it was going to be torn down, but he wasn’t sure. He also said that he had bought the film projectors. (I don’t know if he meant all of the projectors.) I asked him if he owned a theater. He said he was opening one in Upstate New York. After that, his cell phone rang and I didn’t want to stick around and take up more of his time.

hotwaterbottle
hotwaterbottle on May 31, 2007 at 6:33 am

Justin, you’re probably right. Whatever equipment is useable will be spread out among the other AMC theatres that need them; snackbar equipment, candy counters, projection equipment, you name it.
Face it, folks. It was nice while it lasted, but this theatre is d o n e.

supermp2
supermp2 on May 30, 2007 at 5:28 pm

U-Hauls? I’d like to know what they’re moving. The building may be up indefinitely but if they are gutting the place, I guess we can put our dreams of this theatre being resurrected to rest. Hope that’s not the case.
Life goes on but I already miss this place like crazy. While it was trimmed down in recent years, they were also one of the last few theatres with a decent arcade. Yeah, I’m getting old.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2007 at 11:45 am

Maybe all the stuff from the old tenplex will be moved to other theaters owned by AMC. The movies that played at the tenplex were moved to the new location.

95Crash
95Crash on May 30, 2007 at 11:12 am

I work in an office building near the Tenplex, right off of the Route 4 East Forest Avenue exit, directly across from Shop Rite, and pass by the theater on my way to lunch every day. Yesterday I saw a U-Haul truck, albeit a small one, parked by the front doors. And today there was an 18-wheeler parked there, backed up to the front doors. I don’t know what they were moving. Maybe tomorrow I’ll stop over there and ask whoever is there what is going on.

JeffS
JeffS on May 30, 2007 at 9:18 am
"don't know much about the sony sdds.. it didn't work most of the time."

Not surprising, considering the location Sony chose to put the sound! For those not in the know, the SDDS digital track was placed on the edges of the film, the area subject to the most mechanical friction and wear. So the track got scratched and worn, and didn’t read properly.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on May 30, 2007 at 8:49 am

don’t know much about the sony sdds.. it didnt work most of the time.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on May 30, 2007 at 8:41 am

the theaters had magnetic, optical, dolby, dolby sr, dolby digital, DTS and Sony sdds.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2007 at 8:24 am

Which sound formats did this theater have? I guess most of them anyway.