Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

ahkesq
ahkesq on September 8, 2004 at 3:59 pm

I was told by a Loew’s corporate executive a few years ago that the Marcus Loew plaque was removed by Loew’s and is now outside the entrance to the theatre at Lincoln Square honoring Loew…ahkesq

ERD
ERD on August 22, 2004 at 12:07 pm

Somone recently mentioned that the Oriental had an organ. I don’t recall seeing it when I attended the theatre. I also do not remember
Loew’s 46th Street or Loew’s Boro Park having a theatre organ.
Does anyone know for sure?

theatrefan
theatrefan on August 4, 2004 at 8:03 am

The Loew’s Oriental opened on October 13th, 1927 only about a month after Marcus Loew the chains founder passed away. The first feature to premiere at the Oriental was “Beau Geste” and the last three movies to play there were “Muriels Wedding, A Goofy Movie & Tommy Boy”

Hawthorne Amusement Corp. (A Loew’s Theatres Subsidiary) owned this theatre for much of its run. Abe Boritz was the projectionist at the time of its closing and had worked in this theatre for 26 years. The final ticket prices at the time of its closing in 1995 were $4.00 for a matinee show and $7.00 all other times.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 30, 2004 at 6:21 am

Warren, it’s a shame that we live in a time where unfortunately that has to happen. I did do this a few years ago so it could be possible that the policy is the same at the Oriental Marshall’s.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 30, 2004 at 6:06 am

yes, I’ve been in that store and asked to use the bathroom, once they open the door, you go up the original marble staircase on what would have been on the left side. I’m not sure if the right staircase is still intact but from the looks of things on the main selling floor it actually might be. I agree with Mark that the balcony are might still exist as a secondary floor. It’s sad that there are drop tiles everywhere hiding anything original.

MarkW
MarkW on June 30, 2004 at 5:29 am

Bathrooms are still upstairs but everything is new construction. I have a funny feeling that the balcony still exists. I am trying to confirm this.

YMike
YMike on June 30, 2004 at 4:55 am

The bathrooms were upstairs. Similar to the Loews Jersey, but smaller. There was also a plaque on the upper lobby wall dedicated to Marcus Loew. (had a small bust of his face on it) Wonder what happened to that. I believe part of the marble staircase still exists. If you go into the Marshall’s store there is a black door on the left wall with a window. If you look through the window you can see the staircase. I bet they still use the bathrooms upstairs.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 29, 2004 at 5:47 pm

I remember what crummy shape the seats were in the last time I was in the upstairs theatre, when you sat down the whole row would rock back and forth with you. Remember the big marble staircase leading up to the former balcony sections, I think the bathrooms were in the upstairs section just like the Kingsway, so much for being ADA friendly.

YMike
YMike on June 29, 2004 at 12:44 pm

They replaced the original seats with the orange ones when they twinned the balcony theatre.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 1:38 pm

It was twinned in 1976, and triplexed in 1983, at the very start of Saturday Night Fever, when the B Train zooms off, you can see the Loew’s Oriental Building and writting in faded paint Loew’s Oriental. Does anyone remember the upstairs theatres with the orange seats?

YMike
YMike on June 24, 2004 at 1:18 pm

It is the Benson Marquee. I have lived in the neighborhood all my life and you can not see the Oriental Marquee from 20th ave. I believe the Oriental does appear later in the film. Its like the chase scene from the “French Connection” (Also filmed in this neighborhood) If you watch closely they pass Lafayette High School several times during the chase. Sometimes the train is on the center track, sometimes its on a different track. By the way, what year was the Oriental twinned? If it was in the late 1970’s then they could not have shown Rocky and Network in 1976. The last film I saw at the Oriental was Dick Tracy in the main (downstairs) theatre. Untill its demise the entire orchestra section was intact as one theatre. Several rows of seats were missing here and there so you had great leg room in many of the rows. It really is a shame it had to close.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 24, 2004 at 12:10 pm

You are wrong!!!
But you are right!
Think about it….

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 11:19 am

I am not wrong Carl, I grew up two blocks away from the Benson and I know the area. In the movie Tony buys two slices at Lenny’s Pizza, then goes into Shirtown on the corner of 86th St. and 20th Avenue, how is it possible that you can see the marquee of the Oriental if it’s actually two Avenues over from 20th Ave? Trust me it’s the Benson Marquee that you see in the movie. The Oriental did not even have a stainless steel marquee like the one shown in the movie.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 24, 2004 at 11:01 am

You are wrong Theaterfan. I lived in that neighborhood all my life and I was there. But you discuss it with the rest…

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 10:59 am

In Saturday Night Fever, Tony (John Travolta) runs under the marquee of the Benson Twin Theatre, not the Oriental. You can see the Chase Bank and the 20th Avenue subway entrance clearly in the backround.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 9:31 am

Alot of you guys failed to mention that John Travolta as Tony Manero in “Saturday Night Fever” (the quintisential Brooklyn film) is walking down 86th street after he buys his pizza and the Oriental is in the background showing “Rocky” and “Network”. This is a great scene in a great film and great theater. the last film I saw there was “Mr. Mom” in 1984.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 17, 2004 at 11:41 am

Thank you, ErwinM, for your diligent work ! It’s indeed a pleasure working with you on this site !

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on May 17, 2004 at 11:35 am

Referring to Peter K’s May 12th posting of the el train photo containing part of the marquee for Loew’s Oriental, I think I have deciphered the titles of what was playing that day. The first two lines read “RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK” and the bottom title, of which only one word is visible, should be “ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE”. This time the date of the photo (August 2, 1981) appears to be correct, which was not the case when I figured out the Loew’s Hillside marquee. That one was only slightly more legible. In any event, according to the microfilm of the New York Times for 8/2/81, these were the two features that were playing at the Oriental, which had already been twinned by that time. If you zoom, enlarge the photo and stare a bit, “Raiders of the Lost Ark” does seem to fit.

YMike
YMike on May 17, 2004 at 5:08 am

I believe there was also a faded sign on the 46st mentioning Vaudeville shows.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on May 16, 2004 at 10:03 pm

Nevertheless, the sign in faded paint always said VAUDEVILLE SHOWS

YMike
YMike on May 16, 2004 at 8:24 am

I have heard from old-timers that they did have some Vaudville shows there in the early 1930’s. Al Jolson made a personal appearance and performed at this theatre before a screening of “Jolson Sings Again” He toured several Loews theatres on the same day in the New York area.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on May 14, 2004 at 6:45 pm

What you cabnt see is that on the lefthand side under the painted LOEWS ORIENTAL there wasa VERY faded painting of the words

VAUDVILLE
SHOWS

How incredible is that!!

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on May 14, 2004 at 6:45 pm

VAUDVILLE
SHOWS

How incredible is that!!

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 14, 2004 at 1:32 pm

An outside wall of the Oriental, with “ORIENTAL” on it in large capital letters, appears in the upper left of this image of the West End elevated line :

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on May 12, 2004 at 1:30 pm

Sorry, I meant right edge of aforesaid image.