Brooklyn Paramount Theatre

385 Flatbush Avenue Extension,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

RobertR
RobertR on August 15, 2005 at 6:25 pm

Here is a great ad from when “The Ten Commandments” played exclusive in Brooklyn here.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 28, 2005 at 12:21 am

He was/is a beauty!

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 2:47 pm

A painting of the Paramount

RobertR
RobertR on July 4, 2005 at 10:03 am

Here is the ad for the Clay Cole-Murray the K show at the Paramount

RobertR
RobertR on June 20, 2005 at 4:53 pm

In 1947 the Paramount was showing a re-release of Cecil B DeMilles “Cleopatra” and advertising it “on our giant MAGNASCOPE screen. The second feature was the Technicolor "Tropic Zone” starring Ronald Reagan and Rhonda Fleming. No stage show was advertised.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 17, 2005 at 9:14 pm

I just got curious…I heard about the Alan Freed Shows at the Paramount. I am too young to remember them (born 1961). I was wondering if anyone on this site ever been to one.

spencerst
spencerst on June 17, 2005 at 2:21 pm

Robertr
i got the e.mail
but i could not open it

RobertR
RobertR on June 15, 2005 at 7:08 pm

1959 the Paramount advertised itself as the only theatre in Brooklyn to see PERCEPTO………..Vincent Price in “The Tingler” also “The Warrior and the Slave Girl”.

RobertR
RobertR on June 15, 2005 at 12:29 pm

Even stranger
I now found an ad dated 4/1/59 with Alan Freed hosting a show at the Fox.

RobertR
RobertR on June 14, 2005 at 8:26 pm

Sure I have it at work and will send it out to you in the morning. No need to apologize thats what this site is all about sharing info.

Rob

spencerst
spencerst on June 14, 2005 at 8:23 pm

ROBERTR
I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE AD
AND I APOLOGIZE FOR SAYING MURRAY THE K
NEVER PLAYED THE B,P,
PLEASE SEND IT TO

Bruce1
Bruce1 on June 14, 2005 at 8:42 am

TO: RobertR
I would love to see the NY Times ad that billed the show as ‘Clay Cole & Murray the K’s Holiday Show’ please send it to
Bruce1

RobertR
RobertR on June 14, 2005 at 5:55 am

myrtleave

Hi, I have the ad from the NY Times 12/29/60 it’s billed as Clay Cole & Murray the K’s Holiday Show. I can send it to you if you would like to see it.

spencerst
spencerst on June 13, 2005 at 9:56 pm

robertr
murray the k never played the brooklyn paramount
he played the brooklyn fox
go to alan freed.com
and see all the rock and roll shows at the B.p
i think you wouled like it

RobertR
RobertR on June 10, 2005 at 6:55 am

Christmas of 1960 Murray the K had his annual holiday show here starring Brenda Lee and 15 other acts. On screen was Rory Calhoun in “Thunder in Carolina”.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 11, 2005 at 8:24 am

That may be, but all the blueprints were missing when the search was made under ‘new’ construction and were later found under an earlier date, referencing the original construction.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 4, 2005 at 9:02 am

Saps: I spent a lot of time with the architect hired by the last owners of the Loew’s Metropolitan as they prepared to correct the sight lines for the multiplex. While doing her research, she could not find the ‘original blueprints’ filed by Thomas Lamb. By the way, Lamb signed his name bigger than any signer of the Constitution.

She literally haunted the Municipal Archives till they discovered the blueprints under ‘revisions’. The Loew’s Met was originally built around 1914, but at that time it was positively a department store!

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 4, 2005 at 6:36 am

saps;
I have added details on the Loew’s Metropolitan page.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 3, 2005 at 7:40 pm

I don’t think Loew’s Metropolitan was ever a department store.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 2, 2005 at 9:59 pm

Warren, who is that theatre expert? I can only think of one and he wouldn’t make that mistake!
As far as the Brooklyn FOX, from what I hear, the building’s only major tenant is making plans to leave and the storefronts are already empty. I also understand that in the basement, there you’ll find some of the ‘tile work’ from the men’s room of the FOX. Reason: They tore down the FOX, but kept the original foundation. Now, they just might tare down the existing building and put up a nicer & newer building.

To: Robert R. You forgot the ‘Loew’s Melba’ and ‘Loew’s Metropolitan’ (originally a department store) not to mention The Strand, The Majestic (Now BAM’s HARVEY) RKO Orpheum and a few others.

RobertR
RobertR on May 2, 2005 at 4:32 pm

No it was just the theatres in Downtown Brooklyn like The Albee, Fox and Duffield.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on May 2, 2005 at 3:06 pm

Do they have a picture of the Kings in that Applebee’s?

RobertR
RobertR on May 2, 2005 at 10:38 am

The Applebee’s across the Street from the Paramount has a display wall of all the theatres that used to be in the area. They too use the picture from LA. That picture has been identified so much as the real Paramount that it’s almost become truth.

JimRankin
JimRankin on May 2, 2005 at 9:38 am

As mentioned in above posts, the Theatre Historical Society of America has numerous photos, and you may contact their Ex. Director, Richard Sklenar, via his E-mail address or via snail mail at the address on their web page: www.historictheatres.org See their link: ARCHIVE for details about access and pricing.