Chicago Theatre

175 N. State Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

Broan
Broan on May 17, 2006 at 11:10 am

I think someone at the theater told me it was office space now but they were looking at using it. LTS, how was it accessed? Also, please email me some time, i’d like to chat.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 17, 2006 at 11:07 am

In the early 90’s it was still up there, although it was draped like an M&R Cinema: heavy, cheap fabric in funky blues and yellows.

Don’t know if it still remains.

JimRankin
JimRankin on May 17, 2006 at 8:44 am

Ironic that they will open the “Downstairs” when originally there was the “Little Chicago” upstairs. On page 207 of Ben Hall’s landmark book of 1961 THE BEST REMAINING SEATS …, there is an illustration and caption revealing the 250-seat “try-out theatre” on the top floor of the building. Completely equiped and decorated, it was only for the B&K officials and never open to the public. I wonder what it is today.

Broan
Broan on May 17, 2006 at 7:08 am

The Chicago has apparently created a second venue in the basement of the Chicago called “Chicago Theatre Downstairs” opening in July. I believe they were once considering putting two shoebox theatres in this space in the early days of the 1980s renovations.

YMike
YMike on May 13, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Were 3 projector Cinerama films ever screened at the Chicago theatre?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 12, 2006 at 7:56 pm

Great photo submissions. It is a classic.

Hard to believe there was once one just like it at 63rd and Cottage Grove.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 22, 2006 at 1:23 pm

An auditorium view:
Side lobby ceiling details:

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 22, 2006 at 1:15 pm

Two great photographs of the lobby, taken during the Chicago International Film Festival 2005:

Chandelier & ceiling in the lobby:

Patsy
Patsy on October 23, 2005 at 11:34 am

Warren: Great photo!

Patsy
Patsy on October 23, 2005 at 11:33 am

I just saw the movie Chicago with Catherine Zeta-Jones Douglas and near the end of the movie the theatre’s exterior at night is shown with its great vertical marquee and curved window.

dougbruton
dougbruton on August 25, 2005 at 3:53 pm

I didn’t get downtown very much, we lived off 63rd street and then moved to Roseland on 118th street. Mostly I frequented the theaters in Roseland (State, Parkway, Ridge, Normal, Roseland, Verdi)..but I do fondly recall one of the rare trips my Grandparents made to the Loop and we did the town. We went to Navy Pier, window shopped and topped the day off by going to the Chicago Theater and watching “Escape in the Desert” a remake of the Petrified Forest starring Alan Hale, Phillip Dorn, Helmet Dante and Irene Manning. Eddie Peabody (The Banjo King) was the stage show. It was a great experience for me…9 years old to sit in that magnificent structure and watch the great entertainment..even if the film was less than average. People today have missed out on a great era.
Doug Bruton Denison, Texas

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 10, 2005 at 9:24 am

Recent color photos of this theatre can be found on the site: “America’s Stunning Theatres” by photographer and stagehand Noah Kern at: http://www.pbase.com/affablebeef/theatres Comments and information may be left there without registration; such can be public view or only to Mr. Kern. Scroll down the page to find the name, and then click on the sample image above it to be taken to the page of photos of it.

Broan
Broan on June 9, 2005 at 8:04 am

From Russell Phillips' [url=http://www.photoeye.com/Gallery/forms/index.cfm?image=1&id=185859&imagePosition=1&Door=6&Portfolio=Portfolio1&Gallery=0>Galleries</a>:

1982 (pre-restoration) photos of:
Foyer w/ Vending Machine
Ladies Lounge
Auditorium Entry and Proscenium
Auditorium

JimRankin
JimRankin on May 29, 2005 at 6:47 am

IF no one responds to your question about the “suits of armor” you might possibly find the data at the Theatre Historical Soc. just outside of Chicago in Elmhurst. Contact them through their Ex. Director, Rich Sklenar at www.historictheatres.org Their man Joe DuciBella is their resident expert on the CHICAGO and may well be able to help.

suel
suel on May 28, 2005 at 8:28 pm

I am looking for information on the interior of the Chicago Theater, in particular, the suits of armor that were there, possibly in the loge area, prior to the 1950s renovation. THANKS!

suel
suel on May 28, 2005 at 8:28 pm

TRAINPHOTOS
TRAINPHOTOS on May 23, 2005 at 11:20 pm

In 1981, the Chicago Theater was cleaned up somewhat to show a restored print of Abel Gance’s 1928(?) silent classic “Napoleon.” Carmine Coppola (Frances Ford’s father) conducted the Illinois Symphony Orchestra to accompany this. As I was working for Andy Frain Ushering at the time, I was able to work at this and get paid to see it, whereas the public was charged $25.00!

DonM435
DonM435 on May 4, 2005 at 3:26 pm

They had a good-sized screening room upstairs. I saw an advance of The Poseidon Adventure with a group of invited college newspaper editors.

freddyr
freddyr on May 4, 2005 at 12:14 pm

John, thank you for your offer. I have updated my profile to open my email address. Please send all Chicago theater bookings from 64 thru 80 (and other downtown theater bookings if you have them). Thank you! Thank you!

JohnSanchez
JohnSanchez on May 3, 2005 at 7:15 am

Freddy – I have the bookings of the Chicago from 1964-1980. Leave your email addy and I will send the list to you from 64-70. If you want the bookings from 71-80 let me know.