RKO Keith's Theatre

135-35 Northern Boulevard,
Flushing, NY 11354

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,241 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm

“Drama at the Keiths” Now Playing at RKO Keith’s…

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on August 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm

In the rush to demolish part of Flushing’s history, this fallen column got left behind in the balcony:

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 31, 2011 at 12:08 am

It’s stunning that so much stunning detail survives in a space heavily advertised as gutted: This section from the de-landmarked auditorium is about 1 sq ft of 34,600 sq ft (includes the balcony)

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 30, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks for pix’s. This theater must have been a stunner when it opened and operated!

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Fireplace in Ladies Smoking Room No. 144 (de-landmarked); July 2011.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Wow, look at that utter devastation! What a shame there is “nothing left” of the auditorium worth preserving…

p.s. For what it’s worth (not much) my comment did, indeed, get posted at Queens Chronicle.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm

From the auditorium, July 2011:

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’ve submitted a response comment on Queens Chronicle; we’ll see if it gets approved and posted.

robboehm
robboehm on July 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

Sounds similar to the slogan about the Plaza in Patchogue – Blight to light. Big deal, they’re going to tear it down and put up a fence like they did with other blighted properties rather than let PlazaMAC exercise their plan to renew the space. The situation of the Keith’s is not dissimilar.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Sorry again; this seems like deja vu. I must be developing fatal degradation of my sarcasm meter.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Of course I was not serious about being happy with the lobby plans. I read all of the earlier posts. But then again, no lobby at all would be worse. Loved your Roxy photos Ed Solero!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

More like Thomas Huang failed in his attempt to completely destroy the theater…he was stopped before he could finish the job, and had to settle for mortally wounding it.

BobbyS, I trust you are not seriously happy that “the ornate lobby will be saved and restored!” Go back and read some of the earlier discussion about what that actually entails.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Thomas Huang “failed at [his] attempt to revamp” the theater?!? More like he successfully torpedoed any hope that the entire structure would ever be returned to viability in its original form!!! Vandalism, is what it was.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

LuisV, thanks for the update. I was wondering what was happening on the site. I guess we should be happy the ornate lobby will be saved and restored!

LuisV
LuisV on July 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The Condo Plan has received Final Approval. Construction to start by the end of the year. It still calls for the “ornate lobby to be preserved”.

Developer gets final approval to transform landmarked Queens theater into condos July 13, 2011 04:30PM

RKO Keith’s Theater Having just received the final approval from the Board of Standards and Appeals, developer Patrick Thompson is moving ahead with plans to turn the landmarked RKO Keith’s Theater in downtown Flushing, Queens into a 17-story, 357-unit residential rental complex, according to Crain’s.

“I am very delighted and look forward to starting construction,” Thompson said.

At the close of last year, Thompson submitted his plans to the board, which included a modification of plans that had been submitted by its previous owner. The new proposal included increasing the number of units from 200, increasing parking spaces inside the building to 385 from 229 and increasing the retail square footage to 17,000 from 11,000, according to Crain’s.

“This long-neglected site is finally on the road to rebirth as a mixed-used development that will provide much needed housing and a senior center,” Queens Borough President Helen Marshall said. “From the 1920s to the 1980s, when it was vacated, the RKO Keith was a major entertainment Mecca for everything from vaudeville shows to motion pictures.”

Thompson is the third in a string of developers that have taken on the site. Two previous owners — Thomas Huang and Shaya Boymelgreen — failed in their attempts to revamp it.

Thompson expects to start construction by the end of the year. [Crain’s]

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Okay, it’s getting spooky. Somebody complains about the order of the comments, and they get switched. Somebody complains about the lead photo, and it gets changed. It’s almost like somebody in authority is MONITORING this page… or could it be this is the place where wishes come true? Hm…that gives me an idea…

It sure would be nice if that stupid condo plan was dropped and somebody committed a lot of money to rehab the whole theater! (Oh, and it would also be nice if cash would start shooting out of my computer…)

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Interesting concept from the former BP: a “cancer” that, instead of growing, seems to continually shrink.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on June 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

The relief sculpture face is from the de-landmarked auditorium, actually one of many surviving details in a space advertised as having nothing left; a convenient thought if believe as the former BP does:“The RKO Keith’s has been like a cancer in downtown Flushing forever”.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 3, 2011 at 7:36 am

Tinseltoes, you are 100% right about the photo of the wall decoration. Also right about reading a book backwards! “You are right on the money”.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Actually, not a board game, but a game with which I am bored. Haven’t watched it in a while.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Tinseltoes, clearly you are not a fan of Jeopardy!

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am

I was in Ny last week and once again we flew over the remains of the Keiths. It looked grim. But I thought of all the beauty inside from all of your pictures just waiting to be brought back to life.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on June 2, 2011 at 6:45 am

Yes I too jumped to conclusions, after only seeing the first page of the site (one gets used to only hearing bad news about the Keith’s). I thought Cinema Treasures was only going to have a first page – kind of like a cover sheet – that would be preserved, followed by 17 pages of real estate rental listings. In a parallel to the theatre itself I was assuming there could never possibly be anything of value by looking further.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on May 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

Ed, you’re right — I take it back. If I scroll back far enough, there are photos… I thought there were photos more recently than that, so I didn’t see them. And it turns out the links ARE there, they just don’t appear in different color type the way they used to (at least, in Google Chrome) so I didn’t realize they were live links.

Change is sometimes hard to get used to for us old fogies. (OK, so I’M the old fogey.) Scrolling back multiple pages takes some getting used to…but I guess it’s a decent tradeoff for not having to wait forever for one whole endless page of comments and photos to load!