RKO Keith's Theatre

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,379 comments

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on July 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm

From the auditorium, July 2011:

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’ve submitted a response comment on Queens Chronicle; we’ll see if it gets approved and posted.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 15, 2011 at 6:17 am

Still more press coverage: qchron

robboehm
robboehm on July 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

Sounds similar to the slogan about the Plaza in Patchogue – Blight to light. Big deal, they’re going to tear it down and put up a fence like they did with other blighted properties rather than let PlazaMAC exercise their plan to renew the space. The situation of the Keith’s is not dissimilar.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Sorry again; this seems like deja vu. I must be developing fatal degradation of my sarcasm meter.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Of course I was not serious about being happy with the lobby plans. I read all of the earlier posts. But then again, no lobby at all would be worse. Loved your Roxy photos Ed Solero!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on July 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

More like Thomas Huang failed in his attempt to completely destroy the theater…he was stopped before he could finish the job, and had to settle for mortally wounding it.

BobbyS, I trust you are not seriously happy that “the ornate lobby will be saved and restored!” Go back and read some of the earlier discussion about what that actually entails.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Thomas Huang “failed at [his] attempt to revamp” the theater?!? More like he successfully torpedoed any hope that the entire structure would ever be returned to viability in its original form!!! Vandalism, is what it was.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

LuisV, thanks for the update. I was wondering what was happening on the site. I guess we should be happy the ornate lobby will be saved and restored!

LuisV
LuisV on July 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The Condo Plan has received Final Approval. Construction to start by the end of the year. It still calls for the “ornate lobby to be preserved”.

Developer gets final approval to transform landmarked Queens theater into condos July 13, 2011 04:30PM

RKO Keith’s Theater Having just received the final approval from the Board of Standards and Appeals, developer Patrick Thompson is moving ahead with plans to turn the landmarked RKO Keith’s Theater in downtown Flushing, Queens into a 17-story, 357-unit residential rental complex, according to Crain’s.

“I am very delighted and look forward to starting construction,” Thompson said.

At the close of last year, Thompson submitted his plans to the board, which included a modification of plans that had been submitted by its previous owner. The new proposal included increasing the number of units from 200, increasing parking spaces inside the building to 385 from 229 and increasing the retail square footage to 17,000 from 11,000, according to Crain’s.

“This long-neglected site is finally on the road to rebirth as a mixed-used development that will provide much needed housing and a senior center,” Queens Borough President Helen Marshall said. “From the 1920s to the 1980s, when it was vacated, the RKO Keith was a major entertainment Mecca for everything from vaudeville shows to motion pictures.”

Thompson is the third in a string of developers that have taken on the site. Two previous owners — Thomas Huang and Shaya Boymelgreen — failed in their attempts to revamp it.

Thompson expects to start construction by the end of the year. [Crain’s]

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Okay, it’s getting spooky. Somebody complains about the order of the comments, and they get switched. Somebody complains about the lead photo, and it gets changed. It’s almost like somebody in authority is MONITORING this page… or could it be this is the place where wishes come true? Hm…that gives me an idea…

It sure would be nice if that stupid condo plan was dropped and somebody committed a lot of money to rehab the whole theater! (Oh, and it would also be nice if cash would start shooting out of my computer…)

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Interesting concept from the former BP: a “cancer” that, instead of growing, seems to continually shrink.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on June 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

The relief sculpture face is from the de-landmarked auditorium, actually one of many surviving details in a space advertised as having nothing left; a convenient thought if believe as the former BP does:“The RKO Keith’s has been like a cancer in downtown Flushing forever”.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 3, 2011 at 7:36 am

Tinseltoes, you are 100% right about the photo of the wall decoration. Also right about reading a book backwards! “You are right on the money”.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 3, 2011 at 6:39 am

With all the RKO Keith’s images that have been posted here over the years, why does the CT listing have to start off with a photo of a wall decoration in ravaged condition? Doesn’t make sense! Even a Google Maps exterior view of the current decaying building would be better.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Actually, not a board game, but a game with which I am bored. Haven’t watched it in a while.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Jeff, if you mean the MGM suspense movie “Jeopardy” with Barbara Stanwyck, I loved it! But I wouldn’t recommend watching it backwards, because you would know who the villain was. I’m unfamiliar with anything else entitled “Jeopardy.” Is it perhaps a board game?

JeffM55
JeffM55 on June 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Tinseltoes, clearly you are not a fan of Jeopardy!

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am

I was in Ny last week and once again we flew over the remains of the Keiths. It looked grim. But I thought of all the beauty inside from all of your pictures just waiting to be brought back to life.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 2, 2011 at 7:18 am

I hate the new system of reverse chronology. It’s like having to read a book backwards. When someone raises a question, you are likely to read the answer before you get to the query.

SWCphotography
SWCphotography on June 2, 2011 at 6:45 am

Yes I too jumped to conclusions, after only seeing the first page of the site (one gets used to only hearing bad news about the Keith’s). I thought Cinema Treasures was only going to have a first page – kind of like a cover sheet – that would be preserved, followed by 17 pages of real estate rental listings. In a parallel to the theatre itself I was assuming there could never possibly be anything of value by looking further.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on May 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

Ed, you’re right — I take it back. If I scroll back far enough, there are photos… I thought there were photos more recently than that, so I didn’t see them. And it turns out the links ARE there, they just don’t appear in different color type the way they used to (at least, in Google Chrome) so I didn’t realize they were live links.

Change is sometimes hard to get used to for us old fogies. (OK, so I’M the old fogey.) Scrolling back multiple pages takes some getting used to…but I guess it’s a decent tradeoff for not having to wait forever for one whole endless page of comments and photos to load!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 31, 2011 at 9:35 am

Jeff and SWC… have to agree with Bway. Appears that all the links are still working fine and the photos that were embedded in the comments are still visible as well. As Bway said, you have to view all comments and page through to find the older posts with embedded pics.

When I first read SWC’s comment, I thought maybe the new website design would not allow embedded photos (since they have always been against the site comment policy), but I can still view them same as before. Perhaps your browser requires updating for the site to load properly? Just a thought.

As for any other complaints or issues (such as no “new comment” box when viewing all comments), I think Patrick and Ross are open to suggestions for improving the new site. I may offer a few comments myself with regards to minor issues like that. The forum for that would probably be the “Cinema Treasures relaunch” article in the Blog section of the site.

JeffM55
JeffM55 on May 31, 2011 at 8:02 am

Bway, not sure what you’re talking about. Even when I view all comments, I’m not seeing any of the photos or links. And I had to create a new identity to get in, because the site refuses to recognize my old one. (And my last comment stating this was deleted!)