Comments from BobT

BobT commented about Bay Shore Cinema on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Yup, that’s her. The theater sat just outside the UA Bayshore Twin Drive-In though run seperate. Just down the road from the Lowes South Shore Mall theater, later twinned. Once 5 screens in a short distance no no longer represented at all. Here at the Cinema, I saw such fare as “Coal Miners Daughter” and “Jaws 3D”. Went under the Blue Ribbon Theater banner.

BobT commented about Commack Multiplex Cinemas on Nov 24, 2008 at 2:59 pm

I’m certain that that this theater will have the same fate The Commack Twin, The Mayfair, Deer Park, North Babylon & Brentwood faced when they opened, now that the Regal Deer Park Stadium 16 & IMAX has opened down the road in Deer Park.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:49 pm

The Christmas show is Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" beginning Dec 19th

BobT commented about Elwood Cinemas on Oct 10, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Love the fact The Commack Multiplex couldn’t kill it, as it did the Deer Park and Brentwood. Good for them.

BobT commented about Loew's State Theatre on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Who ever thought that knocking this treasure down and replacing it with a four screen complex and retail space hopefully is gainfully unemployed. Not only has the four-plex closed years ago, now it’s announced the giant Virgin Megastore is closing early 2009. It was ridiculous having the theaters threes stories down inside the Megastore with virtually no marquee, just a thin zipper type LED sign, hidden among the glitz of the Megastore signage to alert movies goers to what was playing. Who knows what is going to take the space, it is huge but there are no movie theaters in Times Square proper and that really should be unacceptable. What a waste.

BobT
BobT commented about Wednesday is the new Friday for movie openings on Aug 13, 2008 at 6:06 pm

In the late 60’s and early 70’s, “Starts Wednesday” was the norm for a picture. “Star Wars”, “The Godfather”, “The Exorcist”, all opened on Wednesday. The studios finally figured out that when they opened pictures on Wed, the reviews would be out before the weekend and if lousy, people wouldn’t go. Open on Friday and the reviews would not be in the paper until Saturday maybe even Monday and the audience wouldn’t know it was a clunker.

BobT commented about AMC Empire 25 on Jul 19, 2008 at 7:01 pm

“I haven’t been to any megaplex that doesn’t look have the "look and feel” of an airport once you get past the lobby so this is an unfair ctriticism of this theater in particular."

Try the Sony Lowe’s AMC Lincoln Square/IMAX or whatever the Hell it’s called now up on Broadway and 68th Street. So many names changes for such a young complex. Each auditorium is a tribute to a real “Cinema Treasure”. Anyway, there is no doubt you are in a movie theater and it’s great, and their escalator can give the AMC 25 a run for their money.

/theaters/7222/

BobT commented about AMC Empire 25 on Jul 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm

“Any chance this place is in danger of closing?”

Isn’t this, if not number one, then definitely one of the top grossing theaters in the world? Why would they close? I gotta tell you though, seeing a movie here is just an ordeal. 3:00pm Saturday afternoon matinée. One cashier for twenty five screens, and I’ll admit, she was working her butt off and sporadically another cashier would come out from behind a wall behind the box office, but it was a wait. OK, opening weekend of “Journey To the Center Of the Earth” 3D. Of course the theater is so high up, they could sell Oxygen tanks at the concession stand. The escalators up are not for the claustrophobic. Each level has the look and feel of an airport, and if they didn’t have standees placed around, you can think you were waiting for a flight. After what seems like five escalators up, the theater was a huge pigsty. McDonald’s and other outside food boxes all over. Again, the staff worked hard to get it in shape for our sold out crowd. Great digital 3D projection, crowd well behaved. Absolutely not my first choice to see a flick but the digital 3D is still not available everywhere. Special points for the hard working courteous staff.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jul 19, 2008 at 2:59 pm

11:00am “Mamma Mia!” show here. Not since “Back To The Beach” has this many fifty somethings sung and danced in the surf. And even though I thought the film was a glorious mess, as was the stage show, our Ziegfeld, as always, elevated the experience and I had a fine time. No curtain but a gorgeous crystal clear digital print and even though the sound is state of the art, it couldn’t quite help Mr.Brosnan find those notes.(combined with the great looking new 007 trailer, a sorta double ouch for Pierce).Like “Dreamgirls”, they had a glass case with some costume and memorabilia from the film in the inner lobby. It’s cool that if you stand on the corner of 54th and 6th you can see both the marquee of the still playing original Broadway show and the The Movie marquee, what other city can claim that?. In fact The Ziegfeld played “RENT”, “The Producers”, “Chicago”, “Phantom Of the Opera”,& “Hairspray”, while the Broadway productions were playing a few blocks away. I know I might sound jaded, but this really is THE theater to see a musical, and combining my love of Broadway and movies, I sure as Hell, do not take it for granted. I would love to see a fall series of musicals they have played thru the years, like Grease" last year, that people missed like “Tommy”, “Dreamgirls”, “Moulin Rouge”, “Cabaret” “Sweeney Todd” and such.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jul 8, 2008 at 9:16 pm

“The Poseidon Adventure”?!? I’m so there. A couple of months ago I was lucky enough to meet both Ernest Borgnine and Stella Stevens and they signed my Poseidon Special Edition DVD and instantly became a kid again. Don’t forget “The Towering Inferno”, topped off with a special two week return engagement for the 35th Anniversary of “Earthquake” in Sensurround! A boy can dream, can’t he?

BobT
BobT commented about After 30 years, GREASE is still the word! on Jun 13, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Another interesting bit is during the scene where Danny is singing “Sandy” at the drive-In, they are playing a classic concession stand intermission trailer. At the end of the song when Travolta is sitting on the swing, a hot dog jumps into a bun at the exact end of the song on cue. Only thing, as Kleiser states in America Cinematographer Magazine,it was not planned, and they never knew it even happened until they got into the editing room. On looking at it you would think it was planned and timed to the second for months. Let’s take a look, shall we?

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 2, 2008 at 11:21 pm

“I think I know why Ziegfeld audiences laugh at the opening monologue. It sounds like one of J. Peterman’s catalog entries from Seinfeld.”

I just watched it in HD from Monsters HD Channel and has no one noticed, he’s smoking a cigar during the speech. He’s smoking in a space craft, how naive in 1968. Then right before he enters his sleep chamber he unzips the pocket in his suit and inserts the cigar. I think it’s the cigar actually, I certainly did a double take.

BobT commented about National Theatre on Mar 9, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Seeing the death of this Queen, it smacks you in the face how much more important the “Business” is, in the glorious term, Show Business. Like daydreaming about winning the lotto, and what would you do with the fortune, I wonder why the people that have made their fortunes by telling their stories to enraptured audiences with flickering light, sit back and watch old Hollywood die away. That anticipation with standing on line on a warm summer night, watching the faces of the exiting show, knowing you were about to go on a thrilling ride. I imagine a group of Oscar winning directors pooling some of their fortune and coming to save the day. Securing a place where generations can see their work with the tradition of the big screen, the grand curtain opening. Taking a cue from Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks and truly becoming united artists, but that’s just selfish me. I never got to experience this lovely lady, in my travels to Hollywood, I ran to the Chinese, for fear she too one day would be gone. I’m sorry I missed it. I’m sorry generations to come will too. Now with 60" screens in living rooms almost as big as the small screens of the 35plex, you can get the movie, but you’ll never get the magic. The actual thrill of a thousand unsuspecting souls leaping out of their seats as Carrie White’s hand emerges from her grave, followed by nervous embarrassed laughter for being caught off guard, or the thunderous applause through tears as ET’s ship soars through the sky. These are just a few of my countless versions of other’s Babe Ruth homerun or Super Bowl memories. These Cinema Treasures are my Shea Stadium and Wrigley Fields. Appreciate them while we have them.

BobT
BobT commented about Boulton Center for the Performing Arts on Feb 1, 2008 at 7:56 pm

The Regent can be seen briefly in the movie “Last Summer”. Directed by Frank Perry, the film was about four teens spending the summer on Fire Island. Starring Bruce Davidson, Barbra Hershey, Richard Thomas before John Boy Walton and Cathy Burns who received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. There’s a scene where the four are running out of the theater to catch the ferry.

BobT commented about Times Square Theatre on Jan 18, 2008 at 2:06 pm

If there was ever an opportunity for Disney to swoop in an rescue this theater, it is now. Like The El Capitan, they can open their pictures in digital and have a stage show. I know about the loading dock but they don’t do full blown Broadway productions in LA so the load in would be minimal. Can you imagine a marquee like the El Capitan on 42nd street?

BobT commented about Winter in the Hamptons on Jan 13, 2008 at 4:19 pm

A little trivia about The Bay Street Theater. One of the founders is Emma Walton, daughter of Oscar winners Julie Andrews and Tony Walton. She also apperared in some of her stepdad Blake Edward’s films. Not a bad Hollywood pedigree.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 14, 2007 at 3:40 am

Hey Justin, “Batman” didn’t play The Ziegfeld, it played at the Criterion in Times Square, I was there opening day and believe me if it were up on 54th Street, I would have been there. All three Indiana Jones movies played The Astor Plaza. Alas both are gone now. With “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” opening in May, and “The Dark Knight” in July, if the powers that be are wise, both will be able to play The Ziegfeld.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Does anyone know if this is the first time The Ziegfeld has played a separate midnight show? I certainly don’t remember it ever happening.

BobT commented about Hauppauge Theater on Oct 9, 2007 at 10:10 pm

“Don’t Cook Tonight….Call Chicken Delight!”

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:53 pm

“Sad however because it looks like the auditorium is not being fully lit anymore. Don’t know why people do this.”

The auditorium is in fine form. The lighting is dimmer because they have a pre-show on the screen.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 7, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Saturday 4:00 show, about 75% full. Pre-show full digital presentation, and for what it is, it looked beautiful. Not the same old badly lit hard to read slide show anymore. After the pre-show, the lights dimmed and the curtains closed. The the main curtain opened leaving the sheer curtain behind closed and then it opened and they ran trailers for ‘A Bee Movie" and their Christmas booking, Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s “Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street”, the musical. Then the feature. The sound must have been tweaked since Movieguy’s show because it was perfect. I would definitely describe it as on the loud side over “comfortable” and crystal clear. Then again I saw “Hairspray” opening day and that was perfect too, I don’t know why anyone would have complained about it. My only problem with “Blade Runner” is that the movie itself, still isn’t a great movie. Absolutely stunning visuals, so much better than today’s CGI, and a gorgeous Vangelis soundtrack. It’s awfully slow in parts and you can tell when the audience gets restless and there were more than a few people making trips to the lobby. Being in the front row of the balcony, I saw them all.

Gotta say I’m loving these digital presentations. Between “Dreamgirls”, “Hairspray” and now “Blade Runner”, each presentation has been gorgeous. I walked in this theater for the very first time 33 years ago this week to see the then, state of the art 70MM, 6 Track Stereo Presentation of “2001” A Space Odyssey, and here this beautiful theater is still alive (and in better shape than I am!) with state of the art presentations. After “Blade Runner” they have Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” in Digital 3D.

BobT commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Oct 1, 2007 at 8:16 pm

OK how about this? I’m reading today’s threads about “The Wall” in 70MM to which I also saw here and I was going to comment on the film vs digital and how I’ve been coming to this beauty since so and so and how great the projection is, yadda yadda. So I scroll all the way up to AlAlvarez’s amazing booking list to see when I first step foot in this beauty and lo and behold my first Ziegfeld picture opened 33 years ago TODAY! On Wed 10/02/74, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in 70MM opened and I went to the first matinée on Saturday.

OK so I have been going to this theater for 33 years (did I say that out loud!?) and almost every feature was 70MM and NEVER had anything relating to a bad experience and they are continuing the tradition with their digital shows. I saw both “Dreamgirls” and “Hairspray” in digital and they were both nothing short of flawless. I don’t know anything about 2K or 4K but I don’t know how much better it could possibly look.

BobT commented about Visual Arts Theatre on Sep 25, 2007 at 7:11 pm

I can remember every movie I ever saw and where I saw it but one. It was here when the theater was a triplex. I came in from Long Island with a friend and I even got a great parking spot right in front. It was for an exclusive engagement of a Scandinavian fantasy film with a falcon that seemed to be a family movie until a scene where a bunch of guys were in a sauna and all comically jumped out into the snow and started making snow angels, with full frontal male nudity. The audience was like WTF? This was about 1985 and my friend is no help, he doesn’t even remember going to the theater.

Years later, I saw “Evita” here when it was a twin and they had a sign in the box office saying they used strobe lights. I don’t know about anywhere else, but in NY especially during Broadway shows, they have signs when strobe lights are used in case anyone is epileptic. Before the movie, they had a trailer for “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” and it was a thunder storm with glimpses of the T-Rex with surround effects and the strobe flashed during the lightening. It’s the only place I saw that trailer and it really had nothing to do with the actual movie when it opened.

BobT
BobT commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Sep 25, 2007 at 3:20 am

When “T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous” played upstairs, it had the best ballyhoo/promotional display I ever saw. It was a full size T-Rex head, attached to the front of the complex wall on Broadway, up high with broken bricks around the neck that made it look like it had crashed thru the wall. It was neat.

BobT
BobT commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Sep 24, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Returned to my old neighborhood hangout this weekend to see a very crowded 4:00 showing of an exclusive engagement of “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” Starring Brad Pitt. It was nice to see the complex, now in AMC’s hands in good condition. While the film just might possibly be the slowest moving picture I’ve ever seen in all my movie going life, the cinematography is Oscar worthy and the projection was so crystal clear I actually thought it was digital projection for while. That is until I saw cigarettes burns at a reel change and boy I haven’t noticed those in a film in while. The theater though not stadium, was pitched and at two hours and forty minutes and fifteen minutes of trailers it was very comfortable.