Showing all 3 comments
Just received this information from the unidentified donor of the restored curtain…
“When the proscenium was widened (to accommodate Cinemascope projection), the height was lowered considerably so as to take a new steel beam to cross the greater width. A completely new, and very plain, blue curtain was installed, without the old valance or any decoration on it at all.” That curtain remained until the 1990s. The new proscenium and curtain have reinstated the original proportions of 1928.
The Barclay continued to run films into the 1980s. One of the last was a reissue of ‘Gone With The Wind’. It was looking very tired in its last few years. Around 1984 it closed for good when the Greater Union Orgainization built a new multiplex a few blocks up the road on the site of the former Rapallo and Paramount theatres.
A video postcard from a cinema / theatre still in the midst of being renovated. Another of the surviving Kaberry & Chard cinemas, common through the states of regional New South Wales and Victoria in the 1920s and 1930s.