Showing 1 - 25 of 3,374 comments
In 1938 or 1939.
1927 film by John Ford.
The source of many of the ethnic Italian-language films shown here when it was the Cinema Giglio was the importer-distributor Casolaro-Giglio, on Lafayette Street.
“Il Principe dalla Maschera Rossa.”
Saw this here the summer of 1959!
As the “Dreamland.”
Arena Cinema Verdi.
Plus Times Square & Lyric theatres.
“Over 15 years” meant the theatre had been opened in 1926 or earlier, though the tavern mostly likely had already been there.
As kids we could walk down that alley and across a precarious foot-bridge over the Pocasset River to reach the rear of St. Rocco’s Church, after the church opened in 1951.
In a 1919 city directory another theatre at about the same address is given as 191 Charles Street and named the Palace Casino. Perhaps the Windsor and the Palace Casino were the same theatre with different names.
The address was given as 167 Charles Street in a 1913 city directory.
Since Ferri’s Casino was listed for films for a September 1926 Paramount week in RI, it clearly was first opened that year or before.
This theatre was an outgrowth of Ferri’s Casino Theatre, around the corner on Plainfield Street. That was a tavern with a fully functional movie theatre. That theatre existed from around 1929 to 1941. The Ferri family built Ferri’s Block which would house the Johnston Theatre on its second floor, and the theatre part of Ferri’s Casino would then be closed in 1941.
Probably late 1930s or early 1940s.
Lost film, presumably.
1937 or so.
Self-serve, free refills.