Showing 4 comments
The seating capacity of the Alhambra was 1931
The Playhouse Theatre in Durban was originally opened on 7th June 1935 as a live theatre. It only became a venue for film shows later on. It was converted back to a live theatre venue when the Kinekor Organisation closed the establishment in the 1970s. It then became the official venue of the then Natal Performing Arts Council.It had no connection to the Prince’s Theatre (not Princess)which was situated on an adjacent city block. This particular theatre was refurbished in the late 1960s to become the Colosseum Theatre.
The Colosseum Theatre Durban was a complete refurbishment of the old Prince’s Theatre which was situated next to the Embassy Theatre. This happened in the late 1960s to accommodate the so-called ‘road show’ presentations in 70mm of Fox Theatres who owned the cinema chain which was formerly operated by African Consolidated Theatres.
The Kine Centre was owned and operated by the Kinekor Organisation