Comments from NYer

NYer commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm

“The Rose” opened in NY exclusively but also opened on Long Island and New Jersey. “Apocalypse Now” & “Close Encounters Of The Third Kind” were east coast exclusives. Opening ads in photo section.

NYer commented about South Shore Mall Twin on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:25 pm

If you consider the front of the mall the side that faced Sunrise Highway, the theater was around in the back. You couldn’t see it from the highway.

NYer commented about Capitol Theatre on May 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm

“Cheyenne Autumn” New York Times premiere ad posted in photos. No mention, including The Times review mentions Cinerama, only Super Panavsion 70.

NYer commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

A lot of us get it,Vito. So sad that new generations don’t get to experience what we treasure, when going to the movies and standing online early on a warm summer night to get your favorite seat with friends was as much fun as the show itself. They will miss movie palaces, roadshow “exclusive” engagements, Drive-Ins, and great double features! Time marches on. Unfortunately it marches right over us.

NYer commented about Century's Plainview on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm

The Ghost light!

NYer commented about Circus Cinema on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:05 am

Used to pass this theater all time going into Video Shack, the premiere place to get VHS at the time. I was always curious, being a theater lover, what kind of theater it was. Was it upstairs? Carved out of an office building? I know it was always an adult theater but was it actually presentable? Sloped floor? All questions I ’m sure their clientele wasn’t interested in. There doesn’t seem to be any pictures of the interior.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm

You can see ads for both, last week for “Funny Girl” and opening ad for “Paint Your Wagon” here on page 17 of The Long Islander, a weekly paper based in Huntington. This site has many archived LI papers.

NYer commented about Crown Gotham Theatre on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

How do you access past NY Times? Are they digital copies of the edition or only articles? Can you see the past movie ads?

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on Aug 8, 2013 at 1:00 am

Sorry you weren’t happy Vito about the look on America’s Got Talent". I think the Grande Dame looks amazing. You know how close RCMH came to being another nondescript office building. She’s alive and well on the number one show on TV. The Judges, contestants and the host all talk constantly about how iconic and important the theater is and how honored everyone is to perform on that stage. When the show ends, it’ll be put back in original condition. All new generations that have never been to NYC are seeing it shine. It’s all good.

NYer commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm

“There are very few people alive who’ve ever seen ‘Wizard of Oz’ in a movie theater, let alone an Imax movie theater,” said Richard Gelfond, chief executive of Imax Corp.

What a ridiculous statement. “The Wizard Of Oz” was rereleased to theaters nationwide with 1979 prints on November 6, 1998.

NYer commented about AMC Rockaway 16 on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:04 am

First time a few weeks ago. Saw flat “Star Trek” in the last theater next to the exit doors. The projection was clear, sound good and I had a fine time. No hesitation returning. Walked into the IMAX to check the screen. It didn’t seem any bigger worth paying premium for. Kudos to AMC, both doormen on duty were in motorized wheelchairs, nice to see.

NYer commented about 55th Street Playhouse on May 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

There was a discussion of a lost film here called “Him” and if it actually played here. I’ve been doing research trying to find a lost documentary I know I saw as a kid about the space program. Anyway, I have been going through all the Village Voices from the 70’s which are available on line and not only did “Him” play here, it played three separate multi-week engagements thru ‘73 –'75 with big half page ads to boot.

NYer commented about Whitman Theatre on May 4, 2013 at 11:38 pm

August 25 1966 Adam West & Burt Ward star in the feature version of “Batman” with special live appearance of Batman & Robin!

SUFFOLK HISTORIC NEWSPAPERS has years of digital back issues of The Long Islander, a local newspaper with weekly movie ads included.

NYer commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Uh oh. I saw “Les Miz” Sunday eve and for the first time in thirty plus years I have to say I was disappointed.

First, turning onto 54th street I was shocked that there was no marquee panel. Oh no, maybe the wind blew it out, it was wicked that day. Walking to the other side, nope, NY’s Premiere movie theater had basic letters on a track for it’s big Christmas picture. Never seen that in the hundreds of times I’ve passed by. It looked like any dollar house in the suburbs. I asked the usher about it, and he said was “all I know is they are working on it”. This for a feature a week in release already and booked months ago.

Then waiting for the previous show to break and I notice the lobby carpet is dirty. First in the auditorium, head for my favorite seat, front row mezzanine aisle and it’s broken, unusable.

First fifteen minutes, no music or even screen ads and it was more noticeable because of the big naked screen staring at us. How much could it really cost to open and close a curtain five times a day. That’s what it was installed for. In the past,even neighborhood theaters had curtains. Multiplexes killed this tradition and this is what makes this theater unique.

Staff, projection and sound first rate as always but it’s obvious Clearview has given up while waiting for a buyer. The gorgeous Ziegfeld Theater deserves better.

NYer commented about The Space at Westbury on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thank you for the updated photos ED, it’s appreciated. Some progress is better than no progress.

NYer commented about Rivoli Theatre on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

As it says in the article, “My Favorite Year” starring Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker were filming and that’s the faux marquee of “House Of Wax” that can be seen in the opening credits.

NYer commented about New Metro Twin on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm

How in world are they going to build five screens with stadium seating and tables plus a lobby and kitchen in that little single screen space?

NYer commented about National Twin on May 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Don’t remember what theater it was, but it was on the New Amsterdam side and I believe in the middle of the block. I remember because “It’s Alive” had that great teaser trailer with the baby carriage and I stood there and watch it a few times and it was soooo cool for a kid.

This was the trailer…

NYer commented about National Twin on May 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Yes, The National had a trailer kiosk. Lots of theaters in Times Sq. had them. I remember even one on 42nd St. that was playing the trailer for Larry Cohen’s “It’s Alive”. Others I remember were the Warner/Penthouse/Cinerama, The Demille, Criterion & Movieland.

NYer commented about Sutton Theater on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:19 am

And at 95 Ernest Borgnine is still going strong. I got to meet just a few years ago and I was thrilled he signed my “Marty” DVD.

NYer commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This past Sunday they had a one show performance of the concert version of Stephen Sondheim’s “Company”. I read on another forum that it was a Blu-ray they showed. When I questioned as to why he thought it was a from a Blu-ray disc, because he might have thought a “Digital Presentation” was a DVD, he reported that the actual Blu-ray menu appeared on screen after the credits.

NYer commented about UA Sunrise Mall 9 on Jun 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

The fifth movie opening week I believe was a re-issue of “Jaws” which played in the smallest theater. And I believe in all there was only 9 screens. Original 1-5 in the main lobby, 6&7 down the left hall and 8&9 down the right hallway. Did they add a tenth somewhere?

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Daddy Warbucks, Grace and Little Orphan Annie go to the movies. Note that the clip isn’t letterboxed as Columbia hasn’t bothered to release a proper DVD

NYer commented about "Jaws"... Happy 35th! on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:26 am

The Long Island link is wrong too. It was not The Bayshore Cinema that played “Jaws” but the UA Bay Shore. The UA Bay Shore was in town and five minutes away from the Fire Island Ferry where the Cinema was across Sunrise Highway.

/theaters/6206/

Absolutely love this film. Front row balcony. Half the fun in returns visits was to lean foward and watch the audience jump through out. Years later, I got to meet Richard Dreyfuss and Susan Blacklinie who was the first victim, and have them sign the DVD.

Here’s an ad slick for the New York area provided by RobertR in The UA Rivoli fourm

NYer commented about Commack Multiplex Cinemas on May 28, 2010 at 4:29 am

Also fitting that when this theater opened, it killed The Deer Park Theater and now Regal Deer Park Stadium 16 & IMAX killed this.