Comments from NYer

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on Mar 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Congrats on a great article Bob, and for an even greater career. Thank you for sharing your memories of “The Music Hall”, and thank you for helping me make memories of my own from front row balcony to center orchestra. I’m sure you were up there on my many visits. Sounds like you have a cool book in you.

NYer commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Feb 13, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards. Winner of 3 including Best Picture.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Feb 10, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Hey Tom, doing a fast search, when each of those films listed opened, Syosset and The 150 were presenting either a Roadshow or Exclusive Engagement. Each Beatle film opened through out the Island.

NYer commented about Woods Theatre on Jan 11, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Agree great 3-D Blu-ray. First scene has an airplane wing that pops out of the screen too.

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on Dec 19, 2016 at 2:47 am

It was so bitter cold waiting outside on line for the 10PM show Mr. Coppola supplied hot Pea Soup to warm the sold out crowd.

NYer commented about Astor Theatre on Nov 22, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Comfortably Cool (great ads, truly appreciated, thanks!) and I have posted various ads where genuine Oscar winning movie stars would jump in a car and spend opening weekends touring theaters that have opened their picture. Way before my time, but I would have been there front row and center.

Who would expect to meet Shirley MacLaine at a Drive-in in upstate NY on Thanksgiving night? (ad in photo section) Or have Bob Hope and Lucille Ball show up at my neighborhood theater on Saturday night? Has anyone have any stories, or experience, or maybe their parents stories with these personal appearances?

NYer commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:58 am

“Someone long ago told me that this was the first commercially viable 2-screen theatre in the US. I believe it was Abe Geller, the architect, but I’m not sure.”

The Architects were Abraham W. Geller & Ben Schlanger with Consulting Architect John T. Briggs. They might have been twins but the management treated them as two independent theaters with separate entrances, marquees, lounges and lobbies.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:04 am

The Cove & The Shore changed shows with Aldo Ray in “The Naked And The Dead” on August 27, 1958. The Rialto changed Sept 10, 1958 with Rock Hudson in “Twilight Of The Gods” & “Kathy O”. The Regent, sort of an anti Syosset, a clean functional nondescript neighborhood movie house day and dated with Syosset until Sept 17, 1958 when Gary Cooper in “Man Of The West” came in. All the while Syosset was Roadshow.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Nov 2, 2016 at 10:56 am

patryan6019 click on this site’s photo section up in the blue banner and all three ads should be there.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Oct 31, 2016 at 4:33 pm

patryan6019 You’re right August 18, 1958. Sorry.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:04 am

Hi patryan6019 Are you asking which theaters on LI played ATWI80D while The Syosset played it roadshow Todd-AO? If so, according to an ad for the week of August 18, 1957, it played at The Cove in Glen Cove, The Shore in Huntington, The Regent in Bayshore and The Rialto in Patchogue. Does that help?

NYer commented about Trans-Lux 52nd Street Theatre on Oct 15, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Opening day & anniversary ads for “Lili” in photo section.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:12 pm

The Exclusive Roadshow Presentation in TODD-AO of “Around The World In 80 Days” opened July 16, 1958 and played through October 30, 1958 even while the picture opened and closed at various non TODD-AO theaters around the island. It was replaced with the wide release of “The Bridge On The River Kwai” on October 31 1958.

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Sep 3, 2016 at 9:33 pm

“Cheyenne Autumn” 70MM Reserved Seat Roadshow engagement March 10, 1965- “April 12 1965”

“Mediterranean Holiday” 70MM Reserved Seat 70MM engagement April 14, 1965 until June 23rd “Sound Of Music”

“Cheyenne Autumn” ends exclusive at Syosset on Tuesday and opens all over the island the next day with the double feature “Goliath And The Sins Of Babylon” at popular prices.

NYer commented about 5th Avenue Cinema on Aug 7, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Now “A Brassierless Thing Of Beauty” made me laugh out loud. Now that’s a rave!

NYer commented about Syosset Triplex on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:29 pm

“West Side Story” played it’s last performance January 1 1963. The theater was closed until Jan 11th, to do tech for the roadshow limited engagement of “The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm” presented in CINERAMA.

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on Jun 9, 2016 at 4:09 pm

And Doris is still going strong at 94!

NYer commented about Overton Theatre on Jun 9, 2016 at 5:06 am

Eery, sad, yet still gorgeous and yes, begging to be restored.

NYer commented about Center Theatre on May 30, 2016 at 1:00 pm

It’s very cool seeing the Grand Dame’s various logos thru the decades.

NYer commented about October 1972 on May 30, 2016 at 6:44 am

October 1972

NYer commented about Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre on May 24, 2016 at 2:50 pm

June 1970

NYer commented about Rocky Point Cinema on May 23, 2016 at 5:22 pm

From what I can tell, the theater opened unceremoniously without an ad as a second run theater, playing such features as “Fiddler On The Roof” and “Sounder”. First show I could find was June 20,1973 with Steve McQueen in “The Getaway” and the Jack Lemmon comedy “The War Between Men and Women” and the last mainstream show was “Live & Let Die” and “Scorpio” on September 26, 1973. The next week they went “X” although softcore, with “All The Loving Couples” and “Is There Sex After Death?” but went hardcore soon after.

NYer commented about Radio City Music Hall on May 12, 2016 at 4:21 pm

No, I am not cineast and have no idea who that is. I have seen cineast has re-posted some of my posts to other theaters listed in ads but I have no problem with it. I have one account and this is it. I don’t post one sheets.

NYer commented about PlayStation Theater on May 10, 2016 at 4:48 am

Thank you Coate for all that hard work compiling it all. It’s appreciated.

NYer commented about Johnny All Weather Drive-In on May 9, 2016 at 6:55 am