Showing 4 comments
An update of the Cobian – Commonwealth- Wometco -Regency Caribbean and now Caribbean Cinemas the largest Theater Chain working in Puerto Rico and Managed by the son of Mr. Carrady.
This Teatro Puerto Rico is in Santurce, Puerto Rico. Lacated in Ponce de Leon Avenue and Lloeveras St. Retro must be remembering the famous Puerto Rico in New York City.
Historical Facts on the Paradise: Inagurated on December 12, 1945 it was a Cobian Theater marketed during the Inauguration as “The best in the Antilles” and also “As good as the Paramount”. Capacity was 1200 seats and it had a Mezzannine.
Inaugural show was “Rhapsody in Blue”
Antecedents: at the begining of the Century (1912) there was a Teatro Nuevo located at the same address which featured silent movies.
Last December 2005 Rio Piedras, (in conjunction with the 60th anniversary of its inauguration); the town where it is located celebrated a “Night for the Paradise”. There were several activities at the libraries around the area, conferences on the history of Rio Piedras Theaters, presentations of the rennovation plans, the street was closed and a genuine town party happened. Music, food, artisans. The theater was opened, cleaned and illuminated. There is no roof, but in the walls we played Cinema Paradiso as a great metephor. It wwas a beautiful, almost magic cativity. People did not want to leave!
About the origins of the Cine Puerto Rico on Ponce de Leon Avenue; it goes back to 1925, when it was built by as a silent movie house by renowned architect, Pedro De Castro for “United Theater”. Owner was Lloveras and the Architectural Style and facade was Art DÃ©co. For the first decades of the century it was considered as one of San Juan’s finest.