Showing 1 - 25 of 1,112 comments
This theatre has been closed for two months now due to building and fire code violations. If and when they will reopen is uncertain.
This theater closed on March 1, 2015.
It has reopened.
The building is for sale on Craigslist for $250,000: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bfs/4846667691.html
Address is 3265 Broad Street
Ed: The Winslow Block was originally a multistory building with multiple storefronts. In April 1908 the Happy Hour Theatre opened on the second floor. Four months later in August 1908 the Lyric Theatre opened in a storefront on the ground floor. In 1916 the Lyric moved upstairs taking over the former Happy Hour space and changed it name to the Strand Theatre. Therefore the Lyric that passed out of existence and was replaced by E Harrison Company was the space on the first floor of the building. In 1946 the building was remodeled and the Strand took over the entire building. If you look at the Google Street View of the State Street side of the Strand building you can see all the bricked-over windows and doors of those original first floor retail spaces.
1033 Park Street was the address, which is now a parking lot.
Address is 161 East Main St
Correct address was 400 Main St
I haven’t found any recent news about the Plaza. Anyone know if the effort to restore it has gone anywhere?
Comparing the postcard at http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=22944 to the modern Google street view one can clearly see by the buildings next to it that the Colonial would have been at 2 Broadway (not 1 Broadway). Now the question is, is the current building housing the Lazy Lobster restaurant a heavily modified Colonial Theatre or was the theatre demolished and this new building erected on the same footprint?
This is listed in the 1910 Fulton city directory as the Theatorium.
In 1910 the Hippodrome Theatre is listed in the city directory at 138 W Second Street. It must have preceded the Oswego Theatre and subsequently have been demolished to make room for the new theatre.
Address was 240 S Highland Ave.
Address was 7 Dietz St. It is now a dentist’s office.
OK – further research indicates that this is now the parking lot for the Bell Memorial Library, which would make the address 14 East Street.
If the 18 East Street address is right, a Bing Maps bird’s eye view shows that this theatre still appears to exist as Nunda Parts Plus.
There is an Oliver Theatre listed in 1914 at 358 Oliver St. The 1921 date give above must be a reopening.
Did anything ever happen with the restoration and reopening of this theatre? It doesn’t seem to be active.
This theatre has closed.
This theatre is now owned by Carmike.
Address is 413 State St.
The Star opened in 1909. Its address was 56 Church Street, and the building still exists. It is currently vacant.
Correct address was 40 John Street. The theatre opened in 1913 and sat 1050 people. It was demolished in September 1969.