Imperial Picture House

Uploaded By

Tiny HJHill

Featured Theater

More Photos

Photo Info

Uploaded on: July 22, 2014

Size: 999 KB

Views: 635

License: By

Imperial Picture House

The interior as photographed around the opening, 28 January 1921; and around 2006 when derelict.

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

Comments (1)

HJHill
HJHill on July 22, 2014 at 9:53 am

The projection room is very small. There is a 20 Sept 1930 newspaper report of the owners applying for, and receiving, licence to ‘extend’ the projection room by ‘three feet’. However, it looks not to have happened. The reason for wanting to extend was the ‘larger size of the new “talkie” apparatus’.

In the early weeks of 1930 a newspaper article looking back at 1929 refers to sound being installed at the Imperial.

There is a 14 Dec 1935 newspaper report of the owners being summoned as a result of a police spot-check one Saturday night discovering that patrons were being accommodated on chairs placed in the aisles and by the exits.

The colour photo shows the absence of decorative plater detail on the pilasters and ceiling cornice of the south wall; but it appears to be there in the old photo.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment